NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Clemente collectors at National in Cleveland

Hi Guys,

Howard Chasser here. I wanted to see if any die hard Clemente collectors were planning to go to the national in Cleveland and if there was any interest in meeting up?

-Howard
Old 07-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Rob Anderson

Howard,

I'm not going to the National, but I am trying to acquire a 1998 Topps Chrome Refractor #21 of Clemente. It is one of 5 cards I still need to complete the set. If you have one, or if you find one, I would be happy to pay for it.

Thanks,

Rob A.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:17 AM
Howard Chasser

Default On ebay

Hi Rob,

The card you are looking for is not expensive and I found it with a quick ebay search.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_from=R40&_...All-Categories
Old 07-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Howard Chasser

Default bump

Any Clemente collectors going to the national?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:06 PM
David Buckingham

Default Clemente dealer at National

Not going to National, but I've been several times and remember seeing a dealer that had nothing but Clemente cards and memorabilia for sale. Don't know who it was, but some of you guys who may be dealers or regulars at the National may know him. In fact, it seems like there were maybe two dealers who dealt exclusively with Clemente stuff
Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebuck View Post
Not going to National, but I've been several times and remember seeing a dealer that had nothing but Clemente cards and memorabilia for sale. Don't know who it was, but some of you guys who may be dealers or regulars at the National may know him. In fact, it seems like there were maybe two dealers who dealt exclusively with Clemente stuff
The dealer's name is Paul Kutch and I believe his company is called "Clemente's Corner"...He should be set up at The National (I have seen him at several).
Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Any collectors?

I know the dealers including Paul well. I was hoping to connect with some collectors who I have dialogued with at net 54 and the SCU message boards, but never met.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Hi Howard, not going to make it this year. Hope to make the National next year. Have fun, I had a blast last year. Scott
Old 08-09-2014, 07:53 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Clemente

Any Clemente pickups while you were there?
Old 08-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Howard Chasser

Default The cupboards were bare - almost

With the items on my want list down to the fingers on one hand (plus the possibility of finding something I have never seen before) I go to shows with no expectation of finding items. That said, my expectation was met at this years national.

There were 3 1959 Kahns for sale (all low grade - priced fairly, so I presume they sold), a 1957 Kahn's low grade, a 1965 Macgregor advisory staff card graded 7 by Becket - the guy was asking $3500 for it - telling me the only other one that sold was graded a 4 and sold for $1400 - I didn't even bother continuing the conversation - everyone is entitled to their own reality. A few nice autographed items (The autographed items I have in my collection are about the item (incidentally happen to be autographed)) - so none for me.
Nothing else I can think of that was notable.

I took my 7 year old son to his first national and the time we had exceeded my expectations. 6 hours into the 8 hour drive, I heard the first "are we there yet?" He is a special child and I love him dearly. It was awesome - We got 2 cards made by upper deck - 1 of him and 1 father/son card. He got to hold a 1932 Babe Ruth game used bat. We did some pack ripping. He also was drawn to a 1950's Johnny Antonelli stadium pin which I bought for him - why that one? Time will tell perhaps. A few dealers gave him cards "for free" which he got really excited about. A number of people got a kick out of asking him who his favorite player is and hearing him say "Roberto Clemente". We also found a few additions to the 1952 Pirates set we are working on. All in all a wonderful memory I will treasure the rest of my life. Waiting for my 5 year old to get a little older to do the same with him!
Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
a 1965 Macgregor advisory staff card graded 7 by Becket - the guy was asking $3500 for it - telling me the only other one that sold was graded a 4 and sold for $1400 - I didn't even bother continuing the conversation - everyone is entitled to their own reality.
This one sold in a Goodwin auction for $428.40 in 2012.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Clemente

Howard,

Appreciate you letting us know about your experience at the National. As pretty much a single player collector myself it would be neat to hear if you were able to pick something up of your player and/or see something you've never seen before. As you, I've had plenty of experience with dealers thinking an item is worth "way" more than the going rate or price people are willing to pay. I guess they'll haul the item around and keep it in their inventory. You would figure a person who collects that player exclusively, in your case Clemente, would know what the item is really worth rather than the dealer selling the items; oh, well.

I'm so glad you had the opportunity to take your son to his first National and it exceeded your expectations; can't get any better than that!