NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-10-2021, 05:30 PM
mrreality68's Avatar
mrreality68 mrreality68 is online now
Jeffrey Kuhr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,682
Default

Yes this auction there was no true reason for the highs and not so high on some of the cards

Like to me this card where Ruth looks like he is a cartoon in prison went for $28k.

Unique for the Grade” & the Finest 1933 R337 Eclipse Import #402 Babe Ruth PSA 7 NM – “Pop 1” & the Highest Graded Example for ALL 24 SUBJECTS on the Combined PSA & SGC “Pop” Charts!

On the flip side I thought who ever won the Felix Mendelssohn Ruth for $43k did really good. I thought the price was light.

The 2 1926-29 Ruth Exhibit Postcards 1 went for less then 5k and 1 less then $4k. I think those buyers did well also.

The Goudey Ruth’s and the 1921 and e121 Ruth’s throwing pose seem to go for strong prices.

The 1922 w575-1 Ruth throwing pose seemed to go for less than I thought it should have

Then there was the 1933 Cigar Ruth and the 1922 e121 photo montage Ruth I believe those went for about the right price
__________________
Thanks all

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Kuhr@mac.com

Looking for
1921/22 Ruth Throwing Pose "Babe" and George
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1917 Boston Store Babe Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1914 E & S Publishing Card Joe Jackson
other Joe Jackson playing day cards
1911 M110 Sporting Life Cobb and Wagner Cards
1908 Rose Postcard Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-10-2021, 05:50 PM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,993
Default

I won the two Marriot Signed Art Prints lots ! I was so happy. The 3 Mantles, Two Willie Mays and one Bob Feller :-(
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-10-2021, 07:42 PM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
+j +R@!|
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Yes this auction there was no true reason for the highs and not so high on some of the cards

Like to me this card where Ruth looks like he is a cartoon in prison went for $28k.

Unique for the Grade” & the Finest 1933 R337 Eclipse Import #402 Babe Ruth PSA 7 NM – “Pop 1” & the Highest Graded Example for ALL 24 SUBJECTS on the Combined PSA & SGC “Pop” Charts!

On the flip side I thought who ever won the Felix Mendelssohn Ruth for $43k did really good. I thought the price was light.

The 2 1926-29 Ruth Exhibit Postcards 1 went for less then 5k and 1 less then $4k. I think those buyers did well also.

The Goudey Ruth’s and the 1921 and e121 Ruth’s throwing pose seem to go for strong prices.

The 1922 w575-1 Ruth throwing pose seemed to go for less than I thought it should have

Then there was the 1933 Cigar Ruth and the 1922 e121 photo montage Ruth I believe those went for about the right price
I was bidding on several of those Ruths. The 1922 w575 I would have much a much stronger play for had I not spent the same amount on the Michael Jordan/Lebron James dual auto card. Had someone bid me off of that card, I was planning to win that Ruth. It was still quite a bit lower than I would have gone on it. I pegged it in the $45k-$60k range value-wise. And yes, I thought that Felix Mendelssohn Ruth went cheap as well. I felt under bankrolled and underprepared for this auction. I think there were a lot of opportunities missed in this one.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-10-2021, 08:17 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I was bidding on several of those Ruths. The 1922 w575 I would have much a much stronger play for had I not spent the same amount on the Michael Jordan/Lebron James dual auto card. Had someone bid me off of that card, I was planning to win that Ruth. It was still quite a bit lower than I would have gone on it. I pegged it in the $45k-$60k range value-wise. And yes, I thought that Felix Mendelssohn Ruth went cheap as well. I felt under bankrolled and underprepared for this auction. I think there were a lot of opportunities missed in this one.
Happy to say I was able to snag the Felix Mendelsohn Ruth! Really excited for this one!
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-10-2021, 08:31 PM
mrreality68's Avatar
mrreality68 mrreality68 is online now
Jeffrey Kuhr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Happy to say I was able to snag the Felix Mendelsohn Ruth! Really excited for this one!
Wow Congratulations on picking up the Mendelssohn Ruth

