NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-27-2019, 11:07 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Congrats on the Mantle! I'm super happy for you. It's a great feeling to snag a classic baseball card, isn't it?
Thanks Eric. Looking forward to adding the Mantle and my new '56 commons to my '55 set to make a bigger hybrid combo set that, once I find the '56 team cards too, will cover everyone and everything that both years have to offer. It should all mesh well since the design and player photos are so similar

But I still love the longer journey you're taking with this. Sometimes I wish I had that patience!

Last edited by cardsagain74; 12-27-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:09 PM
Eric Perry

My next card from the Philly show pickup is this copy of #127. I'm not sure what's more appealing, the action shot or the remarkable nickname.

Willie "Puddin Head" Jones played with the Phillies for 13 years and earned two All-Star nods in the early fifties. He joined the team in 1947, as a 21 year-old who had recently been discharged from the Navy and played some semipro ball.

The focal point of this card is the action shot, in which Jones is pictured sliding into home. An umpire looks on as the opposing catcher attempts to apply the tag, apparently too late.

There is something else which caught my attention. Within the yellow box in the upper left, "3rd base PHILADELPHIA PHILS" is noticeably tilted. Interestingly, this appears the same on the other examples I've seen pictured online, including a Mint 9 copy pictured on the PSA website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-127-Willie-Jones-(Front).jpg (79.0 KB, 525 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-05-2020, 01:44 AM
J0hn H@rper

Almost directed you to all the '56 T offered today, but I see you found it already
Old 01-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Eric Perry

My next Philly Show pickup is this Glen Gorbous, a light-hitting outfielder with a relatively short career in the Major Leagues.

The backdrop of this card is awash with green. Seemingly everything has an emerald tint, including the rather lengthy fence and stands visible behind him. In the foreground of the action shot, Gorbous stands with hands on knees and his eyes gazing upwards. Perhaps he is contemplating one of his four career home runs. More likely, he is tracking an imaginary fly ball as he poses for the picture.

There is a certain stillness and sadness about the images on this card. For a kid in his mid-20s playing pro baseball, Gorbous isn't smiling. Quite the contrast when compared to some of the other cards in the 1956 Topps set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-174-Glen-Gorbous-(Front).jpg (78.0 KB, 500 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 01-05-2020, 12:03 PM
Eric Perry

Of the cards I picked up at the Philly Show, there was exactly one of a Hall of Famer. Robin Roberts was the ace of the Phillies staff in the 1950s, racking up 199 wins and securing seven All-Star selections during the decade. Roberts also finished in the top 10 of MVP voting five times in a seven year stretch, a further indication of just how good the right-hander was.

This particular example is on the lower end of the condition range I'm looking for, as it sports a crease in the bottom left corner. Still, the card displays nicely and the crease does not distract from any of the features or images.

Roberts' portrait stands out to me for several reasons. For starters, his eyes are intensely focused, almost penetrating. Also, the way his eyebrows are shaped, he has a somewhat sinister look about him. It almost seems that he is staring intently at me, through the cardboard, from a moment captured 64 years ago. Additionally, and almost comically, there is Roberts' cap. He hasn't quite pulled it down as far as other players would. It makes me think he didn't want to mess up his hair that day. Given the seriousness of his facial features, this looks (to me, anyway) hilarious. Rather than wear his cap, Roberts put the thing gently atop his head.

One other thing grabbed my attention. In the top left quadrant, underneath the nameplate, there is an orange box. Contained within this box are the position and team name. As with some other cards in this set, there is a definite slant. As stated previously, little imperfections such as this are neat to me. They serve as reminders of the time in which they were made...and the time frame in which they were put together.

Lastly, there is the action pose, which is simple yet effective. It captures Roberts as he enters into a wind-up, amidst a plain yet beautiful background. All in all, this is a very attractive card of one of the best pitchers to ever wear a Phillies uniform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-180-Robin-Roberts-(Front).jpg (79.7 KB, 506 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 01-10-2020, 03:51 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:

I find it interesting how much differently I'm looking at these cards while building the set. In the past, I would have simply glanced at the name, muttered "common" to myself, and moved on without a second thought. Now, for whatever reason, I've had a paradigm shift. I'm truly seeing the cards, with a thrill of discovery that wasn't there before.
Man, good for you. Reading your thread here, caused me to slow down and take my time with my cards - to read them again and absorb them. I'm new to the forum here, but used to collect a long time ago. Unfortunately I gave away most of my cards (long story), but I still have a lot of great ones, and have started collecting again.

But what you're talking about is the way we looked at the cards as kids. Without words, just looking at a card, getting an impression of the player, the picture, etc. Your imagination was a part of it. The backs were informative, and entertaining with the cartoons. You dug the upbeat mini-biographies of each player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
This thread (specifically when the Polo Grounds was mentioned in the background of the one card) has me doing the same thing. Before that, I only thought of how something initially looked to me (and, much moreso, its value). Which led me to have no general interest in the '56s, especially when compared to my '55s.

But now that I took a second look at the amazing backgrounds in the '56s, I'm getting some commons just to appreciate that too. They are like nice postcard works of art. As a middle-aged guy who's always been a baseball player and connoisseur at heart, it's extra nostalgic.
And good for you too. These cards are works of art, IMO. I love the big Topps cards from 1952 - 1956.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Eric Perry

Another pickup at the Philly Show is this Granny Hamner. Aside from the somewhat (by today's standards) odd nickname, several things stand out about this card.

