NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2021, 07:12 AM
James
James Kin.chen

Default PSA 9 52 Topps Mantle sells for $5.2M

I just saw this on another forum. I believe this is the same card that Evan Mathis sold a couple years ago.

https://sports.yahoo.com/this-1952-m...130140720.html
Old 01-14-2021, 07:17 AM
pete ullman

So a 10 might sell for...WHAT?????
Old 01-14-2021, 07:21 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Wasn't Evan accused of trimming?
Old 01-14-2021, 07:24 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

hmmm...not loving the pedigree,,,
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:28 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Wasn't Evan accused of trimming?
absolutely...I think someone posted an ebay purchase of his for a paper trimmer.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:55 AM
je.sse @rnot

This card has been discussed in other threads and it is well known that Evan bought and sold that card in a 9 holder.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:00 AM
T0m P00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
So a 10 might sell for...WHAT?????

via GIPHY

Old 01-14-2021, 09:49 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
This card has been discussed in other threads and it is well known that Evan bought and sold that card in a 9 holder.
+1
311-407 PSA 6
Old 01-14-2021, 10:14 AM
James M.

Quote:
If you wouldn't mind linking some of the old threads I would love to take a look.

Also this is absurd price. I fully understand that if you can drop 5.2 Million on a card you can afford probably anything, and don't care about overpaying but that price is staggering. Granted it would be in a lesser grade, but You could buy a signed version of the 52 Topps for less.

Hell if we restricting ourselves to just baseball cards/memrobillia I'm pretty sure you could buy game used uniforms of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle and Joe Dimaggio and you would still be at a lower combined price than what this guy paid for this Mantle, which very well could have been trimmed.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:19 AM
James

It is a Mantle, and Mantle fans based on my reading "The Last Boy" by Jane Leavy will do what it takes to keep him at the top. I completely respect that.

"The 1952 Topps Mantle is the holy grail of sports cards," Gough said. "As a kid ripping packs in the '90s, I always dreamt of owning one. ... I felt this Mantle was highly underpriced."

I completely get it, as I have game programs from 1956 World Series that I just touch and feel like I am in the presence of him, Jackie Robinson, etc. The aura is real, it was the golden age, and the perception of Mantle will never change. I am glad this overtook Trout.

Now if we can just get T206 Honus Wagner back to the top. I am pretty sure this guy is after one of these, based on his recent purchases.

Props to him as well, as we are both native Indianapolis guys!! I am putting together my measly collection now........just added a nice Joss portrait to sit next to my Young portrait.

Last edited by jamest206; 01-14-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:47 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

So, Evan sold this same card back in 2018 for 2.9 million US and within three years it has almost doubled in value, is that correct? If I was Evan, I would feel like crap right now.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:55 AM
D@le Irv*n

Not surprised to see this at all. Considering it is the highest sought after card in the hobby and considering the grade of this copy, I don't see how this is out of the realms of possibility?

Look what some non sport cards like Pokémon's and others go for. Yes, it is shocking and surprising, but considering the year we just came out of, Imo, this really shouldn't be surprising to anyone.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:46 AM
Matt

Before people on the internet start taking snarky pot shots at some guy's five-plus million dollar purchase, it is well known the card in question was sold in the same grade in which it was originally acquired. In other words, Evan Mathis did not alter or bump this card. There are certainly high dollar trimmed cards out there (one I suspect to be trimmed at auction right now, but because I don't have ironclad proof I won't slander it) but not this one.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-14-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:34 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

WOW! I know a man (not very well) who has a PSA 9. He has his and three of his childhood friends' collections. When they started chasing girls he traded things for their boxes of cards.

He had four 52 Mantle's and they were all ungraded. About 10 years ago he met a dealer who said his four cards would grade about 6-7's. He traded two of them for the PSA 9 the dealer had which is his only graded card.

I spoke to him a month ago and he was surprised to hear about the boom in cards as he doesn't collect anymore and has most of them in a safety deposit box to save for his son.

My thoughts seeing this: I bet that dealer regrets that trade and I need to get in touch with this guy and let him know what this just sold for!

Edited to add: I did not personally see the card as he said it was in a bank vault. I did see photos on his phone of a huge gun like safe filled with boxes and boxes of 50’s cards. The stars were simply in top loaders. He had multiples of all of them. I have no reason to doubt him. I will find out!

