NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Default Domed people: I've forgotten~

Posted By: Julie Vognar

In a domed stadium, if the ball hits the ceiling and then lands in the standsa in home run territory, what is it?

In a domed stadium, if the ball hits the ceiling and lands on the field of play in fair territory, what is it?

In a domed stadium, if the ball hits the ceiling and lands foul on the field, what is it?

In a domed stadium, if the ball hits the ceiling, and then someone catches it on the field of play (does this ever happen?), what is it?

Old 07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

In a domed stadium, if the ball hits the ceiling and then lands in the standsa in home run territory, what is it? HOME RUN

In a domed stadium, if the ball hits the ceiling and lands on the field of play in fair territory, what is it? IN PLAY FAIR BALL

In a domed stadium, if the ball hits the ceiling and lands foul on the field, what is it? FOUL BALL

In a domed stadium, if the ball hits the ceiling, and then someone catches it on the field of play (does this ever happen?), what is it? AN OUT

Old 07-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Julie

When I saw your subject line, I thought you were referring to the other thread "What do you look like" and to those of us who might otherwise reflect a personal domed appearance (I need to find one of those pictures of me from the early 80s)through the absence of hair follicles.

On the other hand, the majority of major league games I have seen have still been seen in domed stadiums. Olympic Stadium was a great place to watch a game when 45,000 were watching Ellis Valentine, Ron Leflore, Rodney Scott et al, but it started to die on Blue Monday and was the worst place to watch a game post 1994. The Kingdome wasn't much better, and was a dark and dreary place.

Max

Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I think in some cases Dennis is correct, but, the answer to all of those questions depends on the particular field and the ground rules established for the field.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

All the teams are in MLB.

The ball has to clear the green monster to be a home run, doesn't it? Or does it? (THINKING ABOUT SAME RULES FOR ALL TEAMS, NO MATTER WHAT THE FIELD IS LIKE).

Old 07-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I think the ground rule specifics vary on the playing field/dome.

Also, if the ball goes up and doesn't come down in the Metrodome, it's a ground rule double.

DJ

Old 07-20-2005, 01:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Every stadium has a different set of ground rules. MN just changed it's ground rules regarding balls that hit things susppended above the field of play. I forget off hand what the changes were.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mosley

I can remember at least one occasion where your ground rules came into play.

Mike Schmidt hit a ball off of a speaker located in fair territory on the ceiling of Olympic Stadium in Montreal in the early 1980s.

He was given a ground rule double for his efforts.

Scott

Old 07-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Ground rules for the Metrodome:

Foul poles are in fair territory.
Ball hitting roof or speakers in fair territory: if caught by fielder, batter is out and fielders advance at their own risk.
Ball hitting roof or speakers in fair territory shall be judged fair or foul in relation to where it hits the ground or is touched by a fielder.
Any ball that hits the speaker or roof in foul territory is a foul ball; if, however, the ball is caught by fielder, the batter is out and base runners advance at their own risk.
A ball that hits speaker in foul territory and ricochets back into fair territory is still a foul ball; if the ball is caught by fielder, the batter is out and base runners advance at their own risk.

Note specifically that in MN a ball that hits a speaker in foul territory and lands in fair territory is a foul ball as is a ball that hits the roof or a speaker in fair territory but lands in foul territory.

Ground rules for all other mlb teams can be found here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/umpires/ground_rules.jsp

Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Josh, thanks for the link. It's outdated though, at least as pertains to the Metrodome. A ball hitting a speaker is a dead ball foul (not to be confused with basketball's dead ball foul). I watched a Twins game the other day when this happened, and Blyleven stated that the ground rule had changed this year.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Yul Brynner, Telly Savalas, Jack Johnson

Old 07-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Administrator

I got that link from mlb.com so they must not have updated it to account for the changes.

Julie - with respect to the Green Monster, if they ever thought it was too difficult to hit a homerun over the wall, boston could always paint a white line on the wall, and change the ground rules to reflect that anything hit over the white line is a HR.

And apparently, some balls that hit the green monster can be home runs (from an espn article):

"Another odd thing about Fenway is the yellow line that rises to the top of The Wall, just left of the center-field bleachers. If a ball hits the line or to the right of the line, it's a home run. If a ball hits to the left of the line, it's in play ... unless the ball bounces into the bullpen, in which case it's a home run."

Old 07-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Braves got robbed a few years ago on some sort of stupid ground rule.

Ball hit the roof, then fell in the outfield for an apparent double...

but the umps said it hit the roof in foul ground and was therefore foul.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

This photo shows why the Boston line was drawn. A ball that hits the wall to the right of the line has been deemed to have gone over the center field fence and is thus a home run. Certain balls may bounce back on the field after hitting that part of the fence, though I don't know how often it would happen.