For starters, the background image shows a close play at the plate. Hamner is sliding in as the catcher attempts to apply the tag. It is practically impossible to know whether he will be called safe or out. By not showing an umpire in the picture, Topps (perhaps purposefully) leaves the viewer to imagine the outcome for themselves. As a Phillies fan, I prefer to think he was safe, scoring the winning run in the ninth inning of a closely contested game.

Additionally, there is a bat laying on the ground, inches away from the action. As Hamner continues sliding past home, he will likely collide with the lumber. Did nobody think to clear the bat away? Was there no time? Did Hamner gallop towards home from third on a suicide squeeze? So many questions regarding one small detail.

Lastly, there is the foreground portrait. Hamner's cap looks almost brand new. It doesn't appear to have been broken in yet. On a modern card, I probably wouldn't think twice about this. Players nowadays are issued new uniforms, caps, etc. on a seemingly daily basis. Demand for game-used memorabilia is extremely high and teams are more than willing to cash in on this. Back in the mid-50s, as I understand it, things were a bit different. Players from that era tended to get more "mileage" out of things such as gloves, uniforms, and caps. Come to think of it, American society as a whole seems to have trended more and more towards treating everything as easily disposable these days.

Am I just an aging man longing for days gone by as I ponder such things? Perhaps. However, I collect baseball cards. As with most of us, I tend to spend at least as much time looking back as I do looking forward. In many ways, I often prefer the view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-197-Granny-Hamner-(Front).jpg (78.2 KB, 464 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 01-12-2020, 03:30 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I love this thread!

In looking at the catcher on the Granny card, the way his arms are situated together at the plate as he's staring at (most likely) another base runner, it seems to me this was an 'easy' tag out at the plate with no chance of throwing out the other advancing player.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:51 PM
Eric Perry

My next card from the Philly Show is #211, Murry Dickson. He only played for Phillies for a few years; however, had a somewhat long and fairly productive career. Beyond this, he also had quite an interesting life, especially in his younger years. For those who may have an interest, I recommend reading this article from SABR on Dickson:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/1bb26f23

As for the card, it shows a then-40-year-old Murray Dickson looking every bit the grizzled veteran he was at the time; not just in the baseball sense, but also someone who had been in battle. The look on his face is that of a person who has literally seen it all. I don't often think of this, but those who were middle-aged in 1956 had been through a decidedly different life than the generations which followed them. They had witnessed a world at war.

The action shot of Dickson is remarkable in that no team logo appears on his jersey. Murry had been pitching for the Phillies for a few years by then, so action photos of him were likely easy to come by. However, he had been traded (or sold) so many times by this point, it's possible Topps wanted to hedge their bet and just show Dickson in a plain jersey...just in case. Ironically, he was traded shortly after the set was released.

The backdrop of the action shot is another one of those cards in which everything has a green tint to it. Additionally, Dickson is curiously pictured on neither a pitcher's mound nor an infield warm-up area. Instead, he is standing on an endless expanse of emerald green grass.

Early on in collecting this set, I began to truly see the cards. Now, as I progress a bit further, I have begun to also see the players. They weren't just flat 2 dimensional objects on a piece of cardboard. These players were real people with real lives and (in Murry Dickson's case) real character.

I can honestly say that collecting a set of cards has never been such a tremendously rewarding experience. What a fantastic journey this is turning out to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-211-Murry-Dickson-(Front).jpg (79.0 KB, 448 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 01-16-2020, 08:58 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I've wondered if on some of the '56s, whether the action shot was superimposed on a stadium background.

Really enjoy your take on these cards. I usually don't contemplate a card this much, but sometimes you just have to slow down.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 02-17-2020, 01:54 PM
Eric Perry

We often experience, and sometimes discuss, a loss in our lives. Over the past month, I have dealt with this twice.

Four weeks ago, my father passed away. He and I shared decades of memories, many of which were related to sports and collecting. While his passing was neither sudden nor unexpected, it was still devastating. Even though my relationship with my father was occasionally challenging, I loved and will miss him dearly.

Sixteen days later, my wife and I lost a family pet. His passing was something we had seen coming for a while. For the past six months, we did everything possible, as did the veterinarians. However, the time had come for him to cross the Rainbow Bridge...another soul I loved and will miss dearly.

So, why am I writing all of this here, on a message board devoted to baseball cards? Four weeks ago, my 1956 Topps project stopped as abruptly as it had begun. As other parts of my life return to something resembling normal, I find myself looking forward to resuming the project. Before jumping back in, though, I figured it would make sense to let you all know what happened that caused me to take a little time away.

I'll be back to posting 1956 Topps images/observations soon. Until then, take care.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 02-17-2020, 05:29 PM
Rob

My condolences, Eric.

Best of luck with your 1956 Topps project. It's a great set to work on...Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps56yogijackie478.jpg (80.4 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg topps56yogijackieb479.jpg (80.5 KB, 406 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 05:41 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
My condolences, Eric.

Best of luck with your 1956 Topps project. It's a great set to work on...Rob
Thanks, Rob. I appreciate the kind words.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:09 PM
Eric Perry

I completed the Phillies team set back around New Year's Day. I was almost finished posting the individual cards by mid-January; however, got sidetracked for a while.

I am going to show the last two Phillies cards without a whole lot of conversation. Don't get me wrong, they're still beautiful to me. It's just that I look at images of Phillies from the mid-50's (through the early 60's) in a different light now. They were the players my father grew up watching, and I can't help but think about him as I look at these.

