NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Clint

Default question about PSA grading

Thanks for reading this, I recently bought a 1964 Pete Rose PSA 6 graded card off ebay and I found its grade to be interesting. I am aware the grading companies are sometimes very inconsistent but I guess I am just looking for opinions from people here on the board who are more familiar with PSA's grading guidelines. The Rose card in question has absolutely pristine corners, a clean back and no creases/wrinkles. It is however slightly off center, appears somewhat out of focus kind of like motion blur(look at the "C" on pete's hat)?, and has a couple spots on the front of the card that appear to either be ink blotches or wax stains. Also compared to another Rose 1964 card I have the overall color appears to be a bit more dull. Is it common for cards from this set to have print defects and/or have the picture out of focus? Shouldn't this card be graded an 8 or 9 with qualifiers or is it common practice for PSA to simply ignore the qualifiers and downgrade the card? I should also note that overall, I am fairly happy with the card but am just curious. The auction link with pic is below, any help/opinions are appreciated

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidebaseball View Post
Is it common for cards from this set to have print defects and/or have the picture out of focus? Shouldn't this card be graded an 8 or 9 with qualifiers or is it common practice for PSA to simply ignore the qualifiers and downgrade the card? I should also note that overall, I am fairly happy with the card but am just curious. The auction link with pic is below, any help/opinions are appreciated
It's not common for those cards to be out of focus, but as you can see with yours, it does happen. I think the card could have easily graded an 8 with a qualifier - PD (print defect) or OC (off center) - take your choice. My guess is that the submitter requested no qualifiers and that knocked it down a couple of grades to make up for the qualifier.

Nice card by the way and as long as you're happy with it, it doesn't matter what the slab says.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Clint

Thanks for the response David, I wasn't aware that you could request no qualifiers as I have never submitted a card on my own. Good to know. I did a little looking on ebay and found another 1964 card that has a very similar print defect along the side:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-Topps-182-S...item3360046804

thanks again for the help
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidebaseball View Post
I wasn't aware that you could request no qualifiers as I have never submitted a card on my own. Good to know.

Yup, if you'll write "no qualifiers" at the top of the submission form, they will honor your request most of the time - but it usually knocks the grade down 1 or 2 points.