NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar...

Of course you are sorry, you got caught. Own it...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2019, 05:36 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

It's funny reading this thread with the PWCC banner showing up at the top.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Huigens View Post
We are obviously very aware of the issues surrounding the cards submitted to us by Gary Moser. First, we want to apologize to all those who have been affected by the purchasing of trimmed or altered cards. We are not disappearing or burying our heads in the sand about this. Next, we are presently working with both PSA and law enforcement to ensure that all affected cards are brought to light and this information makes its way to our customers. We understand that we are responsible for our part in this mess and will do all that we can to make it right in connection with Moser-submitted cards as well as other submitters who may have altered cards of which we auctioned. We understand how difficult it is to be patient through this process but we are working through this as quickly as we can at the direction of counsel and the appropriate authorities. Finally, in response to these recent findings, we are no longer selling any Moser-submitted cards.

We are very sorry for the trouble that has occurred and will work to regain your trust.
I have a few questions for Mr. Huigens:

1) Which law enforcement agency was contacted? Did PWCC contact this agency?
2) When was it contacted or a case opened? Who's the name of the individual on the case?
3) Is there any proof of this?

My main concern is that PWCC didn't look over these cards and have questions before auction? What auction house doesn't inspect the items to a) make sure they're not stolen and b) not damaged or altered prior? An investigator who has some knowledge of the Hobby and auction houses and grading companies are going to have some questions that might be very difficult for PWCC to answer.

This also opens up legitimate concerns about the practices of PSA.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:58 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
My main concern is that PWCC didn't look over these cards and have questions before auction?
Brent states that he personally inspects EVERY CARD VALUED AT $250 OR OVER to consider them for his stickers.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Brent states that he personally inspects EVERY CARD VALUED AT $250 OR OVER to consider them for his stickers.
With due respect that's not the issue. He probably doesn't know enough about cards to spot Moser's artistry. The point is he knew very well what Moser does, and knowingly took his altered cards to sell. And maybe even submitted some for him. And maybe the partnership went even beyond that.

The flat out lie to me (and Leon) that Moser was essentially out of the business two or three years ago really infuriates me, in case you can't tell.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-02-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
We are obviously very aware of the issues surrounding the cards submitted to us by Gary Moser. First, we want to apologize to all those who have been affected by the purchasing of trimmed or altered cards. We are not disappearing or burying our heads in the sand about this. Next, we are presently working with both PSA and law enforcement to ensure that all affected cards are brought to light and this information makes its way to our customers. We understand that we are responsible for our part in this mess and will do all that we can to make it right in connection with Moser-submitted cards as well as other submitters who may have altered cards of which we auctioned. We understand how difficult it is to be patient through this process but we are working through this as quickly as we can at the direction of counsel and the appropriate authorities. Finally, in response to these recent findings, we are no longer selling any Moser-submitted cards.

We are very sorry for the trouble that has occurred and will work to regain your trust.
Right. Moser and who else?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Verify then Trust
Court Order Subpoenas and Search Warrants for all electronic communications and records only way to find the truth
Without Above Happening This Will Be Very Difficult to Prove
Who has been submitting the cards that’s the bottom line here
Old 06-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Dave K.leppel

SSDD as in 2016, when it involved shilling and allowing consignors to bid on their own items. The “leopards” have not changed their spots.

Can everyone say Deja Vu?

I guess this means that since people wouldn’t buy into the new “tenets” (i.e. cheating is ok unless you get caught) that they were trying to push/defend, and with their professional reputation badly tarnished plus a possibility of criminal investigations and civil torts a growing reality, they now come out with the kind of statement that should have come out immediately from a truly reputable market maker at the outset.

Clearly this is another example of a recurring business strategy/practice with this market maker; When you find you cannot get away with unethical actions, then feign victimhood and do whatever you have to do to save your own skin.

And not a mention, not even a denial, of the allegations that accuse them of being directly involved in the purchase of cards that were then supposedly altered, re-subbed and then resold?

Those who walked away from this market maker in 2016 were the smart ones.

