NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-03-2021, 08:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default AL Wild Card Scenarios

How incredible is it that there could be a four way tie?
https://www.mlb.com/news/american-le...kers-explained

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:24 AM
St.eve Sus.sman

As a Dodger fan, I'm looking at that scenario. In no way do I believe in or advocate throwing games, but if the Dodgers win and the Giants lose, they end up in a tie and a one-game extension of the season in San Francisco to decide the division winner. The loser of that game will host the Wild-Card game. The Dodgers' starting staff isn't in the best shape right now. Seems as though it would be better for them to just go straight to the Wild-Card and not have to play an extra game that wouldn't provide that great a benefit if they win, and puts a big strain on the pitching staff either way.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
As a Dodger fan, I'm looking at that scenario. In no way do I believe in or advocate throwing games, but if the Dodgers win and the Giants lose, they end up in a tie and a one-game extension of the season in San Francisco to decide the division winner. The loser of that game will host the Wild-Card game. The Dodgers' starting staff isn't in the best shape right now. Seems as though it would be better for them to just go straight to the Wild-Card and not have to play an extra game that wouldn't provide that great a benefit if they win, and puts a big strain on the pitching staff either way.
At least you aren't looking at having to pitch Kershaw with the season on the line.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:33 AM
D@le Irv*n

Go JAYS!
Old 10-03-2021, 08:35 AM
Larry P.

Regarding the AL, although it is fun to imagine the different wild card scenarios, it is likely irrelevant, as whoever emerges will likely be trounced by Tampa in the first round.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:42 AM
Justin

I think the most overlooked part of all this craziness is that the AL East already has four 90 win teams, despite having to play each other.
Only time in divisional era that has ever happened was 1978 AL East (which had 7 teams) and a heck of a play in game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2021, 08:43 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxb View Post
Regarding the AL, although it is fun to imagine the different wild card scenarios, it is likely irrelevant, as whoever emerges will likely be trounced by Tampa in the first round.
Deuces wild indeed with a four way playoff.

Arozarena can't wait for his post-season grand slam.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:45 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
I think the most overlooked part of all this craziness is that the AL East already has four 90 win teams, despite having to play each other.
Only time in divisional era that has ever happened was 1978 AL East (which had 7 teams) and a heck of a play in game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Orioles helped out a lot.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

If my math is correct, with 4 games today, that means there are 16 possible combinations of winners. What's above my head without going through all 16 is how many of those combinations result in 2, 3, and 4 team ties.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-03-2021 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:08 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If my math is correct, with 4 games today, that means there are 16 possible combinations of winners. What's above my head without going through all 16 is how many of those combinations result in 2, 3, and 4 team ties.
Wait 12 hours Peter and you will not have to figure anything.

Twelve is a smaller number than 16, so you should be able to handle it.

I'd give you the answer you want, but I'm busy prepping for the Packer game.

By the way Kershaw finished with 10 wins, so he is an elite starting pitcher.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-03-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:30 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Your math is not correct

1 game can only have 2 different outcomes, hence 4 games can only have 8 different outcomes?

Only 1 scenario can have a four team playoff: Both Boston & NY would have to lose, and both Seattle & Toronto would have to win

The only way a 3 team playoff can occur is if again both Seattle & Toronto win, and either Boston or NY lose

Go Mariners !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve been following this Cinderella all season

Quote:

Last edited by nineunder71; 10-03-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:40 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineunder71 View Post
Your math is not correct

1 game can only have 2 different outcomes, hence 4 games can only have 8 different outcomes?

Only 1 scenario can have a four team playoff: Both Boston & NY would have to lose, and both Seattle & Toronto would have to win

The only way a 3 team playoff can occur is if again both Seattle & Toronto win, and either Boston or NY lose

Go FISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is also more than one possibility for a 2 team playoff for the second wild card.

And if NY and BOS both lose and TOR and SEA both win, there is a 1/16 chance of a four team playoff.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:41 AM
Jason Wells

That's why baseball is the best sport. So intriguing on so many levels.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Your math is not correct

Go FISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, if each game has two possible outcomes, the total number of outcomes is 2 times 2 times 2 times 2. You multiply, not add.

You're also wrong about 3 team playoff scenarios. Suppose Seattle wins and the rest lose. Seattle, Boston, and NY are then tied. Same if only Toronto wins.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-03-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

If Boston and NY both win, the rest is irrelevant, two team playoff. I think that happens 1 in 4 times. Plus, if all 4 teams lose, two team playoff. 1 in 16 odds of that. So 5 in 16 of a two team Boston NY playoff.

1 in 16 of a 4 way tie.

