NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Best way to store vintage cards?
Album 28 31.82%
Top loaders in a box 52 59.09%
An old cigar box! 8 9.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2022, 10:59 AM
Al

Default Best storage options for vintage?

Hey guys,
When it comes to vintage cards/collections, what is the best or most preferred way that you store your vintage cards? In an album? In top loaders in a box? Etc thanks
Old 05-01-2022, 11:07 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

In cardboard and cigar boxes without a sleeve in sight.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:32 PM
Bob C.

You need an "All of the Above Option. A lot depends on the set, the age, and if you're going for complete sets or just some individual type cards.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:39 PM
Al

True! I didn’t think of that.

How would you store complete sets?

How would you store individual cards?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2022, 08:45 PM
pete ullman

mine are all over...some are in vintage boxes I've found...some are in one of those stupid plastic watertight briefcase thingies...some are in shoeboxes...some are in binders.,

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-01-2022 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:15 PM
Al

Me too! That’s why I’m trying to get ideas on how best to store them!
Old 05-02-2022, 02:34 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

My sets (and a whole lot of other stuff) are housed in binders. This pic shows four types of boxes that work pretty well for everything else:

1. Bottom Left - Random shoe boxes...which are always a MUST for any nostalgic card collector. (Who knew I was a ladies size 6??)
2. Upper Left - Michael's sells great (read: cheap) quality photograph boxes, which are fantastic for stacking toploaders and slabs alike. My absolute favorite!!
3. Bottom Right - Two-row corrugated cardboard boxes that are real sturdy and great for holding (and transporting) large batches of slabs.
4. Upper Right (obscured by toploaders) - Your standard corrugated cardboard boxes, 100 count, 500 count, whatever, usually used for holding sets, but there are also ones (shown) wide enough to be filled with slabs.

cardboxes.jpg

5. Honorable mention - I still have a few old Pop Tarts boxes filled with random 1970's commons.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 05-02-2022 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:27 AM
Ray VDB

I use both top loaders and binders/sheets. I echo comments about shoe boxes being invaluable especially for oversized items that you can put in topholders and then stack them (when stacking I try to alternate direction to avoid the weight of the stack bending items at the bottom of the stack which can happen even in topholders).

For tobacco cards, I used to use the smaller tobacco sized topholders but I am moving away from them in favour of regular sized ones - when setting up at shows I just feel the smaller topholders could be prone to higher theft because of their size and ease of pocketing them.

I use the 2-row card storage boxes (1600ct?) - I find these are perfect to place topholders upright in the two rows. As stated by others there is a corresponding larger 2-row storage box that works great for slabs (albeit PSA fit better in there than SGC, SGC makes for a tight fit but still works). I like the 2-row ones because they stack well while also taking up a smaller footprint than 4-row boxes.

Last edited by Ray Van; 05-02-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:17 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
You need an "All of the Above Option. A lot depends on the set, the age, and if you're going for complete sets or just some individual type cards.
1000% AGREED. 1959's would be handled differently than, say T206's.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:25 AM

Will the four row boxes fit top loaders easily? I thought the four rows were designed for cards with no top loader?
Old 08-11-2022, 08:36 PM

I also go back and forth on this. Binders vs top loaders in a box? What say you?
Old 08-11-2022, 08:48 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

For viewing I Enjoy binders. For protection and a bit more piece of mind, top loaders.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 08-11-2022, 08:53 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Plastic tombs for protection, all stored in 4 suitcases, scanned to Flickr so I can look at my collection as a whole anytime it suits me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-11-2022, 09:27 PM

Agreed! For viewing albums, for protection slabs or top loaders. Flickr account for viewing one’s collection but then it’s been said if you right click and save on a photo, you can have the worlds best collection to view without having to buy a single card and you can view it anytime online!

