NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-2024, 02:29 PM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,945
Default Memory Lane Gehrig expectation vs reality

I won this 33 Goudey Gehrig from Memory Lane last month. To say the card was misrepresented would be an understatement. Here's a couple of side-by-sides showing the auction photos vs how they look in hand. And yes, I fully realize that it was in a PSA 1 holder. But the problem nowadays is that PSA's grading is all over the place, and they regularly put VG cards into PSA 1 holders, and this is a brand new cert number, graded within the past few months. So there was reason to believe that the flaws on the card were as seen and described in the listing. It sold for 150% of what an average PSA 1 goes for because of it too ($3750 vs $2500).

Item description from the listing reads as follows:

Quote:
1933 Goudey #160 Lou Gehrig is offered here in a PSA 1 PR holder. Soiling and wear are evident on the front, but nothing takes away from the pinstriped Gehrig central image. Clear verso.
This is starting to become a pretty big problem, in my opinion. It's always been this way to some degree, but I feel as though it's gotten worse lately. Numerous auction houses are either intentionally hiding major flaws or are exhibiting extreme negligence in their omissions and scans. Say what you will about how annoying the eBay Authenticity Guarantee program is, they at least provide a layer of protection against stuff like this happening. They will reject cards that exhibit major flaws that are not disclosed or shown in the listings.

I reached out to them this morning and sent them these images. We'll see how they respond. Needless to say, I wasn't happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goudey Gehrig.jpg (200.3 KB, 1828 views)
File Type: jpg Goudey Gehrig Back.jpg (204.1 KB, 1822 views)
__________________
If it's not perfectly centered, I probably don't want it.

Last edited by Snowman; 02-14-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-14-2024, 02:32 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is online now
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,829
Default

Holy Cow!
__________________
Phil Lewis


https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-2024, 02:34 PM
jsfriedm's Avatar
jsfriedm jsfriedm is offline
Jeremy
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 241
Default

The Memory Lane scans look like they could have been taken directly from the PSA website: https://www.psacard.com/cert/78153729
__________________
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-14-2024, 02:39 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,707
Default

Wow, that is just uncalled for.
Calling it deceitful does not begin to describe what Memory Lane did here.

I would not settle for anything other than a full refund with some swag/credit of some sort thrown in to.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-14-2024, 02:43 PM
calvindog's Avatar
calvindog calvindog is offline
Jeffrey Lichtman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,567
Default

You should probably not partake in Heritage auctions.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-14-2024, 02:46 PM
raulus raulus is offline
Nicol0 Pin.oli
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 1,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
The Memory Lane scans look like they could have been taken directly from the PSA website: https://www.psacard.com/cert/78153729
Saw that same thing.

I wonder if this is a case where the creases were removed, but then returned after grading.

Or it could just be a really blurry scan by PSA.
__________________
Trying to wrap up my master mays set, with just a few left:

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-14-2024, 02:53 PM
CardPadre CardPadre is offline
Will.i.@m $t@dy
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Diego/Albuquerque
Posts: 376
Default

That’s pretty terrible, especially for the premium the card commanded based on the perceived absence of most the creases/wrinkles.

I had a similar situation recently with a Sport Thrills Jackie that showed up with full-length wrinkles that you would never be able to pick up in the scans (AH also used PSA scans). That card didn’t command such a premium and I was able to move it for just about what I had into it, so I never made a fuss about it, but I was very displeased.

__________________
Trading! See my Flickr "For Trade" album (updated Dec 2023) as well as an album of my PC stuff.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/197267578@N07/albums

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2024, 03:01 PM
jacksons's Avatar
jacksons jacksons is offline
Gerry
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 215
Default

I checked the page source code for the Gehrig card .jpg file on both sites (PSA and ML) and the scans are different but very close. Neither obviously shows the evident creasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
The Memory Lane scans look like they could have been taken directly from the PSA website: https://www.psacard.com/cert/78153729
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-2024, 03:27 PM
molenick's Avatar
molenick molenick is offline
Michael
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 693
Default

I once won a PSA 4 card that looked like it just had corner wear but actually had a crease down the middle (which I discovered when I received the card). Because of this, I have started calling AHs and asking them to pull any cards graded EX or below and go over them with me over the phone.