It feels rather good to get back into the swing of things, though. I look forward to posting the other cards I've picked up so far. Hopefully, I'll have that done before the Philly Show next weekend. Then, I can pick up some more cards and continue this '56 Topps journey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-274-Frank-Baumholtz-(Front).jpg (79.5 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-334-Bob-Miller-(Front).jpg (78.6 KB, 392 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 02-18-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:07 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Man, Baumholtz is having a real hard time getting to second...probably because he appears to be sliding sharply uphill!!!

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Eric Perry

After completing the Phillies team set, I decided to set my sights on the Big Apple. In 1956, baseball fans in New York had not yet felt the sting of losing two of their three teams. The Yankees were perennial favorites, the Dodgers had just won their first World Series, and the Giants captured a championship the year before. New York was the center of the baseball universe, and most of the brightest stars played their home games in the city that never sleeps.

The background picture on this Bob Cerv card exhibits many of the small details I enjoy from the 1956 Topps set. The stands are filled with fans, giving the scene a lively feel. Adding to the energy of this image is the twisted body of Cerv as he rounds first base. There is also a small cloud of dust around his feet, further displaying Cerv's somewhat frenetic movement.

Perhaps the most interesting detail is one that I missed when first looking at the card. At a spot roughly halfway between Cerv's chest and the ear of his portrait, there is a white sphere. Sure enough, it's a baseball. There are even visible stitches on the thing. Its size makes the ball appear closer (to the viewer) than the rest of the subjects in this scene. Additionally, it leaves me to wonder what happened to the ball before and after this precise moment in time.

Such a detail reinforces the depth and realism Topps likely sought to present with this image. It also truly brings me into the action. I can almost imagine being along the first base line on a late afternoon, watching the action up-close as the shadows grew longer and the game sped towards its conclusion.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm still not entirely sure Cerv is rounding first base here. the curvature of the dirt and presence of the foul line certainly led me to believe it was first. However, the stands in the background also seem to be located along the first base line. That scene even appears to include a dugout. Maybe Topps fused two images together? I'd love to hear some theories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-288-Bob-Cerv-(Front).jpg (78.4 KB, 364 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 02-24-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:28 PM
Eric Perry

I went to the Philly Show today. While walking the floor, I ran into a few Net54 members, had some great conversations, and picked up a few cards. The only one from 1956 Topps was this Mickey McDermott.

Some people would find the registration issues maddening. Others might find them attractive. I'm definitely part of the latter camp.

While I certainly won't make a sub-project out of color shifted cards, it is really neat to have this particular example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-340-Mickey-McDermott-(FRONT)-Offset.jpg (77.0 KB, 353 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-01-2020, 12:50 PM
Eric Perry

And, here's a copy of McDermott without the color shift. I got this one from Bocabirdman a couple months ago. So, now I have doubles of exactly one card in this set. It is interesting that the vertical streak on his right shoulder appears on both cards.

After an admittedly brief Internet search, I have found this print defect to be common. Since Topps wouldn't have an obvious reason (to me, anyway) for including this on the image, it appears to have been something during the process of preparing or printing the sheets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-340-Mickey-McDermott-(FRONT).jpg (79.2 KB, 353 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-04-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosluggo View Post
This was an enjoyable set to put together -- I love the design and the combination of portrait and action photos. I started with about 30 cards and completed it in a few months about three years ago. Depending on how condition-sensitive you are, it can be a relatively affordable set to put together as the only significant rookie card is Luis Aparicio. I have always loved studying the action photos, including the same shot used for the Gail Harris and Jim Wilson cards. I'm guessing the first baseman really is Harris but doubt the runner is Wilson.
Pretty cool. I never noticed that. I did however notice recently that the background photo used in both the Yogi Berra and Gene Woodling cards are the same.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:13 PM
J!m Be@m

Quote:
Such a detail reinforces the depth and realism Topps likely sought to present with this image. It also truly brings me into the action. I can almost imagine being along the first base line on a late afternoon, watching the action up-close as the shadows grew longer and the game sped towards its conclusion.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm still not entirely sure Cerv is rounding first base here. the curvature of the dirt and presence of the foul line certainly led me to believe it was first. However, the stands in the background also seem to be located along the first base line. That scene even appears to include a dugout. Maybe Topps fused two images together? I'd love to hear some theories.
I think he is sliding into 3rd base and that is the 1st base dugout in the background. As a result of your posts, I am certainly going to take a much closer look at my '56 cards (57-60 too!).
Old 03-05-2020, 02:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The problem, though, is the curvature of the dirt. Unless I'm wrong, you don't see that on the inside of the infield area, just on the outside.

Casey Stengel

Old 03-05-2020, 07:03 PM

Maybe that's not a dugout? Could it be a centerfield bullpen enclosed by a fence (that we're too far away to see)? I don't know enough about 1950s stadia to have any idea if that's something that they had, but otherwise it looks geometrically impossible.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:51 AM
J0hn Collin$

Thanks for this thread, Eric. It's nice to see you pointing out the simple beauty and joy even in the commons. It's too often lost these days in a hobby where slabs and dollar signs seem to rule the day.

I've only been saying I should "do" the '56 set off and on for about 20 years now. It would be pretty easy to offiically start. I have the Mantle, the Williams, 2 Clemente's (both a white and gray back) and a pile of commons. I think it is hands down the best Topps set of all-time. So much of it just screams the 1950's.

I will look forward to your future posts!

-John
Old 03-09-2020, 01:18 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Thanks for this thread, Eric. It's nice to see you pointing out the simple beauty and joy even in the commons. It's too often lost these days in a hobby where slabs and dollar signs seem to rule the day.

