NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2022, 10:25 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The Top 10 Hoplites of the The Peloponnesian Wars

I hate to be regarded as a malcontent or contrarian and have enjoyed baseball since a very early age. However I find the continuing conversation on the site regarding who should or shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, the ranking various subsets of dead baseball players, and the speculation about how many home runs Judge would hit in 1923 or how many Ruth would hit in 2023 a bit jejune (look it up). Everyone who participates in such threads disagrees with everyone else and very few disagreements are settled. It's like trying to get 100% on a final exam where there isn't a correct answer. On Net54 everyone isn't even graded on a curve (not a curveball by the way).

Granted, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the relevance of everyone's opinion is sadly lacking. We rely on analytics that didn't exist 100 years ago. Let's face it, Ducky Medwick and Wahoo Crawford didn't have a WAR. They are rightly classified as prewar, but not preWAR. Statistics are wonderful and I love them, but I never forget the basic truth, Figures lie and liars figure.

So what's my point. The countless rating and ranking threads of old dead ballplayers could be replaced by the title of this thread. Maybe we should just speculate on the hammer price of a gem mint 2500 year old rookie Hoplite card.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:28 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

From my hoplitodromos collection

hoplitodromos.jpg

first included in the 520 BC olympics.

Eat your heart out Goldin.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:35 AM
Tom Boblitt

Your edibles may be losing their efficacy.......jus' sayin'
Old 10-06-2022, 10:57 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I must cast my vote for my main man, Thucydides, as the #1. I know there’s some hot takes on here:

1. Thucydides
2. Brasidas
3. Alcibiades
4. Pericles
5. Nicias
6. Cleon
7. Gylippus
8. Lysander
9. Antiochus
10. Mindarus
Old 10-06-2022, 11:02 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I hate to be regarded as a malcontent or contrarian and have enjoyed baseball since a very early age. However I find the continuing conversation on the site regarding who should or shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, the ranking various subsets of dead baseball players, and the speculation about how many home runs Judge would hit in 1923 or how many Ruth would hit in 2023 a bit jejune (look it up). Everyone who participates in such threads disagrees with everyone else and very few disagreements are settled. It's like trying to get 100% on a final exam where there isn't a correct answer. On Net54 everyone isn't even graded on a curve (not a curveball by the way).

Granted, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the relevance of everyone's opinion is sadly lacking. We rely on analytics that didn't exist 100 years ago. Let's face it, Ducky Medwick and Wahoo Crawford didn't have a WAR. They are rightly classified as prewar, but not preWAR. Statistics are wonderful and I love them, but I never forget the basic truth, Figures lie and liars figure.

So what's my point. The countless rating and ranking threads of old dead ballplayers could be replaced by the title of this thread. Maybe we should just speculate on the hammer price of a gem mint 2500 year old rookie Hoplite card.
Very astute point Frank! ++++
Old 10-06-2022, 11:05 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I mean…arguing with complete strangers about piffle is one of the primary reasons why Al Gore invented the internet.

So I say…let the debate rage. Rage on, my friends!

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-06-2022, 11:23 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I must cast my vote for my main man, Thucydides, as the #1. I know there’s some hot takes on here:

1. Thucydides
2. Brasidas
3. Alcibiades
4. Pericles
5. Nicias
6. Cleon
7. Gylippus
8. Lysander
9. Antiochus
10. Mindarus

11. Xerxes
Old 10-06-2022, 11:25 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
11. Xerxes
I think Persian Kings of Kings from before the war just can’t rack up enough Greek WAR to crack the top 10, but what a talent Xerxes I was.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:27 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:

1. Thucydides
2. Brasidas
3. Alcibiades
4. Pericles
5. Nicias
6. Cleon
7. Gylippus
8. Lysander
9. Antiochus
10. Mindarus

I’d rank Pericles as #1 since he was the General. Granted Thucydides wrote about it but I would rank him somewhere near the middle. But how can you leave out Socrates?

“An earlier post considered the Melian massacre and the Athenian conduct of war during the Peloponnesian War (link). Since we know that Socrates served as an armored infantry soldier during that war (a hoplite), it is reasonable to ask whether Socrates would have carried out atrocious orders involving the execution of prisoners, enslavement of women and children, and other acts of retaliation and punishment against the enemies of Athens.
In particular, would Socrates the hoplite have obeyed the order to slaughter the innocent? Ancient historian Mark Anderson offers a detailed analysis of the known context of Athenian warfare and Socrates' military history, and concludes that Socrates did not express moral opposition to these acts of war (Mark Anderson, "Socrates as Hoplite"; link). Anderson argues at length that Socrates was a hoplite during exactly these kinds of campaigns of retaliation, and that he never expressed any moral objection to them. Against the arguments of Gregory Vlastos and other scholars of Athenian philosophy, Anderson argues that the historical record of Socrates’ military service is fairly clear, and it is evident that his participation was voluntary, courageous, extended, and supportive. Anderson argues on the basis of these facts that Socrates did not offer moral objections to this dimension of Athenian military strategy.“

https://understandingsociety.blogspo...s-hoplite.html
Old 10-06-2022, 11:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Your observations are well received. I can't imagine anymore new Judge or whomever 2022 anything threads on the front page, at the current time. But it's some exciting baseball that can harken back to Ruth, Cobb, Matty etc...
To your point about countless ranking threads, I say poppycock!