Welcome to the family
__________________
Thanks all

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Kuhr@mac.com

Looking for
1921/22 Ruth Throwing Pose "Babe" and George
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1917 Boston Store Babe Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1914 E & S Publishing Card Joe Jackson
other Joe Jackson playing day cards
1911 M110 Sporting Life Cobb and Wagner Cards
1908 Rose Postcard Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-10-2021, 08:37 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Wow Congratulations on picking up the Mendelssohn Ruth

Welcome to the family
Thanks Jeff! You have a great copy! I actually had/ have an sgc 1 I got last year too, this is an upgrade for me! Might be my favorite Ruth I think!
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-10-2021, 08:43 PM
Bicem's Avatar
Bicem Bicem is offline
Jeff 'Prize-ner'
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,800
Default

Congrats Erick, love that card too.
__________________
Please donate & help save a life...
https://www.humanesociety.org/
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-10-2021, 08:45 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Congrats Erick, love that card too.
Thanks Jeff!
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-10-2021, 08:48 PM
sportscardpete's Avatar
sportscardpete sportscardpete is offline
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Happy to say I was able to snag the Felix Mendelsohn Ruth! Really excited for this one!
Erick, fantastic upgrade!
__________________
www.thecreasedcorner.com

Looking for (and paying a finders fee):

W600 Cobb and Wagner
E104-2 Wagner
PMG Green Marvin Harrison
Exquisite Gretzky and Jordan patch autos
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-10-2021, 09:10 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,802
Default

Thanks Pete!
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 10-10-2021, 09:28 PM
Rhotchkiss's Avatar
Rhotchkiss Rhotchkiss is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Happy to say I was able to snag the Felix Mendelsohn Ruth! Really excited for this one!
Congrats Erick. I am glad it went to a well deserved home. I woke up last night at 4am eastern and came very close bidding on it, but I didn’t, and knowing you won it makes me happy I didn’t bid (or at least bid you up).
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-10-2021, 09:40 PM
sycks22's Avatar
sycks22 sycks22 is offline
Pete Sycks
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,138
Default

It always amazing me what the set registry will make people do. PSA 9 sold for $2500 last year.

https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/...e?itemid=61710

52 Topps PSA common for $64k
__________________
My website with current cards

http://syckscards.weebly.com


Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-10-2021, 09:50 PM
yanksfan09's Avatar
yanksfan09 yanksfan09 is offline
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Congrats Erick. I am glad it went to a well deserved home. I woke up last night at 4am eastern and came very close bidding on it, but I didn’t, and knowing you won it makes me happy I didn’t bid (or at least bid you up).
Thanks Ryan! Me too
__________________
Er1ck.L. ---D381 seeker http://www.flickr.com/photos/30236659@N04/sets/
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-11-2021, 01:37 AM
cardsagain74 cardsagain74 is offline
J0hn H@rper
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
It always amazing me what the set registry will make people do. PSA 9 sold for $2500 last year.

https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/...e?itemid=61710

52 Topps PSA common for $64k
I've always felt the same way (about what people will pay for PSA 10 commons from the '50s), but I can at least understand this one a little more.

You so rarely have a '52 T PSA 10 hit the marketplace. I can't remember seeing any in the two years I've been back in the hobby, though I easily could've missed something during that time.

Given how '59 T PSA 10 commons could fetch $10 k pre-pandemic (and 7 x more of them exist), I'm not too surprised to see a hallowed '52 commanding $64 k
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-11-2021, 08:14 AM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
It always amazing me what the set registry will make people do. PSA 9 sold for $2500 last year.

https://memorylaneinc.com/site/bids/...e?itemid=61710

52 Topps PSA common for $64k
I mean, to each his own, and whatever floats your boat, but it's not like you walk down the street and are mobbed like Paul McCartney or Mick Jaeger because you moved up from 41th to 39th on a PSA registry. Amazing people feel so strongly about it.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-11-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-11-2021, 11:09 AM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I'm mean, to each his own, and whatever floats your boat, but it's not like you walk down the street and are mobbed like Paul McCartney or Mick Jaeger because you moved up from 41th to 39th on a PSA registry. Amazing people feel so strongly about is.
I agree. A $30 raw card.