Last edited by campyfan39; 01-14-2021 at 01:14 PM. Reason: More info
Old 01-14-2021, 12:55 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

1 investor or multiple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2021, 01:18 PM
Jason Wells

That's a "money means nothing to me purchase" for sure. The cost to that collector was inconsequential. 2 million, 5 million, 10 million no difference. And he thinks he got a steal so more power to him!
Old 01-14-2021, 01:34 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
If you wouldn't mind linking some of the old threads I would love to take a look.

Also this is absurd price. I fully understand that if you can drop 5.2 Million on a card you can afford probably anything, and don't care about overpaying but that price is staggering. Granted it would be in a lesser grade, but You could buy a signed version of the 52 Topps for less.

Hell if we restricting ourselves to just baseball cards/memrobillia I'm pretty sure you could buy game used uniforms of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle and Joe Dimaggio and you would still be at a lower combined price than what this guy paid for this Mantle, which very well could have been trimmed.
I dont have links but several board members know who sold this card to Evan. There is no question about it's authenticity. It was a steal in 2018 at 3M, and it was today at 5.2. The market has changed.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:49 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Makes me wonder what a 1914 Baltimore News Ruth would bring with this current market? I don't think there's been any public sales in quite some time. I heard one person owns a number of them despite it's very low total pop.

IMO, this should be the most valuable card in existence. It's just so rare and being hoarded. Who knows when or if an example may surface?

Last edited by yanksfan09; 01-14-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:

I'd sell any of you my whole collection for just a little less. And I promise I haven't trimmed anything either.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:34 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

A legendary card deserves a legendary price. Kudos to the guy who could get it. I would too if I could.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:10 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
So, Evan sold this same card back in 2018 for 2.9 million US and within three years it has almost doubled in value, is that correct? If I was Evan, I would feel like crap right now.
I think it really depends on how Evan used the proceeds. If I remember correctly, I thought he was willing to be paid in bitcoin for that sale, so if he did invest in bitcoin back then, he'd be laughing all the way to the bank, even given the appreciation for this card.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Makes me wonder what a 1914 Baltimore News Ruth would bring with this current market? I don't think there's been any public sales in quite some time. I heard one person owns a number of them despite it's very low total pop.

IMO, this should be the most valuable card in existence. It's just so rare and being hoarded. Who knows when or if an example may surface?
I would agree. The rookie card from the most legendary player in history that is also an extreme rarity. The sky would be the limit.
Poor, Honus though. All my life, the T206 Wagner was THE holy grail in our hobby. I am talking 50 years here. (of my life). It feels weird for another card to hold the top spot.

Last edited by One 'ol Cat; 01-14-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Also this is absurd price.
I completely disagree. You will never lose money buying a card of this caliber. Never. There is always at least one person who will want the best of the best.

Regarding the T206 Wagner comment, if the Gretzky Wagner (the hand cut card that PSA graded an 8 "never get cheated"), ever went to auction, it would crush $6mm. I put the over/under at $20mm, and the next time it sold, it would be double that.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 01-14-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I completely disagree. You will never lose money buying a card of this caliber. Never. There is always at least one person who will want the best of the best.

Regarding the T206 Wagner comment, if the Gretzky Rookie (the hand cut card that PSA graded an 8 "never get cheated"), ever went to auction, it would crush $6mm. I put the over/under at $20mm, and the next time it sold, it would be double that.
I would take the over. That Wagner will always be the most valuable card. The Baltimore News is the only card that could catch it and it would take a similar high grade example that may not exist.

As for the 52 Topps Mantle, at least 2 of the 3 10s are being held by deep pockets. The 9 is realistically the best one available to new collectors/ investors. That will continue to drive the price on a 9 higher.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:40 PM
mark sanders

Default "the most legendary player in history"

um... i don't ever remember yankee stadium being called "the house that mantle built."
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 01-14-2021, 05:40 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default I Agree with Rhotchkiss

I've seen the scenario play out over and over again and not just with baseball cards. Invest in the best within your budget. I've often seen 1952 Topps baseball cards I need that I could buy in a PSA 3, 4 or 5. I don't do it just to complete my set (fill the hole syndrome). I hold out for the PSA 6 or 7 (my financial limit). Which means I need patience and the willingness to pull the trigger when the card becomes available, even if the cost goes beyond my planned budget (within reason). For me that means knowing what PSA 6s and 7s have gone for in recent months. I do my homework by studying past transactions. I'm blessed to be in the position to do this, I know. No one can deny that this market is hot and I don't believe it's a bubble. Time will tell.
Peace.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:55 PM
James M.

