NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-22-2020, 09:15 AM
Mark Rios

Default AVOID! - A1Gloverepair - Gordon King

Avoid this crook!

Sent him my Rawlings Model HH,
Seven weeks ago.

No glove return, no return emails, no response to texts and no return calls.

I will be reporting him to the Better Business bureau.

- Mark
Old 08-22-2020, 12:59 PM
Tony Baldwin

I watched his video on YouTube, seems legit. I had an issue like this before, only to find out later the seller was in the hospital. Could be a similar situation.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:11 PM
Tony Baldwin

Use a different email to contact him inquiring about using his services. If he responds, then you’ll know for sure.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:40 AM
Tony Baldwin

In fairness to Mr. King, he asked me to post his Better Business Bureau response to Mr. Rios’ complaint:

BBB,

Mark Rios sent a glove to me to re-string and recondition. I called Mr. Rios upon receipt of the glove, as I do with all customers shipping gloves. Unfortunately, I was unable to get into his voice mail to leave a message acknowledging receipt.

In his complaint, he said that I did not respond to his calls. According to my cell phone details, he made two calls: 8-17-20, which I explain later* and one on 8-22-20 @ 10:50 AM, that I was unable to answer, wherein he left no voice mail.

In two emails to follow this one, I will be forwarding two emails I sent to Mr. Rios, which should put to rest the issue of not responding to his emails.

*Mr. Rios called me last week (8-17-20 @ 1:27 PM), at which time we spoke for a brief few minutes. The brevity of the call, was due to my not wishing to hear vulgar (F Bomb) language. So, after about 60 seconds, I hung up. I was unable to say much more than hello, as he began speaking without pause in an angry demanding tone, telling e what I was going to do and when I was going to do it. Isn't interesting that that phone call was not included in his complaint.

Insofar as credibility, I have been doing this work full time for quite some time. If you check out my website, you can easily see testimonials from 2013 through 2020. I realize those may not have anything to do with this case, I feel it is worth mentioning.

To be very specific, his glove is far from being worth $ 250.00. It is considerably old. I can provide pictures from my receipt of his glove, if you wish.

In my work, I do a lot of glove restoration. Therefore, based on the age of a glove and more importantly, the condition I receive it in, work can take some time.

The older a glove the longer it takes. My reason for that, is older gloves have leather that is dry in places or may have cracking or "alligatoring". These types of things, make it necessary to take things methodically.

He accuses me of being a crook. I can confirm receiving his glove and money.
I sent two emails to him and answered his vulgar language call.

His glove is in my possession. It was not damaged, lost or stolen. He knows that.

Now you know it.

He is angry, although I cannot figure out why. He was not lied to or promised something I didn't deliver, nor did I deceive him.

Mr. Rios did not request a specific return by date. Nor did I promise him a set return date. Therefore, I am not sure why he is so upset.

He will have his glove mailed back on 8-24-20. If he would have acted appropriately in his call of 8-17-20, and simply asked when the glove would be returned, I'd have told him I had a target date set for shipping on 8-24-20.

Please know that I don't charge as much as others in the USA who do this kind of work. I have a small reasonably successful business and don't get anything out of unhappy customers. I try to treat every glove as it were my very own.

Just to review things, for both our benefit:

Mr. Rios sent me a glove and money to re-string and recondition his glove.

I tried to reach him acknowledging receipt of the glove and his voice mail was apparently full. At any rate, his voice mail would not allow me to leave a message.

Then I began work on his glove, which consists of removing all strings and ensuring the glove is clean before restoration of the leather commences. (In the case of Mr. Rios glove, it had oil residue and dirt on the outside of the glove surface.)

I responded to an email of his on 8-3-20. (For clarity, I custom cut strings from whole bovine steer hides, that eventually get installed in the gloves. I wanted you to understand my reference in this email to the term "cutting strings".)

By the way, I mention in my 8-3-20 email that I had a surgery. So, I was upfront and honest with him, perhaps more than I needed to be. However, as a professional at what I do, I prefer to tell the truth.

I answered a call from him on 8-17-20. (After about a minute of his demanding, ordering, angry tirade, he used a vulgar word and I hung up. I work with my customers, not for them. Therefore, that kind of behavior is unacceptable.)

I responded to an email of his on 8-22-20.

Please look for my forward of two emails that I reference above. I will note the complaint number in both subject lines as well as, Mr Rios name.

In most cases, my customers chose me. I accept most gloves that are submitted, as I am confident that I can provide a positive result.

I find it rather peculiar that an individual would submit a claim to you, as well as write a Facebook post and a Yelp post, before he received his glove back. As I note in my email of 8-22-20, to Mr. Rios, none of those tactics changed when his glove would be ready for return shipping.

