NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default How accurate is the PSA Registry?

Posted By: John

I'm new to the Board and have perhaps a stupid question about Graded cards.

How accurate is the PSA Registry?

I saw this one card that I was interested in a PSA 10 and the Registry says there are two examples graded in this condition. But both PSA 10's were available for sale through auctions? Could there be more (how much more) and what is the error rate on such a Registry?

Also if you don't mind, how much havoc does this play with the new half grades?

Thank you in advance!

John
Go Wings!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

For card population statistics, it is generally better to go directly to the Population Report section of PSA's website, where population stats for all grades (including the new half grades) are given for every card in every issue, rather than trying to derive them from individual Set Registry listings, where you can only see 'Pop' and 'Pop Higher' for each card in each registry set. I think you may have to be a PSA Collectors Club member to access these population reports, however.

I'm not sure what card you are looking at, but right now there appears to be a bug in the link between the Set Registry and the PSA population data base, such that the 'Pop Higher' for cards graded PSA 9 includes the PSA 9 population itself, as well as the PSA 10 population for that card (whereas 'Pop Higher' for PSA 9 cards should be equal to the PSA 10 population only, since PSA 10 is the only grade higher than PSA 9).

For example, there are currently 28 1963 Topps Hank Aaron cards graded PSA 9, and only 1 graded PSA 10. Yet the entry for my PSA 9 example of this card in the Set Registry (Hank Aaron Basic Set) shows Pop = 28 and Pop Higher = 29; it should be Pop = 28 and Pop Higher = 1:

http://www.psacard.com/set%5Fregistry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=87608&alltime=yes&requesttimeout=9999&rank=none&tied=0

The 'Pop' and 'Pop Higher' columns appear to be correct for cards graded less than PSA 9. For example, in the registry entry for my PSA 8 1954 Topps Hank Aaron, it shows Pop = 164 and Pop Higher = 23. The current 1954 Topps PSA Population Report also shows 23 '54 Topps Aaron cards graded higher than PSA 8, including 1 PSA 8.5, 20 PSA 9's, and 2 PSA 10's.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

A couple things could be at play. One is that there is the all-time best set category and the current. So cards in the all-time category may have changed hands. Second, a card at auction may still be listed in someone's set until it sells and then need to be removed afterward. But generally the registry does not contradict the pop reports.
JimB

Old 02-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

JimB -- what you say is true, but right now all of the 'Pop Higher' numbers are screwed up for PSA 9 cards in the registry. For example, look at the 'Pop Higher' column for my Hank Aaron Basic Set that I provided a link to above. For every PSA 9 card in my set (i.e. all but four of my cards), the 'Pop Higher' number shown is the sum of the PSA 9 and PSA 10 populations for that card. It doesn't matter if you select my Hank Aaron Basic Set in the All-Time Finest or in the Current Finest rankings; the 'Pop Higher' column is wrong for the PSA 9 cards in both.

Besides, if a set appears in both the All-Time Finest and the Current Finest groups, the card population numbers should be the same in both anyway, as you are not allowed to (or at least are not supposed to) re-use cert numbers from a set that has been retired from Current Finest to All-Time Finest to start a new Current Finest set in the same category.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Not extremely accurate, not accurate, but close.

They seem to not account for some of the cards they've graded. Seems that sometimes it is a data entry problem...

And some cards are broken out of those holders. They don't have a good grasp of when a 'liberated' card is resubmitted, or if it just remains free.

Also, with some really old sets, a rare/valuable card may well get graded more often than a common card from the same set. Someone looking at the pop reports might not realize that all cards aren't sent in to be graded with the same regularity.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Eric,
I was not aware of that flaw in their software. Have you ever mentioned it to them?
JimB

Old 02-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator

By the way, that is a pretty incredible Hank Aaron collection!
JimB

Old 02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Thanks JimB. Hank Aaron's cards span quite a range of BB card history. I don't care much for Topps cards issued after 1969 but I had to get Hank's 1970's cards for the set.

I know a lot of people on this forum pooh-pooh the Set Registry sometimes, they think it is for collectors who are intensely preoccupied with numerical grades or something, but I do enjoy listing my cards and images there, for my own viewing as well as anyone else who is interested.

I think the bug with the 'Pop Higher' numbers for PSA 9's appeared only recently. They are launching a new version of the Set Registry some time this Spring so I'll probably wait until then to see if the bug disappears. It isn't really a problem for me anyhow, as I can access the Pop Reports directly, if for some reason I want to find out how many 10's there are.

Here is what PSA is promising for the new version of the registry:

The new program will allow you to track your inventory with price paid and source. You will be able to add multiple sets directly from your inventory. The addition of images will be much easier and the program will automatically adjust the size of your image for you. The Collectors Showcase area will be divided into categories and your showcase collection will be easier to locate. You will be able to post comments on other members' sets. Your PSA orders can be viewed within "My Set Registry" and you will be able to add new cards to your inventory, directly from the order screen.