NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2020, 07:44 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default Pedigree cards

Sorry if this has been discussed before, and/or if this is a stupid question (I seem to ask those often), but is there any sort of premium attached to cards that come from certain collections? I know I have paid a little bit more for a couple of cards from the Lionel Carter and Charles Bray collections, as I think it is neat to have something that was once part of a hobby pioneer's collection.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:08 AM
Robert Williams

I didn't notice any great benefit from having Lionel Carter cards in the past. Maybe times have changed.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed before, and/or if this is a stupid question (I seem to ask those often), but is there any sort of premium attached to cards that come from certain collections? I know I have paid a little bit more for a couple of cards from the Lionel Carter and Charles Bray collections, as I think it is neat to have something that was once part of a hobby pioneer's collection.
If it's a real pioneer then yes there is usually a little premium. If it is something stupid like Collectors Collection, then no. Those are my experiences.
At least I will pay a little premium.

Last edited by Leon; 06-03-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:23 AM
Chris Rudd

Is that a premium from a card without a stamp or a card with a mark or "joe blow" stamp? In general, how much does a stamp (or a mark) bring down the card's value?
Old 06-03-2020, 11:34 AM
Ben North

I happily paid a huge premium for 3 cards from the Ted Williams collection. There is only one other person I would pay a premium for.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:54 AM

I am not a card collector, but I will pay a premium for what I call associational items, especially books that were owned by someone important to the author or related to the subject matter in some way. I would think the same would apply to cards that belonged to collecting pioneers or ball players. The closest I have to an associational Card is the Warren cdv of George Wright that was his own copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC8AE7AF-D132-4891-911A-C9A09213DF73.jpg (9.5 KB, 367 views)
Old 06-05-2020, 01:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnut View Post
Is that a premium from a card without a stamp or a card with a mark or "joe blow" stamp? In general, how much does a stamp (or a mark) bring down the card's value?
That is a rather subjective and relative question. It depends on what the stamp looks like and where it is. How distracting is it?

As for provenance and paying for it, as mentioned I would pay a little more for some items, not all.

That said, and I like it, but the premium is sometimes overshadowed by the card.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Chris Rudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That is a rather subjective and relative question. It depends on what the stamp looks like and where it is. How distracting is it?

As for provenance and paying for it, as mentioned I would pay a little more for some items, not all.

That said, and I like it, but the premium is sometimes overshadowed by the card.

I guess maybe the better (at least from an objective standpoint) question would be how it would grade? Let's take, for example, the typical purple name backstamp on an otherwise T206 that would grade a 5. Does it differ per grading company?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2020, 03:08 PM
David M.

Great card Leon. Here's another Lionel Carter card. I'm sure he had plenty of T206's to choose from and picked this one. I'm honestly not sure why it's only an SGC40.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Rube Marquard SGC40 Front.jpg (77.7 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg T206 Rube Marquard SGC40 Back.jpg (78.1 KB, 302 views)
Old 06-06-2020, 01:39 AM

Nice Marquard. I think it didn't get a higher grade because Rube didn't want to smile while they were making your card.

Brian (smiles get instant grade bumps from me)
Old 06-06-2020, 07:54 AM

I believe that there should be a premium. Knowing the pedigree of a card and that it hasn’t been altered should add value.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:16 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I believe that there should be a premium. Knowing the pedigree of a card and that it hasn’t been altered should add value.
I've had quite a few Lionel Carter's that were altered like this E90 Demmitt.
He was an avid collector & would get a "filler" for his set & try to upgrade it later

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 06-06-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:17 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default the highest pedigree

OK, I admit I added the personalization on the flip, but it really was from Leon's collection! And now it's mine!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fc-montecross modified.jpg (31.2 KB, 200 views)
Old 06-06-2020, 11:01 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
OK, I admit I added the personalization on the flip, but it really was from Leon's collection! And now it's mine!!!
That's pretty cool. I might pay $.30 cents for the quarter that he uses in his photos.

Last edited by Mark; 06-06-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:24 PM
Richard

When I think of the concept of pedigree in collectibles, the first thing that comes to mind is comic books. Established historical pedigrees in comics are quite popular among collectors and in some cases can increase market value significantly.

Pedigree comics tend to have a personalized mark repeated throughout the collection (typically handwritten or stamped on the cover) that signifies who the owner was. A good example of this in cards would be those from Jefferson Burdick's collection with the personalized stamps on the reverse.

I personally enjoy pedigree cards given their history and lineage and I feel that the cards with personalized marks are especially great since they represent a physical interaction between the collector and the collectible itself. But without a mark of provenance, I can understand why other collectors may look at an unmarked card as just another card in a holder and not want to pay a premium for its pedigree.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:46 PM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
I am not a card collector, but I will pay a premium for what I call associational items, especially books that were owned by someone important to the author or related to the subject matter in some way. I would think the same would apply to cards that belonged to collecting pioneers or ball players. The closest I have to an associational Card is the Warren cdv of George Wright that was his own copy.
Fabulous!!!
Old 06-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
That's pretty cool. I might pay $.30 cents for the quarter that he uses in his photos.
I'll take the bid to dollar.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
That's funny. Always like that haircut is why I had that one for my type.