NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-13-2021, 12:46 AM

Default College student interested in investing in a Hank Aaron Rookie card

Hi all,

I am interested in investing in a 1954 Topps rookie card of Hank Aaron. I have a small collection of cards featuring my favorite players but am a very novice collector when it comes to sports cards. From what I’ve seen Aaron’s ‘54 Topps not only holds its value but is often a good card to own at any time. I’ve seen the prices it commands Andy’s a college student this is a project that would take time to save up for even with the cheapest option. I’d just like to get a feel for what I should expect to spend and if there is anyone on the forum who can share what I should look for and what I should avoid.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by AstroJake09; 01-13-2021 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:33 AM
Patrick

I'm not sure if it shows a complete picture, but based on the psa website most recent auction results page, it looks like for a low grade example (A,1,1.5,2) you are probably looking at a price of between 750$ and 2000$ depending on the grade.

Last edited by Natswin2019; 01-13-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:12 PM
Andrew

Assuming you're looking for a graded card, you will likely get a better card for your money with an SGC or BVG than a PSA.

Prices are rising across the board, but according to Vintage Card Prices (an invaluable resource), PSA 2s have been selling for a little over $2k on average (range between $1500 and $2950), whereas SGC 2s range from $890 to $1540, average of $1290.

Of course that only speaks to a nicer card for you to have. In terms of resale value, the market currently puts a premium on PSA graded cards over others (as shown above) because...??? As far as I can tell, there is no factual basis for why the market does that (and a lot of reasons not to), just "that's what the market does." Will it continue to be that way in the future? Who knows - I would like to think not, but a lot of irrational beliefs are proving to be pretty durable these days.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:08 PM
Howard Chasser

Default 2 words - set registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Assuming you're looking for a graded card, you will likely get a better card for your money with an SGC or BVG than a PSA.

Prices are rising across the board, but according to Vintage Card Prices (an invaluable resource), PSA 2s have been selling for a little over $2k on average (range between $1500 and $2950), whereas SGC 2s range from $890 to $1540, average of $1290.

Of course that only speaks to a nicer card for you to have. In terms of resale value, the market currently puts a premium on PSA graded cards over others (as shown above) because...??? As far as I can tell, there is no factual basis for why the market does that (and a lot of reasons not to), just "that's what the market does." Will it continue to be that way in the future? Who knows - I would like to think not, but a lot of irrational beliefs are proving to be pretty durable these days.
My belief as to the primary reason why PSA cards sell for more has everything to do with the PSA set registry - a forum where people compete for the best cards and sets - all in PSA holders. While an easy argument could be made to support that SGC and BVG are as competent (or incompetent) at actual grading - neither has competition for the PSA set registry.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:16 PM
Andrew

Quote:
My belief as to the primary reason why PSA cards sell for more has everything to do with the PSA set registry - a forum where people compete for the best cards and sets - all in PSA holders.
Fair point - that is indeed a stroke of marketing genius on PSA's part. Whether it constitutes a "real," factual basis for that much of a premium is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Last edited by ASF123; 01-13-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:31 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
My belief as to the primary reason why PSA cards sell for more has everything to do with the PSA set registry - a forum where people compete for the best cards and sets - all in PSA holders. While an easy argument could be made to support that SGC and BVG are as competent (or incompetent) at actual grading - neither has competition for the PSA set registry.
Totally agree. That's PSA's competitive advantage.