Should you need anything additional or need to speak with me directly, you have my number below.

Gordon C. King, Owner
A1 Glove Repair, LLC.
6134 Stumph Rd. Ste. 308
Parma, Ohio 44130
440-655-2674
gking@a1gloverepair.com
WWW.A1GloveRepair.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (76.2 KB, 920 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (78.0 KB, 930 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (76.5 KB, 926 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (73.6 KB, 928 views)
File Type: jpg 8-24-2020 1-27-07 PM.jpg (70.2 KB, 934 views)
File Type: jpg 8-24-2020 1-28-24 PM.jpg (79.4 KB, 921 views)
Old 08-24-2020, 11:48 AM
Tony Baldwin

The purpose of me getting involved in this is because I've seen so many times where customers are so impatient and sometimes overreact. I've experienced it many times as a seller, and I received many unfair negative feedback and untrue negative posts about me as a seller.

Mr. Rios posted on this site on 12 Jul 20 asking for advice about a glove repair service. On 16 Jul 20, he posted he found A1 Glove Repair. In mid-august, he files a complaint with the BBB. It takes much more time to repair gloves than that. And has shown, issue with communication was a factor.

This man has a business, which provides a service to this hobby. I think it's only fair that he have his say in this.

Thanks, Tony

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 08-24-2020 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-24-2020, 01:26 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
Mr. Rios posted on this site on 12 Jul 20 asking for advice about a glove repair service. On 16 Jul 20, he posted he found A1 Glove Repair. In mid-august, he files a complaint with the BBB. It takes much more time to repair gloves than that. And has shown, issue with communication was a factor.

This man has a business, which provides a service to this hobby. I think it's only fair that he have his say in this.

Thanks, Tony

Thank you Tony.

Well Mark, I have to say that from the information provided in this thread, I'm feeling most sympathetic towards Mr. King from A1 Glove Repair.

Doug "and I don't even need a glove repaired" Goodman

Last edited by doug.goodman; 08-24-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:59 PM
David L.

Just for the record, the only time I’ve dealt with the original poster he flew off the handle and sent me a profane personal msg when I sent him the wrong $4 card (I got the card designation wrong). He thought he was getting a several hundred dollar card for $4 and was livid when that was not the case.

He then proceeded to try to blow up my for-sale thread stating how I did him wrong. I refunded the $4 and never heard back. I’d be weary of dealing with this individual. We all make mistakes and have bad days. Some of us just choose to act like adults when that happens. I wouldn’t deal with the OP again if he offered me double my asking price. It seems like others have found him to be caustic as well.

See posts four and five.

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=283956

David Lu$ti$

Last edited by david_l; 08-24-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:13 PM
Matt

As my Father has always told me....'There's two sides to every story'.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:09 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I'm glad someone posted the seller response, so many times their names get dragged through the mud and not even know about it, let alone respond to it.

There are 3 sides to every story, the sellers story, the buyers story and the truth. I know which story I believe is closest to the truth.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:20 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Mark, you were logged on earlier when I read this, and I see you are logged in now. Do you disagree with King's statements? You started this, make it right, either back up what you said or admit you were wrong.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:32 AM

OT
One positive is guaranteed to come out of this for Gordon the glove restorer.
I called him this morning after reading this thread and plan to have him do a minor restringing restoration project to the webbing of a 1939 D & M Johnny Vander Meer model glove that I acquired a year ago.
I'll give him my business

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-25-2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I spoke with Gordon yesterday when I was alerted to this thread. He seems like a very good guy and definitely a person I would give my business to. Very ethical and methodical.

Mark, on the other hand, seems to have some anger or impatience issues. Sometimes I suffer from the latter too but I don't report people for it or go bat ass crazy.

Last edited by Leon; 08-25-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:58 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
OT
I called him this morning after reading this thread and plan to have him do a minor restringing restoration project to the webbing of a 1939 D & M Johnny Vander Meer model glove that I acquired a year ago.
Scott, that's a nice glove. Leather still looks good after 80 years. My '65 Rawlings Wally Bunker isn't in nearly that good condition. This thread has prompted me to finally send it in for a refurb. Been meaning to do it for a long time.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:30 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Tough enough to be an entrepreneur and small business owner in this day and age without irrational customers trying to ruin your business.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:49 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
OT
That is one sweet glove!
Old 08-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Al

I see that Mark (whom I dont know) has listed on his about me page as occupation (Therapist) Might want to do a little work on himself.... Just a thought...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 08-25-2020, 09:09 AM
Chris Counts

This thread is going to end up being a good thing for Gordon's business. I know where I'm going with my next glove repair.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:20 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
This thread is going to end up being a good thing for Gordon's business. I know where I'm going with my next glove repair.
I was thinking the same thing. Gordon's place of business is only a few miles down the road from me. Wish him the best.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:29 AM
Jimmy

I was surprised to see this on the memorabilia side, getting the facts first and reaching out is always important before overstepping. I am hoping both parties work something out!

