NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1951 Topps Mickey Mantle Type 1 photo for '52 Topps- the story

I am posting this for John Rogers. He feels the rest of the story is important for this spectacular and historically significant photo. I am glad to help.

"I am the consignor of the much discussed Mickey Mantle Type I image that was used for Mantles 1952 Topps baseball card. With the current discussions, I felt it was important for me to provide some facts as to the photos history, my personal experiences with our nations news archives, etc.

For a brief walk through of what my business is, you can read up on us at www.rogersphotoarchive.com.
History of lot # 1341 in the current Legendary auction:
This photo was discovered in one of the many news archives we acquired over the last three years.

We have been asked "How do I know there isn't another example?" Of the top 100 news papers, based on circulation in the U.S., I have either purchased, or physically examined 93 of the top 100. We have acquired 52 million images and this is the ONLY example we have located thus far. Besides the top 100 papers based on circulation, my staff has toured dozens of other smaller, regional papers plus archives currently housed in institutions, libraries, universities and museums. In fact, there is rarely a week that's gone by that I haven't been in a newly discovered archive, with hopes for a potential purchase.

Sadly, the vast majority of newspapers have not been good protectors of their photographic history. For every 6 archives we inspect, we only issue a proposal to one. I have been in our nations oldest and most storied news archives and most have no photos prior to 1970. When there is representation of pre 70's photos, too many times we discover the major stars, athletes, politicians, and especially baseball Hall of Famers, have long ago been donated, stolen, or thrown out.

I hear the same stories from the old time photo librarians time and again....."We threw them away years ago" and "When we moved to our current building in 1982, we left the old archive behind", or, "our corporate bosses made us downsize and we threw them in the dumpsters in the mid 1980's"

These stories are what drive me to continue to preserve this lost history.

So, could another example of this much discussed image of Mantle possibly exist somewhere in the world? I say it is possible but, HIGHLY unlikely. I feel like at this point I've physically viewed 95% or the news archives that are worth viewing and after 3 years of digging in Mantles file at every stop, this is the only example discovered to date. Besides me not having personally seen another physical example, I encourage collectors to go search the web and try to find any digital representation of this image BEFORE we presented it via Legendary. When you go to Corbis and Getty, you will see they have a combined 212 million images. This image of Mantle was not one of them. With there being no digital image anywhere on the web, it makes me say with confidence that I believe nobody else in the world owns one.

Moving past Mantle.....anyone who has been collecting original Negro league photos should be labeled "smartest guy in the room". There is ZERO representation of original negro league photos in any news archive I have viewed thus far. The only exception was The Sporting News Archive and I can count them on my two hands. Original Negro League imagery is non existent from my experiences. Almost the same goes for quality big name Hall of Famers from the pre 1920 era. I can count on my two hands how many original Joe Jacksons, Christy Mathewsons, or Wagners, from their playing days, that I have seen in my inspections and acquisitions.

I believe we are in the infant stages for all things photo collecting. I would compare it to where baseball cards were in 1982. I hope that makes sense!

Thank you to every member of net54 who regularly bids in our weekly Ebay auctions. We have a HUGE announcement coming in the next week of our most recent archive acquisition. For pre war baseball fans, it is exciting!

Thanks,

John Rogers
P.S. Excuse my typos....this was done on my Droid and my fingers are too fat!"

Last edited by Leon; 05-31-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
J@RR0D

Thanks, Leon. Great info on an amazing piece.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:17 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Effing amazing!!!! Keep up the GREAT work. and please please pretty please keep us net 54ers informed. Mahalo and Aloha, dave
Old 05-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am posting this for John Rogers. He feels the rest of the story is important for this spectacular and historically significant photo. I am glad to help.

"I am the consignor of the much discussed Mickey Mantle Type I image that was used for Mantles 1952 Topps baseball card. With the current discussions, I felt it was important for me to provide some facts as to the photos history, my personal experiences with our nations news archives, etc.