Integrity will ALWAYS matter!
Old 06-02-2019, 07:43 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
Right. Moser and who else?
Other known card doctors getting cards past the Third Party Grading services and listing through PWCC, Probstein, etc. to cover their tracks:

Bill Sliheet - SSIGuy (Superior Sports Investments)
Samir Sliheet - Superior Sports Investments
Nate Nichols - affiliated with the Dallas area BGS trimmers
Will Jaimet - Heroes of Sport, submitter to PWCC
Gary Moser - eBay whitman111 vintage cards dating back to 1880s consigned to PWCC after grading by PSA
Eric Bitz - Buynicecards
Brian Deer- isellurcards (formerly Bristol Collectibles)
Kevin Burge- longtime modern card dealer
Brent Huigens
Dick Towle - Gone With the Stain
Robert Block - longtime BGS trimmer
Steve Tormollan
Old 06-02-2019, 07:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

This guy is FUNNY! Like that could ever happen...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banzai.JPG (48.1 KB, 768 views)
Old 06-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Other known card doctors getting cards past the Third Party Grading services and listing through PWCC, Probstein, etc. to cover their tracks:

Gary Moser - eBay whitman111 vintage cards dating back to 1880s consigned to PWCC after grading by PSA
Eric Bitz - Buynicecards
Brent Huigens
Steve Tormollan
The other big vintage doctors have not been outed over there.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Heavy Circumstantial Evidence: BGS giving preferential grades to WJCII (Joe Clemons), former employee
Heavy Circumstantial Evidence: Gabriel Seraf replacing boring patches with SICK MOJO PATCHES
Old 06-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Howard Chernick

Quote:

Eric Bitz - Buynicecards
Brent Huigens
Steve Tormollan

Are any of these docs part of the Net54 community?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 PM
Chris
Chr!s Stua.rt

I’m buying puts on CLCT tomorrow.

I can see this leading to PSA needing to repurchase altered cards that are likely worth a fraction of their original value.

Even if they weren’t in cahoots with PWCC, it has been proven that their grading capabilities are horrendous. Reputation completely tarnished with a high likelihood that their future grading revenues decline significantly.

And if they were in cahoots, this ship is going to sink even quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2019, 09:28 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenrovell
Old 06-02-2019, 09:32 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Uh oh, we're getting some attention.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-02-2019, 09:54 PM
Mike Ryan

Default Woe is us!

I see this whole mess ending very badly for everyone. Dealers, collectors, investors AND TPG's alike. How in the world will PSA be able to buy back all of those altered cards, that got by them, at the prices that their monthly SMR says they are worth?
After all CEO Joe O. has signed off "Taking My Hacks" each and every month with "Never get cheated".
Old 06-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
I see this whole mess ending very badly for everyone. Dealers, collectors, investors AND TPG's alike. How in the world will PSA be able to buy back all of those altered cards, that got by them, at the prices that their monthly SMR says they are worth?
After all CEO Joe O. has signed off "Taking My Hacks" each and every month with "Never get cheated".
Some expect they'll fight tooth and nail on each and every one on which a buyback is requested.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:16 PM
Dave K.leppel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Some expect they'll fight tooth and nail on each and every one on which a buyback is requested.
Actually in this case PSA has apparently found a willing party to cover those costs instead of going to jail for being party to a fraud.

I expect that as cards are shown to be altered and traceable to PWCC they (PWCC) will make restitution for them and turn in the cards to PSA. Meanwhile, PSA will continue to stand behind their brand and methods.

Unless forced by legal actions to disclose the full breadth of possible affected cards there is no way PSA would ever issue a comprehensive flip list. Ultimately only those cards that can shown to be doctored (along the lines of what has been shown on BO) will ever be dealt with. The rest will stay in their existing slabs and continue to be regarded as the real deal by those who are not aware of this situation. If submitted for review PSA has no incentive to change the original opinion, because doing so would undermine the perception of their brand.

If you have any doubts about this scenario coming to pass just go back a few years and see what happened to the majority of the “late model” vintage cellos with stars showing that made it into slabs and are still being bought, sold and exchanged in the hobby today.

This isn’t like Johnson & Johnson and the Tylenol problem in the 80s.

Last edited by 70ToppsFanatic; 06-02-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:55 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

there's a reason why I have never and will never purchase from PWCC. They have always been scammers and whether you want to believe it or not, they WILL ALWAYS be scammers. So once this all blows over and all the idiots who were blatantly bidding on not only shilled auctions but altered cards to boot and who are now complaining about said auctions because now they have an overpriced altered card,well guess what? they WILL be back buying from PWCC again lol, why? because people are idiots. PWCC will keep on doing all the shady things they have been doing this whole time, why you ask?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

As long as there's money to be made, there will always be scammers. As long as there are consignments services, the scammers will hide behind them and when fraud is exposed the consignors will play dumb and pass the blame onto the consignees and the process will repeat itself until people stop paying the exorbitant prices these shilled auctions are selling for.