I've only been saying I should "do" the '56 set off and on for about 20 years now. It would be pretty easy to offiically start. I have the Mantle, the Williams, 2 Clemente's (both a white and gray back) and a pile of commons. I think it is hands down the best Topps set of all-time. So much of it just screams the 1950's.

I will look forward to your future posts!

-John
John,

Thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate the feedback. If you do decide to pursue a '56 Topps deck, good luck and have fun.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Eric Perry

Roger Craig is a name with which I have seemingly always been familiar. As a youngster in the late 70’s, I became aware of Craig though seeing him pictured on the 1979 Padres team card. As a teenager in the late ‘80s, I knew him as the manager of a very good San Francisco Giants team. Acquiring this 1956 Topps rookie card of Craig took me back to both of those times in my life.

It is not surprising Topps included the young pitcher in their final oversized offering. The Brooklyn Dodgers had captured their first (and, as it turned out, their only) World Series the year before. Craig was not only a member of this championship club, he started game 5 of the series and picked up a win.

This fact is captured on the back of Craig’s card, presented within one of the cartoons displayed on most of the cards from this set. Additionally, Roger’s date of birth appears directly above this cartoon. Interestingly, Topps appears to have printed the wrong year. Craig was actually born in 1930. I didn’t give this much thought at first. There are quite a few uncorrected errors in Topps sets from this era. However, while looking through Beckett to confirm this was Craig’s rookie, I noticed the error was not catalogued as such. Although I doubt I’m the first one to notice this, it was neat to “discover” a mistake the guide didn’t have.

As for the front of the card, it depicts the tall, lean hurler following through on a pitch. The position of Craig’s left arm suggests that he put his whole body into throwing the ball. In his portrait, Roger bears a look of confidence befitting a world champion. The background, while not especially prominent, does offer up one notable and puzzling detail.

Between the nameplate and Roger’s cap, there are a few pennants waving in the breeze, along with something which looks like a fence of some sort. This “fence” also appears on the other side of Roger’s cap. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out (a) what this “fence” is and (b) what it is doing there. Any ideas you all may have would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-63-Roger-Craig-(FRONT).jpg (77.9 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-63-Roger-Craig-(BACK).jpg (71.6 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-63-Roger-Craig-Pruce-Guide.jpg (48.0 KB, 290 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 03-09-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:01 AM
Eric Perry

When I picked up card #83, Karl Spooner, I had no idea who he was. This is not surprising, considering the fact that he only played for two seasons. I came to learn that the left-hander was a phenom of a pitcher who enjoyed a stunningly good start to his career. It was not meant to last, though. An early injury ultimately took him from top of the world down to being a flash-in-the-pan.

While doing a bit of research on the player, I also discovered something interesting about the '56 Topps card on which Spooner appears. There are (at least) two versions of the front. The portrait was cropped a bit tighter on one of them. This is perhaps easiest to spot at the top of the Brooklyn "B" on his cap. Details, one of which I grabbed from eBay, appear below.

Is this a common occurrence for 1956 Topps Baseball? Were there two different fronts for the cards with a white/gray back variation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-83-Karl-Spooner-(FRONT).jpg (80.0 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-83-Karl-Spooner-(detail).jpg (68.1 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-83-Karl-Spooner-(eBay-image).jpg (15.6 KB, 278 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-19-2020, 07:54 PM
Eric Perry

This Carl Erskine card made me do a double take. Topps seemed to have taken a great deal of artistic license with the background picture. Their version of "artistic" in this case, though, borders on minimalism. There is no stadium, no fence, no infield dirt. Instead, there is just a green "haze" that seems to have been airbrushed over a large portion of the original image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-233-Carl-Erskine-(Front).jpg (80.5 KB, 260 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Eric Perry

I'm going to be spending the entire weekend at home. Presumably, many of you are in the same situation. To make the best of this, I plan to post images of the remaining 12 cards I've picked up thus far. When done, all of the 1956 Topps cards in my collection will be posted in this thread.

Here is #225, Gil McDougald. Although there is nothing remarkable about the card, I do enjoy the images. McDougald's portrait shows a young, vibrant infielder for the New York Yankees. He looks genuinely happy in this picture. Why wouldn't he? The Bombers were on one hell of a run during those days.

The action shot is a classic infield play, one in which McDougald appears to have successfully turned a double play at second.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-225-Gil-McDougald-(Front).jpg (81.1 KB, 242 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Eric Perry

Card #316, Jerry Coleman, shows another Yankee infielder making a play at second base. In this action image, Coleman is off the ground, having taken to the air to avoid a hard-sliding runner. I imagine base-runners could not intimidate Coleman, a US Marine who served in Korea and World War II.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-316-Jerry-Coleman-(Front).jpg (79.2 KB, 244 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Eric Perry

I very much like the look of card #302, "Big Ed" Robinson. The Yankee first baseman is shown applying a tag, likely attempting to complete a pick-off play or snag a runner who took too large a turn around the bag. The photographer (or artist) froze a moment in time skillfully, leaving the viewer to wonder whether the runner was safe or out.

Robinson's portrait is also done tremendously well. His cap is pulled down low and his facial expression is quite serious. The focal point of the image, though, is the look in his eyes. Robinson's gaze is locked upon the left edge of the card, almost inviting the viewer to look past the border to see what it is that he had noticed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-302-Eddie-Robinson-(Front).jpg (78.5 KB, 245 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-21-2020, 02:20 PM
Eric Perry

As a lifelong Phillies fan, I have long been familiar with the name Jim Konstanty. As a member of the pennant winning Whiz Kids, he won the 1950 National League MVP award. I was a young kid in the late '70s, and I often heard Phillies fans speak of that 1950 team, since they were the last Phillies club to reach the World Series.