For a brief walk through of what my business is, you can read up on us at www.rogersphotoarchive.com.
This photo was discovered in one of the many news archives we acquired over the last three years.

We have been asked "How do I know there isn't another example?" Of the top 100 news papers, based on circulation in the U.S., I have either purchased, or physically examined 93 of the top 100. We have acquired 52 million images and this is the ONLY example we have located thus far. Besides the top 100 papers based on circulation, my staff has toured dozens of other smaller, regional papers plus archives currently housed in institutions, libraries, universities and museums. In fact, there is rarely a week that's gone by that I haven't been in a newly discovered archive, with hopes for a potential purchase.

Sadly, the vast majority of newspapers have not been good protectors of their photographic history. For every 6 archives we inspect, we only issue a proposal to one. I have been in our nations oldest and most storied news archives and most have no photos prior to 1970. When there is representation of pre 70's photos, too many times we discover the major stars, athletes, politicians, and especially baseball Hall of Famers, have long ago been donated, stolen, or thrown out.

I hear the same stories from the old time photo librarians time and again....."We threw them away years ago" and "When we moved to our current building in 1982, we left the old archive behind", or, "our corporate bosses made us downsize and we threw them in the dumpsters in the mid 1980's"

So, could another example of this much discussed image of Mantle possibly exist somewhere in the world? I say it is possible but, HIGHLY unlikely. I feel like at this point I've physically viewed 95% or the news archives that are worth viewing and after 3 years of digging in Mantles file at every stop, this is the only example discovered to date. Besides me not having personally seen another physical example, I encourage collectors to go search the web and try to find any digital representation of this image BEFORE we presented it via Legendary. When you go to Corbis and Getty, you will see they have a combined 212 million images. This image of Mantle was not one of them. With there being no digital image anywhere on the web, it makes me say with confidence that I believe nobody else in the world owns one.

Moving past Mantle.....anyone who has been collecting original Negro league photos should be labeled "smartest guy in the room". There is ZERO representation of original negro league photos in any news archive I have viewed thus far. The only exception was The Sporting News Archive and I can count them on my two hands. Original Negro League imagery is non existent from my experiences. Almost the same goes for quality big name Hall of Famers from the pre 1920 era. I can count on my two hands how many original Joe Jacksons, Christy Mathewsons, or Wagners, from their playing days, that I have seen in my inspections and acquisitions.

I believe we are in the infant stages for all things photo collecting. I would compare it to where baseball cards were in 1982. I hope that makes sense!

Thank you to every member of net54 who regularly bids in our weekly Ebay auctions. We have a HUGE announcement coming in the next week of our most recent archive acquisition. For pre war baseball fans, it is exciting!

Thanks,

John Rogers

Another BIG thank you to Leon and to John. This really is great information and puts things in crystal clear perspective as John has without doubt viewed and had access to more vintage photos than anyone - bar none.

If true, and I now believe it is, this would also mean that International may be the only news service to have this image in a Type 1 format. Often several photographers from different agencies would cover the same event and you would see photos of the same subject(s) but taken from a slightly different angle, for example the posed shot of Mantle holding up the 565 Ft HR in 1953 by Associated Press vs United Press. Apparently this was not the case here and I have never seen this '51 pose from any perspective other than what is represented in the auction.

John's comments have changed my views significantly. Maybe this photo really will approach 100K.

Thanks again.

Craig
Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
FredYoung

Here's my question:

Obviously Topps and/or the artist that did the '52 Mantle had access to this photo, so isn't it reasonable to assume there is one in the Topps Archives or w/ the artist, or both?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
Here's my question:

Obviously Topps and/or the artist that did the '52 Mantle had access to this photo, so isn't it reasonable to assume there is one in the Topps Archives or w/ the artist, or both?
I would say it's very reasonable, however, if that particular version still exists (if it's not the one in question), is near impossible to say.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Excellent point. I would think there is another in one of their hands. Or was.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Craig

Quote:

Thanks,

John Rogers

I took John's advice and looked on Corbis and found the attached image.

