NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 AM
M!ke S@il£r

I admire anyone that can stick with collecting the same set for years. I am personally 0-12 in trying to complete a vintage set. I generally get a 15-20 cards into it before I find greener pastures.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecpa View Post
I admire anyone that can stick with collecting the same set for years. I am personally 0-12 in trying to complete a vintage set. I generally get a 15-20 cards into it before I find greener pastures.
Same here. My hats off to those who stick with building a set but I am so impatient at times that I find it is easier for me to stick to collecting some favorite players and other stars of the 1960's (the era I enjoy collecting most).

With all that being said, I did put together two vintage football card sets from the 1960's but had a lot of help to start one of them.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Default The Thrill of the Hunt

I'm a singles guy. I love the thrill of the hunt. I have put my E98 set together 1 card at a time and it is almost done. It is such a rush when I get a new card for my set!

Of course, I have no choice but to build my sets 1 card at a time! I would never be able to affordall the cards at one time!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
H@nk Smolen

I usually have 3 or 4 sets going at any one time, and buy in small lots or singles for budget reasons....when the budget is tighter i work on my raw cheaper sets... when budget is a little stronger i go back to a graded set

right now focus is on
1974 topps in PSA 9 (about 91% complete)
R312 SGC 20-50 range (about 52% complete some raw)
T205 in SGC 20 or so (12%,just starting with HOF for now)
1948 bowman in PSA 4 better (33% now)
1989 topps in PSA 10 (AT 80% or so)
2004 SPX in PSA (also at about 80%)

when i get a little bored with one i move back to another, or if there is not much out there i look at something else.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I prefer knocking off a big chunk of a set at one time, preferably for cheap, then filling in the rest. I rarely collect sets, though. I just don't care to spend money on commons. Exhibits are my only set-making endeavors in baseball cards. I finished the Salutations last year and need about half a dozen to do the PC back set.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kindler View Post
I'm a singles guy. I love the thrill of the hunt. I have put my E98 set together 1 card at a time and it is almost done. It is such a rush when I get a new card for my set!

Of course, I have no choice but to build my sets 1 card at a time! I would never be able to affordall the cards at one time!!!
Generally I'm exactly the same, Tim. Though I've found that small groups of cards go a long way to help the journey go by faster (and more affordably) the level of appreciation for the individual cards gets lost when they all come in together.

The same thing happened for me when I was collecting multiple things (e.g. T207, E-cards, Pirates), even with only one card at a time. I needed a singular focus to keep the appreciation and interest.

-- Mike

Last edited by frohme; 01-07-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

I collect my favorite cards from many sets, working my way down to lower-priced cards until there's nothing else that interests me in the set. Some sets only have a few cards that interest me, like E90-1, while T206 and OJ have a lot. I can't imagine trying to complete a complete set of anything, other than something small like E95/E96.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Brad

Default From the mouths of babes

This past summer I took my 7-year-old son to his first card show. It was amazing and the dealers treated him great. He was fascinated by the early 70s basketball cards because of the big hair and great uniforms.

He used his money (with some help from his Dad) to purchase about a dozen 1971-72 Topps basketball. We've since gone to a couple more shows and for Christmas I bought him a nice lot of 30 cards from the set, mid-grade, mixed with stars and commons.

We are going to a show today and he asked me how I do my sets. I told him that I've done it both ways over the years, but with some of my expensive sets I have no choice but to do it piece by piece.

He said he wants to finish his set a few cards at a time because, "I can't wait to go to the next card show with you and find a few more cards for my set."

Made me realize that for him it's the process, but that the time we share is the most important part.

BTW - he refers to the 71-72s as the "George Peeples" set because that's the first card he bought. Crazy kid.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
This past summer I took my 7-year-old son to his first card show. It was amazing and the dealers treated him great. He was fascinated by the early 70s basketball cards because of the big hair and great uniforms.

He used his money (with some help from his Dad) to purchase about a dozen 1971-72 Topps basketball. We've since gone to a couple more shows and for Christmas I bought him a nice lot of 30 cards from the set, mid-grade, mixed with stars and commons.

We are going to a show today and he asked me how I do my sets. I told him that I've done it both ways over the years, but with some of my expensive sets I have no choice but to do it piece by piece.

He said he wants to finish his set a few cards at a time because, "I can't wait to go to the next card show with you and find a few more cards for my set."

Made me realize that for him it's the process, but that the time we share is the most important part.

BTW - he refers to the 71-72s as the "George Peeples" set because that's the first card he bought. Crazy kid.

Congratulations, you are very lucky......I hope you can continue to nuture that common interest as he grows older.