NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-02-2020, 05:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Live, Love, Laugh(lin)...

Recently I started becoming obsessed with many things Laughlin. It all began inside the awesome '365 Days of Roberto Clemente' thread when I realized what an enigma the 1971 Fleer World Series 'update' set is. Apparently, the cards were (probably) all released during the summer of 1978 only through Good Humor ice cream trucks (net54 members laughlinfan and fleerfan are the go-to guys regarding the subject) as a supplement to the 1971 set.

After purchasing card #69 (featuring the majestic #21), which celebrates the Bucs' triumph in the '71 Series, I decided to try to put together a full set of these extension cards in high grade. The problem is, they are frickin' hard to find (read as expensive)!!!! Take a look at ebay. It's nearly impossible to locate PSA 9s (to be clear, I want to get 9s, but the card itself has to 'be' a 9, as I'm not just chasing the number) for most of these cards listed anywhere. There aren't even any 9s of the beautifully blue 1973 card (featuring my Mets getting their ass kicked...or getting kicked by an ass??) listed on the auction prices realized site. None. Well, over time and using CC rewards points whenever possible, I picked one up here and there. Today, the last piece of the puzzle finally arrived - card #75, saluting the Yanks' victory over the Dodgers in 1977. The funny thing is, when looking at that card, why in heck isn't it totally Reggied-out???? I mean, come on!!!! (Artistically, though, they did a pretty cool job with his notable absence. A lefty batter with the dark, nighttime sky looming really evokes the magical atmosphere of Game 6!!) It's my guess that these update cards ran into some legal issues with regard to the images used?? Four of the seven cards have no discernible players from the Series pictured on them. Of the other three, Clemente appears on the first one (he's the only player actually named), in my mind it could be a nebulous Catfish Hunter on the second, and Yaz coupled with perhaps a Bench/Rose amalgam appears on the 1975 card...but that's it. Too bad.

So here is the full seven card set in all of its glory. The two PSA 9 OC cards ***Edited to add: Both have been replaced by straight 9's!!*** don't look too bad at all (and came at a lower price) and the PSA 8 is really the best anyone can do...

Cool stuff!!!!!!!

On a side note, I have some doubles (PSA 8, PSA 9, PSA 9 OC) of a few of the cards, if anyone is interested.

So, if you got some Laughlin love, post 'em!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 05-28-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

I like those, Darren, and truthfully, until you posted, I had never seen them before.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:27 PM
Mike Lenart

pm sent.

Mike
Old 03-02-2020, 07:19 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Fleer was always so colorful back in the day! These look great!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2020, 09:40 PM

Great cards Darren! It’s weird, but I have collected Clemente for a long time and only added that card in the last couple of years. I always thought I had purchased it years ago, but when I went to look for it....doh!!! Gets a little pricey for RC in high grade.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:38 AM

I remember buying these from the Good Humor truck in my neighborhood in Baltimore. I have never seen a wrapper and I can’t remember how they where packaged. Is there two different types of backs ? Blue ink or Black ink ?
Thanks Scott
Old 03-03-2020, 01:58 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

With the update versions, there are just black backs. They are officially part of the 1971 set, which also has the black backs. The 1970 Fleer World Series set, though, has the blue backs.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:09 AM
Al Richter

As with most Fleer issues from this era, The Fleer Sticker blog is a great resource.

Great cards Darren, mine are ungraded and not nearly as nice

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE...W7TEBN9J3eeUQ-
Old 05-05-2020, 12:50 PM

I absolutely love these cards and have complete sets of ‘70 and ‘71. Another way to distinguish the two is the ‘70 set has no MLB logo on the front while the ‘71 set does have the MLB logo.

One question on the ‘67 set. Do all the ‘67 sets have Bob’s address on the back while the ‘74 set has no address line? Is that what distinguish them?

I have a few graded ones that have no address yet the label from PSA distinguishes it as a ‘67.

Thanks folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk