NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-26-2022, 10:32 AM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,329
Default

Jesse, the flip is referring to and quoting Rosen's words from the letter he wrote about this very card. It's a nod to the provenance, as opposed to a reference from SGC about the card's grade. Just clarifying.
__________________
instagram: mattyc_collection
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-26-2022, 10:42 AM
Yoda Yoda is offline
Joh.n Spen.cer
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,319
Default

While it was eons ago, I remember well opening multiple packs of the last series '52 Topps, or as many as my meagre allowance at the time would allow, in a vain search for the Mick. My hometown growing up was Schenectady, NY, which seemed to have been blessed with an abundance of the ultimate series due to whatever geographical distribution Topps planned. I found Campy, Pee Wee, Jackie and Eddie without any trouble, but, oh, that Mantle eluded me. I already had the '51 Bowman, which I had found in a pack the prior year when the cards bug infected me (still infected) and knew i had to have the '52 Topps. Despite all the time since then, I have never owned one. Ted, you were one lucky Dude when you grabbed that mystical pack. If it couldn't be me, I am glad it was you. John
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-26-2022, 11:29 AM
tuckr1 tuckr1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 437
Default Amazed

Might be one of the coolest things I have ever read on this site, thanks for sharing Ted


Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
True "Provenance" is when you have pulled a Mantle card from its pack in the Fall of 1952.

That I did, and only paid a penny for it.








TED Z

T206 Reference
.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-26-2022, 12:05 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Jesse, the flip is referring to and quoting Rosen's words from the letter he wrote about this very card. It's a nod to the provenance, as opposed to a reference from SGC about the card's grade. Just clarifying.
Makes sense. Since he did see them all together he would have had the best chance to identify the finest example. Hard to imagine a better looking 52 Mantle. If I hit tonight's mega millions I will be bidding.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-26-2022, 12:34 PM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
While it was eons ago, I remember well opening multiple packs of the last series '52 Topps, or as many as my meagre allowance at the time would allow, in a vain search for the Mick. My hometown growing up was Schenectady, NY, which seemed to have been blessed with an abundance of the ultimate series due to whatever geographical distribution Topps planned. I found Campy, Pee Wee, Jackie and Eddie without any trouble, but, oh, that Mantle eluded me. I already had the '51 Bowman, which I had found in a pack the prior year when the cards bug infected me (still infected) and knew i had to have the '52 Topps. Despite all the time since then, I have never owned one. Ted, you were one lucky Dude when you grabbed that mystical pack. If it couldn't be me, I am glad it was you. John
John, thanks for sharing this insight into what it was like back then. Truly, alongside Ted's experience, one of the coolest perspectives I've absorbed here. Many of us born in the 70s and 80s, who grew up staring at the 52T set in the likes of Beckett and CCP guides, have imagined as boys (and even as men!) opening those packs when they were the current cards out. Amazing.

Best,

MC
__________________
instagram: mattyc_collection
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-26-2022, 02:55 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,257
Default

There appears to be a stain on the top center. Still a sharp card. 9.5....ok
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-26-2022, 05:03 PM
GasHouseGang's Avatar
GasHouseGang GasHouseGang is offline
David M.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S. California
Posts: 2,564
Default

I see what you're talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Mantle SGC 9.5 Discoloration Top Middle.jpg (199.5 KB, 639 views)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-26-2022, 06:02 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I see what you're talking about.
Geez, all of the Mantles cards I've had graded come back with ("MEH") on the label.
__________________
Take a look at my funny Baseball Cards T-Shirts:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320524

Interested in trading? Check out my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-26-2022, 08:44 PM
robw1959 robw1959 is offline
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Shouldnt the yellow staining at the top prevent this from being a 9.5 Mint+? Does SGC normally allow that on Mint+ cards?
I think the "staining" on the first picture is probably some kind of photographic anomaly considering how bright and stain-free that same area appears on the picture to the right of it.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-26-2022, 08:53 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
I think the "staining" on the first picture is probably some kind of photographic anomaly considering how bright and stain-free that same area appears on the picture to the right of it.
It is clearly visible in both pictures on Heritage's sight of the front of the card. This exact issue, some yellow staining at the top of the card, is on some of the other Rosen find cards. Zooming in on each image, it does not appear to be a scanner defect (from Heritage, who often adjusts their scans). Further, it seems incredibly unlikely that Heritage would list a $10mm card that appears it has damage it does not have; if I was the consigner I would be outraged. A preponderance of the evidence available does not suggest to me Heritage's scanner makes cards appear to have stains they don't; though I'm happy to be corrected. Here's a close up, though the ones on Heritage are better as Net54 does not allow decent quality images to be uploaded.

