NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-22-2021, 01:55 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default New (to me) USPS issue

On eBay last week I purchased a card which I expected would be delivered today. I received today's mail but not the card in question so I checked the USPS tracking. It shows now not only that it was delivered this morning but that it was given to me personally and that I signed for it. No such thing happened. How concerned should I be that it was lost or stolen and I'll never receive it?
Old 02-22-2021, 01:56 PM

Probably drop it off later tonight or tomorrow. Not all packages are equal or delivered at once. And I've had this happen to me before too. Usually it's an over zealous mailman who wants to get the scan out of the way.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:09 PM
Eddie Zuercher

Default Usps

I've had it happen to me too. It came the next day. Hopefully it shows up for you too.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:18 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I swear some of these postal employees give no consideration to my baseball card neuroticism.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:23 PM
octavio ranzola

You will get it
Old 02-22-2021, 02:56 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Yep, I've had this happen multiple times. They like to take care of the "administrative" signoff portion ahead of the actual drop-off. Should arrive either today or tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:06 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Like the others, the same thing (minus the signature aspect) happened to me. My ebay page told me it was just delivered, so I went to the mailbox and nothing (but the regular mail). I immediately messaged the seller to tell him I don't know what's going on, but the package was not delivered, etc., and I will keep him apprised in case it went to the wrong house or something. He was cool and said he'd sit tight. It was either later in the darkness that night, or possibly the next day, and the package was delivered. When I asked the woman at the post office to be honest with me, she admitted that *wink wink* sometimes the carriers mark everything as delivered before actually being delivered, because it saves time. Of course, this scenario doesn't explain 'your' signature. That's just wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:16 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
On eBay last week I purchased a card which I expected would be delivered today. I received today's mail but not the card in question so I checked the USPS tracking. It shows now not only that it was delivered this morning but that it was given to me personally and that I signed for it. No such thing happened. How concerned should I be that it was lost or stolen and I'll never receive it?
I thought signatures were not being obtained due to COVID so anything that was sent with signature required wasn't actually being signed for by the recipient.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:31 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I thought signatures were not being obtained due to COVID so anything that was sent with signature required wasn't actually being signed for by the recipient.
If so, this should be a little more obvious to anyone purchasing or expecting this service. I was in the same place as the OP last fall, when I heard the postal carrier arrive on a day I knew a card was to be delivered with signature confirmation. He left, no package, but it showed up shortly that it had been signed for. It showed up on my porch a short while later, but it made me very nervous!
Old 02-22-2021, 04:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I swear some of these postal employees give no consideration to my baseball card neuroticism.
Consider it a character-building experience
Old 02-22-2021, 06:32 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
If so, this should be a little more obvious to anyone purchasing or expecting this service. I was in the same place as the OP last fall, when I heard the postal carrier arrive on a day I knew a card was to be delivered with signature confirmation. He left, no package, but it showed up shortly that it had been signed for. It showed up on my porch a short while later, but it made me very nervous!
A similar thing happened to me in January. I got the email that a package had been signed for without me actually having the package. I chased down the postal worker, who told me that due to COVID they were allowed to sign for it themselves and leave it. The package was in my mailbox. It makes the signature confirmation absolutely pointless. I was not happy about it, but at least I got my card safe and sound. FYI, FedEx does still knock and ask for a signature. I requested that a valuable card to be sent to me using FedEx recently for just this reason. I keep wondering what would have happened if the package was stolen out of my mailbox after showing that it had been signed for and delivered. I doubt that things would have gone my way on any claim to get my money back.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson

Last edited by chadeast; 02-22-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:12 PM

Is it any different for registered mail ?
Old 02-23-2021, 06:00 AM
And.y Ell.is

I'm convinced this is about numbers and making it work. My thought is they cant make the delivery they say they did to keep their numbers good, and of course it will show up the next day. This has happened to me several times, USPS has turned into a complete joke and they need to clean house starting at the top.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

Fudging delivery times etc isn't all that new in general.
USPS has been pretty good, but the others?

Back a few years ago UPS advertised something crazy like 99% on time delivery.

I had a package I really wanted... So I looked at tracking.
Due Tuesday!
Tuesday, no package.
track
Due Wednesday!
No package.

It finally showed up Friday, with a "delivered on time!" note in the tracking.
Not hard if you get to change the expected delivery date.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:45 AM
T!M R10rd@n

USPS' temporary COVID procedures DO NOT include them signing for it themselves without your knowledge . . .

From: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/USPS-...ness-Customers . . .

Will there be any modifications to Certified Mail® or mail requiring signature deliveries with customers? If so, how will this be supported?