By 1956, Konstanty was on the New York Yankees, the team which beat the Phillies in that Fall Classic. He was nearly 40 years old, and at the end of his career. In that year, Topps captured the veteran pitcher on card #321.

The portrait of Konstanty accurately depicts an athlete at the end of their playing days. It would not have surprised me to see "coach" or "manager" on the front nameplate rather than a position. He looks wise and learned; however, does not appear to be wildly energetic.

The background image intrigues me. At first glance, it appears to be a typical ballpark scene. As I looked more closely, though, I discovered that something simply did not add up. Furthest from the viewer, there is an outfield wall, visible stands, and some architectural features. It seems like the sight one would see from the third base dugout. Then, in the foreground, Konstanty is following through after throwing the ball...seemingly into that same dugout.

Additionally, take a look at the right edge of the card, near Konstanty's ear. There appears to be a fence and a treeline. I'm no photo expert; however, I believe the perspective is off here. In total, the action shot seems to have been crafted from three different pictures:

- Konstanty throwing
- The large outfield scene under the nameplate
- The small outfield scene near the right edge

As I continue to collect this set, it is becoming apparent that Topps took some creative license with the artwork for their cards. Not that there's anything wrong with them doing this. In a way, it actually adds to the appeal of the cards. Topps chose to produce something which would bring fans, predominantly children, closer to the game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-321-Jim-Konstanty-(Front).jpg (78.5 KB, 287 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-21-2020, 06:29 PM
Eric Perry

Card #215, Tommy Byrne, shows a Yankee left-hander who was coming off perhaps the finest season of his 13 year career. In 1955, he went 16-5 with a 3.11 ERA and finished 14th in the MVP voting.

Byrne's 1956 Topps card shows a portrait of a World War II veteran in his mid-30s. He had missed two years of his career due to service in the U.S. Navy, an experience similar to many of his peers. His expression is somewhat serious, with eyes narrowed and seemingly fixed upon something in the distance. I wonder if he was actually gazing inward and contemplating something about which none of us could ever know.

The action shot is beautiful in its presentation. Byrne is shown on the mound, mid-delivery, at the moment of release. There is no batter pictured..no other players...no crowd. I've often heard that great pitchers have the ability to block out nearly everything when expertly plying their craft. To me, this image exemplifies the sort of disposition in which a top-notch hurler would find themselves when everything is working just right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-215-Tommy-Byrne-(Front).jpg (80.2 KB, 278 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-21-2020, 07:25 PM
Eric Perry

Poor Johnny Kucks.

For starters, his name was almost certainly cause for some hazing. At the beginning of the 1956 season, he was a mere 23 years old. I imagine the veterans had a field day with the kid. Still, he was in the major leagues. Among other things, this led to his very own Topps baseball card. The first time Johnny saw the card, though, he probably didn't react very well.

His portrait isn't exactly the most flattering picture, to put it gently. The artist who colored (or created) this image seemed to have some difficulty with accurately rendering Johnny's face. I checked photographs of Kucks...he looked nothing like the kid shown here with somewhat lopsided eyes and a vacant expression.

When he looked on the back of his card, Kucks would have undoubtedly noticed that Topps did not get his date of birth correct. They were off by a year; he was actually born in 1932. This is the second time, in roughly 40 cards, this error has presented itself. Small sample size, i know. However, it seems rather prevalent.

A closer inspection of the back reveals another error. His career stat line shows that he racked up quite a few numbers before 1955...apparently without playing a single game. Somewhat less-than-stellar quality control at Topps that year, it seems. I guess their purchase of Bowman, and lack of competition, may have had an impact in that area.

The card does have some redeeming qualities, though. The background is spectacular, featuring a classic '50s stadium image. The advertising on the outfield wall, while not quite readable, is certainly visible. The architecture of the stadium is beautiful, uncluttered, and a great representation of ballparks from this bygone era.

In the foreground, Kucks' pitching delivery looks clean and graceful, almost effortless. His frame certainly looks to be that of a pitcher. He looks entirely natural in the role of a big-league hurler.

Lastly, there is the autograph. It is large and free-flowing, a well-executed example of the perfect Palmer method taught in schools during the first half of the 20th Century.

Overall, I found this card extremely interesting. There were so many small details that caught my eye and led me to further exploration. Moving forward, I'll certainly take notice whenever I see cards or photos of John Charles Kucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-88-Johnny-Kucks-(Front).jpg (76.7 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-88-Johnny-Kucks-(Back).jpg (78.5 KB, 274 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 03-21-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:11 AM
Eric Perry

Be honest, would you have guessed that Tommy Carroll finished his career with a .300 batting average? Granted, Carroll only played in a total of 64 games and collected only 30 at-bats. Still, not many players have compiled that magical lifetime mark.

His 1956 Topps card offers many interesting details which caught my eye, For starters, there's the background image. Take a look at Carroll's right foot. It certainly makes me wonder what took place the instant after this photo was taken. This fairly normal looking infield scene may very well have turned quite chaotic.

Aside from a potential kick-to-the-groin, there are some other things that I noticed on the card front which weren't in any of the other cards I have seen thus far. Carroll seems to have either run or slid so hard that his cap fell off. Now, this is a common scene in the game, especially when the runner in question is a teenager - Carroll was 19 years old when this issue was released. However, I simply had not yet sen a '56 Topps card depicting it.