Keep collecting! Thanks Jimmy
Old 08-25-2020, 11:53 AM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default My Next Glove Repair...

...is certainly going to be directed to Gordon!! I believe that he has been wronged with the OP's post and other actions. Gordon seems to be the complete professional in my opinion.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:00 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Next time I find a poor condition player-endorsed glove I absolutely can't pass up I'm giving Gordon my business. His carefully thought out rebuttal of the original post won me over.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:07 PM
Tony Baldwin

Thank you all for the positive support you've shown for Mr. King. The honesty and integrity of people in this forum is truly commendable!

Scott, thanks for making Mr. King's day by having him work on your 1939 D & M Johnny Vander Meer glove! You made his day!

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg King1.jpg (67.8 KB, 795 views)
Old 08-25-2020, 12:13 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckus99 View Post
Avoid this crook!

Seven weeks ago.

- Mark
Mark,

It's much easier to admit fault and apologize, than it is to hide. You see what damage can be done when people get mad and overreact. It's also better to be humble and admit fault, as it will help you gain respect from others.

We've all been there one time or another in our lives.

Learn from it, better yourself, move on, and enjoy the hobby!

Tony
Old 08-26-2020, 11:59 PM
William Peebles

This sounds all too familiar to me. Though I don’t know any of the parties involved, I remember reading the original inquiry post and kept right on scrolling.

I used to do a fair bit of glove restoration as part of my business. I focused on early gloves, usually very valuable, rare models. In many instances, they would be show pieces. Some were unquestionably museum quality gloves. Regardless of the specifics, it’s very detail oriented work. Despite all the tools, materials, and knowledge gained from hours of doing good work, it’s oftentimes very hard to convince some people that they’re not just paying for leather, they’re paying for an experienced set of eyes and hands. It’s doubly frustrating when a collector will eagerly spend top dollar to acquire a tired glove, then reach out to me and haggle with a restoration estimate that was oftentimes a small fraction of the purchase price. I won’t even get into the pigs ear scenarios. No, it cannot be turned onto a silk purse.....

I salute Gordon for being a gentleman and taking the high road. My solution was to remove the service from my website and get on with my life. The few restorations that I do these days are for valued friends and clients who I know to be reasonable people. I wish you well, Gordon!

Btw, since I’m on a roll, I’ll mention that I spoke to Scott (a reasonable guy) last summer and would have happily done the re-lace on his JVDM, but the timing wasn’t good for me. I’m happy to hear that Gordon is jumping on it.

Be excellent to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 08-27-2020, 05:35 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Mark,

It's much easier to admit fault and apologize, than it is to hide. You see what damage can be done when people get mad and overreact. It's also better to be humble and admit fault, as it will help you gain respect from others.

We've all been there one time or another in our lives.

Learn from it, better yourself, move on, and enjoy the hobby!

Tony
I think it says a lot about the OP that he hasn't come back to this thread to either tell us his story in more detail or to admit he posted in anger and to apologize.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:09 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I think it says a lot about the OP that he hasn't come back to this thread to either tell us his story in more detail or to admit he posted in anger and to apologize.
He's logged on right now.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:32 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
And he would only have to do it by making a post. Face-to-Face is much more difficult.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:27 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Avoid this crook!

Seven weeks ago.

- Mark
So Mark, what do you have to say now?
Old 08-27-2020, 02:05 PM
Doug Goodman

Default A1Gloverepair - Gordon King (vindicated)

If Leon is reading this -

I think that a change to the thread title would be fair to the business involved.

Doug
Old 08-27-2020, 03:21 PM
Tony Baldwin

Mark,

You continuously log on and read the comments. Help us understand why you refuse to post a response. It’s the right thing to do.

Tony
Old 08-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Mark,

You continuously log on and read the comments. Help us understand why you refuse to post a response. It’s the right thing to do.

Tony
Because, like many people these days, Mark find's it easy to go on the internet and bitch about whatever happens to be bothering him at that moment, but when shown to be wrong, he suddenly forgets how to type, and doesn't have the balls to apologize, or even admit that he may have been overreacting.

Doug "prove me wrong, I'll change my mind" Goodman
Old 08-27-2020, 03:50 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Because, like many people these days, Mark find's it easy to go on the internet and bitch about whatever happens to be bothering him at that moment, but when shown to be wrong, he suddenly forgets how to type, and doesn't have the balls to apologize, or even admit that he may have been overreacting.

Well, Mark started this, and he is the one who can put a final end to this. If not, then why be here anymore?