We can always use more T206 threads!

Last edited by Leon; 10-06-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:29 AM

Athens had a prospect by the name of Testicles during the early part of the war. Everyone thought he might win rookie of the war but a groin injury took him out.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:31 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieP View Post
I’d rank Pericles as #1 since he was the General. Granted Thucydides wrote about it but I would rank him somewhere near the middle. But how can you leave out Socrates?

“An earlier post considered the Melian massacre and the Athenian conduct of war during the Peloponnesian War (link). Since we know that Socrates served as an armored infantry soldier during that war (a hoplite), it is reasonable to ask whether Socrates would have carried out atrocious orders involving the execution of prisoners, enslavement of women and children, and other acts of retaliation and punishment against the enemies of Athens.
In particular, would Socrates the hoplite have obeyed the order to slaughter the innocent? Ancient historian Mark Anderson offers a detailed analysis of the known context of Athenian warfare and Socrates' military history, and concludes that Socrates did not express moral opposition to these acts of war (Mark Anderson, "Socrates as Hoplite"; link). Anderson argues at length that Socrates was a hoplite during exactly these kinds of campaigns of retaliation, and that he never expressed any moral objection to them. Against the arguments of Gregory Vlastos and other scholars of Athenian philosophy, Anderson argues that the historical record of Socrates’ military service is fairly clear, and it is evident that his participation was voluntary, courageous, extended, and supportive. Anderson argues on the basis of these facts that Socrates did not offer moral objections to this dimension of Athenian military strategy.“

https://understandingsociety.blogspo...s-hoplite.html

This really comes down to a debate on how we value value. I ranked (totally didn’t just randomly jot the first 10 leaders of the war that came to me…. I would never do that!) them based upon their contributions to the war and only the war, not their broader contributions to humanity. If we’re ranking on lifetime net WAR, I would also put Socrates #1, with 365.36482847288483 points by my advanced math whose formula I cannot share for reasons.

My formula also shows that Socrates-Plato-Aristotle is the most valuable direct lineage teaching line in world history with a hair over 1,000 WAR.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

I thought Thucydides was exiled for his military failures. Odd choice for #1.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:34 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
11. Xerxes
Quote:
I think Persian Kings of Kings from before the war just can’t rack up enough Greek WAR to crack the top 10, but what a talent Xerxes I was.
Neither a Spartan or an Athenian and certainly above the Hoplite pay grade, Xerxes was on the wrong side of the fence for this thread.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:40 AM

Default Any Excuse :

;; ..". Let's face it, Ducky Medwick and Wahoo Crawford didn't have a WAR."
I was looking for an excuse to show off my Ducky Medwick 1934 Gold Medal Wheaties Premiums anyway. :

.. they were only off by two years , and "Goudey" was a pretty good guess .; I mean hey , c'mon , what do you expect for only $28 in fees .

Old 10-06-2022, 11:45 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Your observations are well received. I can't imagine anymore new Judge or whomever 2022 anything threads on the front page, at the current time. But it's some exciting baseball that can harken back to Ruth, Cobb, Matty etc...
To your point about countless ranking threads, I say poppycock!

We can always use more T206 threads!
I'll see your poppycock and raise you a falderol.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'll see your poppycock and raise you a falderol.
Platinum?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:06 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I thought Thucydides was exiled for his military failures. Odd choice for #1.
He was scapegoated by the fake news.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:55 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

The JD Drew of ancient Greece...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Med.jpg (82.7 KB, 323 views)
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:11 PM
Dave Johnson

I am partial to Pyrgopolynices, or even Palastreo who was pretty fast in the ol coloseum days.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:25 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Every thread need a card

Didn't have a card of a Hoplite. But perhaps a card of a 4th century BC Greek warship would suffice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (199.5 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (162.2 KB, 290 views)
Old 10-06-2022, 03:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Never ever forget to honor the service staff!! For centuries, Greeks have told wonderful stories about the man known as 'Sid Spinach' of Delos, whose carts sold very affordable spanakopita to the Spartan forces, keeping them well fed and ready for battle.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:25 PM
Rob

I have to say that I enjoy the baseball threads quite a bit more than this one.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:39 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Athens had a prospect by the name of Testicles during the early part of the war. Everyone thought he might win rookie of the war but a groin injury took him out.
It took a pair of brass one to post that.

I wonder how many people just skimmed right by and didn’t read it.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-06-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

I wonder how many people just skimmed right by and didn’t read it.
I groined when I read it.