Not saying in any way that that is what you should have done...if the scan did not show those creases, they should have been mentioned in the description.

But calling for details has helped me on several occasions avoid unpleasant surprises.
__________________
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-2024, 03:48 PM
ElCabron's Avatar
ElCabron ElCabron is offline
Ryan Christoff
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 449
Default

If you don’t like this then you’ll probably want to steer clear of Diamond Dave Kohler’s SCP Auctions.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-14-2024, 03:57 PM
NiceDocter NiceDocter is offline
Rocky Rockwell
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jacksonville , Florida
Posts: 1,153
Default whoa!

That almost rises to the level of a photoshopped scam. Im hoping they make this right by you. Im sure you felt sick when you got the card in hand. Please keep us posted on the resolution of this problem. Sorry it happened.....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:04 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,020
Default

There's a distinct difference in the background texture of the card. The picture/scan from the auction description has a very smooth black background and the picture/scan of the wrinkled card has a bit of texture.

Is the "after" graphic a scan or a picture? Is it possible the item description is a scan with crappy settings on the scanner?

In any case, I'd be communicating with the AH because that is such a misrepresentation of the card.

Totally mind blowing.

It has the appearance that it was cracked out of the slab and was soaked and pressed. But then that wouldn't explain the same cert#.

Edited to add - Let's hope the AH doesn't come back and say that a PSA1 can have creases, etc, and then try to close it out without further discussion.
__________________
fr3d c0wl3s - always looking for OJs and other 19th century stuff. PM or email me if you have something
cool you're looking to find a new home for.

Last edited by Fred; 02-14-2024 at 04:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:05 PM
Seven's Avatar
Seven Seven is offline
James M.
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 1,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
You should probably not partake in Heritage auctions.
I can't say I've done it a lot, but a while back I purchased a card from heritage, My 1952 Bowman Mickey Mantle, and the Scan was near identical to what I received. Granted that should always be the case, but still.
__________________
Successful Deals With:

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:12 PM
Fred's Avatar
Fred Fred is offline
Fred
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
You should probably not partake in Heritage auctions.
Doesn't Heritage provide really high resolution pictures/scans that can be exploded to be HUGE on a computer screen? I've found many defects by exploding the picture. I can't remember how long Heritage has been using this format, but it has helped me recently. Now if it was similar to this case and the exploded Gehrig card picture/scan didn't show the creases/wrinkles, then that would be problematic.
__________________
fr3d c0wl3s - always looking for OJs and other 19th century stuff. PM or email me if you have something
cool you're looking to find a new home for.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:13 PM
4815162342's Avatar
4815162342 4815162342 is online now
Daryl
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,308
Default Memory Lane Gehrig expectation vs reality

.

Last edited by 4815162342; 04-17-2024 at 05:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:13 PM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,945
Default

Memory Lane got back to me. Apparently, these images are not sufficient for them to determine that the card was misrepresented.

Quote:
I'm sorry you're not happy with your purchase. However, I can't agree with your scans without holding the cards to compare what the actual card looks like. Being this said, if you want me to further examine your position send the cards back to my attn.
__________________
If it's not perfectly centered, I probably don't want it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:13 PM
oldjudge's Avatar
oldjudge oldjudge is offline
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Bronx
Posts: 5,410
Default

Last year I was contemplating bidding on a high end card in HA. I called and asked about the condition and a little while later Joe Orlando called back. He completely described the card to me and could not have been any nicer. If you have questions about a card ask before you bid and definitely don’t call out an auction house before you give them an opportunity to respond to your issue.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:27 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 34,512
Default

