NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Yes, I didn't really understand that post.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:21 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Centering is doctored ALL THE TIME. How many hundreds of the cards exposed on BO recently have one border trimmed, to emulate the other side? The doctors are hacking off large portions of the thicker border, simply to even them up.

PSA can't (or won't) catch it, even though the altered cards are undersized. Check out the Johnny Adams Jr. thread on Blowout for many examples of this process...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...333320&page=10
Easier to START with a centered card was my point

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-07-2019, 04:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Easier to START with a centered card was my point

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Perhaps a tad easier I suppose, but these guys have absolutely no trouble getting their hack jobs authenticated and numerically graded by PSA.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
One big note here is that PWCC has plenty of competition in several other auction houses. They always seemed to have 'nice stuff', but maybe that was because they were enabling the doctors to bring it to market. If that distinction of having the best stuff goes away, it would be easy for folks to walk away from PWCC. There is nothing to lose. And as soon as the buyers stop buying, the consignors will stop consigning.
Focusing on this portion of your response I would agree that the quickest change possible is possible here, but people have to vote with their cards and their cash.

If the cards start going to the REA's, Sterling's, LOTG's etc... the dollars will follow. Likewise if the dollars stop going to PWCC consignments the consignments will go elsewhere. This COULD be an incredibly quick process if ethics outweighed money and "stuff." Even here on Net54 which is pretty close to the epicenter of the scandal we have people still consigning and buying from bad actors. Every sale and consignment decreases the chance that the guilty parties have to find a new way to make a living.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 PM
Scott Russell

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 12-07-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Focusing on this portion of your response I would agree that the quickest change possible is possible here, but people have to vote with their cards and their cash.

If the cards start going to the REA's, Sterling's, LOTG's etc... the dollars will follow. Likewise if the dollars stop going to PWCC consignments the consignments will go elsewhere. This COULD be an incredibly quick process if ethics outweighed money and "stuff." Even here on Net54 which is pretty close to the epicenter of the scandal we have people still consigning and buying from bad actors. Every sale and consignment decreases the chance that the guilty parties have to find a new way to make a living.
Tell me, who are the good actors?
Old 12-07-2019, 11:00 PM
Br1an N0Iff

There are people who deal with others on this board with honesty and integrity. I consider them “good actors”.

There are people who have gone silent since this scandal has broke who used to post quite often on here........
Old 12-08-2019, 06:45 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:

Even here on Net54 which is pretty close to the epicenter of the scandal we have people still consigning and buying from bad actors.
Not to mention doing bulk submissions to PSA.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:05 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
It’s all about the money....They still perceive PSA slabs around their cards will bring them more money when they sell.

PSA has a Teflon Business people flock to them it doesn’t matter how many altered cards they slab. Pop and Registry have them hooked like a trailer.

PSA has been smart having yet to address any of the underlying issues with their company grading tens of thousands of bad altered cards. They know people are hooked and many rely/need them for their business ....they won’t bite the hand that feeds them. This continues to prove itself day in and day out based on submission and altered cards in their holders showing up in the Major Auction Houses.
Right, Wrong or Indifferent........ PSA they’re here to stay only getting stronger.

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-08-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:19 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Psa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
It’s all about the money....They still perceive PSA slabs around their cards will bring them more money when they sell.

PSA has a Teflon Business people flock to them it doesn’t matter how many altered cards they slab. Pop and Registry have them hooked like a trailer.

PSA has been smart having yet to address any of the underlying issues with their company grading tens of thousands of bad altered cards. They know people are hooked and many rely/need them for their business ....they won’t bite the hand that feeds them. This continues to prove itself day in and day out based on submission and altered cards in their holders showing up in the Major Auction Houses.
Right, Wrong or Indifferent........ PSA they’re here to stay only getting stronger.
I agree that PSA is getting stronger. A few months ago I was at a card show and I was looking at an SGC 30 T206 Walter Johnson. The seller was asking $450, and I thought that was a decent price, but I decided not to buy it. A couple of months later, I went to another show and looked up the dealer and asked him if he still had the Johnson, and I planned on buying it. However, he had sent it to PSA and it came back as a PSA 2. The dealer told me that now that it was in a PSA holder he was asking $650, so of course, I didn't buy it.

