NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Matt

Default Sam Crawford Spalding Bat on ebay

Am I missing something here?
http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-25-Sam-Craw...a#ht_3095wt_99
Matt Hart

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 04-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hey, its "been professionally Authenticated by PSA/DNA the best in the bussiness"; if the best in the bussiness [sic] says it's good what more can there be to say about it?

My rule: never trust a seller with typos in critical parts of a listing.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Mike H.

That is laughable
Old 04-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Josh Margolin

I am not a bat collector and don't pretend to be, but can someone tell me why this is laughable? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to figure out what makes this so obviously bad . . . and what is the difference between this bat and the one in SCP current auction?

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Mike H.

This piece is a store model bat Josh. It's bat nerd humor.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Josh Margolin

Thanks Mike. So the long and short of it is psa screwed up?

EDITED: Sorry, I took a look on PSA and its pretty clear that this was authenticated as a store model. Thanks fellas!

Last edited by margoaepi; 04-17-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Josh Margolin

. . . and is it clear that the one in the SCP auction is a game used?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Matt

heres a link to scp.
http://scpauctions.com/LotDetail.asp...(PSA%2fDNA-GU6)

I'd love for John or Vince to chime in on this one. The bat is a store model. No provenance? Is every spalding bat now going to be pro model?

There was a store model Harry Davis with a psa cert, listing it as a pro model, in the next Huggins sale. It's not coming up in the search results right now, so I wonder if it was pulled.

Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Ne@l K

The bat on eBay has been authenticated as a retail bat, no?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Jim Murphy

in all my years of collecting baseball bats, only the Spalding Hand Turned Models were considered as Pro Model Game bats. All Autographed models were alway considered as a store model bat. If due to some circumstance that a player used a store model bat in a professional game happened so it may be, but for a group of Sam Crawford model to be graded as such is in my opinion strange in deed

Jim Murphy
Philadelphia Bat Company
Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 AM
Matt

While the bat does say it was manufactured for professional/retail use, the fact that it is even referred to as a pro model, without any provenance is wrong.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 04-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Ne@l K

I think the LOA is basically just saying that that the club bought some retail bats for player use, the bats in question exhibit use, but said use cannot be determined to be from Crawford.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Jim Murphy

Wording it as such it gives the impression that it is a professional modal bat used by Crawford. So what happens here is an experienced bat collector will only bid on the bat up to what the bat is really worth, but a novice may think that he or she is getting a great deal on a Crawford game used bat and bid higher.

The fact that the seller references a sale of a Crawford bat at $50,000 or whatever it was tells you he is trying to entice the buyer to spend more than what it is worth

So if the certificate said "Store Model Bat" then the buyer would be so warned
Old 04-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Matt

I completely agree with the Murph..
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 04-19-2011, 06:42 AM
Ne@l K

Not sure if the seller was contacted, but the listing was revised and a picture of the LOA was possibly added .... Taube called it an Autograph bat from the get go.

How a seller markets a bat is out of Taube and Malta's hands.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Jim Murphy

Hey Matt

Can you explain the differences between this bat and the Huggins bat you are offering
Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Josh Margolin

I'm sorry if I missed it, but is the feeling that the Crawford bat that SCP is offering is of similar ilk to the ebay bat?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by margoaepi View Post
I'm sorry if I missed it, but is the feeling that the Crawford bat that SCP is offering is of similar ilk to the ebay bat?
I would guess so, but the LOA is not visible in the SCP auction. The one on eBay has a letter stating it is an autograph model, which is correct. Perhaps the seller was trying to sell it as a player model w/o showing the LOA?

Not sure what the uproar was all about.

edited to add - SCP is also an autograph model, which states that in the title. Taube and Malta do not need to explain anything

Last edited by Neal; 04-19-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: SCP info
Old 04-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
Hey Matt

Can you explain the differences between this bat and the Huggins bat you are offering
Sure,
mine DOES NOT have the Spalding mark on either end and is hand turned.

Not saying other spaldings aren't hand turned because most are, but they have the spalding mark. Ones lacking the spalding mark, have always been considered pro models by most.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 04-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I would guess so, but the LOA is not visible in the SCP auction. The one on eBay has a letter stating it is an autograph model, which is correct. Perhaps the seller was trying to sell it as a player model w/o showing the LOA?

edited to add - SCP is also an autograph model, which states that in the title. Taube and Malta do not need to explain anything
Neal.. glad you feel that way but I disagree. So do the several lurkers that emailed and called me. An explanation on how a 35 inch Crawford with spalding marks on the end would be great. I don't really care to hear that every spalding bat was marked with that. Then explain the Cobbs, Keelers, Evers, Stones and so on, that appear without spalding on the knob.

The autograph model isn't even whats being questioned, its the PRO MODEL wording.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Matt

In regards to the Eddie Maier Crawford bat. Besides the fact that it came from an early game used bat collector, is there any proof that the bat was used by Crawford and given to Maier? Its great that it was pictured with Maier in 1916, but how do we know Maier didn't have the bat and just got it signed? It is not inscribed Game used.

I have a game used bat collection, but does that mean every bat I have is a gamer.. NOPE.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post

No uproad at all, what Matt was asking was, "did I miss something"
What you are missing is that unlike autpgraph dealer who at time will not tell you what is right or wrong with an autograph, most bat collectors and dealers will show you and educate you on why a bat is game used, game bat, store bat, etc.

While a bat may have similer chacteristic to a game used bat there may be only one or two small details that will give you the full story.

I think that was what Matt was asking
Old 04-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Ne@l K

Perhaps uproar was a poor choice of words .... but I read the posts as the Letter of Opinion is misleading. I have never seen an LOA with "Store Model Bat" as the header, so that is where I was confused.

Matt, I agree that the only "proof" that the bat was used by Crawford is from word of mouth - in this case, from the mouth of one of the earliest known bat collectors. But that does not cut it, and that is what Taube stated in his letter of opinion - he could not confirm that it was used by Crawford.

Stating "autograph" for model number on the letter implies that this is a retail bat, to me at least, and although there are stories of clubs/players purchasing these bats for game use, the use of these bats in a major league game cannot be determined, and certainly not for a specific player.