But now it gets more complicated. Suppose NY OR Boston wins but not both, and both Seattle and Toronto win. All four teams get in, one clear winner and three way tie for the second wild card spot, and you now need TWO play in games just to get to the wild card game LOL.

Or, if NY OR Boston wins but not both, and Seattle OR Toronto wins but not both, you have one clear winner and a two way tie for the second wild card spot.

Or, if NY and Boston both lose, and Seattle OR Toronto wins but not both, you have a three way tie for first.

This is insane.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-03-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:57 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Yes, you are right in the 3 way, I forgot the both lose, one win scenario

Quote:
No, if each game has two possible outcomes, the total number of outcomes is 2 times 2 times 2 times 2. You multiply, not add.

You're also wrong about 3 team playoff scenarios. Suppose Seattle wins and the rest lose. Seattle, Boston, and NY are then tied. Same if only Toronto wins.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes, you are right in the 3 way, I forgot the both lose, one win scenario
Enough to make one's head spin.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:04 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Giants win today and they break the single season win record for any SF/NY team beating John McGraws 1904 106 win season.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-03-2021, 10:05 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

This is fun, but I’m getting confused, haha

I’m now counting 17 different combinations that could happen. That doesn’t seem like a logical # to me, but please tell me where I am mis-counting

All could win
All could lose
There are 4 combos were 1 team wins, the other 3 lose
There are 4 combos were 1 team loses, the other 3 win

That’s 10 different combos so far

I’m getting confused trying to add the 2 win 2 lose combos:
I’m counting 7 different ways that could happen as follows:

Tor & Sea Win
Tor & NY Win
Tor & Bos Win
Sea & NY Win
Sea & Bos Win
NY & Bos Win

HAHA, never mind, thats only six,

YES HEAD SPINNING

Last edited by nineunder71; 10-03-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:13 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Two other possibilities exist for 2022.

1. Just have the AL East start the season with a four team wild card playoff and go directly into the wild games. Why play 162 games to get into a one game playoff.

or

2. Just have the AL East play their entire schedule as double headers. With a 324 game season the chances of wild card ties would be reduced, not eliminated but less likely.

I don't know how to resolve the inevitable law suit between Seattle and Baltimore though.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Giants win today and they break the single season win record for any SF/NY team beating John McGraws 1904 106 win season.
This is an American League thread, son.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

So to recap (I think)

There could be a four way tie for the top wild card spot.
There could be a four team playoff with three teams tied for the second wild card spot, requiring a total of three games to sort out. How awesome would this be.
There could be a three team playoff with two teams tied for the second wild card spot.
There could be a simple wild card game.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-03-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:26 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Even more wild is that all 4 teams play at 3pm et today. If ever there was a reason for a split tv, today would be it. If MLB was smart they’d broadcast all 4 for free to suck fans into the post season. While a Boston fan, I’d love to see Seattle pull through.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Yes, us National Leaguers need to just stay quiet, but on this note:

Go Giants!!!! I’m a Rockies fan and really just hate the Doodies (Dodgers)

Quote:

Last edited by nineunder71; 10-03-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

From one of the math geniuses on Blowout.

Probability of any sort of play-in game: 56.25%

Two-way tie for the second WC spots: 25%

Three-way tie for the two WC spots: 12.5%

Three-way tie for the second WC spot: 12.5%

Four way tie for the two WC spots: 6.25%

This gives no consideration to today's matchups.

New York -155
Seattle -180
Boston -210
Toronto -420

Old 10-03-2021, 11:05 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

That totals 113% chance of something happening, I’ll assume he’s right

Quote:

New York -155
Seattle -180
Boston -210
Toronto -420

Last edited by nineunder71; 10-03-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:07 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

I’m just gonna stop while I’m behind, never mind

At least I’m having fun, anyone got a participation award

Quote:
That totals 113% chance of something happening, I’ll assume he’s right

Last edited by nineunder71; 10-03-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:09 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

New York -155
Seattle -180
Boston -210
Toronto -420
I know that 4-team parlays are very tough to hit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they all win today. I just pray that the M's can find a way to sneak in. It's just been soooooooo damn long.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Ok, I am confused. How is a playoff game to advance to the NLDS and have home field through the playoffs worse than a wild card game against the Cardinals to advance to the NLDS and never getting home field?
Old 10-03-2021, 11:52 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Clearly, all this excitement has clouded some of our brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Ok, I am confused. How is a playoff game to advance to the NLDS and have home field through the playoffs worse than a wild card game against the Cardinals to advance to the NLDS and never getting home field?
Old 10-03-2021, 12:22 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

rats60, the Dodgers' starting staff is a bit shot. Kershaw is out. Urias pitched last night. Buehler may or may not start today. If he does and the Dodgers win and the Giants lose, that leaves Scherzer for the tiebreaker, and he stunk it up in his last two outings. I just don't like the chances in that road game. If I were managing the Dodgers (and I have no idea why they never promoted me from souvenir stand salesman to manager in 1985), I would make today a bullpen game. Still try to win, of course. But if Scherzer has to start the tiebreaker, that would leave Buehler ready for the Wild-Card. Obviously it's better to win the division as you said, but I'm pessimistic about that happening.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Your pessimistic thoughts are right on que!