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Last year I was contemplating bidding on a high end card in HA. I called and asked about the condition and a little while later Joe Orlando called back. He completely described the card to me and could not have been any nicer. If you have questions about a card ask before you bid and definitely don’t call out an auction house before you give them an opportunity to respond to your issue.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:43 PM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
+1
It's one thing to call and ask for specifics about a card's condition when no description is given. I do that with at least some degree of regularity. But in this case, there was no reason to ask questions about this card because they gave specifics about the card's condition in the description ("Soiling and wear are evident on the front, but nothing takes away from the pinstriped Gehrig central image. Clear verso."). To call them up and ask if they omitted something else significant (like a half dozen giant creases) would have been to assume that they were lying.

As far as calling them out, I disagree. This sort of behavior is rampant in this hobby and it's completely inexcusable. They did what they did, and bidders should be made aware of it. And this wasn't the only card they did it with either. I have another, much more expensive card that had an even more in-depth description, but which also omitted the fact that there were multiple creases on it. In fact, I would say that the description of the other card was so precise that it could be effectively interpreted as "there are no creases on this card". Yet it arrived with multiple hidden creases as well.

They have an opportunity to make this right. If they do, then I will certainly be sharing that information. People make mistakes. But when auction houses do wrong by their customers, that information needs to be shared with the community.
__________________
If it's not perfectly centered, I probably don't want it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:48 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
It's one thing to call and ask for specifics about a card's condition when no description is given. I do that with at least some degree of regularity. But in this case, there was no reason to ask questions about this card because they gave specifics about the card's condition in the description ("Soiling and wear are evident on the front, but nothing takes away from the pinstriped Gehrig central image. Clear verso."). To call them up and ask if they omitted something else significant (like a half dozen giant creases) would have been to assume that they were lying.

As far as calling them out, I disagree. This sort of behavior is rampant in this hobby and it's completely inexcusable. They did what they did, and bidders should be made aware of it. And this wasn't the only card they did it with either. I have another, much more expensive card that had an even more in-depth description, but which also omitted the fact that there were multiple creases on it. In fact, I would say that the description of the other card was so precise that it could be effectively interpreted as "there are no creases on this card". Yet it arrived with multiple hidden creases as well.

They have an opportunity to make this right. If they do, then I will certainly be sharing that information. People make mistakes. But when auction houses do wrong by their customers, that information needs to be shared with the community.
Exactly! This is on the AH to get right, not on the potential buyer that is using and trusting them to be upfront and honest.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-14-2024, 04:59 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is online now
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,829
Default

TIL; Auction Houses use PSA pix for some of their listings. I honestly didn't know that.
__________________
Phil Lewis


https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-14-2024, 05:11 PM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
TIL; Auction Houses use PSA pix for some of their listings. I honestly didn't know that.
They didn't use PSA's scan. The image is from their own scanner.
__________________
If it's not perfectly centered, I probably don't want it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-14-2024, 06:14 PM
tjisonline's Avatar
tjisonline tjisonline is offline
TJ D3H@rsl°
member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 79
Default

I suggested posting more on social media (tag the auction house) and let a YouTube blog post about it. I have a few to recommend who actually helped users w/ Goldin.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-14-2024, 06:20 PM
Jobu's Avatar
Jobu Jobu is offline
Bry@n
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 3,742
Default

Chances are eBay would have passed this as a PSA 1 where the holder wasn't compromised and sent it to you. And once they clear it the sale is final, there is nothing you can do. I bought a graded card where the seller edited out colors so it looked like an error, eBay approved it, and no matter how hard I complained my way up the chain they said 'tough shit, we're not the experts, the authenticator is and what they say is final." Now, a raw card in this situation and you might have a chance of hearing from them before they pass it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Say what you will about how annoying the eBay Authenticity Guarantee program is, they at least provide a layer of protection against stuff like this happening. They will reject cards that exhibit major flaws that are not disclosed or shown in the listings.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-14-2024, 06:26 PM
vthobby vthobby is offline
Mike P.ap
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: VT
Posts: 2,375
Default .......