If I submitted a 1952 Dale Coogan in this exact condition and without the backstory and provenance, does anyone honestly think I would get a 9.5?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 19.47.28.jpg (53.6 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 19.47.53.jpg (76.0 KB, 545 views)
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-26-2022, 08:56 PM
Brian Van Horn Brian Van Horn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,314
Default

Just curious-and I am NOT accusing Heritage of this-but is anybody else having Mastro going through their mind on this lot?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-26-2022, 09:17 PM
darwinbulldog's Avatar
darwinbulldog darwinbulldog is offline
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It is clearly visible in both pictures on Heritage's sight of the front of the card. This exact issue, some yellow staining at the top of the card, is on some of the other Rosen find cards. Zooming in on each image, it does not appear to be a scanner defect (from Heritage, who often adjusts their scans). Further, it seems incredibly unlikely that Heritage would list a $10mm card that appears it has damage it does not have; if I was the consigner I would be outraged. A preponderance of the evidence available does not suggest to me Heritage's scanner makes cards appear to have stains they don't; though I'm happy to be corrected. Here's a close up, though the ones on Heritage are better as Net54 does not allow decent quality images to be uploaded.

If I submitted a 1952 Dale Coogan in this exact condition and without the backstory and provenance, does anyone honestly think I would get a 9.5?
With a little luck you could get a PSA 9(ST).
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-26-2022, 09:23 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,719
Default

https://www.gosgc.com/card-grading/submissions

A 7 allows "some print spots or speckling", though stains are never directly stated.

The description for grades above a 7 seem to preclude this sizable area of staining.

I doubt my hypothetical Coogan without hobby flex or a narrative would grade above a 7 on their scale.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-26-2022, 10:15 PM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
J0hn Coll.in$
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,672
Default

While that card is undoubtedly fantastic, my impression was that the color on the Fogel PSA 10 might have been a bit better. I've never seen either card in person, so of course that opinion would be very open to interpretation.
__________________
Vintage stars & HOF'ers. 1967 & '72 Topps sets. Bowman Cubs.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:13 AM
puckpaul puckpaul is offline
P.aul Orl,in
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 386
Default

Definitely curious that SGC was used. I think that is a huge boost to SGC since i cannot recall a top top card like this in an SGC holder. Any others?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:23 AM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,257
Default

It's a great card, but there is toning/staining that just cant be ignored. Someone will buy the flip for the bragging rights.
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:50 AM
mrreality68's Avatar
mrreality68 mrreality68 is online now
Jeffrey Kuhr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
It's a great card, but there is toning/staining that just cant be ignored. Someone will buy the flip for the bragging rights.
Agreed about the stains and agreed this card will be about the bragging rights
__________________
Thanks all

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Kuhr@mac.com

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1921/22 Ruth Throwing Pose "Babe" and George
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1917 Boston Store Babe Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
other Joe Jackson playing day cards
1908 Rose Postcard Ty Cobb
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:55 AM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,478
Default

Since Multiple people are brining up staining... I have one question to them, What grade would you give it?? To me, this card deserves a SGC 9.5.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-27-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-27-2022, 06:28 AM
Lucas00's Avatar
Lucas00 Lucas00 is offline
Lc@s Dwėšę
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 464
Default

Maybe the discoloration/staining is why the card is a 9.5 and not a 10? Just a thought.
I also agree it's a trivial issue and deserves the 9.5.

Last edited by Lucas00; 07-27-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-27-2022, 06:58 AM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
True "Provenance" is when you have pulled a Mantle card from its pack in the Fall of 1952.

That I did, and only paid a penny for it.


.

And then for 70 years successfully kept your mother, girlfriend, wife from throwing it out.

Amazing stuff...seriously. What 95% of collectors day dream about.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-27-2022, 07:34 AM
darwinbulldog's Avatar
darwinbulldog darwinbulldog is offline
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Since Multiple people are brining up staining... I have one question to them, What grade would you give it?? To me, this card deserves a SGC 9.5.
If I had submitted it I would have been hoping for an 8. That's what I would have graded it myself. And a fine looking 8 it would be.

