NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-14-2021, 09:25 PM
jayshum jayshum is online now
Jay Shumsky
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,013
Default Multiple copies of same card in an auction

I am often surprised to see multiple copies of the same card in a single auction. Even when they are varying condition or grade, I still think it has to hurt the final prices of the cards when there are so many to choose from at the same time. As an example, the new REA auction has 6 1954 #1 Ted Williams cards in it and 9 1954 #10 Jackie Robinsons. Maybe 2 or 3 of the same card won't have that much effect, but 6 or 9 of the same card seems like too many to me. Other thoughts on if an auction house should limit the number of a card they have in an auction.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-14-2021, 09:34 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,805
Default

It seems unlikely to me an auction house is going to turn away consignments. As I recall there was an REA fairly recently that had 15 or maybe it was even more Red Cobbs.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2021, 09:36 PM
jayshum jayshum is online now
Jay Shumsky
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It seems unlikely to me an auction house is going to turn away consignments. As I recall there was an REA fairly recently that had 15 or maybe it was even more Red Cobbs.
Instead of turning them away, can't they just hold some for the next auction since many of the AHs seem to have them monthly these days? I would think a seller would rather wait a month or two to have their card listed than to have it go up against so many other of the same card.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2021, 09:41 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Instead of turning them away, can't they just hold some for the next auction since many of the AHs seem to have them monthly these days? I would think a seller would rather wait a month or two to have their card listed than to have it go up against so many other of the same card.
It might get too complicated to keep track of that, and if you defer cards, then you run into the same problem with intake for the next auction.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2021, 10:12 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 30,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Instead of turning them away, can't they just hold some for the next auction since many of the AHs seem to have them monthly these days? I would think a seller would rather wait a month or two to have their card listed than to have it go up against so many other of the same card.
Red Cobbs are commodities. They will sell no matter how many. And not many will fall through the cracks. A thousand guys like us don't let it happen.
.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2021, 11:59 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is offline
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,900
Default

I think it's great to have multiple examples. Each card is different and it's fascinating to see the nuance play out in real monetary time. It's about as honest a process as you can get.
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
Original circulation E98 Master set 117/120, Lord help me...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-2021, 02:08 PM
jayshum jayshum is online now
Jay Shumsky
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Red Cobbs are commodities. They will sell no matter how many. And not many will fall through the cracks. A thousand guys like us don't let it happen.
.
I thought all of the Red Cobbs were different backs from the same collection so not really comparable to what I am asking about. Any comments from the people on the board that run auctions about whether or not they try to limit the number of a particular card in an auction or if they don't worry about it?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-15-2021, 03:34 PM
darwinbulldog's Avatar
darwinbulldog darwinbulldog is offline
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,575
Default

I'm just looking forward to the day Goldin runs a 500 lot auction of nothing but 1986 Fleer Jordans.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-15-2021, 03:49 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,577
Default

Goldin ran an auction with 2 PSA 10 Jordan RCs and the off centered one sold for the same price as the centered one. I bet the consignor was happy he ran the second one in the auction instead of holding it for a later auction where another PSA 10 Jordan RC sold for less.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-15-2021, 03:50 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 30,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I thought all of the Red Cobbs were different backs from the same collection so not really comparable to what I am asking about. Any comments from the people on the board that run auctions about whether or not they try to limit the number of a particular card in an auction or if they don't worry about it?
I was talking generally speaking, sorry about that.
Here's a red cobb...
shown a million and one times....but every thread....

__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-15-2021, 04:04 PM
mrreality68's Avatar
mrreality68 mrreality68 is offline
Jeffrey Kuhr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,682
Default

I have mixed feelings about it.

REA has been an excellent auction house for me and I have both consigned and bought cards thru them.

Several months back I consigned several cards including a 1951 Bowman Mantle (bought it when I lost my focus from my collection and went to sell it).

I figured it was a safe and easy sale since it is Bowman Mantle.

REA had 9 Bowman Mantles all within 1 Grade of my Card (Both SGC and PSA) including some with half grades.

The end result is that mine and other cards that auction went for less then prior auctions and auctions from other auction houses that had Mantles but not as many.

My opinion is that since so many so close the number of bidders were spread out and many if they did not get the one with the one appeal they wanted (because they were outbid) had others very close and did not get into the potential bidding war that drives up price.

I took a loss. Part of life of collecting of making some money and losing some money.

Never had that type of experience (maybe because my focus items are a little less common)

But bad taste month and now hesitant to put certain cards in certain auction houses that I know do this.

I know they potentially cannot hold cards over to their next auction but they should give the consigner the option. If they are the same card but big difference in GRade or Eye Appeal than it is not an issue.
__________________
Thanks all

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Kuhr@mac.com

Looking for
1921/22 Ruth Throwing Pose "Babe" and George
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1917 Boston Store Babe Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1914 E & S Publishing Card Joe Jackson
other Joe Jackson playing day cards
1911 M110 Sporting Life Cobb and Wagner Cards
1908 Rose Postcard Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-15-2021, 07:30 PM
jayshum jayshum is online now
Jay Shumsky
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I have mixed feelings about it.

REA has been an excellent auction house for me and I have both consigned and bought cards thru them.

Several months back I consigned several cards including a 1951 Bowman Mantle (bought it when I lost my focus from my collection and went to sell it).

I figured it was a safe and easy sale since it is Bowman Mantle.

REA had 9 Bowman Mantles all within 1 Grade of my Card (Both SGC and PSA) including some with half grades.

The end result is that mine and other cards that auction went for less then prior auctions and auctions from other auction houses that had Mantles but not as many.

My opinion is that since so many so close the number of bidders were spread out and many if they did not get the one with the one appeal they wanted (because they were outbid) had others very close and did not get into the potential bidding war that drives up price.

I took a loss. Part of life of collecting of making some money and losing some money.

Never had that type of experience (maybe because my focus items are a little less common)

But bad taste month and now hesitant to put certain cards in certain auction houses that I know do this.

I know they potentially cannot hold cards over to their next auction but they should give the consigner the option. If they are the same card but big difference in GRade or Eye Appeal than it is not an issue.
That is my thought as well that there is less competition over one card since there are so many others to bid on so prices are not going to be as high. Good for buyers but not for the consigners or the AH which is why I am surprised they don't try to limit the amount of the same card in the same auction.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else having an issue with multiple email The Sports Auction Company whiteymet Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 08-04-2020 04:27 PM
Surviving Copies of the 1939 United States Card Collectors Catalog teza11 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 27 01-18-2019 08:28 PM
Multiple Copies (Slightly O/T) mintacular Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 9 10-24-2009 07:59 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.


ebay GSB