NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Pete Sycks

Calling the moderator of a vintage baseball card website an idiot or ignorant is never a good sign.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
18 posts and already his head is being called for......Not a record but damn impressive none the less.
Even Adrian made it to 1000 posts
Old 04-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
The Cobb in the screw down is an obvious fake. I would guess 90% of "local shops" would be clueless to the Cobb. "Estate sales" turn out to be fakes more times than not. The OP seems to be quite arrogant, shouldn't his name be posted too?
Yeah, I was kind of letting the name thing fly since it's only me he is calling an idiot. His name is Steve and his last name is after the S in his User id.....He'll get over it....not a big deal. Myself and many board members consult with the grading companies, on their behalf and on our specialties, but how is he to know?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
Calling the moderator of a vintage baseball card website an idiot or ignorant is never a good sign.
I shall make a note of that in case MY brain completely shuts off. It could happen you know. If I could only think of an example......
Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Even Adrian made it to 1000 posts
Yes, but he did it in a week and a half.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yeah, I was kind of letting the name thing fly since it's only me he is calling an idiot. His name is Steve and his last name is after the S in his User id.....He'll get over it....not a big deal. Myself and many board members consult with the grading companies, on their behalf and on our specialties, but how is he to know?
Leon. I'm not trying to be ass. I have had so many different opinions from multiple large companies that had multiple cobb cards t206 and others that all stated same thing. Tired of people giving opinions without touching. I'm not trying to scam anyone I had a simple question if real by sgc grading where can I find pricing. I didn't want to post picture because how piss poor the picture is but did it after multiple request. If it's real great. If not then fine but no where did I ask for input on that you cannot tell me that by looking at bad quality picture you can tell anything I trust the store owner with multiple cobbs graded and others whom have touched it and looked at it I should have just waited until grading to ask question.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrubinski View Post
Leon. I'm not trying to be ass. I have had so many different opinions from multiple large companies that had multiple cobb cards t206 and others that all stated same thing. Tired of people giving opinions without touching. I'm not trying to scam anyone I had a simple question if real by sgc grading where can I find pricing. I didn't want to post picture because how piss poor the picture is but did it after multiple request. If it's real great. If not then fine but no where did I ask for input on that you cannot tell me that by looking at bad quality picture you can tell anything I trust the store owner with multiple cobbs graded and others whom have touched it and looked at it I should have just waited until grading to ask question.
As to name I didn't know it wasn't showing
Old 04-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Just to be clear only this forum has claimed fake I have standing offers from local major collectors
Old 04-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Just to be clear only this forum has claimed fake I have standing offers from local major collectors
Then if I were you, I would sell it ASAP
Old 04-21-2014, 06:16 PM
pete ullman

I'd bet my dollars on the mass opinion(s) of this board any day of the week.

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-21-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:17 PM

No the only thing that matters is a grading company grading not this or any other site
Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Steve, the edges of the card are way too white. And When corners that are originally square, have rounding over time, they don't round so cleanly. And I am not even getting to the erased paper loss at the bottom of the back where the word "Reprint" used to be. I am 100% sure but of course I don't expect you to believe me. Call SGC and ask anyone there about me.....especially the graders or the customer service manager, Earl. I admit I still make mistakes but this isn't going to be one of them.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Mike

Quote:
Steve, The experts you have contacted use more than one of the board members here as a consultant. Whether you know it or not, you WILL NOT find a more knowledgeable crew of guys ANYWHERE. PERIOD. What knowledge cannot be culled from this board, died and was buried with the printers of the cards we collect. Happy Collecting.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:23 PM

There is zero eraser points I can guarantee that
Old 04-21-2014, 06:24 PM

I don't collect just wanted one little piece info
Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
No the only thing that matters is a grading company grading not this or any other site
And with this statement your ignorance is proven.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Taking your cards to a local dealer who deals with the shiny stuff is a waste of time. 90% of them don't even know what to look for, when dealing with vintage. This place is your best bet of getting true and accurate opinions when dealing with vintage. If people here say your cards are bogus, then they are. It's that simple.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:27 PM

If it's fake then no issue. I don't know enough either way but when done either real or fake it is what it is but the black marks you see on back are not on card and the card is all basically same color. But again that's sgc or psa to determine if found real planned on psa to verify
Old 04-21-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
And with this statement your ignorance is proven.
Where did I claim to be a collector and this is why card collecting is becoming a thing of the past
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
There is zero eraser points I can guarantee that
That is the only part I am not 100% sure of since it's hard to tell from the scan. But the authenticity is not a question. It's not even close. And again, that is just my opinion (and others in this thread). I have bought my fair share of bad cards over the years but over time have done it less often..... You will get your SGC answer soon and this won't be in your top 1000 learning lessons in life. It's just not that big of a deal. And one other thing. That card in a vg grade is about a 9k-12k card, with a common back as that one is. The Martens back is one of two known and would probably go for a little more.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM

Maybe I'm erasing the population reports wrong but psa shows 1 of yours and none of the star bread. And sgc only shows 1 &2. Of the star. But either way first things first see if real or not
Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 PM

Reading. Autocorrect
Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM

http://www.psacard.com/pop/Detail.aspx?c=35389
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Maybe I'm erasing the population reports wrong but psa shows 1 of yours and none of the star bread. And sgc only shows 1 &2. Of the star. But either way first things first see if real or not
Yours is called D304 General Baking (not Star), mine is called D304 Martens Bakery. There are 2 Cobbs known (that I am aware of) with a Martens back.

Here is the PSA one you speak of...

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=717&lotNo=81077

I won a half a dozen or more of the other Martens backs in that HA auction. But that is only the 2nd Martens backed Cobb I am currently aware of.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 PM

If this is real I'll have it appraised before I sell it if it's fake I have a wobbly table that will be fixed
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 PM
Mike

Steve,

I have a question for you. You said that there were about 15 cards in "a box of "junk". Leon as correctly evaluated a "real" Cobb in that condition as a $9k-$12k card. The Ruth you mentioned in your original post if it was "real" and in similar condition would be another couple grand. Given the value of those two cards and your admitted lack of knowledge, the other 13 cards may be an additional stack o' cash. We are talking about $15K up to god knows what. Why would someone know enough to put such "valuable' cards in to screw-downs and then throw them in the bottom of a junk box?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Skrubinski, for Leon's card, both psa and sgc each show 1 graded. For your back, a General Baking back, sgc shows 8 graded and psa does show any specifically (though there are 2 with the back not identified). While the General Baking is not the most common back, it is also far from the most difficult. I would honestly suggest you take real consideration into what everyone on this board is telling you. Everyone is trying to be as helpful as possible and ultimately save you the $40+ per card grading fee that sgc will charge.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 PM

It's already being graded. If it's fake it's fake.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 PM

So based on all the negative statements I should assume the following are reprints as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.2 KB, 433 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM

And this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.4 KB, 429 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Steve,

I have a question for you. You said that there were about 15 cards in "a box of "junk". Leon as correctly evaluated a "real" Cobb in that condition as a $9k-$12k card. The Ruth you mentioned in your original post if it was "real" and in similar condition would be another couple grand. Given the value of those two cards and your admitted lack of knowledge, the other 13 cards may be an additional stack o' cash. We are talking about $15K up to god knows what. Why would someone know enough to put such "valuable' cards in to screw-downs and then throw them in the bottom of a junk box?
This came from estate never know
Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Mike

Steve,

Out of curiosity, without going into which sets they are from or what condition they are in, what are some of the other player's names on the other 13 cards?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
And this one
Or this one either
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.8 KB, 515 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM

Few more pics. Yes I know prob fake but I will wait for sga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.7 KB, 511 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 PM

181 back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.6 KB, 514 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

LOLOLOL. This one is a world class moron.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 PM

Last example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.8 KB, 513 views)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 PM

Why? A question was asked I'm responding. Don't like don't read
Old 04-21-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
LOLOLOL. This one is a world class moron.
And I can cure ignorance can't cure being an idiot
Old 04-21-2014, 07:19 PM

No comment about these. They were in same box
Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
And I can cure ignorance can't cure being an idiot
You're terminally afflicted with both.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 PM
David McDonald

Skrubinski don't know it yet but he's about to be toast.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Talking about clicks. Lol. You can attack me but I can't retort. I just looked at a posting done by Leon with the same rounded corners that my 181 has and I am being told that rounded corners mean reprints. Wow
Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Talking about clicks. Lol. You can attack me but I can't retort. I just looked at a posting done by Leon with the same rounded corners that my 181 has and I am being told that rounded corners mean reprints. Wow
They are all fake but I am most positive about the original D304.

Sorry meant thread about Lou g that Leon is in
Jeffrey Lichtman

Lol
Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 PM

That makes no spence the Lou g. In your other thread has same rounded corners as my 181 but you claim fake on mine. Oh well I'm just glad I'm not a collector this forum is biased and completely predatory
Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Steve, they are 100% fakes, it's okay. You tried to come on a vintage card site and get them by the experts.

We're only kidding with you, we're having a party. You haven't been here very long and we're breaking your balls, and you're getting f*cking fresh. We're sorry, we didn't mean to offend you.....

Now go home and get your f*ckin' shinebox.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM

I read this thread from the first page and can only laugh... You really shouldn't question members of this forum. Most of them are the most knowledgeable of their type of collections. Shit, I own two D304's Cobb's and many other cards.... and I think yours is NG. I hope I am wrong as I will buy it!

Tags
d304, ty cobb