Another thing that struck me as odd was the bill of Tommy Carroll's cap. In the portrait image, it appears much smaller than those worn by other players. In a way, it seems reminiscent of the caps worn by players in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-139-Tommy-Carroll-(Front).jpg (79.8 KB, 263 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-30-2020, 05:28 PM
Eric Perry

Card #12, Andy Carey, shows a player sporting a "normal" cap. At least, it looks much more like the one I'd expect to see on a ballplayer from the '50s. Quite a difference from the previous card I had posted.

The portrait image draws my attention almost immediately. Carey has an intense look on his face, to go along with features that one might find on a soldier who just emerged from a foxhole. His eyes are narrowed and his gaze fixed on something unseen to his left. There are streaks of dirt on this face which contrast sharply with a clean streak that starts at his right ear. The effect is similar to face paint meant to be worn as camouflage.

Moving on to the action scene, even that image exhibits violence. Carey is shown tagging the runner squarely in the face, an act surely not received well by the opponent. Speaking of the tag, there's something not quite right with this image. The glove looks a bit unnatural, and there's a "watch" around Carey's right wrist. This would be highly unusual for a right-handed thrower..who was playing the infield at the time.

All things considered, it seems as though the team at Topps was once again taking creative license in an effort to put forth an exciting issue. In my opinion, they succeeded. I would recognize this card, from a distance, in a heartbeat. Additionally, it will almost certainly trigger memories of today...when I spent some time pondering a 64-year-old piece of cardboard and its marvelous nuances.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-UNPOSTED-12-Andy-Carey-(Front).jpg (79.1 KB, 256 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 03-31-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:19 PM
Eric Perry

Joe Collins, pictured here on card #21, was nearing the end of his 10-year career by 1956. He spent the entirety of that decade with the New York Yankees, playing multiple positions along the way.

Collins is shown here as a first baseman, leaning in and attempting to apply the tag on a runner there. I find it interesting to look at the way this runner is standing on the bag. If he were legging out an infield single, one would expect him to be running straight down the line. If he rounded first (or took a lead) and was trying to get back, I would think his lead foot would be on the base.

Instead, the runner seems to have taken a somewhat circuitous route back to first. Combine this with Collins' awkward, almost stumbling body position. It seems to me this was an exciting play to watch in real time. If the action shot on this card was created by using a photo, I applaud the photographer for seizing the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-UNPOSTED-21-Joe-Collins-(Front).jpg (80.1 KB, 247 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 04-01-2020, 02:37 PM
Eric Perry

#40, Bob Turley. #52, Bob Grim. #223, Randy Jackson.

These are the last three cards I own that had not yet been posted. I find each of them beautiful, colorful, and filled with action. However, I'm going to take a break from my typical long-winded write-up on each card. Instead, I'll simply offer a few general thoughts.

When I picked these up a couple months ago, the world was a decidedly different place. Then, COVID-19 hit. As we turn the calendar from March into April, it has affected nearly every part of our lives. This, of course, includes collecting sports cards.

I realize that we'll have a return to normalcy someday, hopefully soon. When that day comes, I'll be looking forward to attending card shows, along with all the other things that have been postponed, rescheduled, or cancelled lately. Until that day, I plan to do something for which there is seldom enough time.

I'm going to take a good look at all that cardboard I've collected throughout the years. Additionally, while flipping through binders and sorting through boxes, I'll slow down and enjoy the experience. After all, I got these cards to enjoy them. For the time being, I think I'll do just that.

Stay healthy and safe, everyone.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Eric, thanks for the play-by-play of this beautiful set. It is probably my favorite Topps set and I was fortunate to finish it two years ago.

Just a couple of other thoughts on some of the recent cards you posted:

Carl Erskine - this is obviously not a posed photo as Carl is in his follow-through from an actual pitch, however, as you mentioned there is no sign of a mound - no dirt, no pitching rubber and no orientation to the other parts of the stadium. And it looks like Topps filled in the background of his portrait with an airbrush, trying to reproduce the color of the grass, but didn't quite get the texture. Strange backdrop for the action photo.

Joe Collins - I believe Collins is reaching for a off-course pick-off throw from the pitcher that strayed too far towards second base. He is off balance trying to catch the throw and this has made the runner go back to the outside of the bag and tag it with his trailing foot. Certainly not a routine play.

Tommy Carroll - Who is this colored middle infielder making the play at second base? Looking at the uniforms, my guess is that it is Jose Valdivielso, SS for the 1955 Senators.

Has anyone seen any of the actual photos that these cards were printed from, especially the smaller action photos? I would think that might help a man identify some of the other players in them.

Stay healthy and safe as we navigate through this difficult time. And thanks again for the analysis of these cards.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 04-01-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Eric Perry

I've gotten back on the 1956 set building kick. Card #30, Jackie Robinson, was a recent eBay pickup.

This is a mid-50s classic that I'm thrilled to have. It would be the last card of the Dodgers great issued during his career. While his skills had diminished somewhat, it's hard to tell from the action photo. Robinson is shown sliding into the plate, apparently having just stolen home. It was a fitting way for Topps to capture the excitement Jackie brought to the game of baseball.

Additionally, the back of this card has a very interesting cartoon panel. For starters, it mentions the Brooklyn Dodgers' one and only World Series Championship. Topps credits Robinson for his fine play; however, they chose to draw a rather unusual image of the 6-time All-Star.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the main subject of this cartoon looks like Babe Ruth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-30-Jackie-Robinson-(Front).jpg (78.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-30-Jackie-Robinson-(Back) - Copy.jpg (36.1 KB, 218 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-05-2020, 08:36 PM
Daniel

Awesome start! Good luck in this great endeavor!

