NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 PM
An$on

Default You get a fake Ruth, and YOU get a fake Ruth, and ...

I'm not sure if the board even cares about these things (if not, I'll avoid them in the future), but since I noticed some other posts of fake Ruth Goudeys, I figured I'd throw this one out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-...item2edc58c541

For most of you, this is probably easy to spot if for nothing more than the typical 'I don't know about this so I'm listing it cheap' warning label. But this is a poorly-faked Ruth card with all kinds of issues such as the blurry lettering in the name, overly glossy finish (seen particularly around the name), and the tinged black edges on the back. I actually bought a common that was produced like this in the past just to show it to people and it demonstrates the exact same characteristics. In your hand, they actually feel like half the weight, too.

My favorite is that it was examined by 'the local card shop' and they said the paper felt right. Like any dealer that has managed to still maintain a brick and mortar shop in this day and age would not be falling over himself to buy it for $350 if he/she thought it was authentic.

Like I said, the information I posted surely isn't new to like 99% of you guys, but I wanted to share even if it saves one person from spending money on this junk. Someone is 'watching' the item and I hope it's just someone doing so to see if eBay will yank it or not.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:52 PM
An$on

I should also add that the edges of the red border at the bottom being torn is usually a telltale sign as well since they aren't supposed to line up exactly with the picture's border.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:48 PM

There seem to be a lot of fake Ruths out there. I tried to buy a 1935, got one for what seemed to be a pretty good price for the condition, but when I got it, it just didn't seem right. I sent some scans to some people I trusted and got opinions that it looked authentic, but the card stock was way too thin, and I'm still convinced the top and bottom layers were bleached. I sent it back and the seller didn't hassle me over the refund.

I even saw one case where someone sold a '35 Ruth card, explicitly said, "I'm selling this as a reprint," and then the very same card showed up a couple of months later, and it sold on a holiday with a manufactured backstory ("I received this as a gift many years ago") for over $200.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Farquhar View Post
I even saw one case where someone sold a '35 Ruth card, explicitly said, "I'm selling this as a reprint," and then the very same card showed up a couple of months later, and it sold on a holiday with a manufactured backstory ("I received this as a gift many years ago") for over $200.
If the new owner sold it on ebay and then shipped it across state lines via USPS, wouldn't that be kind of a serious crime?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:00 PM
And.rew C0rs0

Is it common knowledge that the '33 Goudey has the wrong birthday for Babe Ruth listed on the back? I'm sure this has been known for eons. It just caught my attention.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
If the new owner sold it on ebay and then shipped it across state lines via USPS, wouldn't that be kind of a serious crime?
I would think so, but the buyer has to figure out it's a fake and then press charges. The seller is taking the chance that a buyer is more likely to just return it, which would definitely be less hassle.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 AM
An$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
Is it common knowledge that the '33 Goudey has the wrong birthday for Babe Ruth listed on the back? I'm sure this has been known for eons. It just caught my attention.
For some it probably is - I had no idea.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 AM
An$on

Default Welp

Welp, I can't actually believe this but the item now has 12 bids and is already selling for more ($305.00) than the seller was even asking for with BIN ($300.00).

This is going to end badly, methinks.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 AM
Br.ent So.bie

You guys sure no one here wants it? After all, the seller did mention its Ruth's rookie. 😎
Old 01-16-2015, 08:00 AM
And.rew C0rs0

What is with all the unnecessary details about the seller's life in the description? He is moving cross country on a motorcycle and doesn't want to be weighed down with any possessions other than his clothing? This card weighing 1/2 ounce really would have slowed him down.

"I don't feel like dealing with grading services" is always the coup de grace of fake card listings.

Last edited by arc2q; 01-16-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

An expensive lesson?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2047675.l2565

Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 PM
An$on

Ugh - that's a shame.

If anyone wonders why these types of cards that are (correctly) sold as reprints sell for $50.00 and up, it's reasons like this. Easy to buy as a RP and then sell under the guise of "I'm not sure".

I'm not saying this seller did that, but, well, let's just say his story doesn't make any sense.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:52 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
What is with all the unnecessary details about the seller's life in the description?
Yeah, even if I know nothing about how to tell a certain item being real of fake, the over-explanatory multi-paragraph detailed reasons are the dead giveaway.

Last edited by Paul S; 01-20-2015 at 12:52 PM.