$63,970 buys a great Jagger-esque party, complete with endless hookers and blow.
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-11-2021, 11:10 AM
trambo's Avatar
trambo trambo is online now
Troy Rambo
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 432
Default

[QUOTE=Snowman;2152699]Out of curiosity, why did you think this would only go for $25-30k? Were you more just hoping for that, or did you research recent comparable sales first that led you to believe that was it's range?


Your question was to another member here but since I was looking at it as well, I thought I could answer as to the why the $25-$30k range on the Young. Last sale (which was awhile ago) was about $10k if memory serves. PSA 7 HoF guys (think Johnson, Mathewson) were in the mid-high teens recently and a 7.5 sold in the low $40ks less than a year ago. Using those data points and knowing the pop report show them all somewhat similar made me come to that conclusion.

I don't think it was a registry buy for whomever bought it but I can't be sure. Regardless, it was a gorgeous 7!

...and here's my big 3 from my set. I wanted the 7 but am pretty happy w/my 6!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb-Young-Mathewson t205 PSA.jpg (76.5 KB, 496 views)

Last edited by trambo; 10-11-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-11-2021, 11:28 AM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is online now
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 2,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I'm mean, to each his own, and whatever floats your boat, but it's not like you walk down the street and are mobbed like Paul McCartney or Mick Jaeger because you moved up from 41th to 39th on a PSA registry. Amazing people feel so strongly about is.
Agreed. I always found it absurd, that in the sports card world— or perhaps these days the best word is "market"— there are those who will pay exponential price increases for infinitesimal (if any) increase in card quality.

The recent Memory Lane auction bears this silly dynamic out in so many cards. Just take any of those PSA 9 Mantles. There has never and will never be any convincing this collector that a tiny degree of sharper corner here or there makes a "9" worth $400,000 more than an "8." Paying more for overall eye appeal that I can actually see when holding and viewing the card, that I get. Paying such a multiplier over other readily available options just for the sticker— a sticker applied by a company that has had so many widely known miscues? Seems crazy to me. But as many have said in the hobby, "the Registry is a powerful drug." That's always been a perfect analogy, because gobs of money have certainly been spent on drugs by addicts.

Last edited by MattyC; 10-11-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-11-2021, 11:38 AM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,241
Default

From the first day I got into hobby I was buying PSA and SGC about equally, so never paid any mind to the whole registry concept.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-11-2021, 01:13 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 10,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
The 2 1926-29 Ruth Exhibit Postcards 1 went for less then 5k and 1 less then $4k. I think those buyers did well also.
Portrait PSA 1 MK $4,554.00
Batting SGC 1 3,421.00

I thought the batting pose went a bit light; the portrait was right for the grade. I think all of those 1920s exhibit Ruth cards are soon going to be $5k+ cards in virtually any condition.
__________________
At ten all I thought about was card collecting. At twenty all I thought about was women. At thirty all I thought about was success. At forty all I thought about was money. Now all I think about is retirement...because all I want to think about is card collecting!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-11-2021, 01:55 PM
Rhotchkiss's Avatar
Rhotchkiss Rhotchkiss is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
"the Registry is a powerful drug." That's always been a perfect analogy, because gobs of money have certainly been spent on drugs by addicts.
It is a very powerful drug. I have one psa registered set - my 526 card t206 set. Initially, I didn’t care about the grade composition, but later decided that (excluding the big 6), I wanted all commons in at least a 5 and all HOFers in at least a 6. And as I started upgrading my set, I started moving up the registry, which I liked. And some cards are weighted more, so I found myself considering Zach Wheat in a 7 merely because his card was weighted a 4 vs other HOFers who are weighted 3. It’s stupid, but I fully got caught up. And then I got to #4, stayed there a week until the guy I jumped made an acquisition to take back #4. My first thought was what can I do to get back into 4??!! Anyway, only need two more commons in a 5+ and I have all HOFers in a 6+, and, to some dealers’ dismay, I have decided to stop upgrading. But I can tell you first hand that the registry is like crack.

