NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned

only now he gets disappointed with jsa?

i found that boat about 4 years ago.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Travis, it's all personal opinion. Someone will endorse something that most others are certain is a forgery, and support the TPA that authenticated it, but then when they disagree with the TPA, they are disappointed.

We all follow that model.

What I don't understand is people being disappointed in an auction house for not pulling a TPA-endorsed forgery. Once the house has decided to use a particular TPA, that TPA is their expert. You either support the TPA's decisions, or you stop using the TPA. Telling a supposed 'expert' that they are wrong, by pulling an item from your auction, isn't going to happen - it would be a bad precedent.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
only now he gets disappointed with jsa?

i found that boat about 4 years ago.
This may be hard for you to believe, but it is possible for some people to be disappointed in a decision someone else makes without completely condemning them, calling them incompetant at every turn, ranting like a lunatic ad nauseum, conjuring countless inane analogies, turning every thread into a hate-filled diatribe, etc. etc.

Just sayin'
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
This may be hard for you to believe, but it is possible for some people to be disappointed in a decision someone else makes without completely condemning them, calling them incompetant at every turn, ranting like a lunatic ad nauseum, conjuring countless inane analogies, turning every thread into a hate-filled diatribe, etc. etc.

Just sayin'
Don't you think it is time just to make belive he is not there.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Don't you think it is time just to make belive he is not there.
+1
Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Scott R.

Quote:

Just sayin'
I completely get that all of these TPA's are fallible...even the big 2.

But what I don't understand as of yet (since I'm fairly new to the industry), is the poor quality of some of the forgeries that are being certed (particularly the high end autos). Some of these are so bad, that the company that issued the cert is the only one claiming them be authentic.

Is it the fact that so many Ruth's/Gehrig's/Cobb's are submitted to the big 2, that some very bad versions slip through the cracks? If that's the case, I would argue that I deserve much better service for my $200 authentication fee. I've submitted Ruth auto's at national events, and on average, I have an answer within 30 minutes....which would equate to $400 per hour. At that rate, bad versions shouldn't slip through (but I do understand a well executed forgery occasionally getting through).

And don't get me wrong, I have no problem with paying the fee...because as a little guy, I need the cert and can recoup that fee in the sale price.

Then again, maybe I'm completely off base, and the big 2 have exemplars of atypical Ruth's/Gehrig's/Cobb's that no one else is privy to.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 PM

The big two don't have anything that "no one else is privy to."
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Scott R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
The big two don't have anything that "no one else is privy to."
That's my point...
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Response

Fellas:
I just went through the thread and I apologize for not weighing in earlier. Here are some facts surrounding this:

There is a back story to this piece that also needs to be told. The ticket came from a gentleman in the Detroit, MI area who was gifted the ticket from a woman who attended the game with her father at Navin Field. Following that game, her and her father were at The Fisher Building in Detroit where Babe Ruth was doing a radio interview and the woman was sitting next to Ruth's wife. They got to talking and the woman asked if Ruth would sign the ticket stub from the game that she attended where he hit his 700th home run. He obliged the request. The woman held the ticket until 1992, where she gave it to our consignor, as a gift.

Both the ticket and the autograph were authenticated prior to it being encapsulated by JSA and SGC (independent of each other).

Today, James Spence was at our offices doing an authentication. I had Bill Huggins pull the ticket and show it to him again, for a second opinion, along with the concerns set forth. After a thorough examination with loop and his exemplar file, Jimmy was again 100% certain that his original opinion was correct - this is an authentic Ruth.

We also showed it to SGC's ticket authenticator again, who also was 100% sure of his original opinion of the authenticity of the ticket stub.

I also personally spoke to the consignor again today, just to verify the facts of the story. The consignor is NOT in our hobby and is not a collector of sports memorabilia - just a baseball fan who lived near this lady and prior to her passing, she gave it to him. He has also offered to speak to anyone who would like any more details of the story. If you would like his name and number, email me privately, and I will get you the contact information.

Thanks
Josh Wulkan
Vice President
Huggins and Scott Auctions
1-866-462-2273
josh@hugginsandscott.com
Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 PM

FWIW, I believe the signature is good, as well.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Guys, he's not just handing consignor contact info out willy nilly. As he said, the consignor offered to speak to anyone who wants more details. Whether anyone else thinks opening that door is a bad idea is irrelevent if the consignor made the offer. And I'm sure that Josh has the good sense not to give his info to certain troublemaking bloggers who would misuse the info to hound the consignor to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugginsandscott View Post
I also personally spoke to the consignor again today, just to verify the facts of the story. The consignor is NOT in our hobby and is not a collector of sports memorabilia - just a baseball fan who lived near this lady and prior to her passing, she gave it to him. He has also offered to speak to anyone who would like any more details of the story. If you would like his name and number, email me privately, and I will get you the contact information.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

Just sayin'
then again, maybe he is seeing the light.