I'm confused.

Mickey Mantle Holding Baseball Bat
Stock Photo ID: BE002468
Date Photographed: ca. 1951
Model Released: No Release
Property Released: No Release
Credit: © Bettmann/CORBIS
License Type: Rights Managed (RM)
Category: Historical
Collection: Bettmann
Max File Size: 8 MB - 3470px × 2718px • 11.00in. × 9.00in @ 300 ppi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corbis-BE002468.jpg (37.9 KB, 379 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen in Time View Post
I took John's advice and looked on Corbis and found the attached image.

I'm confused.

Mickey Mantle Holding Baseball Bat
Stock Photo ID: BE002468
Date Photographed: ca. 1951
Model Released: No Release
Property Released: No Release
Credit: © Bettmann/CORBIS
License Type: Rights Managed (RM)
Category: Historical
Collection: Bettmann
Max File Size: 8 MB - 3470px × 2718px • 11.00in. × 9.00in @ 300 ppi
WTF??

I would assume an explanation is forthcoming? It's a larger version of the exact photo.

Again, WTF?

Last edited by Splinte1941; 05-31-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinte1941 View Post
WTF??

I would assume an explanation is forthcoming? It's a larger version of the exact photo.
My guess is that CORBIS owns the original negative but that still doesn't explain John's statement.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
My guess is that CORBIS owns the original negative but that still doesn't explain John's statement.
What's the original negative worth?? I'll take that please.

And the question still remains if the photo in Legendary is THE photo used by the Topps artist, which is impossible to know I guess.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Brock

My thinking is, considering he's the consignor couldn't you just say that there's an unlikely chance of more being found but at the same time you own several but arn't saying so to drive the market price up?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinte1941 View Post
What's the original negative worth?? I'll take that please.
Oddly enough, I would wager that the original negative would sell for less than a nice Type I print, in this or most any other case. At least, that has been my experience when dealing with negatives, as counter-intuitive as that may seem (others may feel free to quote instances that prove my limited experience wrong though). My guess as to the reason why would be that, as they sit, negatives just aren't fun to look at. Most collectors would feel the need to either locate a vintage print as a companion piece or have a modern print made from the negative and then file the negative away while they view the print.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 05-31-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a post for John

Quote:

Here is a response from John.....

"Yes, Corbis owns EVERY original negative from the International News and UPI archives. While you will find scans from their full NEGATIVES, you will not find a digital image anywhere on the web, including Corbis or Getty of the original, final production International News Photo being sold in lot #1341. This leads to the common sense assumption that there is no other original International News photo of this image."

Old 06-01-2012, 05:38 AM
Craig

Quote:
Here is a response from John.....

"Yes, Corbis owns EVERY original negative from the International News and UPI archives. While you will find scans from their full NEGATIVES, you will not find a digital image anywhere on the web, including Corbis or Getty of the original, final production International News Photo being sold in lot #1341. This leads to the common sense assumption that there is no other original International News photo of this image."

Thanks Leon and John. Sorry, I obviously misunderstood the original statement. Should have realized it was the final production version you where referring to.

And John , congratulations - $60,000 for a Post-War photo - not too bad!!!

Craig
Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM

Default 1952 printing plate....rare ?

When i saw this post, i figured, why not ask the question since some Mantle expert joined the parade.....

I got some very old printing plates last week, they are from the 50's and older...
One of the plate is this photo taken after the 1952 World series in the clubhouse from Mantle/Mize/Reynolds....
I also have a Babe Ruth with Jimmy Fox, Hank Greenberg, Ralph Kiner, Hack Wilson home run club printing plate,,,i could not find this photo yet...last picture...
The original photo sold at auction a few years back and comes from the Boston Globe's Archives....here's the photo that sold and the plate....