As much as I have issues with PSA, I will concede that the registry is nothing short of sheer genius and, in my opinion, the sole reason why SGC will always play second fiddle
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-11-2021, 02:07 PM
mrreality68's Avatar
mrreality68 mrreality68 is online now
Jeffrey Kuhr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
It is a very powerful drug. I have one psa registered set - my 526 card t206 set. Initially, I didn’t care about the grade composition, but later decided that (excluding the big 6), I wanted all commons in at least a 5 and all HOFers in at least a 6. And as I started upgrading my set, I started moving up the registry, which I liked. And some cards are weighted more, so I found myself considering Zach Wheat in a 7 merely because his card was weighted a 4 vs other HOFers who are weighted 3. It’s stupid, but I fully got caught up. And then I got to #4, stayed there a week until the guy I jumped made an acquisition to take back #4. My first thought was what can I do to get back into 4??!! Anyway, only need two more commons in a 5+ and I have all HOFers in a 6+, and, to some dealers’ dismay, I have decided to stop upgrading. But I can tell you first hand that the registry is like crack.

As much as I have issues with PSA, I will concede that the registry is nothing short of sheer genius and, in my opinion, the sole reason why SGC will always play second fiddle
Hi Ryan,

I do not totally understand the weighting of it to get on the list and to move up or down it.
But I do disagree with 1 premise.
In my opinion yours should be #1 because your shows as the only set 100% complete. That should be the biggest weighted factor in my opinion.
Regardless you have a great set and congratulations on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ryan.jpg (68.6 KB, 451 views)
__________________
Thanks all

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Kuhr@mac.com

Looking for
1921/22 Ruth Throwing Pose "Babe" and George
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1917 Boston Store Babe Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1914 E & S Publishing Card Joe Jackson
other Joe Jackson playing day cards
1911 M110 Sporting Life Cobb and Wagner Cards
1908 Rose Postcard Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-11-2021, 02:08 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is online now
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 30,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
It was centered with oversized borders. Surprised there wasn’t a MC on the grade. Great card whoever won it.
+2. I loved that green T206 Cobb. If I didn't have one, and had the money, that one was a keeper. Beautiful card. I have paid 2x vcp for the best of the best. And will do it all over again. (hopefully)
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 10-11-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-11-2021, 02:53 PM
ValKehl's Avatar
ValKehl ValKehl is offline
Val Kehl
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manassas, VA (DC suburb)
Posts: 2,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
It is a very powerful drug. I have one psa registered set - my 526 card t206 set. Initially, I didn’t care about the grade composition, but later decided that (excluding the big 6), I wanted all commons in at least a 5 and all HOFers in at least a 6. And as I started upgrading my set, I started moving up the registry, which I liked. And some cards are weighted more, so I found myself considering Zach Wheat in a 7 merely because his card was weighted a 4 vs other HOFers who are weighted 3. It’s stupid, but I fully got caught up. And then I got to #4, stayed there a week until the guy I jumped made an acquisition to take back #4. My first thought was what can I do to get back into 4??!! Anyway, only need two more commons in a 5+ and I have all HOFers in a 6+, and, to some dealers’ dismay, I have decided to stop upgrading. But I can tell you first hand that the registry is like crack.

As much as I have issues with PSA, I will concede that the registry is nothing short of sheer genius and, in my opinion, the sole reason why SGC will always play second fiddle
Ryan, I commend you for this most insightful post AND for your ongoing willingness to share various aspects of your collection with us, which most collectors with fabulous collections don't do. Whether you are #4, #5 or #6 on PSA's T206 set registry, your accomplishment is tremendous, IMHO.
__________________
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210-2, W504, & Queen City Cigar. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery of WaJo.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-11-2021, 02:54 PM
Donscards Donscards is offline
Don Hontz
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 1,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Portrait PSA 1 MK $4,554.00
Batting SGC 1 3,421.00

I thought the batting pose went a bit light; the portrait was right for the grade. I think all of those 1920s exhibit Ruth cards are soon going to be $5k+ cards in virtually any condition.
Adam I love the Ruth Exhibits--I was the buyer on the Batting SGC 1---I also just had these 2 graded by SGC (thanks for your help)---Don---I also love all the color variations on the 1926-29 (can drive you crazy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20211009 (10).jpg (77.9 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg Scan_20211009 (8).jpg (78.5 KB, 442 views)
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10-11-2021, 02:58 PM
Rhotchkiss's Avatar
Rhotchkiss Rhotchkiss is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2,774
Default