Last edited by homerunhitter; 08-11-2022 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:34 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
Agreed! For viewing albums, for protection slabs or top loaders. Flickr account for viewing one’s collection but then it’s been said if you right click and save on a photo, you can have the worlds best collection to view without having to buy a single card and you can view it anytime online!
I suppose, but that would be a pretty weird thing to do.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-11-2022, 10:29 PM

Agreed! I’m just repeating what I saw posted on here a while back. Someone commented it. I do agree it is a strange thing to do. But nothing surprises me in this hobby anymore!
Old 08-13-2022, 02:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Plastic tombs for protection, all stored in 4 suitcases, scanned to Flickr so I can look at my collection as a whole anytime it suits me.
I almost only do prewar so I have quite a bit of raw, type card, stuff. They are in penny sleeves and top loaders. Otherwise I have them in TPG cases....
Old 08-13-2022, 03:33 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Custom made to size. Stained. Total weight with slabs is 20lbs.

T201 Mecca Double Folders Complete set. Fits in either safe. (Almost time for a 3rd safe)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3616.HEIC.jpeg (128.5 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3617.HEIC.jpeg (114.0 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3618.HEIC.jpeg (113.4 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by rdwyer; 08-13-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:48 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
In cardboard and cigar boxes without a sleeve in sight.
There's something to be said for this. All of the great finds over the years are in old cigar boxes or similar containers. And basic card boxes are made of cardboard, just like cards, so no worries about long term chemical reactions of any kind there. While it makes sense that hard plastic slabs or binder pages or any other plastic holder would protect a card better, when it comes to longevity, as in many decades or even a century plus, we don't technically know because they haven't been around that long. So it's all just speculation. In the short term, yeah, hard plastic holders are great because you can drop it and can't bend it or anything. But will that card still be ok in 2122? Who knows. In that amount of time, we don't know if there will be a reaction between the inks and the plastic or perhaps outside forces like UV light or moisture in the air or some other issue that we don't even know about yet. But cards sitting in a cardboard box for that long have been proven to be fine.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:29 PM

Very very interesting point! It makes you think if we have been doing it wrong all of these years and should just keep it simple and put them in cigar boxes! I like that idea actually. I noticed that one time when I bought a PSA slab on eBay, when I got it. It had moisture condensation in the slab. Now that totally sucked.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
There's something to be said for this. All of the great finds over the years are in old cigar boxes or similar containers. And basic card boxes are made of cardboard, just like cards, so no worries about long term chemical reactions of any kind there. While it makes sense that hard plastic slabs or binder pages or any other plastic holder would protect a card better, when it comes to longevity, as in many decades or even a century plus, we don't technically know because they haven't been around that long. So it's all just speculation. In the short term, yeah, hard plastic holders are great because you can drop it and can't bend it or anything. But will that card still be ok in 2122? Who knows. In that amount of time, we don't know if there will be a reaction between the inks and the plastic or perhaps outside forces like UV light or moisture in the air or some other issue that we don't even know about yet. But cards sitting in a cardboard box for that long have been proven to be fine.
Sleeves are needed if one is dealing with Mint condition items with 4 sharp corners, but as I live in low grade land, I think it's much ado about nothing. I keep my modern cards in penny sleeves because they have 4 sharp corners to preserve, but 99% of my vintage is sleeveless. A VG tobacco card doesn't need a sleeve; sitting in a cardboard box won't hurt it. I don't see much evidence that me actually handling my cards hurts them either. More of them fit in a box, I have no worries that cardboard boxes will hurt them over long periods of time. Tons of cards are damaged by modern protection, from edge nicks on SGC cards slapping into the black frame, from screw downs pressing cards, I have not seen a card actually damaged by a yellowed top loader but I have doubts that is good for the card inside. I'm not sure the modern ways are better for anything except corner protection. Plus, it would cost a fortune to go buy top loaders or card savers and penny sleeves for all my cards at this point.

People spend way too much time fretting about slips and sleeves and slabs and not enough time just enjoy the cards for what they are.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:43 PM
Chris

Mine were in toploaders in a show box for the longest time but now are in waterproof safes to protect them in the event of fire or water damage.