Also, please tell me that there isn't a single person that didn't see one of the TPG companies being corrupt lol. I mean, they are an open door for corruption! All these idiots who swear by PSA are the same ones who are gonna be crying when their PSA 8 1951 Mantle they paid almost 6 figures for is really an altered card worth $5k lol

As a side note, I can't help but get the feeling this situation is the first of many of the dominoes to fall which will in turn burst this massive bubble our hobby is in.

Last edited by vintagehofrookies; 06-02-2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: have more to add
Old 06-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehofrookies View Post
there's a reason why I have never and will never purchase from PWCC. They have always been scammers and whether you want to believe it or not, they WILL ALWAYS be scammers. So once this all blows over and all the idiots who were blatantly bidding on not only shilled auctions but altered cards to boot and who are now complaining about said auctions because now they have an overpriced altered card,well guess what? they WILL be back buying from PWCC again lol, why? because people are idiots. PWCC will keep on doing all the shady things they have been doing this whole time, why you ask?

As long as there's money to be made, there will always be scammers. As long as there are consignments services, the scammers will hide behind them and when fraud is exposed the consignors will play dumb and pass the blame onto the consignees and the process will repeat itself until people stop paying the exorbitant prices these shilled auctions are selling for.

As a side note, I can't help but get the feeling this situation is the first of many of the dominoes to fall which will in turn burst this massive bubble our hobby is in.
15 years of selling altered cards, likely from multiple sources not just one, and we get a golly we're sorry about all the Moser cards.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-02-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
15 years of selling altered cards, likely from multiple sources not just one, and we get a golly we're sorry about all the Moser cards.
Greed is the real backbone of our hobby
Old 06-02-2019, 10:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Greed is the real backbone of our hobby
The root of all evil. Truer words...

Old 06-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Also, please tell me that there isn't a single person that didn't see one of the TPG companies being corrupt lol. I mean, they are an open door for corruption! All these idiots who swear by PSA are the same ones who are gonna be crying when their PSA 8 1951 Mantle they paid almost 6 figures for is really an altered card worth $5k lol

I have to agree wholeheartedly, and that's why my fat fanny is so chaffed. I knew in my gut they were doing this all along, and after seeing the facts, now the picture is very clear.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:33 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogstu99 View Post
I’m buying puts on CLCT tomorrow.

I can see this leading to PSA needing to repurchase altered cards that are likely worth a fraction of their original value.

Even if they weren’t in cahoots with PWCC, it has been proven that their grading capabilities are horrendous. Reputation completely tarnished with a high likelihood that their future grading revenues decline significantly.

And if they were in cahoots, this ship is going to sink even quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you’ll find that CLCT options have bid/ask spreads wide enough to navigate a VLCC through and, even with those spreads, the volumes available are really small.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:50 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Most investors will avoid like the plague because they as a whole, I know I do despise uncertainty…… Too many big-time people own big cards in their holders PSA will be fine…… Short term glitch yes correct Correction in the market? I can see that big time…… Best time to buy is when the prices tank…… Verify first then trust… Until court in plastic holders pay me a quarterly dividend I will avoid

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-03-2019 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
We are obviously very aware of the issues surrounding the cards submitted to us by Gary Moser (how could we not be, with all the threads on Blowout). First, we want to apologize to all those who have been affected by (us being caught with) the purchasing of trimmed or altered cards. We are not disappearing or burying our heads in the sand about this (since we have or will be contacted by law enforcement). Next, we are presently working with both PSA and law enforcement (who contacted us and made indicated it would be in our best interest to cooporate) to ensure that all affected cards are brought to light and this information makes its way to our customers. We understand that we (were caught and) are responsible for our part in this mess and will do all that we can (as far as we HAVE to) to make it right in connection with Moser-submitted cards as well as other submitters who may have altered cards of which we auctioned. We understand how difficult it is to be patient through this process (because heck, the wheels of justice grind slowly) but we are working through this as quickly as we can (because heck, the wheels of justice grind slowly) at the direction of counsel and the appropriate authorities (re all previous comments). Finally, in response to these recent findings (and knowing a full investigation is coming and for damage control as best we can at this point), we are no longer selling any Moser-submitted cards (though we may decide to continue selling cards submitted by others, including those we might not be able to "prove" were submitted by someone else on Moser's behalf).

