NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2023, 06:06 AM
Jim Reynolds

Default Card soaking - the results!

Last week I asked for opinions here and on the non-sports site about soaking glue off a vintage Allen and Ginter card.

Some people felt that the card had already been soaked based on the photos. I was positive that was not true because I could feel the glue across the back and see the brushstrokes from whatever was used to apply it. I knew that the glue was still there.

Others felt that soaking would have no effect on the card whatsoever, and it would look the same as when I started.

Last night, I finally got around to trying. First, I used a pencil eraser to remove the dealer’s pencil markings. Then, I filled a shallow aluminum pan with about 1 inch of very warm tapwater. I placed the card, glue side up in the pan and as it began to float, I rested the bowl part of a metal spoon on the top section of the card where there seemed to be no glue. I let it soak for about 8 to 10 minutes and then took a Q-tip and gently rubbed the back of the card while still underwater. I could see that even before I got to the Q-tip, the glue appeared to be virtually all gone. I removed the card from the water, placed it in a paper towel, covering both sides, and put a heavy object on top of it. I replaced the paper towel a few times and then left it overnight. Here are the final results.

The original card and the soaked version:

Resulting thoughts - it worked! The glue came off and the card looks great! There seemed to be no issue with loss of printing or color on the front of the card. It looks exactly the same.

ETA - After looking at the photos online, there does seem to be some areas where the printing is a bit lighter than on the original. Not sure if that was from the soaking or is a function of the light when the photo was taken. In either case, I'm still happy.

The one thing that I thought especially interesting was that the glue seemed to offer a protective coating to the card. Where the glue was, you can see what looks like the original color of the card stock. Around the areas where the glue was not present, you can see the hundred plus years of dirt and staining which affected the card.

Thanks all for your input.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64E1F947-0698-4CBA-9E97-87D92C31D226.jpg (209.7 KB, 1280 views)
File Type: jpg 165CB268-F4F0-48B7-BC0C-6BC0BCAAE26C.jpg (225.9 KB, 1286 views)

Last edited by Vintagedeputy; 07-27-2023 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Add'l info
Old 07-27-2023, 06:10 AM
Albert Bee

Default soak

yes, much better ..no doubt
Old 07-27-2023, 06:14 AM

Nothing better than a $2 investment to help you learn the ins and outs of soaking a 135 year old card! We can be very thankful for the existence of these non-sport A&Gs.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 07-27-2023 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-27-2023, 06:39 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Nothing better than a $2 investment to help you learn the ins and outs of soaking a 135 year-old card! We can be very thankful for the existence of these non-sport A&Gs.
Agreed! Very thankful. If my attempts had ruined the card though, I'd still be sad even though I had only invested $2 but since it came out looking so nice, I am quite happy with the results!
Old 07-27-2023, 06:52 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
Agreed! Very thankful. If my attempts had ruined the card though, I'd still be sad even though I had only invested $2 but since it came out looking so nice, I am quite happy with the results!

Congrats and hopefully you doubled your money

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-27-2023, 06:54 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post

Congrats and hopefully you doubled your money
It may have even tripled!
Old 07-27-2023, 08:57 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Congratulations

You are now officially graduated as a Card Doctor LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2684.jpeg (19.5 KB, 1161 views)
Old 07-27-2023, 09:12 AM

Have you thought about just getting the glue area wet? (i.e. I don't see why the whole card - especially put face down - needs to be soaked)
NY Highlanders & Fed League Signatures
....and Japanese Menko Baseball Cards

https://japanesemenkoarchive.blogspot.com/
Old 07-27-2023, 10:56 AM
Robert Williams

I think this is awesome. That being said, I am totally terrified of submerging a card under water. Totally.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:04 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Nice work!

"That card has been bleeched, pressed, recolored and microtrimmed."
-BODA experts
Old 07-27-2023, 12:19 PM
James M

Nice job, came out great imo.

I completed my first soak of T205s a few weeks ago. Was very nervous, but it was super easy, and the result was great. Slow and steady and there is really nothing to fear.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:30 PM
Jay Cee

I’ve noticed that TPGs don’t put as much emphasis on the surface of the card, but it’s mainly about the corners and sides.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:42 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbond View Post
Have you thought about just getting the glue area wet? (i.e. I don't see why the whole card - especially put face down - needs to be soaked)
Everything I've read from different sources say to soak the entire card. I think it would be incredibly difficult to apply warm water to only the glue area and keep the rest of the card dry.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:43 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I think this is awesome. That being said, I am totally terrified of submerging a card under water. Totally.
I was nervous too, but I knew that I only paid $2 for the card. Also, the thicker card stock of the A&G cards made me confident that the card's integrity would hold up, compared to maybe some thinner issues.
Old 07-27-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:

If that's a fear you want to conquer, these cheap non-sport cards would help you overcome it! You wouldn't have to "graduate" to expensive material if you didn't want to, and it might just turn your fear into a fun project.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:38 AM
Frank Wakefield

Well done, Jim. And thank you for the "Results".

