NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Default postal money order question

Posted By: tom mcconnell

i have sent many postal money orders out over the years and have recieved just as many .when i have sold an item i have allways sent items out right away when i recieved a postal mo and never waited for it to clear and when i send out mo the people i have sent them out to have always sent items pronto .but lately had 2 people say the bank said they needed 5 days for they to clear has something changed ?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

it's possible to forge money orders; perhaps the recipients aren't well evrsed in what an authentic oney order loks like so they wait until the money is actually in their account?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jwondowski

The post office will cash them immediately

Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Administrator

i always thought posatal mo were just like cash i didnt know people actuly forged us postal mos

Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

If I remember correctly you can put a stop payment in on Money Orders without having to post a bond as you would if it was a certified or cahier's check.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator

so what is the best one to send so theres no waiting ?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

paypal?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Counterfeits have been a problem the last few years and some banks have stated this to their customers. The problem that was happening, is more people were willing to do online banking so there was less money orders coming into the banks causing the banks to limit there procedures of checking them giving counterfeit thieves an opening not to get caught. The banks have finally placed new procedures on how to handle money orders and it depends how large the amount is. This really depends on the bank and how trained their staff is and if it needs five days to clear or if they can make a decision that day they will.

but yes as stated above "The post office will cash them immediately"

Jimmy

Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

As to being able to put a stop on a postal money order, I don't think you can do this. I mailed a postal money order a couple years back to pay for an item, and it never arrived, having got lost in the mail. I went to the post office, and they told me, that I had to wait a certain amount of time (I believe somewhere between 30 and 60 days) from when it was purchased to fill out a form to be able to get your money back. The post office would then research to make sure the MO wasn't cashed, and I got my money back in check form about a month later. The other important thing, was that the post office required both the Top stub from the money order, and the original post office receipt for when you purchased it to do this. Lose either and I am pretty sure you would be SOL.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Orders.......that's why they're green..........
No hassle and if you're shipping something, cash it to use for shipping it....

Old 02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Tom is right, but you have to get the sellers to cash the MO at the PO, not the bank.

The Post Office will cash it upon presentment. Sounds like some banks are falling back on some "funds available" definition in their demand deposit agreement.

I like getting a USPS money order, 'cause I can take it to the post office and use it for the shipping, just like Tom said.

If you repeat purchases with the '5 day wait' guys, ask them to present the MO for payment at the Post Office, where they can get cash immediately.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

My bank here in the US won't even cash an International Postal Money Order (US dollars) and won't accept it for deposit either. One of those MUST be cashed at your local post office.
Regarding a USPS Postal Money Order, my bank will place an 11 business day hold on them. So it is always best to just cash all of them at your local post office.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Money orders are forged so it's plausible that a bank might be careful with them. Though I would think most to all banks are well versed in how to identify fakes.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Addie_Joss

Bank money orders take a few days to clear but there should be no reason a postal money order would need to.