Brian
Old 10-06-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That's nuts!
Old 10-06-2022, 09:34 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Statistics are wonderful and I love them, but I never forget the basic truth, Figures lie and liars figure.
Frank, long, long ago in an Accounting 101 class, I was taught that the basic truth is, "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure."
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:01 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Frank, long, long ago in an Accounting 101 class, I was taught that the basic truth is, "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure."
Or

Figures can lie when liars figure.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:36 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Jejune: naive, simplistic, and superficial.
Poppycock: nonsense.
Falderol: foolish talk.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:16 AM
MîçhćŁ ßöwŁßĄ

Quote:

1. Thucydides
2. Brasidas
3. Alcibiades
4. Pericles
5. Nicias
6. Cleon
7. Gylippus
8. Lysander
9. Antiochus
10. Mindarus
As part of my senior thesis class 'Works of Great Historians' we had to read part of "History of the Peloponnesian War" by Thucydides. Fortunately, it was the gravy class for history majors and you did not have to write a thesis. Show up for the class and participate in the discussions.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-07-2022, 05:50 AM
Albert Bee

Default thread

I find this quite funny and amusing !
Old 10-07-2022, 06:49 AM
Michael G0nz@lez

No love for Xenophon?
I know he only came in at the very end of the Dead Greek Era, and he did his best work over in the Persian Central League, but he should be in the Hall at least as an Ambassador of the Phalanx.

See the Want List for "Successful net54 transactions" list.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:38 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
No love for Xenophon?
I know he only came in at the very end of the Dead Greek Era, and he did his best work over in the Persian Central League, but he should be in the Hall at least as an Ambassador of the Phalanx.
No mention of Cyrus either?

Pfffttt

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC
Old 10-07-2022, 08:40 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Never ever forget to honor the service staff!! For centuries, Greeks have told wonderful stories about the man known as 'Sid Spinach' of Delos, whose carts sold very affordable spanakopita to the Spartan forces, keeping them well fed and ready for battle.
And we can't forget Dibleridies, who sold meat pies with a tiered pricing structure.
Meat pie 1 drachm,
identified meat pie 2 drachms. *

*Yes, a literary reference, hopefully there are other fans here.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:46 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFire82 View Post
Jejune: naive, simplistic, and superficial.
Poppycock: nonsense.
Falderol: foolish talk.
It looks like Net54 has a new linguistic scholar on board. He still needs to satisfy the punctuation requirements and the spelling test though, before getting the title of “Grammar Marm”, a respected seat in the boardroom. If he knows that yawl is a sailboat, he is well on his way.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-07-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:12 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Cyrus the Great predates the war a century, and Cyrus the Younger wasn’t fighting in that war. The Persian league never gets credit.

Xenophon wrote the sequel, but he didn’t have a lot of involvement with the Peloponnesian War directly.

Everyone should have to write a thesis on Thucydides.

I wonder how fast Alcibiades could throw a rock, and if he could make it curve.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

Falderol also means: 2. a trifle; gimcrack; gew-gaw. As in the title track from Guys and Dolls.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-07-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:33 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Falderol also means: 2. a trifle; gimcrack; gew-gaw. As in the title track from Guys and Dolls.
There was a conflict between the Fitness industry and the Plumbers and Pipefitters ultimately resolved in court regarding gimcrack.

The Fitness folks wanted to change the spelling to gymcrack for patrons with excessively tight or low-riding yoga pants.

The plumbers prevailed however and deleted the gim creating what is now known simply as a plumber’s crack.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-07-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:01 AM

I think Coaches Corner has a battle-used spear signed by Xerxes coming up for auction.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:10 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
I think Coaches Corner has a battle-used spear signed by Xerxes coming up for auction.
I hope Topps doesn’t buy it to cut up for their new Antiquated Antiquity Antiques relic inserts for 2023 Allen and Ginter.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:30 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

While Pericles held a good glove for the Athenian side, he could never hit a split finger fast ball and was eventually sent down to AAA Thebes.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:03 PM
Scott Russell

I almost posted a top 10 hot plates of Polynesian Apartments thread but thought that might be silly...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 10-07-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://youtu.be/6b7r5jIEe9s

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel.
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.
There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist,
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.
John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away,
Half a crate of whiskey every day.
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
And Hobbes was fond of his dram.
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart,
"I drink, therefore I am."
Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-07-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:00 PM
Frank Wakefield

Epicurus

How can you guys overlook Epicurus???

I continue to consider Hans Wagner the best ballplayer ever. I think Cobb was a better ballplayer than Ruth. And Ed Reulbach is an extremely overlooked player. Reckon Shohei Ohtani will one day start, finish and win both games of a double header? And if he does, will both wins be with shutouts???

https://sabr.org/journal/article/ed-...-doubleheader/

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-07-2022 at 09:02 PM.