Thanks Jeff and Val. I guess I was 5th and then got pushed to 6th

Maybe one day I will pay way too much for some BS upgrade, just to jump Joey for a few days before he does the same and over takes me. And, of course, it will be wholly unacceptable if Brady jumps me, so if I drop to 7th than I will have to email Bill B and pay up for some Southern Leaguers in a 6+ (bc they are weighted 2), so I can put Brady back in his place! The registry is literally a crack-infused, digital dick-size competition and it’s amazing what some of (us) dicks will pay to be one spot higher. I mean, look how close I am to having an average grade of 6…. For a mere $50k at most, I could get there. Seriously, it was the most brilliant thing PSA did and the reason it will (unfortunately, bc they are not good at their job) stay on top.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-11-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-11-2021, 03:48 PM
notfast notfast is offline
Ma.tt Whi.te
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: MD
Posts: 231
Default

Am I the only once who has got emailed 3 of the same invoices since yesterday afternoon?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-11-2021, 05:26 PM
mrreality68's Avatar
mrreality68 mrreality68 is online now
Jeffrey Kuhr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
Am I the only once who has got emailed 3 of the same invoices since yesterday afternoon?
I got the email twice. I guess they are reminding us to pay.
__________________
Thanks all

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Kuhr@mac.com

Looking for
1921/22 Ruth Throwing Pose "Babe" and George
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1917 Boston Store Babe Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1914 E & S Publishing Card Joe Jackson
other Joe Jackson playing day cards
1911 M110 Sporting Life Cobb and Wagner Cards
1908 Rose Postcard Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-11-2021, 05:34 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,861
Default

No, you are not.

Also, they made this big charade about their zelle email had changed, and never once put what it was. (Spoiler ) I dont think it changed
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

NEED THE FOLLOWING 1952 topps

G TO VG-EX

(TONS TO TRADE, HIGHS LOWS, VARIATIONS, ERRORS)



345 white
347 adcock
354 Hatfield
399 fridley
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-11-2021, 05:58 PM
MuncieNolePAZ MuncieNolePAZ is offline
Chad
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Indiana
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I got the email twice. I guess they are reminding us to pay.
I got two as well.

Chad
__________________
Wantlist
T206 Walter Johnson Portrait Brown Hindu
T206 Walter Johnson Pitching American Beauty
T206 Ty Cobb Red Portrait Old Mill
T206 Walter Johnson Pitching Cycle
E98 Blue Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 10-11-2021, 07:43 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is offline
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Thanks Jeff and Val. I guess I was 5th and then got pushed to 6th

Maybe one day I will pay way too much for some BS upgrade, just to jump Joey for a few days before he does the same and over takes me. And, of course, it will be wholly unacceptable if Brady jumps me, so if I drop to 7th than I will have to email Bill B and pay up for some Southern Leaguers in a 6+ (bc they are weighted 2), so I can put Brady back in his place! The registry is literally a crack-infused, digital dick-size competition and it’s amazing what some of (us) dicks will pay to be one spot higher. I mean, look how close I am to having an average grade of 6…. For a mere $50k at most, I could get there. Seriously, it was the most brilliant thing PSA did and the reason it will (unfortunately, bc they are not good at their job) stay on top.
I don't buy the weighted average of a less than complete set. The first denominator should be a complete run, everything else after that.
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
Original circulation E98 Master set 117/120, Lord help me...
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 10-11-2021, 11:01 PM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I don't buy the weighted average of a less than complete set. The first denominator should be a complete run, everything else after that.
I was equally confused by this. A complete set should trump all.
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 10-11-2021, 11:11 PM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
+j +R@!|
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I don't buy the weighted average of a less than complete set. The first denominator should be a complete run, everything else after that.
I'm fine with the weighted average of a less than a complete set as long as you receive a weight of zero for the cards you are missing.

So in a 10 card set, if I have 9 PSA 9s but am missing the 10th card, that should yield a higher score than someone with all 10 cards graded as PSA 8s since 9x9 is 81 and 10x8 is 80.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 10-11-2021, 11:19 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is offline
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I'm fine with the weighted average of a less than a complete set as long as you receive a weight of zero for the cards you are missing.

