NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Scott

Not to discredit Vic Harris, but no one realized that back in 2006? His name wasn’t even among the 39 finalists that year for induction into the HOF!! Now he shows up as one of a final ten….yeah, that makes total sense.

I don’t understand why they can’t separate ambassadors and administrators from players. Why are Effa Manley and Alex Pompez (and even Buck O’Neil) taking up valuable slots from otherwise deserving players?
Old 11-07-2021, 08:42 PM
Kenny Cole

Here are cards of Harris, Scales, and O'Neill.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Did not realize O'Neil had a card. Fantastic.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:07 PM
Kenny Cole

He actually has two. He's also in the 1946 Almanaque Deportivo set, which is very difficult to find. Grant Johnson is on the 1897 Page Fence Giants trade card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1897 Page Fence Giants.jpg (76.1 KB, 223 views)
Old 11-07-2021, 09:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Awesome cards, Kenny!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-08-2021, 05:35 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Wouldn't it be great if two O'Neill's were voted in...."Tip" O'Neill and "Buck" O'Neil

James "Tip" O'Neill.....10-year career (1883 - 1892). Career BA = .326 (.435 in 1887)

Also....."Lefty" O'Doul

And.....Gil Hodges

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 11-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Garth Guibord

I don't think Buck has any cards from his playing days, or even coaching days for that matter. He does have a handful of modern issues, including a few with his autograph.
If anyone does have something from his playing days, I'd love to see it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck 1.jpg (14.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Buck 2.jpg (12.5 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Buck 3.jpg (10.3 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Buck 4.jpg (20.0 KB, 198 views)
Old 11-08-2021, 07:27 PM
Steve Peissig

There are two cards from Buck's playing days as Kenny mentioned and he showed one of them, the 1946-47 Caramelo Deportivo.
Here is his other one and also a Minoso from the same set, by the way for those who don't know all of cards from this set had to be hand cut from sheets ripped out of the Almanaque Deportivas publication.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck and Minnie_0001.jpg (83.9 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by mannybb24; 11-08-2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:51 PM

I vaguely remember that O'Neil has a card from the Mexican league. Can anyone confirm?
Old 11-08-2021, 07:59 PM
Steve Peissig

No, he only has two from his playing days, both from Cuba, Buck never played in the Mexican League.

Update-My bad he did play in Mexico in 1951 but he doesn’t have a Mexico issued card.

Last edited by mannybb24; 11-08-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:10 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Dahlen M116.jpg
Old 11-09-2021, 01:16 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Love the cards everyone

Thanks for sharing

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-09-2021, 01:52 PM
Ken Wirt

Pulling for these two guys (for obvious reasons)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill Dahlen - cell phone camera.jpg (69.2 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg e. Buck O'Neil.jpg (74.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 11-24-2021, 12:35 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

As a HOF collector, I probably scrutinize the process more than most but it certainly seems flawed.

I went back and reviewed the pre-integration ballot from 2016 (the closest comparison to this year's "Early Baseball" vote) and the only holdover from that ballot is Dahlen. He received a 50% (8 of 16) vote. Doc Adams received the highest percentage at 62.5% (10 of 16). Somehow he didn't make this ballot.

Regarding the Era Committees in general -- because of the screening process, it would seem that all nominees are somewhat worthy -- or, at least, relatively worthy. Layering the 4-vote limit over the screening process forces the voting members to collude (my conjecture).

Of course, it should be difficult to get elected but great screening / strong fields can lead to no one getting elected (without collusion). Further, poor screening / weak fields can lead to sub-standard inductees (with collusion; see Harold Baines). Heck, Lou Piniella almost made it in that same vote -- one vote short.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:14 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgreb View Post
As a HOF collector, I probably scrutinize the process more than most but it certainly seems flawed.

I went back and reviewed the pre-integration ballot from 2016 (the closest comparison to this year's "Early Baseball" vote) and the only holdover from that ballot is Dahlen. He received a 50% (8 of 16) vote. Doc Adams received the highest percentage at 62.5% (10 of 16). Somehow he didn't make this ballot.

Regarding the Era Committees in general -- because of the screening process, it would seem that all nominees are somewhat worthy -- or, at least, relatively worthy. Layering the 4-vote limit over the screening process forces the voting members to collude (my conjecture).

Of course, it should be difficult to get elected but great screening / strong fields can lead to no one getting elected (without collusion). Further, poor screening / weak fields can lead to sub-standard inductees (with collusion; see Harold Baines). Heck, Lou Piniella almost made it in that same vote -- one vote short.
Yep. I totally agree that it's a flawed process and one that changes too often. I remember going into that 2016 vote thinking that Bill Dahlen was practically a shoo in. His career numbers are much more impressive when viewed through a sabermetrics lens, and sabermetrics were the new shiny toy at the time. Needless to say, I was surprised that he didn't get in. If he doesn't make it this time around, they may as well remove him from the ballot.

One other player on that ballot that stood out was Harry Stovey. He also garnered 50% of the votes, but was surprisingly left off of this year's ballot. Unlike Dahlen, Stovey had numbers that are impressive from a traditional sense (he led the league in HRs 5 times, runs scored 4 times, triples 4 times and SB twice). He would have been a top roto pick with those numbers! It almost makes me think that the voters were split between traditional and more modern ways of judging a player's HOF worthiness.

All of that said, hopefully Dahlen gets the 75% this time around.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This thread is sort of a mirror of the grading process. You send in a beautiful card to PSA, wait forever, and it eventually comes back way lower than what it 'should have' been. And there's no explanation as to why the grade was 'lowered' to the number on the slab. You are left cluelessly holding a plastic slab.

With HOF candidates, you present statistical (and anecdotal) analysis showing they 'should be' voted in, but they fall short of the required vote totals and some are dropped off the ballot entirely. And again, there are no explanations proffered and you are left dumbfounded.

It would be nice if both processes had some specific transparency to show us why a card got the grade it received, and why the HOF voters voted the way they did, instead of it all being cloaked in a cloud of mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
This thread is sort of a mirror of the grading process. You send in a beautiful card to PSA, wait forever, and it eventually comes back way lower than what it 'should have' been. And there's no explanation as to why the grade was 'lowered' to the number on the slab. You are left cluelessly holding a plastic slab.

With HOF candidates, you present statistical (and anecdotal) analysis showing they 'should be' voted in, but they fall short of the required vote totals and some are dropped off the ballot entirely. And again, there are no explanations proffered and you are left dumbfounded.

It would be nice if both processes had some specific transparency to show us why a card got the grade it received, and why the HOF voters voted the way they did, instead of it all being cloaked in a cloud of mystery.
Gods do not answer letters.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:47 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Super Chief!

I'm an Allie Reynolds collector so I'd like to see him get in for several reasons, a few of them are shown below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Allie Reynolds Collection resized.jpg (78.6 KB, 62 views)

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it eat the dogfood

Last edited by Bram99; 11-24-2021 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typo