Just another reason I only deal with REA.

That is plain fraud on their (Memory Lane) part. I'd dispute the charge on your credit card (hopefully you paid this way) and never deal with them again.

Very bad!

REA all the way!

Last edited by vthobby; 02-14-2024 at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-14-2024, 06:32 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Chances are eBay would have passed this as a PSA 1 where the holder wasn't compromised and sent it to you. And once they clear it the sale is final, there is nothing you can do. I bought a graded card where the seller edited out colors so it looked like an error, eBay approved it, and no matter how hard I complained my way up the chain they said 'tough shit, we're not the experts, the authenticator is and what they say is final." Now, a raw card in this situation and you might have a chance of hearing from them before they pass it.
But you can return saying "changed mind" no?
__________________
"Trolling Ebay right now" ©

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-14-2024, 06:35 PM
michael3322 michael3322 is offline
Michael
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 263
Default

Very interesting comments.

I initially didn't understand why collectors would care about MBA ratings on top of graded slabs, but given the recent examples of inconsistencies, maybe the graders of the graders are actually providing a useful service after all? What do you think?



FYI: I have never used the MBA service and don't own any MBA graded cards.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-14-2024, 07:04 PM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5,877
Default

Never heard of MBA. Not one time.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-14-2024, 07:25 PM
Tyruscobb Tyruscobb is offline
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
It's one thing to call and ask for specifics about a card's condition when no description is given. I do that with at least some degree of regularity. But in this case, there was no reason to ask questions about this card because they gave specifics about the card's condition in the description ("Soiling and wear are evident on the front, but nothing takes away from the pinstriped Gehrig central image. Clear verso."). To call them up and ask if they omitted something else significant (like a half dozen giant creases) would have been to assume that they were lying.

As far as calling them out, I disagree. This sort of behavior is rampant in this hobby and it's completely inexcusable. They did what they did, and bidders should be made aware of it. And this wasn't the only card they did it with either. I have another, much more expensive card that had an even more in-depth description, but which also omitted the fact that there were multiple creases on it. In fact, I would say that the description of the other card was so precise that it could be effectively interpreted as "there are no creases on this card". Yet it arrived with multiple hidden creases as well.

They have an opportunity to make this right. If they do, then I will certainly be sharing that information. People make mistakes. But when auction houses do wrong by their customers, that information needs to be shared with the community.
You reasonably relied on how the auction house advertised/described the card, and the scans that it provided. In my lay opinion, the description and scans do not reveal the card’s obvious and main patent defects. You have a valid complaint. Hopefully, you all can reach a compromise. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-14-2024, 07:36 PM
Lucas00's Avatar
Lucas00 Lucas00 is offline
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,944
Default

This is why I like to take scans 100% raw. Dust specs and all, zero alterations to any settings aside from resolution.
__________________
My Red Schoendienst collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/redsc...enstcollection

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 02-14-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-14-2024, 07:40 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 11,273
Default

That's bullshit and I would be pissed off as well. I'd be in their best interest to make you whole.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-14-2024, 07:42 PM
3-2-count's Avatar
3-2-count 3-2-count is offline
T0NY @
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,860
Default

It’s inexcusable for an AH to represent a card that they’re selling with scans like that.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-14-2024, 07:42 PM
Carter08 Carter08 is offline
J@mes Nonk.es
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,724
Default

Really ridiculous. Hope it works out.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-14-2024, 07:46 PM
Brian Brian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 337
Default

That is one horrendous misrepresentation, and I agree that it should be overkill to ask for further details when a detailed description has been provided.