So in a 10 card set, if I have 9 PSA 9s but am missing the 10th card, that should yield a higher score than someone with all 10 cards graded as PSA 8s since 9x9 is 81 and 10x8 is 80.
In theory you could have 520, missing the big 4 and still take top spot. I don't know how they weight these things, it's not my bag, but without the big 4 you shouldn't take precedent over a 524 complete set. Just my opinion.
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
Original circulation E98 Master set 117/120, Lord help me...

Last edited by Casey2296; 10-11-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 10-11-2021, 11:34 PM
DeanH3's Avatar
DeanH3 DeanH3 is offline
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Portrait PSA 1 MK $4,554.00
Batting SGC 1 3,421.00

I thought the batting pose went a bit light; the portrait was right for the grade. I think all of those 1920s exhibit Ruth cards are soon going to be $5k+ cards in virtually any condition.
I was bidding on the portrait pose. But the pinholes eventually caused me to hesitate. I'll have to wait for another opportunity.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-12-2021, 01:51 AM
nolemmings's Avatar
nolemmings nolemmings is online now
Todd Schultz
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
SO maybe their ending, we dislike so much, works LOL....
Looking at the auction there were crazy high prices on things. an E91 Matty in a 3 holder for over $8600!
With noticeable paper loss no less. Oh well, so long as PSA missed it, it's all good.
__________________
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this:
If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle.
We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us.
It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken.
Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.” ---Carl Sagan
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-12-2021, 11:25 AM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
In theory you could have 520, missing the big 4 and still take top spot. I don't know how they weight these things, it's not my bag, but without the big 4 you shouldn't take precedent over a 524 complete set. Just my opinion.
If you have a PSA 1 Wagner wouldn't that be worth 10 points? That is equal 2 PSA 5 commons. Their weighting system doesn't always make sense.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 10-12-2021, 11:43 AM
hcv123 hcv123 is offline
Howard Chasser
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 2,800
Default A few thoughts

1) As Floyd points out - the weighting system in at least some cases makes NO sense! Years ago I asked how they determine the weights - I was told by PSA that the weight is based on the value of the card in PSA 8 - the higher the value, the higher the weight. With that information, I dove deep into the weighting in the Clemente master set registry and found numerous weights that made no sense - at the time I sent sales records on a bunch of cards and was able to influence the changing of a number of weights. I've just thrown up my hands and stepped a bit back from the registry since.

2) In addition, as Ryan so clearly points out, the registry being a significant price driver for PSA slabs, I do believe that PSA invests A LOT more $$ and does a LOT better job branding their company than any of the other grading companies. As I share with many at shows, my experience is that while the quality of grading (for better AND worse) is equivalent between PSA and SGC, PSA so far has maintained stronger market prices for equivalent grades.

3) Also agree with Matty about the price differential between as an example 8's and 9's given what those "in the know" know about the gross inconsistency (on a good day) in the grading process. Clearly there are deep pocketedd newer buyers that have much to learn. That said, there may be enough of them that in a practical sense it will not matter.


All of the above notwithstanding, it seems impossible to ignore some of the jaw dropping hammer prices on so many items
__________________
I have been a Net 54 member since 2009 and have an Ebay store since 1998 https://www.ebay.com/usr/favorite_things

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.

Last edited by hcv123; 10-12-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 10-12-2021, 11:43 AM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,909
Default

So, because of the weighting system, could you theoretically have a PSA 10 Wagner and no other T206s and have, like the #3 set on the registry?
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18

Last edited by conor912; 10-12-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 10-12-2021, 12:17 PM
trambo's Avatar
trambo trambo is online now
Troy Rambo
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
It is a very powerful drug. I have one psa registered set - my 526 card t206 set. Initially, I didn’t care about the grade composition, but later decided that (excluding the big 6), I wanted all commons in at least a 5 and all HOFers in at least a 6. And as I started upgrading my set, I started moving up the registry, which I liked. And some cards are weighted more, so I found myself considering Zach Wheat in a 7 merely because his card was weighted a 4 vs other HOFers who are weighted 3. It’s stupid, but I fully got caught up. And then I got to #4, stayed there a week until the guy I jumped made an acquisition to take back #4. My first thought was what can I do to get back into 4??!! Anyway, only need two more commons in a 5+ and I have all HOFers in a 6+, and, to some dealers’ dismay, I have decided to stop upgrading. But I can tell you first hand that the registry is like crack.