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 07-27-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-27-2022, 07:56 AM
bobbyw8469's Avatar
bobbyw8469 bobbyw8469 is offline
Robert Williams
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 7,988
Default

Dick Towle could have got that stain out. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-27-2022, 08:14 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
J0hn Coll.in$
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Maybe the discoloration/staining is why the card is a 9.5 and not a 10? Just a thought.
I also agree it's a trivial issue and deserves the 9.5.
I would imagine the bias in grading this one was huge, even for SGC. You've got to imagine that a 9.5 from them on any 1950's card is a pretty rare occurrence. Then they have this specimen, with provenance from Mr. Mint saying he thinks it's the best '52 Mantle in the world. So what do you do with that? I'm thinking the conversation between Peter and the boys was something like "Well, we sure can't give it a 10 because that would lead to criticism that we just totally bowed to the letter, etc. etc." If I'm remembering correctly, when PSA handed out their three 10's on the same card, there was no fanfare and press that followed because of an immediate sale.

I'm guessing they first all agreed that it was mint and then said, "eh, give it the 9.5 to make is special but not a 10."
__________________
Vintage stars & HOF'ers. 1967 & '72 Topps sets. Bowman Cubs.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-27-2022, 08:24 AM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is offline
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Maybe the discoloration/staining is why the card is a 9.5 and not a 10? Just a thought.
I also agree it's a trivial issue and deserves the 9.5.
Since SGC has 2 different 10s they could have give it the lower of the 2.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-27-2022, 08:25 AM
jchcollins's Avatar
jchcollins jchcollins is offline
J0hn Coll.in$
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 2,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Since SGC has 2 different 10s they could have give it the lower of the 2.
True. SGC actually has 2 higher grades than the one they gave it.
__________________
Vintage stars & HOF'ers. 1967 & '72 Topps sets. Bowman Cubs.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 07-27-2022, 08:32 AM
Johnny630 Johnny630 is offline
Johnny MaZilli
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,478
Default

The card itself is beautiful, and it's the letter that takes it to the next level!!

Smart Man for not only preserving the card but for preserving the letter by Rosen! That letter will probably put 2 to 5 more million in his pocket.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-27-2022, 09:08 AM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Dick Towle could have got that stain out. Just sayin'.
Ethics aside, who in their right mind would risk any damage to a card like that?
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 07-27-2022, 09:37 AM
darwinbulldog's Avatar
darwinbulldog darwinbulldog is offline
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ethics aside, who in their right mind would risk any damage to a card like that?
Someone who thinks he can quadruple the price of a card already worth millions of dollars for the cost of a procedure that's already been profitably performed on many other cards and is rarely, if ever, detected by TPGs
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 07-27-2022, 09:37 AM
insidethewrapper's Avatar
insidethewrapper insidethewrapper is offline
Mike
member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,201
Default

I thought the grading companies didn't know the submitter when they graded cards. At least that is what they say. Should be objective, they should never know the background of the card, but grade based on looking at it. I know I'm living in a dream world.
__________________
Wanted : Detroit Baseball Cards and Memorabilia ( from 19th Century Detroit Wolverines to Detroit Tigers Ty Cobb to Al Kaline).
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07-27-2022, 09:48 AM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Since Multiple people are brining up staining... I have one question to them, What grade would you give it?? To me, this card deserves a SGC 9.5.
SGCs standards seem to make it a 7 at best.

A card better than mint does not have obvious and significant staining, under any grading companies criteria.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 07-27-2022, 09:52 AM
brian1961 brian1961 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Maybe the discoloration/staining is why the card is a 9.5 and not a 10? Just a thought.
I also agree it's a trivial issue and deserves the 9.5.
That's what I was thinking. This elegant, perfect card is pristine, aside from the tinzie bit of finger oils when it was handled. With a scanner, that would intensify the very, very, very X 10 to the 3rd power stain. In the hand, it would hardly be noticeable.

Some of you are getting extremely snarky and seem to be bent on trying to do some idiotic Native rain dance to diminish the luster of this dream card. Again, Mr. Mint said it was the best. Even if there's really about four of these that would grade pristine, that's not very many, and would classify as RARE.

The card is going to fetch a king's ransom---whether you like it or agree with it or not.