But then again, if it is over a certain price point, I will ask anyway, to be safe. This does not always work, however, as I found out with a pricey card a couple of years ago. In the end, the AH said they would take it back because they "missed" the wrinkle I asked about, but by then I was so fed up, I just kept the card. It was not nearly as egregious as this, however, or I would have demanded my money back for sure.....
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-14-2024, 07:59 PM
Gorditadogg Gorditadogg is offline
Al Stein
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,926
Default

It looks like the Memory Lane picture is blurry, Gehrig's face is out of focus compared to Travis's scan. I would think an auction house would take better quality pictures than that.

Do you think the AH got duped, too, and used a picture provided by the seller? Whatever happened, it is a major screw up.

Please keep us informed as this develops.


Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-14-2024, 09:25 PM
Mungo Hungo Mungo Hungo is offline
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 108
Default

Might be worth filing in small claims court. Depends on whether it would be worth your time, but since the auction house delivered to your address, your small claims court presumably would have jurisdiction.
__________________
Looking for a 1998 Bryan Braves (non-perforated) Kerry Ligtenberg and a 2000 Nabisco Albertson's Astros Chris Truby.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-14-2024, 09:48 PM
Jobu's Avatar
Jobu Jobu is offline
Bry@n
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 3,742
Default

Nope.

If the seller accepts returns, you can return the card under the terms they set.

If it is listed as no returns and the authenticator passes the card, it is yours forever as soon as it hits your doorstep. (I assume with provisions for a card damaged during shipping.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
But you can return saying "changed mind" no?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-14-2024, 09:53 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
Luke Lyon
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,973
Default

Yeah, they should want to take care of this for you. Those scans are incredibly deceiving.
__________________
ThatT206Life.com
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-14-2024, 10:02 PM
ValKehl's Avatar
ValKehl ValKehl is offline
Val Kehl
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Manassas, VA (DC suburb)
Posts: 3,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Nope.

If the seller accepts returns, you can return the card under the terms they set.

If it is listed as no returns and the authenticator passes the card, it is yours forever as soon as it hits your doorstep. (I assume with provisions for a card damaged during shipping.)
Even if the card is "not as described"?
__________________
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-14-2024, 10:32 PM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Nope.

If the seller accepts returns, you can return the card under the terms they set.

If it is listed as no returns and the authenticator passes the card, it is yours forever as soon as it hits your doorstep. (I assume with provisions for a card damaged during shipping.)
While this is usually the case, it's not always. It really depends. I had a card show up that passed ebay authenticity but that was altered on the back and they missed it. At first, eBay told me to pound sand, but I got a hold of a representative and provided proof with good photos of the issue and they had me send the card back to the authenticators for review. After seeing my pics and reviewing the card, they agreed with me and I was refunded.
__________________
If it's not perfectly centered, I probably don't want it.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Lorewalker's Avatar
Lorewalker Lorewalker is offline
Chase
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I won this 33 Goudey Gehrig from Memory Lane last month. To say the card was misrepresented would be an understatement. Here's a couple of side-by-sides showing the auction photos vs how they look in hand. And yes, I fully realize that it was in a PSA 1 holder. But the problem nowadays is that PSA's grading is all over the place, and they regularly put VG cards into PSA 1 holders, and this is a brand new cert number, graded within the past few months. So there was reason to believe that the flaws on the card were as seen and described in the listing. It sold for 150% of what an average PSA 1 goes for because of it too ($3750 vs $2500).

Item description from the listing reads as follows:



This is starting to become a pretty big problem, in my opinion. It's always been this way to some degree, but I feel as though it's gotten worse lately. Numerous auction houses are either intentionally hiding major flaws or are exhibiting extreme negligence in their omissions and scans. Say what you will about how annoying the eBay Authenticity Guarantee program is, they at least provide a layer of protection against stuff like this happening. They will reject cards that exhibit major flaws that are not disclosed or shown in the listings.