As much as I have issues with PSA, I will concede that the registry is nothing short of sheer genius and, in my opinion, the sole reason why SGC will always play second fiddle


Agree w/you, Ryan as learning about the weighting makes choices for cards very interesting. Agree w/you on the Wheat, too. I found a good deal on a 7.5 and when I saw the weighting, it became a no brainer.

As always, great set! I'll never be 100% complete but happy w/my 521. Hoping to get closer to your set but not looking forward to the 150-200 commons I need to upgrade...haha!!
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 10-12-2021, 01:50 PM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is online now
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 2,228
Default

The Registry was certainly a genius creation from the perspective of PSA, and how it ensnared so many participants.

Its salient feature, in my opinion, is how it got (and continues to get) so many collectors to spend money on cards they never really wanted, and would never really want, were it not for The Registry.

I, too, was once into it— and then I realized how deep into the weeds I had wandered. How far off course I had gotten, when I compared what originally would have satisfied me to what I was actually pursuing. The Registry also gets collectors to spend more time looking at other's sets with competitive eyes than looking at one's own cards with simple and pure enjoyment. And the cherry of lunacy atop all that, is that most Registry sets don't even feature pictures, so you wind up looking at a web page in a remote corner of the internet that shows only a grid with cards and opinions from graders who get it wrong a good deal of the time.

For me, the epiphany— or should I say intervention— came when my brother took me to task for spending thousands on commons. He had such a fresh, genuine, outsider perspective on it, that cut through the fog; he said something like, "Dude, what the &*@# are you doing? You just spent thousands on a Wayne Twitchell. Wayne Twitchell? Who the hell was Wayne Twitchell and why on earth would you spend that much on him? I don't care how few exist with that stupid sticker on it, you can get that same card in almost identical condition for so much less. You're a moron. Go spend that on a player or card you actually always wanted."

And like that, the spell was broken, LOL. I consigned that set and built my collection, going after all the cards I always wanted as a kid. I was back to collecting for myself, not for PSA, or to compete with utter strangers.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 10-12-2021, 02:11 PM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
So, because of the weighting system, could you theoretically have a PSA 10 Wagner and no other T206s and have, like the #3 set on the registry?
A PSA 10 Wagner would only be 100 points. A guy with 21 PSA 5 commons would be higher on the registry than the guy with the PSA 10 Wagner.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 10-12-2021, 02:27 PM
53toppscollector's Avatar
53toppscollector 53toppscollector is offline
James
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The Registry was certainly a genius creation from the perspective of PSA, and how it ensnared so many participants.

Its salient feature, in my opinion, is how it got (and continues to get) so many collectors to spend money on cards they never really wanted, and would never really want, were it not for The Registry.

I, too, was once into it— and then I realized how deep into the weeds I had wandered. How far off course I had gotten, when I compared what originally would have satisfied me to what I was actually pursuing. The Registry also gets collectors to spend more time looking at other's sets with competitive eyes than looking at one's own cards with simple and pure enjoyment. And the cherry of lunacy atop all that, is that most Registry sets don't even feature pictures, so you wind up looking at a web page in a remote corner of the internet that shows only a grid with cards and opinions from graders who get it wrong a good deal of the time.

For me, the epiphany— or should I say intervention— came when my brother took me to task for spending thousands on commons. He had such a fresh, genuine, outsider perspective on it, that cut through the fog; he said something like, "Dude, what the &*@# are you doing? You just spent thousands on a Wayne Twitchell. Wayne Twitchell? Who the hell was Wayne Twitchell and why on earth would you spend that much on him? I don't care how few exist with that stupid sticker on it, you can get that same card in almost identical condition for so much less. You're a moron. Go spend that on a player or card you actually always wanted."