Same card, same grade, different grading company, but $200 higher asking price. As a buyer, that formula doesn't add up for me.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:21 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Tell me, who are the good actors?
I wasn't being cryptic I named three that seem like "good guys" to me and I'm sure there are others.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I don't trim my cards. I don't add color to my cards. Let's speak hypothetically. Because there are criminals living in my town, am I supposed to move?? Some of you really need to get off the holier than thou attitude.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 12-08-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I don't trim my cards. I don't add color to my cars. Because there are criminals living in my town, am I supposed to move?? Some of you really need to get off the holier than thou attitude.
People are nice enough to leave your silly thread alone you should do the same.

Do you support those criminals like you support PSA? Maybe you should pull your head out of the sand and see PSA is part of the problem and people like you who keep submitting to them are also part of the problem.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Robert Williams

I never told Gary Moser to trim cards and make millions. Meanwhile, I am struggling to make $5-$10 flipping a card. Yet I am supposed to stop submitting my raw cards to PSA because of what Gary Moser did? The soapbox mentality of some of you get old.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I wasn't being cryptic I named three that seem like "good guys" to me and I'm sure there are others.
You did better than Diogenes, he couldn't come up with one.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

In my opinion, I don't think it's reasonable or fair to expect people to take big hits to their livelihood in order to make a statement.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-08-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:34 AM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
I never told Gary Moser to trim cards and make millions. Meanwhile, I am struggling to make $5-$10 flipping a card. Yet I am supposed to stop submitting my raw cards to PSA because of what Gary Moser did? The soapbox mentality of some of you get old.
No, not "because of what Gary Moser did." Not at all. You stop submitting to PSA because of what PSA is accused of doing.

The point is that 'we', the community, not the lawyers, the courts or the FBI, can collectively decide the outcome of this by exercising our ability to choose who we want to deal with and who we don't.

It don't always agree with the reasoning or outcome, but this is happening everywhere we turn today. The press has even coined a term for it: 'Cancel Culture'.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 12-08-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In my opinion, I don't think it's reasonable or fair to expect people to take big hits to their livelihood in order to make a statement.
I agree when talking about REAL tax paying honest dealers. BLEEP the dishonest dealers and the scabs that are not paying taxes that sell a lot of cards.

I am sure Bobby who sells a lot of cards is a honest licensed tax paying dealer because he would never be a criminal.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I don't trim my cards. I don't add color to my cards. Let's speak hypothetically. Because there are criminals living in my town, am I supposed to move?? Some of you really need to get off the holier than thou attitude.
I agree with you on many aspects but let this thread be about bashing the bad apples lol you’re not one of them.
I have nothing against you for submitting to PSA I don’t think you’re the problem one bit :-)

My points in my previous post are direct,
to the point, and exactly what it is. That’s all I don’t begrudge anyone.

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-08-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Some of you really need to get off the holier than thou attitude.
It's not a matter of holiness, Bobby. It's about principles. Your continued support of this company sends the message that their aiding and abetting the fraud being perpetrated on the hobby, not to mention the denial thereof, is a perfectly acceptable business practice.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:46 AM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Quote:
It's not a matter of holiness, Bobby. It's about principles. Your continued support of this company sends the message that their aiding and abetting the fraud being perpetrated on the hobby, not to mention the denial thereof, is a perfectly acceptable business practice.
Well said, Ed.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Do you object to REA, Heritage, and every other auction house continuing to sell PSA graded cards?

Old 12-08-2019, 09:51 AM
je.sse @rnot

The attacks directed at Bobby are ridiculous. There are only 3 grading companies and they're all part of this scandal. Until someone decides to start a new company they're all we have. Many collectors, myself included, aren't going to start only buying raw cards.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:02 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Do you object to REA, Heritage, and every other auction house continuing to sell PSA graded cards?
There's a difference between selling cards that are already slabbed, and continuing to send massive submissions to a known corrupt entity. The latter is far worse, IMO.

I do believe that the large auction houses should do more research to identify potentially tainted cards and not rely solely on the slab. I also believe they should ban consignments from known card doctors and questionable submitters.

I also believe (when a tainted card is outed) that they should reveal the names of the consignors... both to the Feds and publicly. These people need to be called out, similar to how auction houses publicly identify reneging bidders. Why they continue to protect criminal submitters/consignors is beyond me.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
There's a difference between selling cards that are already slabbed, and continuing to send massive submissions to a known corrupt entity. The latter is far worse, IMO.

I do believe that the large auction houses should do more research to identify potentially tainted cards and not rely solely on the slab. I also believe they should ban consignments from known card doctors and questionable submitters.

I also believe (when a tainted card is outed) that they should reveal the names of the consignors... both to the Feds and publicly. These people need to be called out, similar to how auction houses publicly identify reneging bidders. Why they continue to protect criminal submitters/consignors is beyond me.
So dealers whose livelihood depends on submitting cards should stop, and they (and their families) should take a major financial hit?