--- Brian Powell

PS---if I was financially that well-fixed, I'd go after it in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-27-2022, 10:15 AM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 10,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I thought the grading companies didn't know the submitter when they graded cards. At least that is what they say. Should be objective, they should never know the background of the card, but grade based on looking at it. I know I'm living in a dream world.
this is true...and obviously shows there is NO anonymity with some cards.

In this instance the provenance is important...although it does create a double standard.

It's an incredible card regardless of the grade...which is just an opinion, right?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-27-2022, 10:17 AM
MattyC's Avatar
MattyC MattyC is offline
Matt
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Berlin
Posts: 2,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Since Multiple people are brining up staining... I have one question to them, What grade would you give it?? To me, this card deserves a SGC 9.5.
I could not agree more. To my eyes, this card is one of the prettiest 311s I have ever seen, with the toning in that top border or not. I see this as a case of the card meriting the grade and not someone merely buying a flip. I think if someone is paying attention to the flip on this one, they are focusing their eyes on the wrong thing. It's a beautiful card IMO.

Also, in my experience, a flaw like the one that has been pointed out— such things seem glaring when enlarged in a scan, yet in hand, in real, daily life, they are not bothersome, at least to me. I've been on the fence about cards from something I became fixated on in a scan, and then when I received the card in hand, I was happily impressed by how what I thought could have been an issue for me was no issue at all. In short, scans and enlargements can often be distorting/misleading. My hunch is that is the case with this beauty and that in hand it would not disappoint.

In sum, I just cannot hate on this card. As a huge proponent of "buy the card" and someone who has never needed high grade to be totally satisfied, if I had the means I would buy this one in a heartbeat and love looking at it in hand every day til I croaked.
__________________
instagram: mattyc_collection

Last edited by MattyC; 07-27-2022 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-27-2022, 10:31 AM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Some of you are getting extremely snarky and seem to be bent on trying to do some idiotic Native rain dance to diminish the luster of this dream card. Again, Mr. Mint said it was the best.
Yes, we should ignore the blatant evidence of our eyes because Mr. Mint gave a quote on a card he was selling for big money. To see the damage that does not seem, by SGC's scale, to be allowable on that grade is to be bent on performing an idiotic rain dance to diminish the luster of this card.

I get there are entrenched narratives, but being able to see is not idiotic. Denying the blatant evidence of one's eyes is idiotic.

We all know my hypothetical Coogan with the same staining would not get a 9.5.

That it will sell for a record price and is a great card does not change this.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 07-27-2022, 11:47 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 11,246
Default

That's an amazing story, Ted, but wasn't it kind of awkward buying baseball cards in 1952 at age 73? Did you lie and say it was for your grandson?

I kid you, my friend. I realize you were only 58 at the time.

Does the excitement and (potential) record price of this card have an effect on lesser examples? If the 9.5 goes for $10 million, is a 1 then worth 1% of that? Discuss.
__________________
At ten all I thought about was card collecting. At twenty all I thought about was women. At thirty all I thought about was success. At forty all I thought about was money. Now all I think about is retirement...because all I want to think about is card collecting!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 07-27-2022, 12:09 PM
brian1961 brian1961 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Yes, we should ignore the blatant evidence of our eyes because Mr. Mint gave a quote on a card he was selling for big money. To see the damage that does not seem, by SGC's scale, to be allowable on that grade is to be bent on performing an idiotic rain dance to diminish the luster of this card.

I get there are entrenched narratives, but being able to see is not idiotic. Denying the blatant evidence of one's eyes is idiotic.

We all know my hypothetical Coogan with the same staining would not get a 9.5.

That it will sell for a record price and is a great card does not change this.
Greg, I do not deny there is slight staining, presumably from fingertip oils. Said oils are assuredly there, but your wording makes it sound as if it has ruined a once-pristine card. This blatant evidence assessment was what I believe is idiotic.

I just believe if this card is taken to the National, and is scrutinized by all the peons like me, they will see that it is NOT that noticeable. Good scanners throw a proverbial spotlight on the subject, and as I maintain, intensify anything that would de-grade a card from a 10. If it turns out the card at close range is as bad as the scan, then I am wrong.

I am certain when Alan Rosen wrote his letter of provenance and asserted this example was the best Mantle from his find, it was. Regardless, it seems some of us are being too quick to pronounce harsh judgement on this regal condition rarity. The National is coming up; hopefully, it will be there. If I could go, I would love to see it in person; that experience alone would be worth going to and paying to see.