Tony
Old 08-27-2020, 04:15 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Well, Mark started this, and he is the one who can put a final end to this. If not, then why be here anymore?

Tony
I'm trolling every post he makes on other threads (including a post he made to a thread of mine) until he apologizes.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
I'm trolling every post he makes on other threads (including a post he made to a thread of mine) until he apologizes.
Wow, now that is just wrong to continue to post at all, until he addresses this matter that he started. He should lose that privilege.

Tony
Old 08-27-2020, 06:17 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Wow, now that is just wrong to continue to post at all, until he addresses this matter that he started. He should lose that privilege.

Tony
Agreed he should be banned until he apologizes for crapping on an honest mans hard work
Old 08-27-2020, 06:34 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
If Leon is reading this -

I think that a change to the thread title would be fair to the business involved.

Doug
Leon, I agree with this. It's been three days, he's constantly logged on, yet nothing.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:30 PM
Rob

Quote:

Man, you have a lot of middle names!

Rob “screw the D**gers” Greene
Old 08-28-2020, 08:17 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
I love that you're doing this. This Mark Rios guy is a Class A douchebag.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:42 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
I love that you're doing this. This Mark Rios guy is a Class A douchebag.
Starting to agree, we all do stupid things in anger but admitting you're wrong and apologizing is the right thing to do. Obviously a foreign concept to him.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:24 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Man, you have a lot of middle names!

Rob “screw the D**gers” Greene
That made be laugh out loud.

But I'm curious what you have against the Diggers?
https://www.diggers.org/overview.htm
Old 08-28-2020, 11:09 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Avoid this crook!

Seven weeks ago.

- Mark
You are a douche.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:32 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Thus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa.jpg (5.7 KB, 450 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Rob

Quote:
You're not gettin' it done, Doug! I just randomly pulled up two threads of his and the Goodman Troll is no where to be found. Is he hiding under a bridge?
Old 08-28-2020, 02:09 PM

Default Slow Down

Can we take a deep breath about this guys? He made a mistake I am sure he is aware of but all of this hatred and negative energy seems a bit overboard. I dont know either of the main people in this dispute but I think the point has been made and nothing further needs to be done here. just my two cents

Bob Freedman
Old 08-28-2020, 02:14 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
You're not gettin' it done, Doug! I just randomly pulled up two threads of his and the Goodman Troll is no where to be found. Is he hiding under a bridge?
I only trolled his posts since this thread started
Old 08-28-2020, 02:22 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Can we take a deep breath about this guys? He made a mistake I am sure he is aware of but all of this hatred and negative energy seems a bit overboard. I dont know either of the main people in this dispute but I think the point has been made and nothing further needs to be done here. just my two cents

Bob Freedman
Bob -

I appreciate you attempting to calm down the hot heads on this thread, of which I am arguably the worst offender, however, I would like to say that I do not "hate" the OP, just his needlessly mean (and seemingly proven wrong ) post AND the spineless way in which he has followed up on it.

He should either say "sorry guys, I was mistaken", change the name of this thread, and apologize to Mr. King.

Or, he could also pull up some facts that support his original point.

Until one of those things is done, I will continue trolling him, and responding to this thread.

Doug "nothing better to do 174 days into the zombie apocalypse" Goodman
Old 08-28-2020, 02:50 PM
Rob

Quote:
Bob -

I appreciate you attempting to calm down the hot heads on this thread, of which I am arguably the worst offender, however, I would like to say that I do not "hate" the OP, just his needlessly mean (and seemingly proven wrong ) post AND the spineless way in which he has followed up on it.

He should either say "sorry guys, I was mistaken", change the name of this thread, and apologize to Mr. King.

Or, he could also pull up some facts that support his original point.

Until one of those things is done, I will continue trolling him, and responding to this thread.

Doug "nothing better to do 174 days into the zombie apocalypse" Goodman
I kinda agree with Bob but also agree we sometimes need to police this forum. The OP's behavior is unacceptable, IMHO.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:07 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post

Bob Freedman
The problem is when people Google A1 Glove Repair or Gordon King, this thread will pop up.

We all make mistakes but making a mistake and refusing to rectify that mistake when a persons rep is hurt is serious scumbaggery (yes, thats a word lol)
Old 08-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Rob

Quote:
The problem is when people Google A1 Glove Repair or Gordon King, this thread will pop up.
True, but I think they’ll figure out Gordon is A-OK. That’s a good thing.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
True, but I think they’ll figure out Gordon is A-OK. That’s a good thing.
Yes.... if they take the time to read through it, all should be ok.

It would still be nice to hear from the OP... either to dispute the story, or to admit to his knee-jerk reaction. Changing the title of the thread would be an appropriate gesture as well.