What's the difference, by the way? Selling slabbed card also perpetuates the system, keeps the cycle going.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-08-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
I don't think we can condemn selling cards already in our possession. I have several myself. It's the continued enthusiastic support of PSA in the light of the recent disclosures that troubles me.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:25 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
The attacks directed at Bobby are ridiculous. There are only 3 grading companies and they're all part of this scandal. Until someone decides to start a new company they're all we have. Many collectors, myself included, aren't going to start only buying raw cards.
I dont agree with how bobby handles things in a lot of other areas for a number of reasons but in terms of submitting to PSA, attacking him for submitting to PSA is silly. Of course he and anyone who doesnt want to lose their shirt will submit to them. Unless others are going to pay our mortgages and kids tuition etc.

At least at this point, it is my understanding there have been no arrests and again, zero _________ (im sure you can fill in the blank) against PSA on this issue. (again correct me if i am wrong)

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-08-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

So dealers whose livelihood depends on submitting cards should stop, and they (and their families) should take a major financial hit?

What's the difference, by the way? Selling slabbed card also perpetuates the system, keeps the cycle going.
Regarding the question in bold...

Yes! If they stopped submitting to this particular enterprise, another more ethical competitor would inevitably surface. Sometimes you need to actually take a stand to make things better.

I am sure there were quite a few honest employees at Enron who took a similar financial hit (to name just one other corrupt company). Sometimes temporary setbacks need to happen for the greater good to prevail.

So my answer is a resounding YES.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Cards that PWCC has sold over the last few years are starting to show up elsewhere for sale. Upon looking at sales history of a particular card REA has up for auction, it was last sold by PWCC. What are we going to do? Heck if I know. For now, not bid on any PWCC auctions. But what about others sold by PWCC that are filtering out elsewhere? Hopefully, the powers that be get on the moral bandwagon and be extra careful from now on - probably the best that can realistically be done at this point.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Regarding the question in bold...

Yes! If they stopped submitting to this particular enterprise, another more ethical competitor would inevitably surface. Sometimes you need to actually take a stand to make things better.

I am sure there were quite a few honest employees at Enron who took a similar financial hit (to name just one other corrupt company). Sometimes temporary setbacks need to happen for the greater good to prevail.

So my answer is a resounding YES.
So honest people and their families should suffer because PSA is incompetent/corrupt? Sorry, I am not with you on this one.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Cards that PWCC has sold over the last few years are starting to show up elsewhere for sale. Upon looking at sales history of a particular card REA has up for auction, it was last sold by PWCC. What are we going to do? Heck if I know. For now, not bid on any PWCC auctions. But what about others sold by PWCC that are filtering out elsewhere? Hopefully, the powers that be get on the moral bandwagon and be extra careful from now on - probably the best that can realistically be done at this point.
PWCC = tip of iceberg.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Ed Hans

Quote:
So honest people and their families should suffer because PSA is incompetent/corrupt? Sorry, I am not with you on this one.
If people continue to support them, what incentive do they have to acknowledge their role in the fraud and to address the problems. We are allowing it to be business as usual for them. PSA has essentially thumbed their noses at the hobby. The only way they can be held accountable is to withhold business from them.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:46 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
If people continue to support them, what incentive do they have to acknowledge their role in the fraud and to address the problems. We are allowing it to be business as usual for them. PSA has essentially thumbed their noses at the hobby. The only way they can be held accountable is to withhold business from them.
While I agree...if every member of net54 refused to use PSA...it wouldn't even register with PSA...imo.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Regardless of how many dealers, auction houses, or collectors stop sending cards to PSA there will be new dealers/auction houses, and collectors sending cards to them.

PSA will never acknowledge their role in grading tens of thousands of altered cards . Their volume has never been higher.

Why? Money #1 not Hobby. People are convinced cards in their holders are worth more altered or not, doesn’t matter.. How many altered cards reside in collectors collections that have been bought privately or submitted themselves....the possibilities are endless. PSA knows this will blow over....others will take the fall.

I feel what you’re saying.....it makes total sense...this industry has never made sense logic loses out when the perception of money and greed are paramount, that’s all that matters to many...the bottom line.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Rob

Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman, Robert Duvall, Jon Voight..

All I can do is buy the card and not the holder. I guess I could go collect Beatles records or something. Robert
Old 12-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Scott Russell

If you had to guess, what percentage of collectors do you think actually know about the scandal?

