NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2021, 06:43 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Scanning card images

I'm a cheap bastard and have never bought a scanner. Yes, big L on the forehead. Still taking pictures of cards with a phone.

Question to the floor is should their be much variation in the images taken by two quality scanners? Can the color vary significantly based on conditions of when the photograph was taken or the lighting? And do scanners allow you to, let's say tweak, the quality of the image to any degree? I honestly have no clue.

I do know that I've seen photos recently of cards for sale, some high end ones, that look quite different to my eyes at least from the PSA photo on their card authenticator. One looks sort of dark and dull; the other photo is much much bolder. I would have to think that PSA is taking pictures on a quality piece of equipment and not a $29.99 scanner from Best Buy. But maybe PSA is known for taking shitty pictures. I have no idea.

Anyone who understands scanners and photographer care to opine as we say?

Does anyone go to PSA and compare their image with a card they about to purchase as a check of sorts?
Old 11-29-2021, 07:16 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Still taking pictures of cards with a phone.

Anyone who understands scanners and photographer care to opine as we say?
My best friend Louis is a professional A/V and web content developer at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. He also moonlights as a wedding and special event photographer after hours on occasion. He knows all about the equipment, including photo/card/slide scanners. I will forward this to him and get back with you.

I have about 80 to 90% of my cards photographed with my phone. I'm happy with that, and while I can easily afford some sort of scanner, in my situation I do not feel I need one. I use an older program called Paint Shop Pro by Jasc Software to manipulate the images after I USB transfer them to my laptop.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-29-2021, 07:21 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Scanners

Most important thing is to get a scanner with a "CCD". I use a Canon 9000F MarkII and love it. There is also a highly rated Epson model (I forget the model number).
In response to can scans be enhanced - easily and absolutley.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:25 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Most important thing is to get a scanner with a "CCD". I use a Canon 9000F MarkII and love it..
Another vote on the Canon +1
Old 11-29-2021, 07:47 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Thanks for the recommendations.

I guess what I was trying to understand is how a AH image could vary rather dramatically from what PSA has on their website. Are there perfectly reasonable explanations for some degree of variance other than enhancement?
Old 11-29-2021, 07:53 AM
Ian H@ll

I put off buying one for a long time as well. Once I did, it's a total game changer. Ditto what Lonnie and Howard said. I have the Epson v600 and could not be happier.

As for your question on different looking scans from different scanners, absolutely. And just speaking from experience, there's a range of options within a scanner and software that you could make scans of the same card that look very different. I spent the week after I bought the v600 finding the right combination of settings. I found the same thing that you mentioned on a card that PSA already had a scan of in their database. Their scan looked dull and faded compared to when I held it in hand. I don't think they're using cheap equipment, but I don't think they're spending as much time as the owner of the card might to make a catalogue image really look good. Just my $.02

Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 11-29-2021, 07:55 AM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations.

I guess what I was trying to understand is how a AH image could vary rather dramatically from what PSA has on their website. Are there perfectly reasonable explanations for some degree of variance other than enhancement?
I believe a lot of AH are using photographs now instead of scans, and I assume they're using professional setups. (stands, backgrounds, ideal lenses & settings, etc...) since it is very much in their best interests to portray the card in the best light possible. That is not as true with the stock images I've seen on PSA registry/inventory.
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 11-29-2021, 08:18 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymarine View Post
I believe a lot of AH are using photographs now instead of scans, and I assume they're using professional setups. (stands, backgrounds, ideal lenses & settings, etc...) since it is very much in their best interests to portray the card in the best light possible. That is not as true with the stock images I've seen on PSA registry/inventory.
On higher end cards it would be nicer to see a short video of the cards front and back.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:44 AM

Epson V series, 33,39 and several others, all inexpensive and work great right out of the box, but also allow for several adjustments.

Some AH are using big photograph setups, others use large flat bed scanners. Typically scanners will bring out far more details as to creases/wrinkles, etc where photos tend to mute the issue.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:30 PM
J@mes In.gram

This is what my buddy Louis had to say: he has experience with AH submittals, due to his fondness for old cars and the ephemera that accompany them. He also prepares the St. Jude web presence. He says digital photography is okay for one's own personal use, but a scanner set up for cards, with minimal handling, is the only way to go with an AH submittal. His recommendations are Canon (best) and Epson (2nd best).

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-29-2021, 01:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

There are so many different settings, both on scanning/photographing and especially on the display end that it's very common for an image to display differently on one device than another.

My scanner will automatically adjust the brightness depending on the image. So If I have say three dark cards and one lighter card I can see a difference when I move the active scanning area from one to the other.
(I can select an area that's just bigger than card size, scan, then move that selected area to the next card. I'm not sure other scanners will do that. )

If your monitor setting is bright or dim it will probably make a difference in how you perceive the colors.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:58 PM
Randy

as long as you get a CCD your scans should be good.

I use a epson v370