NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2010, 07:35 PM
John Wondowski

Default I would like to whine........

about puting in a rediculously high bid on a REA lot and getting my ass kicked the day before the auction.

There, I said it.......I feel better now.

Not really
Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Would you like some jeez with your whine?

I guess I won't be bidding any further in REA's auction either.....I didn't win the Lotto wednesday night

Steve
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Paul

I'm just waiting until tomorrow after 4 PM to experience the exact same thing I am sure......

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

me too
Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
about puting in a rediculously high bid on a REA lot and getting my ass kicked the day before the auction.

There, I said it.......I feel better now.

Not really
Channeling TBob leads down a dark path. You've been warned.

I got hosed myself on something that couldn't possibly get a higher bid. Someone (not me) needs to get their head together.

Bill
Old 04-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default sigh

Hello peter,

We received your bid, but you have been outbid by
another bidder who has placed a higher maximum bid
than yours, possibly days or hours before.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 PM

I kinda wish some money would head over to the lot I consigned....I think Wonka smartly took away a lot of potential bidders by bidding high from the start. It's a good strategy....can't blame him at all.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Hello peter,

We received your bid, but you have been outbid by
another bidder who has placed a higher maximum bid
than yours, possibly days or hours before.
Dude, stop throwing those nickels around like manhole covers and get that damn 1960 Mantle!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Dude, stop throwing those nickels around like manhole covers and get that damn 1960 Mantle!
I will have you know Jeff that he is saving for a certain T206 Red Cobb at the moment. Please do not get him sidetracked.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Joe M.

Can't you bid tomorrow?
Old 05-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Ryan Christoff

I had the same thing happen to me. I had asked a couple of people what they thought this item might sell for. One said $5,000. One said $15,000 to $20,000. The number I had in my head was $50,000. I felt that had a good chance of being a crazy enough bid based on the feedback I'd gotten from other collectors.

I was underbidder with a $16,000 bid for about a week but hadn't checked it for a few days. Tonight I thought I'd check and see where it was at the night before the final day of bidding. I was less than thrilled to see it was already at $45,000. I almost never place anything more than an initial bid on an item until well into the overtime period, but I thought that someone had probably but an autobid on it. Rather than spend tomorrow night in suspense with false hope, I decided to give it a shot and bid $47,500. Of course, there was an autobid and the item was immediately sitting at the exact dollar amount I had in my head to begin with. So it will be a stress-free auction end for me. Yay!

Also, the Nuggets were eliminated, the Rockies lost, my fantasy team was brutal, and my strat-o-matic team got demolished. Friday was not my day.

But Jim B. assures me that on my deathbed I will receive total consciousness.

So I got that going for me.

Which is nice.

-Ryan
Old 05-01-2010, 06:50 AM

REA auctions typically separates the men from the boys. This auction is no different.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
I will have you know Jeff that he is saving for a certain T206 Red Cobb at the moment. Please do not get him sidetracked.
Figures Peter would try to save some dough and go for a card with a popped corner.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

I dig two piece Cobbs.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 AM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Can't you bid tomorrow?
Tomorrow is here and yes, I will be checking it later. Hope it goes completely through the roof now so that I am not tempted. That is the downside of the "Bid early, bid high" strategy.

I must be strong! Perhaps a quick trip to the blackjack tables to seal the deal.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
58 damn it 58, not 60.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Channeling TBob leads down a dark path. You've been warned.

I got hosed myself on something that couldn't possibly get a higher bid. Someone (not me) needs to get their head together.

Bill
On the flip side, the occassional win is always that much sweeter.
I tried the "putting in a big opening bid and holding on for dear life" technique in REA to run off other bidders, but just was informed of being outbid. In REA, as on eBay, the snipe technique is always preferrable.
tbob
Old 05-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Barry Sloate

How can you snipe in REA? Whomever you top is going to get an email informing him he was outbid, and will have ample time to top it. The only way to win a lot is to be the high bidder at the end. The strategy doesn't get much more complicated than that.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Barry- I didn't mean the true snipe as on ebay, I meant simply waiting until the very end of the auction to enter bids (of course you have to place a qualifying bid earlier). Yes, there is no way to snipe in REA but waiting until near closing as opposed to placing the big bid and trying to hold on is a better technique if you have an evening to kill.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Barry Sloate

Placing the big bid early only works if you succeed in knocking everybody out. If even one serious bidder is left in the fray, you've likely accomplished nothing.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Glyn Parson

Default As of now

I'm winning a lot i bid on around the first day and i am winning a lot i only bid on just before closing. I always just throw in autobids and see how it goes. what happens happens. Sorry John I know you really wanted that set.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

This is my first year bidding in REA, but I'm already thinking about strategy for next year. I'm thinking the best strategy is to put in a bunch of bids on the first day so that you can get qualified for the extended bidding session. Since all lots close at the same time, you can move bids around depending on which items are hot sellers and which ones aren't. (And you bid on the first day, so that you can be assured you won't be winning all of those lots you bid on.)

For example, in this auction, I was thinking of trying to pick up a T206 Magie or O'Hara StL version. There are multiple versions of each card out there. However, basically, I'm stuck right now. I bid on a PSA3 Magie, which right now is at 13K. However, there's another PSA3 Magie, that's only 9500 right now. I can't bid on it because I didn't put a bid on it during early bidding. (The 13K Magie was actually cheaper when I put my bid in.) I don't know if I'd actually pay that $$$$ for the Magie, but I'd at least want to have the choice to think about it. Same thing with the O'Hara. Same thing with the O'Hara where one version of the card is cheaper than the others.

Not sure if there was the option to put in a straight bid in early bidding, but if I really wanted a lot, I think it'd do that early to try to knock out potential bidders to go into extended bidding. When the lots you want have 20 or so bids already entering Extended Bidding, you have a feeling it can be a rough run.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Fred

Glchen- With REA's setup I think that is the best strategy..I put initial bids in on 50+ lots when the auction opened..I went into the extended session winning ZERO but now I have a lot of options to choose from as to what to bid on.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:59 AM

It's now over....hope a lot of us won something...I think I did!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
It's now over....hope a lot of us won something...I think I did!
Got 3 lots I'm real happy with!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 05-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

wow i really won 1 lot!!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharri3600 View Post
me too
i was wrong, i won!!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 AM
John Wondowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Sorry John I know you really wanted that set.
Thanks, Glyn - but I wasn't even the underbidder. The Oxford set went for about $27k! I bought a reprint set last week off of ebay in preperation. I'll sleep with it under my pillow.

Did you get anything?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Yeah John I won one lot

I won the lot of Pinkerton paper mounts. they went cheap I think Rob's description helped me. There are certainly period paper mounted T5's and in Rob's description he states that he is unsure if there were period paper mounts. I have bought 2 large lots over the years and both had paper mounted cards in with the cabinet mounted ones. So good for me. John, I bet you're shocked i won a T5 lot.