We are very sorry for the trouble that has occurred (that we find ourselves in) and will work to regain your trust (gullibility).
Is my parsing of the statement (in bold) about right?
Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Nice try, but how many people have been screwed buying this crap. This will now have a hard impact on the hobby. You turned into a greedy pig and I hope you go to lockup for it. Your a disgrace.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:53 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

For the non-lawyers here is the statement translated from legalese.

"Nobody will work harder than me to find the killer." -- O.J. Simpson

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-03-2019, 03:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Finally, in response to these recent findings, we are no longer selling any Moser-submitted cards.
Springer voice: "And the lie detector determined.... that was a lie."
Old 06-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Springer voice: "And the lie detector determined.... that was a lie."
It's incredible. Every single thing he says is untrue, it seems. Again, it takes the diligence of collectors to call him out.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-03-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The one true statement he made was that we will hold him responsible.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The one true statement he made was that we will hold him responsible.
It's uncanny, in the very statement where he supposedly is trying to come clean about Moser, by disowning him, he misrepresents that he is no longer selling his cards, when he was trying to. You can't make this up.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-03-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
It's uncanny, in the very statement where he supposedly is trying to come clean about Moser, by disowning him, he misrepresents that he is no longer selling his cards, when he was trying to. You can't make this up.
I reiterate:

Yes, I have a new favorite GIF and yes I am ten years old...WTF do you expect, I play with baseball cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-03-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:56 AM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
You say this often. How many times does a person say they need to regain my trust? This is the way a junkie talks, because they are sick.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com

Last edited by edjs; 06-04-2019 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 AM

This a crying shame. I don’t think there can be more than a handful of these out there, and now there is evidence that one of these beauties has been tainted. While no alteration is acceptable, some cards should be untouchable (pun intended)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0E435205-1B47-4DD0-89AD-59367A859FE4.jpg (5.3 KB, 274 views)
Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Now working to regain your trust.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
This a crying shame. I don’t think there can be more than a handful of these out there, and now there is evidence that one of these beauties has been tainted. While no alteration is acceptable, some cards should be untouchable (pun intended)
These people don't give a damn, Ryan, as long as they make a dollar.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Glad mine came back from grading before the scandal hit. Note also the even rarer F*ckface variation!

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 06-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Jeremy W.

And the ever-elusive PSA 11. Sell now!
Old 06-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Glad mine came back from grading before the scandal hit. Note also the even rarer F*ckface variation!

That Moser fellow looks a lot like my neighbor. I always had my suspicions about him, and looking now at his shrubs, those suspicions have been confirmed.

Brian
Old 06-05-2019, 05:47 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
That Moser fellow looks a lot like my neighbor. I always had my suspicions about him, and looking now at his shrubs, those suspicions have been confirmed.

Brian
Brian,

Is it also a very scarce BLANK back version?
Old 06-05-2019, 05:52 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Brian,

oh, there's a back my handsome friend! Don't worry about that
Old 06-05-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Brian,

I'm not sure, because I cannot see into my neighbor's back yard. My guess, however, is that the shrubbery back there is also expertly trimmed.

Brian
Old 06-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Another Look N See with 45 45 centering
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2545

Old 06-08-2019, 06:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

The freaking thing was a PSA 9 HE SOLD less than 7 months earlier if I'm reading correctly. Now try to tell me he didnt know it was the same card. Wow

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-08-2019, 06:59 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

The Musial is worthy of it's own thread
Old 06-08-2019, 07:06 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I bumped the old one.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:20 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
I bumped the old one.
Wonder who will bump the PSA forum one, lol.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:23 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, they bumped the 15-year old Moser thread on the Set Registry board and it's still there, but that board gets no traffic.

And PSA knows that deleting the old threads would be a negative in the case of a real investigation. I can see them locking them, but not deleting them. I'm sure someone has already screen-captured or archived them.

In fact, maybe the owner will. He just posted on the Blowout board that he is aware and returning the card.

Last edited by swarmee; 06-08-2019 at 07:25 AM.