--- Brian Powell
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 07-27-2022, 12:42 PM
glynparson's Avatar
glynparson glynparson is offline
Glyn Parson
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Blandon PA
Posts: 2,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I thought the grading companies didn't know the submitter when they graded cards. At least that is what they say. Should be objective, they should never know the background of the card, but grade based on looking at it. I know I'm living in a dream world.
The grading company has to know who submitted the card or how the f would they return it to the submitter. What stupidity. The person typing it in the system isnt the grader. So It could easily still be anonymous. FFs I swear some people here have been beaten by the idiot stick. .
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 07-27-2022, 01:25 PM
G1911 G1911 is offline
Gr.eg McCl.@y
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Greg, I do not deny there is slight staining, presumably from fingertip oils. Said oils are assuredly there, but your wording makes it sound as if it has ruined a once-pristine card. This blatant evidence assessment was what I believe is idiotic.
Where did somebody say the card is ruined? Where did somebody say this card is anything but great? Where was it implied the card is 'ruined'? Nobody said this. All that was said is that the card has damage that clearly precludes it from a 9.5 on their scale. I get that it is easier to call something other than what was actually said idiotic, but that is itself idiotic to do. Making things up to argue against is not rational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
I just believe if this card is taken to the National, and is scrutinized by all the peons like me, they will see that it is NOT that noticeable. Good scanners throw a proverbial spotlight on the subject, and as I maintain, intensify anything that would de-grade a card from a 10. If it turns out the card at close range is as bad as the scan, then I am wrong.
Heritage has a long history of doing the opposite, actually. Assuming that it will look better in hand is an assumption of faith and, frankly, irrelevant to grading. Let's just assume it anyways. It's still not a 9.5. Isn't the whole point of grading to grade the actual condition and not eye appeal? That's why a spider wrinkle nobody can see takes a 7 to a 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
I am certain when Alan Rosen wrote his letter of provenance and asserted this example was the best Mantle from his find, it was.
We will assume his judgement is correct and that Rosen was an honest man. This is, as you surely know, utterly irrelevant even after this very generous assumption though. Rosen's opinion that it was the nicest does not make it a 9.5. The best example of a card does not make it a 10 or a 9.5 or a 9. A card does not become a 9.5 because the seller thinks it looks nicer than others; it is supposed to meet the criteria. Again, we all know me submitting a random Dale Coogan like this would not get a 9.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Regardless, it seems some of us are being too quick to pronounce harsh judgement on this regal condition rarity. The National is coming up; hopefully, it will be there. If I could go, I would love to see it in person; that experience alone would be worth going to and paying to see.
What does speed have to do with it? The card either does or does not have the damage. The damage either is or is not consistent with a 9.5. It takes a few seconds to observe this. I must wait until the auction is over and the hype train wrapped up before observing a fact, if it may be observed at all?





I gather many here are very emotionally invested in this card and the Mickey Mantle hype train in general. Relax, your investments aren't going to be hurt because people can see the blatant staining all over the top of this example. Mantle's will keep going up, most will pretend this 9.5 is an actual 9.5 and it will set a record price, and then we can jump back on our sanctimonious high horses to rail at the corruption and errors that are unpopular and ignoring the corruption and errors that are popular while getting upset when they are observed, just like always.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 07-27-2022, 01:53 PM
Lorewalker's Avatar
Lorewalker Lorewalker is offline
Chase
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

If I submitted a 1952 Dale Coogan in this exact condition and without the backstory and provenance, does anyone honestly think I would get a 9.5?
Valid point as always, Greg. Agree completely and no you would not get the 9.5 on the Coogan. The Mantle is stunning but it appears in the scan to have a flaw that suggests it is over graded.

I am not shocked by the grade in the environment that we are in on a card of this stature. Sadly grading companies have a lot to gain by over grading this one and we have seen it routinely on T206 Wagners that are assessed at grades higher than a common from the same set would have gotten in similar condition.

While the discoloration to me is minor, in the scan, I think the more appropriate grade is NM-MT and in technical terms that could even be over graded. We all see much less valuable cards that have eye appeal that is 2 to 3 grades higher than the assigned grade. As a TPG, you have abrogated your responsibility once you stray from your own grading standards. That SGC would do that now comes as no shock given PSA's continued dominance in the TPG realm.

