NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Default What does GAI have to see on a card before it falls to poor condition

Posted By: warshawlaw

Just to be fair and balanced, GAI has its snafus too, IMHO consisting of overgrading cards. Just what sort of destruction does it take to make this "fair" T227 into a "poor" T227? Edited to say: that ain't a cloud behind Willie.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6233690288&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1>

Old 12-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shannon

Hey Adam, thats not a PSA graded card what gives? Leon please delete Adams post, this is uncalled for.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Global FAIR (1.5)

May exhibit several major flaws including tears and missing surface stock.

Global POOR (1)

May include many major flaws such as missing pieces and similar, obvious defects.

Edited to add:

sev•er•al (sĕv'ər-əl, sĕv'rəl)
adj.
1.Being of a number more than two or three but not many

man•y (mĕn'ē)
adj., more (môr, mōr), most (mōst).
1.Amounting to or consisting of a large indefinite number

large (lärj)
adj., larg•er, larg•est.
1.Of greater than average size, extent, quantity, or amount; big.

Further edited to add:

Since in order to qualify for a GAI Fair grade a card must exhibit three or more major flaws, the game then becomes: name them !

But then again their definition clearly states "may include or exhibit" which of course means that "may not" also applies.

More grading company clarity!

Old 12-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

The card is graded accurately in my opinion. PSA, SGC, and GAI all have slight variances in their grading standards. If they grade cards according to their grading standards, then they are graded accurately. It is incumbent for prospective buyers to read a company's graded standards before proceeding to buy a graded PSA, SGC, or GAI card.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

There was a group of T206's up recently that had GAI 1 & 1.5's, the 1's looked much better, the 1.5's looked like train wrecks. I wish the grading companies would start being a little better with the lower end grades.

SGC, start using that 100 numbers you have, if you use it for the high end, why not for the low end. A nice looking card with back damage should grade higher than a multi-creased nonpaperloss card of the same technical grade.

Lee

Old 12-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

sgc's failure to use the full 100 points has always bothered me. about 2/3 of their grades are used to describe 'mint' cards and the remaing three grades are left for a broad range of conditions, and what the majority of vintage cards would grade

Old 12-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I can just imagine 100 different vague descriptions of a grading company's criteria for incremental, obscure, and controversial differences among cards.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Heitman

There's no substitute for examining it for yourself. But that ebay listing is so informative. I guess if good ole Brian Cataquet aka tobeeecat is offering it, it must be great. Give me a break.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

you don't need to get into 100 different definitions, just break your grading down into 4 or 5 areas such as centering, corners, surface, etc. If you ahve 4 areas, give each 25 points, if there are 5, give each 20 points. Then total each of the areas for your grade. Makes too much sense to me.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

as to why SGC doesn't use the 1-100 scale like a school teacher would. I suppose the answer is that as much as we whine about 10 or 15 gradations, can you imagine the arguments over whether the card is a 33 or a 34?

Shannon: Questions about whether a grading service is overgrading are perfectly appropriate to raise here. IMHO GAI is the least strict of all the major services.

As far as quoting GAI's standards, the standards don't mean squat to me because IMHO a card missing as much of the image on the front as the T227 in question is not a fair condition card under any reasonable grading standard. A comparable paper pull on a blank-backed card is another story.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I dont know how psa would grade this, but I know that sgc would give it a 10. I have cards with less paperloss on the back and beautiful fronts with nice corners that have rec'd 10s. Its incredible that GAI gives it a 1.5.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

I agree with John. If the grade given is consistent with the company's standards then it is up to the buyer to accept or reject those standards.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

"why SGC doesn't use the 1-100 scale like a school teacher would"

My personal opinion is that anything more detailed than a 1/2 grade split is imply too much. I have thought before that I would like to have SGC do grades between 30 and 40, 40 and 50, 50 and 60 & 80 and 84 i.e. 2.5, 3.5, 4.5 and 6.5.

If memory serves me correct, SGC used the 100 point scale and got a patent. They apparently could not get a patent on half grades i.e. 7.5, 8.5 etc. I think this was the whole genesis of the idea.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I found the auction, it makes no sense to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/T206-White-Border-Lot-4-Diff-GAI-1-5-all-El-Principe_W0QQitemZ8727643021QQcategoryZ106178QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 12-07-2005, 02:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

Someone screwed the pooch on those grade's it would seem. But as to grading strictness, I believe that at least as far as psa and gai are concered. Gai is by far tougher on t cards. I can look at almost all of my t206's and almost everyone in a gai holder would move up a grade or 1/2 grade if moved to psa. In fact if it was not for the BS with psa's service and there suspect buisness practice's when it comes to dealing with any issue that comes up i would crack any gai or sgc card and send to them before looking to sell. I t still amaze's me that psa commands more $'s than the other 2 when it come's to selling most pre war issue's. But than again if i can keep buying gai and sgc at reduced pricing than thats a good thing. Although i a have noticed a narrowing as of late.