Thoughts to consider:
Soaking that card, the entire card, would be safe because the card isn't going to instantly disolve, the card is porous, and the glue isn't just on the surface of the back, a bit is likely to have soaked in... so soaking the entire card lets that 'inside' glue migrate out while immersed in water.

Q-Tips... Q-Tips are fine, but if a longer soaking (10 minutes is very short soak) allows the glue to release, then let soaking do more of the work and you can minimize the Q-Tip scrubbing.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

We had a very acidic scrapbook that was almost entirely trade cards. It was bad enough that the pages cracked when turning them making damage to the cards likely.

That was fun soaking, probably close to 100 cards, some closer to T3 size and thin.

Just letting the water do its thing made it easy.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:44 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post

Thoughts to consider:
Soaking that card, the entire card, would be safe because the card isn't going to instantly disolve, the card is porous, and the glue isn't just on the surface of the back, a bit is likely to have soaked in... so soaking the entire card lets that 'inside' glue migrate out while immersed in water.

Q-Tips... Q-Tips are fine, but if a longer soaking (10 minutes is very short soak) allows the glue to release, then let soaking do more of the work and you can minimize the Q-Tip scrubbing.
In hindsight, the Q-tip scrubbing was probably unnecessary. I just wanted to ensure that no goop remained. The water did remarkably well.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:02 PM
Bruce C@rter

I have soaked several scrap books loose. It is amazing how resilient the cards are. I have soaked some as long as 24 hours to get them to loosen with no harm. I use Q-tips and cotton balls to clean extra glue off. Just dry them between 2 sheets of white paper inside a book with weight on them so they don't get waves in them.

Last edited by Texxxx; 07-28-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:07 PM
Jim Reynolds

Here’s the final verdict from SGC:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4306.jpg (113.0 KB, 786 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4289.jpg (57.9 KB, 781 views)
Old 09-25-2023, 12:14 PM
Frank Wakefield

I know you were anxious about the process, you did well.

jjBond, if you only get the back wet, then the "dry" side of the card would wick the glue/paste/water fluid further into the cardstock... that's not what you want.

That card looks great! Congratulations!
Old 09-25-2023, 12:17 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
I know you were anxious about the process, you did well.

jjBond, if you only get the back wet, then the "dry" side of the card would wick the glue/paste/water fluid further into the cardstock... that's not what you want.

That card looks great! Congratulations!
Thank you!!!! I’m very pleased.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:20 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Nice work!

"That card has been bleeched, pressed, recolored and microtrimmed."
-BODA experts
You just won my heart.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:21 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Everything I've read from different sources say to soak the entire card. I think it would be incredibly difficult to apply warm water to only the glue area and keep the rest of the card dry.
Yes, you have to soak the entire card. Otherwise you'll end up with tide lines. And you don't want tide lines.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:28 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:

Thoughts to consider:

^^^This! 100%

Don't be afraid to let the card soak much longer. You don't want to have to scrub the surface at all if you don't have to. You will almost certainly cause damage even if you think you're being extremely gentle. If the glue is water solube, then let the water do its job. You usually don't need to assist it. I've soaked cards for an entire week before. You're not going to damage it by soaking it for a few hours, or even overnight.

However, some cards will get damaged if you soak them for multiple days. Just depends on the card stock. I wouldn't soak a 52 or 53 Topps for days, but you could soak a 54 Topps for a month.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:35 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
In hindsight, the Q-tip scrubbing was probably unnecessary. I just wanted to ensure that no goop remained. The water did remarkably well.
In the rare case where a Q-tip is necessary, you definitely don't want to scrub with it. Just gently roll it across the surface first, underwater.

Also, if you're going to be soaking more cards in the future, you should get yourself a roll of the Viva Signature Cloth paper towels. They're the best option for the drying phase, IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg viva.jpeg (59.9 KB, 742 views)
Old 09-25-2023, 12:36 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
^^^This! 100%

Don't be afraid to let the card soak much longer. You don't want to have to scrub the surface at all if you don't have to. You will almost certainly cause damage even if you think you're being extremely gentle. If the glue is water solube, then let the water do its job. You usually don't need to assist it. I've soaked cards for an entire week before. You're not going to damage it by soaking it for a few hours, or even overnight.

However, some cards will get damaged if you soak them for multiple days. Just depends on the card stock. I wouldn't soak a 52 or 53 Topps for days, but you could soak a 54 Topps for a month.
Always test a cheap common before a HOFer if you have never tried soaking that year of card before. How long you can soak a card varies greatly by year/brand.