I reached out to them this morning and sent them these images. We'll see how they respond. Needless to say, I wasn't happy.
There is no question the scan ML used was misleading as it hides the very heavy creases. The person responsible for the description should have mentioned heavy wrinkles IF they were looking at the card AND the scan when writing the description. Possible this was innocent oversight and it is not that expensive of a card that a whole lot of attention was going to be given to it.

I think your mistake was assuming with PSA grading overly harsh, that it had a bump. From what I have been told, ML is on the short list of favorites at PSA and their stuff is not going to get the same harsh grading the rest of us experience.

Also if this purchase was made on eBay and the same misleading scan was used, the card would have passed authentication. If the seller was an All Sales Final seller, you would have no recourse. You will have a better chance getting ML to refund you than you would had this been purchased on eBay.
__________________
( h @ $ e A n + l e y
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-15-2024, 01:57 AM
doug.goodman doug.goodman is offline
Doug Goodman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On the road again...
Posts: 4,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
I think your mistake was assuming with PSA grading overly harsh, that it had a bump. From what I have been told, ML is on the short list of favorites at PSA and their stuff is not going to get the same harsh grading the rest of us experience.
I think your mistake is thinking that a card that has no creases mentioned in the description, and no creases show in the pictures, is allowed to have creases.

Another mistake of yours evidently is to feel that it's ok for certain clients to get better opinions from the opinion sellers than other clients.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-15-2024, 03:20 AM
rjackson44's Avatar
rjackson44 rjackson44 is offline
octavio ranzola
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Manhattan nyc,congers ny
Posts: 12,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Yeah, they should want to take care of this for you. Those scans are incredibly deceiving.
Hi Luke im sure they will ,, never had issues with them ,,im sure snowman will be happy..

Last edited by rjackson44; 02-15-2024 at 03:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-15-2024, 04:51 AM
tjisonline's Avatar
tjisonline tjisonline is offline
TJ D3H@rsl°
member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 79
Default

With auction houses, there’s a level of expectation that you’re allowed to have by not using more popular platforms such as eBay. Buyers are paying a 20% premium. Least the auction houses can do is provide accurate descriptions. Additionally, this Lou Gehrig card appears blurry in the areas where the creases are. If the creases were disclosed like in some of their other listings, this card would have sold for less as some buyers would have stayed away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I think your mistake is thinking that a card that has no creases mentioned in the description, and no creases show in the pictures, is allowed to have creases.

Another mistake of yours evidently is to feel that it's ok for certain clients to get better opinions from the opinion sellers than other clients.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-15-2024, 04:59 AM
Stonepony's Avatar
Stonepony Stonepony is offline
Dave_Berg
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,628
Default

IMG_6461.jpeg

Golden pulled something similar with me a few years ago. Card on left was their website and auction catalog image. Card on right is what I got. I
Learned my lesson with them. Their reply was crickets
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-15-2024, 05:31 AM
SyrNy1960's Avatar
SyrNy1960 SyrNy1960 is offline
Tony Baldwin
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Attachment 610363

Golden pulled something similar with me a few years ago. Card on left was their website and auction catalog image. Card on right is what I got. I
Learned my lesson with them. Their reply was crickets
This is insane! Snowman's card and your card clearly shows intentional deception. Anyone can clearly see that. To show a card with no creases in an auction, then the buyer receives the card with obvious creases, is dishonest and unethical.