One significant measure being implemented is a temporary modification to mail handling procedures for mail that requires customer signatures. We recognize the close proximity and additional handling that occurs when employees must ask customers for a signature and government issued identification when required. To reduce health risks, we are temporarily modifying customer signature capture procedures. Effective immediately and until further notice, our employees will follow the temporary process below for signature service items. This process applies to all letter carriers:
  • Avoid ringing the doorbell when possible. Knock on the customer’s door. Avoid areas that may be frequently touched when knocking.
  • While maintaining a safe, appropriate distance, employees will request the customer’s first initial and last name.
  • For increased safety, employees will ask the customer to step back a safe distance or close the screen door/door so that they may leave the item in the mail receptacle or appropriate location by the customer door.
  • If there is no response, employees will follow the normal Notice Left process.
  • If there are delivery points on the route where social distancing recommendations are difficult to follow, alternative delivery methods can be explored. (Industry Alert – 3/20/20)"

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 02-23-2021, 01:32 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
USPS' temporary COVID procedures DO NOT include them signing for it themselves without your knowledge . . .

From: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/USPS-...ness-Customers . . .

Will there be any modifications to Certified Mail® or mail requiring signature deliveries with customers? If so, how will this be supported?

One significant measure being implemented is a temporary modification to mail handling procedures for mail that requires customer signatures. We recognize the close proximity and additional handling that occurs when employees must ask customers for a signature and government issued identification when required. To reduce health risks, we are temporarily modifying customer signature capture procedures. Effective immediately and until further notice, our employees will follow the temporary process below for signature service items. This process applies to all letter carriers:
  • Avoid ringing the doorbell when possible. Knock on the customer’s door. Avoid areas that may be frequently touched when knocking.
  • While maintaining a safe, appropriate distance, employees will request the customer’s first initial and last name.
  • For increased safety, employees will ask the customer to step back a safe distance or close the screen door/door so that they may leave the item in the mail receptacle or appropriate location by the customer door.
  • If there is no response, employees will follow the normal Notice Left process.
  • If there are delivery points on the route where social distancing recommendations are difficult to follow, alternative delivery methods can be explored. (Industry Alert – 3/20/20)"
Just because that is what is posted doesn't mean it's happening. I have had several packages requiring signature left without any attempt at contact from my carrier.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:03 PM
Randy

call your local p.o. and have them find out where the carrier delivered it.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:31 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Quote:
Just because that is what is posted doesn't mean it's happening. I have had several packages requiring signature left without any attempt at contact from my carrier.
Same here...I've had 3 packages requiring a signature dropped on my doorstep without even a knock on the door to let me know it was delivered. On the 3rd one, I happened to hear the footsteps and package drop on my stoop, as I was near my front door at the time. I was expecting the package and knew it was coming with signature required. I opened my door as the mail carrier was walking away and asked, "Don't I need to sign for this?" He turned toward me and threw up his hand and said, "No, we're not doing that during Covid."
Old 02-24-2021, 04:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

You guys don't seem to understand.

When timzcardz wrote, "USPS' temporary COVID procedures DO NOT include them signing for it themselves without your knowledge . . ." with "DO NOT" in all caps, he was specifically pointing out that this shouldn't have happened.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:35 PM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
You guys don't seem to understand.

When timzcardz wrote, "USPS' temporary COVID procedures DO NOT include them signing for it themselves without your knowledge . . ." with "DO NOT" in all caps, he was specifically pointing out that this shouldn't have happened.
CORRECT!

Obviously it’s happening, and obviously some postal employees are not doing what they are supposed to.

Are they misinformed?

Or willfully ignoring what is required and taking shortcuts?

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 02-24-2021, 09:14 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
CORRECT!

Obviously it’s happening, and obviously some postal employees are not doing what they are supposed to.

Are they misinformed?

Or willfully ignoring what is required and taking shortcuts?
In my case described above, there was also no attempt to approach my door, let alone knock. I know because I was sitting six feet away from it. When I chased down the postal worker and got his explanation, I asked if not getting the customer's signature and leaving the package in the mailbox was allowed. His exact words to me were "my supervisor told me to do it". Sounded like a CYA statement if ever I heard one.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 02-25-2021, 05:43 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:

Yea that is correct - They cant risk running into a zombie at the front door
Old 02-25-2021, 05:55 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I would think the simple solution for people that have mail delivered to their residence would be to leave a notice that they have a package at the post
office that requires a signature.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:55 PM
S Vincent

Last edited by Baseball Fan; 02-25-2021 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:43 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default Sellers responsibility

If a package shows delivered and the buyer didn't receive, I'm not sure Ebay will allow a case to be opened, the item shows delivered? The seller shipped the item in good faith and timely manner and printed the shipping label using Ebay's label system, the carrier made a error.

I wouldn't count on the carrier to pay any insurance claims if the item shows delivered.