And like that, the spell was broken, LOL. I consigned that set and built my collection, going after all the cards I always wanted as a kid. I was back to collecting for myself, not for PSA, or to compete with utter strangers.
I had a pretty similar experience with the 1953 Topps set. It sort of broke my spell with the PSA registry, and I now own zero graded cards as a result.
__________________
Looking to buy raw/low grade T206 portraits, all backs. If you have any to part with, please PM me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 10-12-2021, 03:51 PM
brian1961 brian1961 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The Registry was certainly a genius creation from the perspective of PSA, and how it ensnared so many participants.

Its salient feature, in my opinion, is how it got (and continues to get) so many collectors to spend money on cards they never really wanted, and would never really want, were it not for The Registry.

I, too, was once into it— and then I realized how deep into the weeds I had wandered. How far off course I had gotten, when I compared what originally would have satisfied me to what I was actually pursuing. The Registry also gets collectors to spend more time looking at other's sets with competitive eyes than looking at one's own cards with simple and pure enjoyment. And the cherry of lunacy atop all that, is that most Registry sets don't even feature pictures, so you wind up looking at a web page in a remote corner of the internet that shows only a grid with cards and opinions from graders who get it wrong a good deal of the time.

For me, the epiphany— or should I say intervention— came when my brother took me to task for spending thousands on commons. He had such a fresh, genuine, outsider perspective on it, that cut through the fog; he said something like, "Dude, what the &*@# are you doing? You just spent thousands on a Wayne Twitchell. Wayne Twitchell? Who the hell was Wayne Twitchell and why on earth would you spend that much on him? I don't care how few exist with that stupid sticker on it, you can get that same card in almost identical condition for so much less. You're a moron. Go spend that on a player or card you actually always wanted."

And like that, the spell was broken, LOL. I consigned that set and built my collection, going after all the cards I always wanted as a kid. I was back to collecting for myself, not for PSA, or to compete with utter strangers.
Excellent, thought-provoking, and well-written post, MattyC. Thank you. -- Brian Powell
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 10-12-2021, 05:48 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,861
Default

You think THOSE weights are ridiculous, the SIGNED WEIGHTS for the 1952 topps are exactly the same as the unsigned weights! You have guys living with a weight of 4 or 5, and guys who died in the 1950s, some with 2 examples known, worth 1 point!
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

NEED THE FOLLOWING 1952 topps

G TO VG-EX

(TONS TO TRADE, HIGHS LOWS, VARIATIONS, ERRORS)



345 white
347 adcock
354 Hatfield
399 fridley
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 10-12-2021, 05:52 PM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,909
Default

Hmm. Sounds silly.
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 10-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
+j +R@!|
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 651
Default

I think this hobby needs a crowd-sourced registry where collectors (not PSA) determines the value of each card in any grade from all TPGs. If I had the time, I'd build one, but alas, I do not.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 10-12-2021, 08:15 PM
3-2-count's Avatar
3-2-count 3-2-count is offline
Tony Andrea
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I think this hobby needs a crowd-sourced registry where collectors (not PSA) determines the value of each card in any grade from all TPGs. If I had the time, I'd build one, but alas, I do not.
See post #23 in the below thread from May. I wonder if it ever grew legs.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...72#post2098772
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 10-12-2021, 10:45 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 10,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH3 View Post
I was bidding on the portrait pose. But the pinholes eventually caused me to hesitate. I'll have to wait for another opportunity.
FWIW, which is admittedly nothing, that is my favorite Ruth Exhibit card.
__________________
At ten all I thought about was card collecting. At twenty all I thought about was women. At thirty all I thought about was success. At forty all I thought about was money. Now all I think about is retirement...because all I want to think about is card collecting!
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 10-13-2021, 06:08 PM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
+j +R@!|
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
See post #23 in the below thread from May. I wonder if it ever grew legs.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...72#post2098772
That's cool. Hopefully one of these projects grows into something with broad appeal and adoption.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memory Lane Auction Casey2296 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 75 07-15-2021 09:38 AM
Memory Lane Auction bcbgcbrcb Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 0 04-09-2011 08:42 AM
Memory Lane Auction.... illini805 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 29 08-10-2009 06:30 PM
Memory Lane auction? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 2 01-28-2009 05:15 PM
Memory Lane Auction Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 4 09-17-2007 10:35 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 AM.


ebay GSB