I’ve got Koufax from this set in condition that probably matches up with what you are going for (not a blazer, not a beater). If you need him shoot me a PM and we can talk price (and scans).

Cheers!
Dan

Ps - I also have a 206 Mickey Doolan if you need him.

Last edited by dantrades63105; 06-05-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:47 PM
Doug

Quote:
Another neat issue from this group is the Mayo Smith. When I first saw the card, his lack of a glove or bat in the action pose caught my attention. It reminded me of a coach holding the runner at third base. What an odd pose for a player.

Then, as a look of dawning comprehension washed over me, I realized Smith was manager of the ball club.

I find it interesting how much differently I'm looking at these cards while building the set. In the past, I would have simply glanced at the name, muttered "common" to myself, and moved on without a second thought. Now, for whatever reason, I've had a paradigm shift. I'm truly seeing the cards, with a thrill of discovery that wasn't there before.
Yeah, even as a kid (6 years old), I was fascinated by the backgrounds of the '56's. Growing up on the West Coast, I never saw a big league stadium (I spent most summer nights at the Sacramento Solons PCL stadium) and looking at the backgrounds of 56's was like seeing the stuff on TV except they were in color. Does anyone know how they created the backgrounds? Were they just touched up photos or did they create paintings/copies of photos. I know they did paintings for earlier series of Topps Cards. It would be fun to find the artwork. Thanks for sharing Eric and y'all.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:29 PM
Eric Perry

I picked up a few more cards for the set and will touch briefly upon them when posting images.

Card #257, Bobby Thomson, was part of a graded lot eBay pickup. Interestingly, the seller shipped the cards twice. Initially, they were lost in transit for 11 days. Then the package arrived...back at the seller's mailbox. Fortunately, the seller was super easy to deal with and the cards made their way to me quickly the second time around.

Thomson, of course, took part in one of the most famous moments in 20th Century baseball. His dramatic pennant-winning home run has been called, "the shot heard 'round the world" by more than a few fans throughout the years. Additionally, Russ Hodges' iconic (if somewhat redundant) call of, "the Giants win the pennant" has become almost as well-known as the Thomson homer itself.

The card front features Thomson grinning rather defiantly, almost smirking. Perhaps even five years wasn't quite enough time to wipe the smile off his face from the end of the '51 regular season. Topps paired his portrait with an image of Thomson unleashing a powerful swing. Giving the customer a view from above the batter's box was likely a deliberate choice. For me, this makes it easy to imagine being at the ballpark, perhaps even on that memorable day.

The card back has a trio of cartoon panels, as is typical for the 1956 Topps set. The first of those panels references Thomson's memorable 9th inning blast. As we approach the 65th anniversary of this set, that homer is (sadly) the only thing most people know about him. While being remembered primarily for a single at-bat may not be an ideal legacy, one thing is certain.

Bobby Thomson made damn sure we wouldn't forget him.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-14-2020, 10:40 AM
Eric Perry

I’d like to give some public praise to a fellow board member. BlueSky (hi, Marty) saw my set building progress and offered to send me the two cards pictured below. No charge, no strings, just an unexpected and generous gift. Thank you VERY much, Marty. I really appreciate your generosity.

The first card is #59, Jose Santiago. The portrait shows a young hurler who appears quite happy. The expression of joy spreads over his entire face, highlighted by an ear-to-ear grin. Not surprising, really. After logging nearly 1,000 innings in the minors, he was finally in the big leagues. The action shot is (to me) the picture perfect vision of pre-game activity at the ballpark. There are the first stirrings of warm-ups taking place on the edge of a sun-drenched field. Santiago is in the foreground, loosening up his pitching arm. Other players have taken the field; however, are mostly staying near the stands. It's almost as if they're reluctant to kick things into high gear this early in the day. A few fans are visible in the stands, "early birds" seeking autographs perhaps.

In contrast, there is nearly no activity shown on the card of Jack Crimian. The Athletics right-hander is warming up on a seemingly empty field. The color palette used by the artist is darker, as though the day being portrayed was an overcast one. The portrait is that of a man for whom happiness is presently quite elusive. His smile, if it can be categorized as such, is thin and forced. The expression in his eyes is rather hard to read; however, it certainly doesn't evoke feelings of joy and excitement. Perhaps Crimian was pondering the career 9.36 ERA he had racked up in the Major Leagues entering the 1956 season.

# # #

I’m beginning to feel a sense of accomplishment - I'm getting close to being 20% of the way towards completing the 1956 Topps set. Pacing myself and taking the time to thoroughly enjoy each card has been a blast. I’m looking forward to possibly adding a graded HOFer or two, most likely in the 4-5 range, in the near future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PostToNet54(a)20200614.jpg (74.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg PostToNet54(b)20200614.jpg (75.5 KB, 153 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-14-2020, 11:27 AM
J0hn H@rper

As far as Mayo Smith goes, I swear that card was a part of every lot of '56 commons I saw awhile back.

Am convinced there was one in every pack!
Old 06-24-2020, 10:11 AM
Eric Perry

Card #75, Roy Sievers, shows an image we could all be seeing frequently this summer. He leans against a railing which separates the field from the stands. Unlike many similar shots, there is nobody in the seats. Absolutely nobody.

While baseball fans are beginning to wrap their heads around Major League Baseball in 2020, this mid-1950s common shows us a glimpse of the "action" we're likely to see this year. Sievers lazily props himself against the rail, likely stretching out his muscles as the day begins.

The morning sun can be seen reflecting off his sunglasses, yet the empty stands are awash with a green tint rather than golden sunlight. This seems to occur frequently with 1956 Topps cards. For reasons unbeknownst to me, their creative team chose this hue on quite a few issues from this set. The more frequently I encounter this, the more familiar (and oddly appealing) the colorization becomes.

