NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-28-2020, 05:58 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
True, but I think they’ll figure out Gordon is A-OK. That’s a good thing.
That is assuming they read the thread and don't just see the title and move on...

Edited to say - sorry Mark, I just saw your reply

Last edited by doug.goodman; 08-28-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:11 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
I see that Mark (whom I dont know) has listed on his about me page as occupation (Therapist) Might want to do a little work on himself.... Just a thought...

or at least change it to Thera-pissed
Old 08-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I see that Mark (whom I dont know) has listed on his about me page as occupation (Therapist) Might want to do a little work on himself.... Just a thought...
That reminds me of an old SNL skit involving "Sean Connery" on the TV show Jeopardy...
Old 08-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
I see that Mark (whom I dont know) has listed on his about me page as occupation (Therapist)
A graduate of the Sam Kinison School of Therapy, no doubt.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:48 PM
M@++ Cyganik

As a therapist myself, I know first hand most therapists have just as many issues we can't control as the folks we see. It's easier to dispense wisdom to someone else in a controlled setting than to utilize that knowledge in our own personal lives. Sometimes too much self-actualization can do more harm than good...

That being said, all this guy has to do is apologize and its over. Maybe he was upset about the delay in his COMC order. Oh well, another topic for another session.

- Matt "Don't Look Back In Anger" Cyganik

Last edited by MCyganik; 08-29-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:07 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCyganik View Post
As a therapist myself, I know first hand most therapists have just as many issues we can't control as the folks we see. It's easier to dispense wisdom to someone else in a controlled setting than to utilize that knowledge in our own personal lives. Sometimes too much self-actualization can do more harm than good...

That being said, all this guy has to do is apologize and its over. Maybe he was upset about the delay in his COMC order. Oh well, another topic for another session.

- Matt "Don't Look Back In Anger" Cyganik
Perfect! Yeah, if the OP simply apologized and did the right thing we'd feel closure. The fact that he's aware of the responses and continues to ignore shows who he really is. I know it's not all NY'ers, but friggin NY!
Old 09-01-2020, 09:31 AM
Mark Rios

I guess I was wrong, he isn’t a crook after all.
I did receive my glove, after just forty five days.

First, although I did receive an email from Gordon, that the glove was on the way.
He did not provide tracking info. No biggie.

Second, upon receipt I noticed the name on the box was incorrect. Hmm.

Third, I originally sent the glove in a special linen bag, that was not shipped back to me. He claims it was his oversight and it would be mailed back to me. Okay, moving on.

Fourth, the glove was not re-laced correctly and as it originally was.
In fact, I can no longer fit my hand into the glove, due to the new re-lacing.

Lastly, the piping along the wrist was CUT OFF! Further, not even replaced.
The job requested was for re-lacing and clean/condition.
I neither requested nor was it discussed to cut into the glove.

See photos below.

Additionally, this is one of Rawlings iconic gloves, issued in ‘55 as a top of the line model, retail $30/32. A mint one just sold on the bay for $1243.

So Doug....ethical?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1573D6A-C2CE-4534-A72F-97E035295D0C.jpg (13.0 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg FD04F9F8-A2FE-475F-A969-10458853BDE1.jpg (8.0 KB, 365 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Mark Rios

More pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 960055CB-4B9F-4DC4-814A-B4C66168AB7B.jpg (8.3 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 390744EE-ACD4-41BF-A9EB-4578CFC9CB7A.jpg (20.0 KB, 362 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:37 AM
Mark Rios

Pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F9D1AB1E-BF4D-474D-BBCD-3A210B6B8B56.jpg (15.2 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg 182621BF-C983-41DF-AD54-3AF3A4B534CE.jpg (16.4 KB, 364 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:44 AM
Mark Rios

Finally, I sent Gordon an email regarding the condition of the glove, missing the piping, four days ago. No response.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:49 AM
Al

Mark like I said I dont know you but its good that you came on and tried to set the record straight. The apology (if it was one) looks a little left handed in my opinion. Love to see some other photos of the work on the glove. Now just to be fair about the piping was it loose? Just hanging there? or was it still mostly attached? Now if it was the first two I myself probably would have cut it off. But to your point I would have contacted you first to ask if it was O.K. to do so.. Bottom line is you have your glove ,the man did what looks to be a decent job on it, BUT next time write everything down on a list for "work to be done and what not to be done" So then there is no question.. Life is short dont stress about something that is small. You of all people should know that.... Enjoy the glove...

Thankyou for the extra photos....

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-01-2020 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added more
Old 09-01-2020, 10:34 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks for finally coming on, Mark...

I agree that the communication was lacking (badly). A phone call was in order, before even touching that rolled leather piping (loose or not).

And he should have checked other exemplars, regarding how to properly lace the glove. Anyone who has ever seen one of these knows that the wrist strap lacing is now incorrect.

I would be equally upset. William (Forum Member here) or Hammer Sports Relics could probably correct some of what was done incorrectly. That is, if you want to sink more money into it. Sorry to see how this went down.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Thanks for finally coming on, Mark...

I agree that the communication was lacking (badly). A phone call was in order, before even touching that rolled leather piping (loose or not).