Quote:

Regarding the T206 Wagner comment, if the Gretzky Rookie (the hand cut card that PSA graded an 8 "never get cheated"), ever went to auction, it would crush $6mm. I put the over/under at $20mm, and the next time it sold, it would be double that.
I should clarify my statement, absurd might have been a poor choice of words on my part. I said it because I don't think I'll make 5.2 Million Dollars in my lifetime, let alone be comfortable with spending that much money on a card. Unless of course I hit Powerball.

I 100% agree, I don't think the price will ever go down. It's a little shocking to me though. And I agree there's always a person that will want this card.

Donscards.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:02 PM
pete ullman

On the other hand...the autographed griffey jr rookie...ABSURD!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
100% agree Pete. And there are many other adjectives I could use. I pity the fool who bought the Griffey
Old 01-14-2021, 06:14 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhotchkiss View Post
100% agree pete. And there are many other adjectives i could use. I pity the fool who bought the griffey
haha!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.14.20 PM.jpg (13.1 KB, 857 views)
Old 01-14-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando69 View Post
um... i don't ever remember yankee stadium being called "the house that mantle built."

...I was referring to the 1914 Ruth. ...
Old 01-14-2021, 07:00 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
100% agree Pete. And there are many other adjectives I could use. I pity the fool who bought the Griffey
If there actually is such a fool...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-14-2021, 07:06 PM
mark sanders

Default as emily litella would say...

"oh, that's very different... never mind."
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 01-14-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando69 View Post
"oh, that's very different... never mind."
Lol.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Yea I didn't get that one either. I'm sure he doesn't need the money, but let's say Griffey bought 30 psa 10s for 2k each and took them to psa, had them cracked out, signed, and regraded. 25 now got the 10/10 grade. $1M+ profit isn't bad for an afternoon, even for him.

Or if he signs at a national or big show collectors can do the same thing.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:12 AM
A@ron V@!llan©️our⍑

Quote:
Yea I didn't get that one either. I'm sure he doesn't need the money, but let's say Griffey bought 30 psa 10s for 2k each and took them to psa, had them cracked out, signed, and regraded. 25 now got the 10/10 grade. $1M+ profit isn't bad for an afternoon, even for him.

Or if he signs at a national or big show collectors can do the same thing.
Only problem with your plan: if you crack and resubmit 30 psa 10 Griffey’s, only a very few will gem again. Thus is the inanity of grading.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:22 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Not EVEN a true Rookie Card. I wouldn't waste my time.

As luck (and reality) would have it, my finances preclude the possibility of such a purchase, so I can rag on it with conviction.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-15-2021, 06:33 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

As luck (and reality) would have it, my finances preclude the possibility of such a purchase, so I can rag on it with conviction.

I hope you win the lottery, that'll teach you to run your mouth...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-15-2021, 07:22 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

I mean, If I had the Money I'd buy it. It's an iconic card of the Hobby. Sure it's not his true rookie, but the 52 Topps set is beautiful, combined with the lore of the card and the fact that it is a Mantle. I outlined how I felt above, I simply think the price is absurd because I can't even comprehend 5.2 Million Dollars, because that's probably more than I'll make in my entire life.

That being said, if I was an eccentric Billionaire you bet everything in the world, that my PC would be insane.

Donscards.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I mean, If I had the Money I'd buy it. It's an iconic card of the Hobby. Sure it's not his true rookie, but the 52 Topps set is beautiful, combined with the lore of the card and the fact that it is a Mantle. I outlined how I felt above, I simply think the price is absurd because I can't even comprehend 5.2 Million Dollars, because that's probably more than I'll make in my entire life.