Sievers' portrait shows a 29-year-old outfielder whose career was entering its eighth season. His facial features strike the balance between being experienced enough to have gained wisdom and being young enough to have enthusiasm. He looks relaxed, content, happy.

Perhaps this frame of mind helped propel him to his first of four All-Star seasons in 1956. It seemed as though he began to hit his stride and fulfill the promise shown during his Rookie of the Year campaign in 1949 with the St. Louis Browns.

Although not a household name today, Roy Sievers surely put fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers during an eight year stretch in the mid-50s and early 60s. From 1954 through 1961, Sievers finished in the top seven of the MVP voting 3 times. He also finished in the top 31 three other times. His best season (by "classic" statistics) was 1957, when he hit .301 with 42 home runs and 114 RBI. All this while striking out only 55 times.

As a matter of fact, Sievers never struck out 100 times or more in any of his 17 big league seasons. He hit over 300 home runs. He overcame numerous injuries, suffered early in his playing days, to put together a very nice Major League career.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Topps-75-Roy-Sievers-(Front).jpg (76.9 KB, 117 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-24-2020, 04:35 PM
J@son Per1

Thumbs down

I gotta say seeing all these close ups is giving me renewed appreciation for the 56 set. Great colors and very ambitious. I still feel like all these leaping Ken Griffeyesque home run robbing catches is a little over the top but still it is growing on me.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Eric Perry

For the moment, it seems as though all the pictures have vanished. Hopefully, this is a short term software glitch.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-14-2021, 03:02 PM
Eric Perry

Don Liddle.

Know the name? I imagine many of you do. For those who don’t, let me paint a quick picture.

The date was September 29, 1954. The Indians and Giants were facing off in game 1 of the Fall Classic. In the eighth inning, with the score tied 2-2, Cleveland’s Vic Wertz launched a ball into the cavernous expanse of center field at the Polo Grounds. New York’s immensely talented outfielder, Willie Mays, gave chase and miraculously caught the fly ball before it dropped for extra bases.

“The Catch” endures to this very day as one of baseball’s most recognizable plays. Even the most casual fan has seen replays of this clip and remembers it well. Mays racing towards the wall, tracking down the baseball, pounding a fist into his glove, and making an over-the-shoulder catch. The man whose bat launched this deep fly ball has also been remembered by the majority of fans of that era.

But what about the pitcher? Far fewer people know his name. As you may have guessed, it’s Don Liddle.

I first discovered this name back in 1994. That year was notable, of course, because of the baseball strike. However, something equally significant happened for me back then. Perhaps because the sport was on hold, I began to look back and discover the history of the game. This journey of discovery was aided greatly by the release of “Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns.” Of the many memorable scenes which appeared in that series was a clip of Bob Costas discussing “The Catch.” He mentioned that Liddle had been brought into the game to face one hitter. After Mays’ spectacular play, Liddle’s deadpan remark was, “Well, I got my guy.”

Now, to me, that’s funny. I can appreciate dry humor.

In this 1956 Topps offering, card number 325, Donald Eugene Liddle exhibits a bit of that humorous streak. His lips are curled into an ever-so-slight smile, his head is cocked slightly to the side, and his eyes reveal practically nothing. Liddle looks like he’s up to something; I can imagine his gears turning beneath that classic New York Giants cap. Perhaps the cameraman made a remark about Liddle’s ears (they’re hard not to notice) and Don was planning his revenge.

To the left of Liddle’s portrait is an action shot. The southpaw is delivering (or simulating the delivery of) a pitched ball. His left arm, at the tail end of its follow-through, seems ready to jump off the edge of the card. Interestingly, the lower half of that arm almost seems a shade too long. Trick of perspective or just my perception; I can't tell which. Anyway, Liddle's other arm and glove are tucked tightly against his slender body. Perhaps this is to make room for the pitching arm whipping around his torso like a slingshot. In the background, there is an empty but beautiful expanse of green. The grass, the stands, even the wall visible in the distance are all drenched with an emerald hue. There’s a stillness to the scene, a calm and peaceful backdrop contrasting Liddle in motion.

When flipping the card over, I am greeted by the usual array of words and numbers. Liddle seemed to be on the right track, having won more games than he lost, including the World Series clincher in 1954. Poring over these numbers, I take notice to yet another incorrect birthday. This seems to be fairly common with 1956 Topps. Despite the card's biographical information, Liddle was born in 1925. May 25th, as a matter of fact. He’ll be 96 years old next week. Treasure these ballplayers from the game’s bygone eras. Let us not take them for granted. Their numbers are ever shrinking.

So, I spent some time looking at a baseball card today…a long, detailed look. What I found was a reminder of a few passions burning brightly within me: a willingness and desire to be part of the Net54 community; the enjoyment I derive from collecting this set; and the life-long love I have for this game.

Baseball truly is a glorious thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956DonLiddleFront.jpg (77.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 1956DonLiddleBack.jpg (78.3 KB, 66 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 05-14-2021, 08:45 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Eric....awesome thread and thanks for taking the time...I initially missed this and it was fun to read through from start to today. LOVED IT. My favorite thing to do is take a set and a beer and just wiki all the players no one talks about and learn their history as I thumb through the pages. This is another level. I am currently knee deep into the 1956 set myself, so very timely for me as well.

Thanks again, keep em coming! For years I have avoided this set as a 55 copy cat (55's being a favorite) and am now truly finding an appreciation for some wonderful cards...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03