And he should have checked other exemplars, regarding how to properly lace the glove. Anyone who has ever seen one of these knows that the wrist strap lacing is now incorrect.

I would be equally upset. William (Forum Member here) or Hammer Sports Relics could probably correct some of what was done incorrectly. That is, if you want to sink more money into it. Sorry to see how this went down.
Well said Mr Steinberg!

This is the best response I've read in this thread.

And I wish you luck going forward if you want to fix the improper re-lacing Mark...

Last edited by Huysmans; 09-01-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckus99 View Post
I guess I was wrong, he isn’t a crook after all.

Additionally, this is one of Rawlings iconic gloves, issued in ‘55 as a top of the line model, retail $30/32. A mint one just sold on the bay for $1243.

So Doug....ethical?
Thank you for responding.

I'm not sure what you mean by "So Doug....ethical?"...

Does he have ethics? I think so.

Do you have ethics? I don't know.

Do I have ethics? Yep.

Also, I'm not sure what relevance there is to the fact that a mint condition glove of the same style as yours just sold for $1243. I have a 1952 Topps Mantle with a sharpie mustache and a mint one sells for loads of money, big deal.

One look at the website for A1 tells me that the guy takes gloves that have been used until they are falling apart and repairs them so that they can be used some more. He doesn't claim to be a guy who can restore your glove to mint condition so you can sell it for $1243 on ebay.

The gentleman who owns that company probably defines "restoration" as "making an unusable glove usable" which is not what we collectors consider to be the definition.

I'll bet that he didn't even notice "special linen bag" that you sent the glove in and he probably tossed it aside without a second thought. Hopefully he can find it to send back to you.

You should still change the title of this thread, but I don't really expect that you will, but I suppose your ethics will guide you.

Doug "no witty nickname today, sorry" Goodman

Last edited by doug.goodman; 09-01-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckus99 View Post
Finally, I sent Gordon an email regarding the condition of the glove, missing the piping, four days ago. No response.
Four days ago was Friday, maybe he is taking a long weekend.

It took you eight days to reply to this thread...

Last edited by doug.goodman; 09-01-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:23 PM

Default Vandy glove restoration result from Gordon King- AWESOME!!

It's been a while since this thread was started regarding Gordon King the glove restoration expert in Cleveland.

I'm happy to report that Gordon did a beautiful job of restoring the missing lace webbing on my Vandy D & M glove. He also took some time and re-laced it and conditioned the leather with some of his proprietary glove oil that is free of petrolium products and other ingredients that damage leather.

To top it off, he shipped the glove back to me in a "customized" Vandy themed Priority Mail box that brought a smile to my face when it arrived today.

Gordon was a nice guy to deal with and did a very nice job that exceeded my expectations. If you're patient and want a great end result, I would recommend using him.

Check out the end result. Before pictures can be seen earlier in this thread.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-03-2020 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:41 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
It's been a while since this thread was started regarding Gordon King the glove restoration expert in Cleveland.

I'm happy to report that Gordon did a beautiful job of restoring the missing lace webbing on my Vandy D & M glove. He also took some time and re-laced it and conditioned the leather with some of his proprietary glove oil that is free of petrolium products and other ingredients that damage leather.

To top it off, he shipped the glove back to me in a "customized" Vandy themed Priority Mail box that brought a smile to my face when it arrived today.

Gordon was a nice guy to deal with and did a very nice job that exceeded my expectations. If you're patient and want a great end result, I would recommend using him.

Check out the end result. Before pictures can be seen earlier in this thread.
Very nice Scott! Looks like a great job! Enjoy the piece! Al

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 12-03-2020, 07:36 PM
Chris Counts

That's a real beauty Scott. It's just too bad the title of the thread reflects so poorly on Gordon. The OP could never prove his claim against him was credible. I hope it can be revised, at least to something that provides balance ...
Old 12-03-2020, 08:06 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
That's a real beauty Scott. It's just too bad the title of the thread reflects so poorly on Gordon. The OP could never prove his claim against him was credible. I hope it can be revised, at least to something that provides balance ...
I agree. Can't a moderator edit the thread?
Old 12-04-2020, 03:22 PM
Jonathan

I can't and won't make any comments about the logistics raised in this matter, but that restoration/repair/refurbishment/whatever you want to call it, was done poorly.

There was absolutely no reason to cut off the piping, and the lace replacement was done without any knowledge/research. It'll cost quite a bit to repair that AND it'll never look vintage (match the balance of the existing piping).

Jon
www.dugoutreasures.com
Old 12-04-2020, 04:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop43 View Post
I can't and won't make any comments about the logistics raised in this matter, but that restoration/repair/refurbishment/whatever you want to call it, was done poorly.

There was absolutely no reason to cut off the piping, and the lace replacement was done without any knowledge/research. It'll cost quite a bit to repair that AND it'll never look vintage (match the balance of the existing piping).

Jon
www.dugoutreasures.com
100% agree...

Thank goodness he left the piping to Scott's Vandy in tact!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:17 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop43 View Post

Jon
www.dugoutreasures.com
This is spot on.