That being said, if I was an eccentric Billionaire you bet everything in the world, that my PC would be insane.
In my opinion the 1952 Topps set is not beautiful and the Mantle is the ugliest card ever made. Who uses a yellow painted bat? The only reason the card has value is because Topps printed so few high numbers. Put it in a low series and it is no different than the 1953 Topps Mantle or any of his other Topps cards.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:59 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
In my opinion the 1952 Topps set is not beautiful and the Mantle is the ugliest card ever made. Who uses a yellow painted bat? The only reason the card has value is because Topps printed so few high numbers. Put it in a low series and it is no different than the 1953 Topps Mantle or any of his other Topps cards.
Difference of opinion. I love the way it looks, I think it's beautiful. I know why it has value between Mantle, the fact it's a high number and the fact that half of them were apparently dumped into the Ocean. I always spend time admiring The small amount of 52 Topps in my collection, as I really like the art.

I do think 53 is the nicer set overall. The early 50s bowman sets too, are rally enjoyable to me as well.

Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 01-15-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:12 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyrounded View Post
Only problem with your plan: if you crack and resubmit 30 psa 10 Griffey’s, only a very few will gem again. Thus is the inanity of grading.
Well not exactly a plan, but that's why I'd want to do it where he's signing and they have onsite grading. But I just done get how a 10 sig adds $50k value to a $2k card when the player is still alive and signing. How many more of these could be created later?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:28 AM

All things being equal, no one else thought the card was worth 5.2 million or someone would have out bid the buyer. I don't know that I necessarily agree the card can't lose value. The 52 Mantle being something only whales can afford in even authentic grades is a very new phenomenon.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:33 AM

The high price for this Mantle gives me reason to believe many other cards will/are also on their way up in price. As crazy as it is, this is a good thing is it not. Pretty sure we all like to have our cards appreciate. The downside is now I can't really afford what I used to collect. So I just sit tight with what I have, pick up an occasional nice card, and thank goodness I did buy what I have years ago.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:07 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Is it out of the realm of possibilities that this was a staged event? That's the pessimist in me that just asked that
Old 01-15-2021, 11:11 AM

The problem with this card is that it has two lives. There is the public life among outsiders who view this card as an iconic "grail" (which is a status I don't think many advanced collectors would agree with) and then there is the collector view who still see the card as iconic but also vastly over priced.

As Mantle-age fans exit the hobby there may be a reckoning ahead for the 52 Mantle.

If I didn't already have one I'd start making plans to buy the 51 Bowman instead. It is Mantle's actual rookie card and in my opinion a far superior image. The value seems stable as well or perhaps even primed to rise being it's an actual rookie card.

Last edited by packs; 01-15-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:29 AM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The problem with this card is that it has two lives. There is the public life among outsiders who view this card as an iconic "grail" (which is a status I don't think many advanced collectors would agree with) and then there is the collector view who still see the card as iconic but also vastly over priced.

As Mantle-age fans exit the hobby there may be a reckoning ahead for the 52 Mantle.

If I didn't already have one I'd start making plans to buy the 51 Bowman instead. It is Mantle's actual rookie card and in my opinion a far superior image. The value seems stable as well or perhaps even primed to rise being it's an actual rookie card.
What age would that be? If you were a kid and watched Mantles peak you are likely dead or in a nursing home.

The guy who bought this 9 surely never saw him play...I never saw him play yet it's my grail card.

I think it will forever be hobby iconic.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2021, 11:37 AM

The guy who bought the card strikes me as the kind of guy who buys anything that's expensive to say he bought it. The hobby is not ripe with people like that.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:39 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post

I don't own but but I would consider it a grail card. Not a grail in terms of scarcity but in terms of demand. Considering how many there are (in all grades) I do feel it is overpriced but apparently not as it continues to go up at every grade. Quite confident most of the collectors/investors buying them the last 5 years likely never saw him take an at bat.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:46 AM

But are they also collectors? The PSA 9 is going to have a small audience any time it comes up for sale. The guy who bought this card only came into cards in 2015 after he got rich. And he's only bought insanely expensive cards according to the articles I've read (PSA 10 Jordans, etc.).

I don't think you can discount the affect being a kid who loved Mantle has on the hobby. Mantle-mania will either be passed down or passed over. It's too soon to tell. And as more collections are made available by family members who inhereit them, the market is no doubt due to be flooded in time with a lot of cards that have been tucked away otherwise.

Last edited by packs; 01-15-2021 at 12:01 PM.