Anyway, matters not what we think. The card will break records and the owner will be ecstatic with their new purchase. Within 6 hours of the close of the auction will we see their fb, ig and twitter posts. Just hope they are wearing one of those super cool t-shirts and matching ball cap!

Over Under on the buyer's age: 39
__________________
( h @ $ e A n + l e y

Last edited by Lorewalker; 07-27-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07-27-2022, 02:00 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,669
Default

I wonder why PSA, when it went to half grades, did not include a 9.5?
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 07-27-2022, 04:02 PM
darwinbulldog's Avatar
darwinbulldog darwinbulldog is offline
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Over Under on the buyer's age: 39
Probably about right, but I'll take the over.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 07-27-2022, 04:17 PM
Tomi Tomi is offline
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I wonder why PSA, when it went to half grades, did not include a 9.5?
Because they could wait years and say OK now we will grade a 9.5 and people will send in 9's in record numbers. Easy money. Not saying it will happen, but don't be surprised if it does.

Last edited by Tomi; 07-27-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:21 PM
cannonballsun cannonballsun is offline
Wayne V
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nola
Posts: 246
Default Highest priced card -T206 Wagner SGC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
Definitely curious that SGC was used. I think that is a huge boost to SGC since i cannot recall a top top card like this in an SGC holder. Any others?
SGC already has the highest priced card ever sold, the SGC 3 T206 Wagner that sold last year in REA.
With this card, SGC will have the two highest ever. Take that, PSA.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:45 PM
cannonballsun cannonballsun is offline
Wayne V
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nola
Posts: 246
Default 6.6 million

Here's the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2022-07-27-18-36-57-1.jpg (114.7 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg item_86408_2_202020.jpg (196.9 KB, 422 views)
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 07-27-2022, 06:03 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
SGC already has the highest priced card ever sold, the SGC 3 T206 Wagner that sold last year in REA.
With this card, SGC will have the two highest ever. Take that, PSA.
Yes but it won't change the fact that 90 percent of cards in SGC holders will sell for less, and frequently much less, than the equivalent PSA.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-27-2022, 06:15 PM
Jewish-collector's Avatar
Jewish-collector Jewish-collector is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default

My guess is that this guy might want it for display in New York:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Cohen_(businessman)
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 07-27-2022, 06:26 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
My guess is that this guy might want it for display in New York:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Cohen_(businessman)
He is a part owner of PSA though.
__________________
My avatar is a sketch by my son who is an art school graduate. Some of his sketches and paintings are at
https://www.jamesspaethartwork.com/

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 07-27-2022, 07:38 PM
slightlyrounded slightlyrounded is offline
Aaron
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He is a part owner of PSA though.
pretty good way to hedge ones business!
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 07-27-2022, 07:39 PM
ruth-gehrig ruth-gehrig is offline
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,781
Default

In Rosen's letter he says this back is perfectly centered

His statement that the front is perfectly centered side to side and top to bottom appears to be more accurate and perhaps it's the scan but is anyone else seeing the slightest diamond cut? To me looks like top left border is larger than top right and bottom left is smaller than bottom right. Very small difference. Maybe someone could enlarge this image and measure it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf.jpeg-3.jpg (68.8 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg lf.jpeg-4.jpg (68.5 KB, 373 views)
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 07-27-2022, 07:47 PM
Tomi Tomi is offline
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
In Rosen's letter he says this back is perfectly centered

His statement that the front is perfectly centered side to side and top to bottom appears to be more accurate and perhaps it's the scan but is anyone else seeing the slightest diamond cut? To me looks like top left border is larger than top right and bottom left is smaller than bottom right. Very small difference. Maybe someone could enlarge this image and measure it out.
This is from the PSA forum thread.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Incredible Piece of History Being Auctioned by Heritage barrysloate WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics 39 08-22-2018 01:36 PM
$250k Mantle stash from National being auctioned by Lelands trdcrdkid Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 2 10-07-2017 08:45 PM
Al Rosen's 52 Mantle story(PSA 8) by Heritage pawpawdiv9 Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 20 08-05-2014 04:25 AM
Counterfeit Mantle card being auctioned as PSA 5 betafolio2 Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 53 05-26-2014 01:52 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.


ebay GSB