NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Default Kentucky Baseball Help (ever so slightly O/T)

I was wondering if the board members here could help me out with choosing some interesting baseball players who either was born in Kentucky or played in Kentucky. It doesn't have to be super-star players, what I'm interested in is good stories with interesting hooks.

These are some of the guys I have so far:

Honus Wagner - played with Louisville
Earle Combs - born in KY and got his start with Lexington (with Happy Chandler)
Happy Chandler - played minor league ball in Lexington
Pee Wee Reese - Louisville native and started with the Colonels
Humpty Badel - actual hump-back who almost made it to the majors
Fred Toney - pitched a 17 inning no hitter for Winchester, KY
Jim Bunning - perfect game pitcher and senator
Mickey Stubblefield - Negro League player and 1st to integrate the KITTY League
Casey Stengel - got his pro start with Shelbyville/Maysville
Sammy T. Hughes - Louisville native and Negro League star of the 1930's

that's a few of the guys I have so far, but was hoping some of the Net54ers could suggest some I haven't thought of. I'm particularly lacking in pre-1880's players but any pre-1955 player with a great story is possible. Baseball in Louisville is very well documented so any other region would help immensely...
Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 PM
JeR@Me

Default Ky players...

Gary - As far as players, interesting research, and loads of fun you can't beat a good T210 Series 6 Blue Grass League player! I think there is somewhere around 70 or so of them in the series 6 and there are a few board members who have put the subset together. The research can be a little challenging but worth it, especially if you get into local papers in those towns of Winchester, Shelbyville, Frankfort, Maysville, Paris, Lexington, and Richmond. All of those minor leaguer's have stories just waiting to be told. If you like mainstream then this set is not for you, but the poses and players are interesting. Good Luck !

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 06-08-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Pete Browning comes to mind both as a great hitter and a strange character.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Travis Wise

Default Clint Thomas

Gary,

Clint Thomas was born in Greenup, Kentucky. He was an early Cuban and Negro League star. He played a big role on three consecutive Eastern Colored League Championships and then again in the 1925 Negro League World Series as a member of the Hilldale team.

Travis
Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Tom Boblitt

Paul Derringer for the 1930's Cincinnati Reds from Springfield KY
Early 1970's Louisville Colonels included Dwight Evans, Cecil Cooper and Carlton Fisk
Joe McCarthy played for the Colonels

Last edited by autograf; 06-08-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Thanks to everyone who took the time to throw in names so far! Joe McCarthy is definately a guy I'd like to cover as is Paul Derringer, his wins and loss record is staggering. Another guy from the 1939-40 Reds is Junior Thompson who played with Paducah in 1936. I have to do a story and illustration on him simply because the uniforms the Paducah Indians wore that year - they have a giant swastika on the chest (Indian good luck symbol), but boy, in 1936?). The team finished first but Thompson and most of the players refused to play in the 4-team playoffs because they never received their paychecks. Never thought of Clint Thomas, that a good one as is Pete Browning, I think they're all in.

I've been looking at the T210's for inspiration, I really like that set more and more. The poses are really attractive and I like cards of small minor leagues. I'll look at an interesting photo on one and then research that player to see what I come up with, it's time consuming but hey, it keeps me off the streets at night!