I'm sorry you both (and others) had that happen to you!
__________________
Successful NET54 transactions:
robw1959, Tyruscobb
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-15-2024, 05:33 AM
tjisonline's Avatar
tjisonline tjisonline is offline
TJ D3H@rsl°
member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 79
Default

100% . I watched the videos about shenanigans you went through with auction houses. Since watching, I now ask for additional pictures, including angled shots. Still not always enough when they answer my request (or just resend the same pics as on the site).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Attachment 610363

Golden pulled something similar with me a few years ago. Card on left was their website and auction catalog image. Card on right is what I got. I
Learned my lesson with them. Their reply was crickets
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-15-2024, 09:01 AM
raulus raulus is offline
Nicol0 Pin.oli
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 1,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
As far as calling them out, I disagree. This sort of behavior is rampant in this hobby and it's completely inexcusable. They did what they did, and bidders should be made aware of it. And this wasn't the only card they did it with either. I have another, much more expensive card that had an even more in-depth description, but which also omitted the fact that there were multiple creases on it. In fact, I would say that the description of the other card was so precise that it could be effectively interpreted as "there are no creases on this card". Yet it arrived with multiple hidden creases as well.

They have an opportunity to make this right. If they do, then I will certainly be sharing that information. People make mistakes. But when auction houses do wrong by their customers, that information needs to be shared with the community.
I think there are often two competing concerns here.

One concern is that the auction house should have a chance to address this issue before it's made public. I think we can all agree that auction houses are generally great, but are also fallible, and sometimes will make mistakes. And when it happens, I suspect that the AH prefers not to be publicly embarrassed by a mistake. We all make mistakes, yet I suspect none of us is really excited about having those mistakes paraded around in public, even when they're true.

On the other side, if an AH makes a mistake, to what extent is it important for the broader collecting community to understand what happened so that we can be aware of the situation, and take appropriate precautions ourselves? Certainly we rightfully expect that AHs are experts on the pieces they are auctioning, the stuff is authentic, accurately represented and described. If the AH isn't meeting that standard, then it seems like the sort of thing that the full industry should care about, to make sure that we're able to protect ourselves against the same sort of situation in the future, but also as a means to help to police the AHs and keep them honest.

Not to make this about me, although I clearly can't help myself, but I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. I won an auction from a major AH (not ML) for a collection of items that all turned out to be fake. And not even good fakes, but very obvious and stupid fakes, as they were fantasy pieces with a number of the backs printed on kodak paper, with the kodak logo and everything. As luck would have it, the backs that were printed on kodak paper weren't shown in the pics on the AH listing.

Similar to Travis, I posted about it here, both because I thought the community should know, and because I wanted to push the AH to act on it. And the response to my post was somewhat similar: some thought I should have waited a while longer before posting to give the AH a chance to fix it before I went public, and others supported me and found the mistakes of the AH to be deeply troubling.

I'm not here to re-litigate my experience working through that process with that AH, although I'm happy to report that the AH addressed the issue and refunded my payment. I'm hopeful that Travis will have a similarly positive outcome.
__________________
Trying to wrap up my master mays set, with just a few left:

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-15-2024, 09:52 AM
maniac_73's Avatar
maniac_73 maniac_73 is online now
CostA Kl@d1@n0s
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Santa Clara, Ca
Posts: 650
Default

Anyone who is backing the AH on this should be ashamed of themselves. This is clearly misrepresentation, and the fact that they doubled down after Travis contacted them is an absolute joke. Will be steering very clear of Memory Lane in the future
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-15-2024, 09:57 AM
Snowman's Avatar
Snowman Snowman is offline
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Anyone who is backing the AH on this should be ashamed of themselves. This is clearly misrepresentation, and the fact that they doubled down after Travis contacted them is an absolute joke. Will be steering very clear of Memory Lane in the future
They still have a chance to make it right though. They didn't tell me to pound sand. At least not yet. They asked me to send it back to them so they can review it.
__________________
If it's not perfectly centered, I probably don't want it.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memory Lane Memory Lane!!! ullmandds Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 1 08-25-2022 03:58 PM
Memory Lane calvindog Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 08-13-2017 12:01 AM
Memory Lane - Anyone win anything?? bobbyw8469 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 11 05-06-2011 10:39 PM
Memory Lane Orioles1954 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 08-09-2009 12:45 AM
Will Memory Lane EVER end? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 3 12-16-2006 04:18 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 PM.


ebay GSB