NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Richard Simon

Default RIP -Bob Feller passes away

I don't know any details but Bob Feller has just passed away.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sad day

A sad day for baseball.. Rest in peace Mr. Feller.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ies_at_92.html

Last edited by Leon; 12-15-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:03 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Got to meet him less than a year ago. Tough as nails. A TRUE American Hero! many players served in WWII but not many signed up the day after Pearl Harbor! Had it not been for the war Bob would have easily been in the 300/3000 club. RIP Bob, last of a dying breed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me&feller.jpg (66.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Barry Arnold

Default feller

a sad day indeed.
one of the last of the giants has passed

my condolences to family, friends, fans

barry
Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

One of the last links between us and Ruth/Gehrig days has passed. Mr. Feller missed pitching to Ruth by a year (but knew him well) and did pitch against Gehrig...I believe Bobby Doerr is the last living hof'er to play against Gehrig.
I had the honor of meeting him 2 years ago in Cooperstown and I'm sure glad I got the chance.
Here's a couple of photos...one from that day and my favorite picture of him that he signed in my HOF book. RIP Mr. Feller, and thank you for your service to our country in WWII.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1019.jpg (76.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0871.jpg (75.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Got to meet him less than a year ago. Tough as nails. A TRUE American Hero! many players served in WWII but not many signed up the day after Pearl Harbor! Had it not been for the war Bob would have easily been in the 300/3000 club. RIP Bob, last of a dying breed.
Yes, very sad about Feller. I had the opportunity to get his sig and talk to him quite a few times through the last 15-20 years. Mostly he was engaging with a few exceptions. I was hoping to catch up with him one more time, but it was not to be, unfortunately...

My most favorite experiences include:

-The day that he signed all 3 of his no-hitter tickets in my collection and walked me through all of the players that were on a WWII Navy team ball that I purchased many years ago. He not only remembered each player, but he also gave me a detailed analysis of their background and his personal scouting report on each. His memory was truly AMAZING!
- The time he talked baseball with 10 year old son Sam for about 10 minutes. BTW, this was the last time I got his sig about a year ago.

I've attached photos of "Rapid" Robert in action in 1946. Feller unexpectedly got roped into an unexpected promotional speed test on August 20, 1946 at Washington DC by Nats owner Calvin Griffith. The visiting Cleveland Indians were in town and Griffith decided that they would pre-announce a special "speed test" to measure the speed of Feller's legendary heater. The only problem was that he forgot to ask Feller about his willingness to participate in the event (minor oversight). When Feller heard about this he turned it into a moneymaking opportunity and negotiated a deal with Griffith to do it for somewhere between $500-$1000 dollars. When you apply today's standards for measurement of speed, Feller's fastest pitch was measured at a staggering 107.9 MPH, second only to a Nolan Ryan fastball measured by aerospace company Rockwell Intl. on August 20, 1974 at 108.1 MPH.

I just picked up the Type I photo to this game in the Henry Yee auction this week. I also have included a photo of the ticket that I own to the speed test game in 1946. Great companion pieces to add to a 1940's vintage game used AL baseball that he signed a few years ago where he added 107.9 MPH below his signature.

RIP Bob!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-16-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Scott, those are great companion pieces. I had never heard about that speed test, let alone seen a ticket from that game. Nice!
By the way...odd how Feller's and Ryan's speed test were on the same date (Aug 20th).
Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Scott, those are great companion pieces. I had never heard about that speed test, let alone seen a ticket from that game. Nice!
By the way...odd how Feller's and Ryan's speed test were on the same date (Aug 20th).
Thanks Mike! I've thought the same about the coincidence on the 8/20 dates for both Ryan and Feller. I attended the Ryan 8/20/74 game in Anaheim. Ironically, I caught my first foul ball in this game. A Nolan Ryan pitch fouled off by Ron Leflore. Ryan's 108.1 MPH victim (measured by todays measurement standard) was Leflore. He fanned him 4 times in this game that he struck out 19 batters (Ron Leflore was K # 19 too!), but lost to Mickey Lolich and the Tigers 1-0 in extra innings (I think it went 10 innings). Tough loss- yikes!

Another irony: I believe 1946 was Feller's best year and I believe that statistics bear this out. 348 K's, a no-hitter against and unbelieveable Yankees lineup featuring Joe D., 26 wins, 10 shutouts and a miserly 2.18 ERA. He pitched on 8/20 after the speed test (held before the game started) and lost his game as well.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-18-2010 at 06:45 AM.