To the OP, very nice result. The card looks amazing.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:03 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Always test a cheap common before a HOFer if you have never tried soaking that year of card before. How long you can soak a card varies greatly by year/brand.

To the OP, very nice result. The card looks amazing.
Thank you, Ben!
Old 09-25-2023, 01:58 PM
Robert Williams

Do you think the warm water made a difference or would cold have worked just as good?
Old 09-25-2023, 03:31 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Do you think the warm water made a difference or would cold have worked just as good?
I 100% believe that you need to use warm water, if not hot to get the glue to loosen up.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:09 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Warm water always works better/faster. I use a machine-washable heat pad when I soak cards. I just place it underneath the Pyrex containers I use and wrap it around. Works great. And I'll put a couple of dice or poker chips on the cards to keep them submerged in the water until they're fully soiled. Usually, you can take those off after a few minutes and the card won't float after that (again, depending on the card stock; as some cards are floaters no matter how long they've been submerged).

Here are some pics of my setup and a link to the heat pad I use as well as the 4x6 glass containers I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Enrichme.../dp/B01KVYTV86

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5LZ4GX

Attached Images
File Type: jpg setup.jpg (195.6 KB, 634 views)
Old 09-25-2023, 05:22 PM
Frank Wakefield

As the temperature of the water increases, so does the possibility of fading the ink on the front. That's my experience. I use tap water and patience. (My tap water is ok, I happily drink it; buying distilled water is overkill.)
Old 09-27-2023, 03:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Here’s the final verdict from SGC:
Nice bath. Congrats!
Old 09-27-2023, 06:14 PM
Chris Counts

Here are a couple 1941 Play Ball cards that I successfully soaked out of a scrapbook.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:13 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Nice bath. Congrats!
Thanks, Leon!
Old 09-27-2023, 08:15 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
Here are a couple 1941 Play Ball cards that I successfully soaked out of a scrapbook.
Those are pretty sweet!
Old 09-28-2023, 10:41 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

At one time wasn't using distilled water rather than tap recommended?
Old 09-28-2023, 11:04 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Depends on how nasty your tap/well water is. The water here has way too many chemicals in it. It leaves a white chalky residue on everything.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:18 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I always use distilled water. I suppose if your water is as pure as the fallen snow, then give it a go. But a gallon of distilled water is about $1.50 here in CA. I think it's worth getting.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:46 PM
Chuck Tapia

Great job...I want to soak ALL MY CARDS NOW!
Old 09-28-2023, 05:49 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Most already have been with some of them multiple times.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:20 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Thanks! I only paid like $2 for the card so it was a small risk.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:21 PM

I'm an autograph guy. Haven't been into unsigned cards for decades, but had always wanted to try my hand at soaking. Finally had the opportunity when I discovered this beauty pasted onto the back of a rather meaningless signed album page. For my first attempt, I was definitely pleased! Have had the occasion to try a couple of other times since, but the cards weren't practically pack fresh like this thing!

I do notice now that this one could benefit from an additional soaking to remove that staining from where it had been pressed against the facing album page for 70+ years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-09-28 20.14.35.jpg (185.0 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg 2023-09-28 20.14.59.jpg (189.9 KB, 279 views)
Old 09-28-2023, 07:35 PM
Robert Williams

Do you have a BEFORE pic?
Old 09-29-2023, 02:39 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
I do notice now that this one could benefit from an additional soaking to remove that staining from where it had been pressed against the facing album page for 70+ years.
The facing album page must be more acidic than the card because that stain looks like acid damage to me. That won't come out just by soaking it in water longer.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:15 AM

Bobby: I do have a before pic somewhere, but it's nothing interesting. It's only of the front of the card on the album page. I can tell you that after separating card from page, only a lone spot of paste remained on the back. This was removed with a Q-Tip. It was definitely attached to the album page with much more than that one spot of substance. The rest seemingly dissolved in the bath.

Travis: Thanks for your experienced insight, which I agree with. It's too bad no further improvement can be made, but I'm still very content with the result since this was my inaugural attempt.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-29-2023 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:24 AM
bi11h00d

A couple of 'scientific' concepts that might help with soaking are using a larger bath volume and more frequent bath changes.

Last edited by Prof_Plum; 09-29-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Phil Garry

We should just be able to send our album pages to PSA and have them soak the cards, remove them and then grade and encapsulate. Works for the comic book industry with CGC pressing and then grading books. Why not cards?

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 09-29-2023 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:07 AM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
We should just be able to send our album pages to PSA and have them soak the cards, remove them and then grade and encapsulate. Works for the comic book industry with CGC pressing and then grading books. Why not cards?
When it comes to PSA, it’s usually the customer that gets the soaking.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:22 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Travis: Thanks for your experienced insight, which I agree with. It's too bad no further improvement can be made, but I'm still very content with the result since this was my inaugural attempt.
Further improvements can be made. But it would require something else in addition to just water.