Old 12-08-2019, 07:25 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
If you had to guess, what percentage of collectors do you think actually know about the scandal?
well i think a larger percentage know about them that are paying $5000 plus a year versus less....or maybe its a another number but you know what i mean

someone paying at total $400 a year on 7 cards on ebay much less of a chance

but yeah..it all comes down to the buyers......if people stop buying cards in certain holders..thats where the impetus is....not people submitting them or selling them....if no buyers...the rest will take care of itself.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:27 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Less than 20%
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 12-08-2019, 07:34 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
PSA only makes money when cards are submitted to them for (re)grading. That's the difference.

A card is what it is, whether it is raw, in a PSA slab or in a penny sleeve. And that holds whether it is altered or not. I think we are now realizing that the PSA premium is not all that we (collectively) thought it was.
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 12-08-2019, 08:04 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Less than 20%
my opinion is WAY less. When dealers at major shows don't know what you're talking about it just hasn't penetrated.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
PSA only makes money when cards are submitted to them for (re)grading. That's the difference.

A card is what it is, whether it is raw, in a PSA slab or in a penny sleeve. And that holds whether it is altered or not. I think we are now realizing that the PSA premium is not all that we (collectively) thought it was.
I was going to answer myself (after REA) since Peter's question was in response was to my comment. But you did it for me.

Thanks.... that is word-for-word what I was going to say.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-08-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
my opinion is WAY less. When dealers at major shows don't know what you're talking about it just hasn't penetrated.
Agree.... 5% - 7% is my estimate of total collectors who are aware. Even less, if you factor in any real knowledge of how deep this runs.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I was going to answer myself (after REA) since Peter's question was in response was to my comment. But you did it for me.

Thanks.... that is word-for-word what I was going to say.
PSA makes money when its cards sell for good value and people are encouraged to keep submitting, so I disagree with you again.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:49 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Agree.... 5% - 7% is my estimate of total collectors who are aware. Even less, if you factor in any real knowledge of how deep this runs.
I doubt 5% of net54 members know how deep it runs. I sure don't.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:31 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
PSA makes money when its cards sell for good value and people are encouraged to keep submitting, so I disagree with you again.
PSA doesn't make any money when "people are encouraged to keep submitting". They only make money when people actually submit the cards.

A PSA entombed card can sell 100 times, increasing in value by 20% each time it sells - and PSA does not make a dime off of those transactions. Nada. Zilch.

They are not like the government who taxes you on each transaction.
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 12-09-2019, 04:36 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
No, not "because of what Gary Moser did." Not at all. You stop submitting to PSA because of what PSA is accused of doing.

The point is that 'we', the community, not the lawyers, the courts or the FBI, can collectively decide the outcome of this by exercising our ability to choose who we want to deal with and who we don't.

It don't always agree with the reasoning or outcome, but this is happening everywhere we turn today. The press has even coined a term for it: 'Cancel Culture'.
The press itself has become 'Cancer Culture'
Old 12-09-2019, 09:34 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
People are nice enough to leave your silly thread alone you should do the same.

Do you support those criminals like you support PSA? Maybe you should pull your head out of the sand and see PSA is part of the problem and people like you who keep submitting to them are also part of the problem.
I wonder how many would be happy to see people supporting/buying from drug dealers in their neighborhood?
With that comes gun crime, B&E's, robberies and a whole host of other issues that just keeps snowballing over and over again.

It might not be the proper analogy, but one should get the idea, I would think?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
right, blithering morons who know about the billion $$$ scam but support it because they obviously lack education. It's absurd and laughable how people can turn a blind eye to an obvious scam. They can't stop popping. it's way too exciting to pop, I guess and spend there $$$ on idiotic things.

They will be eating cat food during retirement is my guess because they wasted their entire life without a backbone and floated aimlessly through life like a spineless amoeba.

Enjoy looking at your fake, made for slab cards, eating your cat food...
Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I wonder how many would be happy to see people supporting/buying from drug dealers in their neighborhood?
With that comes gun crime, B&E's, robberies and a whole host of other issues that just keeps snowballing over and over again.

It might not be the proper analogy, but one should get the idea, I would think?
No, it's actually very good analogy...
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I doubt 5% of net54 members know how deep it runs. I sure don't.
but you are a pretty active collector like myself...you can imagine how deep, right? It runs as deep as you can imagine.

All I know is that in 1980, cards from 1906 1933, 1954 1955 etc were not in pristine condition...Almost EVER. Now you see made for slab mockeries all over the place. IT runs deep my friend.... and for a LONG TIME. Cards spinning in and out of those slabs being doctored along the way...ALL OF THEM PERIOD