The division win streak will end, and then Arenado, a SoCal boy, will ‘rake’ you guys right on back to Beverly Hills where you can enjoy a beautiful winter retreat….it really is nice there!

U heard it here first!!

Quote:
rats60, the Dodgers' starting staff is a bit shot. Kershaw is out. Urias pitched last night. Buehler may or may not start today. If he does and the Dodgers win and the Giants lose, that leaves Scherzer for the tiebreaker, and he stunk it up in his last two outings. I just don't like the chances in that road game. If I were managing the Dodgers (and I have no idea why they never promoted me from souvenir stand salesman to manager in 1985), I would make today a bullpen game. Still try to win, of course. But if Scherzer has to start the tiebreaker, that would leave Buehler ready for the Wild-Card. Obviously it's better to win the division as you said, but I'm pessimistic about that happening.

Last edited by nineunder71; 10-03-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
How quickly things change in baseball. A week ago we would have said the Dodger starting rotation was invincible -- imagine, a 20 game winner as arguably only your fourth best pitcher behind two first ballot HOFers and a youngster on his way to superstardom.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-03-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:57 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

Colton, I agree that the division streak is likely over, but in the postseason the Giants will get a one-way ticket back to the Tenderloin. I'm just happy that after all that money-spending and cockiness, the Padres finished out of the money.

Peter, Urias has been the best pitcher all season. He deserves the Cy Young, but most likely won't get it. If wins don't count anymore, just award the World Series to the team with the lowest ERA or highest WAR and we won't have to worry about any of this playoff math.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Colton, I agree that the division streak is likely over, but in the postseason the Giants will get a one-way ticket back to the Tenderloin. I'm just happy that after all that money-spending and cockiness, the Padres finished out of the money.

Peter, Urias has been the best pitcher all season. He deserves the Cy Young, but most likely won't get it. If wins don't count anymore, just award the World Series to the team with the lowest ERA or highest WAR and we won't have to worry about any of this playoff math.
Isn't Urias allowing half a run per game more than Buehler and Scherzer? IMO that matters more than wins which depend on externalities.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-03-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Ha! That’s the league with the batter that doesn’t play a position, correct?

-
Old 10-03-2021, 01:05 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

Quote:
Isn't Urias allowing half a run per game more than Buehler and Scherzer? IMO that matters more than wins which depend on externalities.
He won the most games, which is what matters most. As I said, they don't award the World Series to the team with the lowest ERA.

Last edited by SteveS; 10-03-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ha! That’s the league with the batter that doesn’t play a position, correct?
Exactly. The league where one batter in nine isn't essentially an automatic out.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He's also winning more games, which is what matters most.
We disagree then on the importance of wins as a statistic for an individual pitcher. Suppose Scherzer loses a 1-0 game and Urias wins a 5-3 game. Would you really say Urias was better? Not I.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-03-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:17 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

While the Red Sox have already surpassed my expectations for them this season, if they do get in, it will be a short October for them. The pitching isn't deep enough, and their defense isn't doing them any favors.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:21 PM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Yes, Urias was your stud last year in the playoffs, along with May. However, Urias will not be this year’s Cy Young winner, as u stated, and for good reason, there are better options

I’m also happy that the Friars are out in this manner!

However, WINS do matter, as these giants have shown all year, no need to go to WAR & ERA, just win the games if you are the better team, which They have been!

Quote:

Old 10-03-2021, 01:23 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Let the Race begin

All Teams are out of the starting gate

Let’s see where we end up in a few hours

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-03-2021, 01:25 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Between Football and the Redsox I have 4 games on watching this all unfold.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
While the Red Sox have already surpassed my expectations for them this season, if they do get in, it will be a short October for them. The pitching isn't deep enough, and their defense isn't doing them any favors.
I agree with your reasoning but I have not lost hope, short series, a few guys get hot and a few opponents get cold, and presto.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:29 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
I agree with your reasoning but I have not lost hope, short series, a few guys get hot and a few opponents get cold, and presto.
Peter, I hope you're right.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:39 PM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Again, Go Fish!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Peter, I hope you're right.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:09 PM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Every thread needs a card, right?

Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906

Last edited by rugbymarine; 10-03-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:15 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

Quick story about my experience in a season finale. I played for Venice High School. In the last regular-season game of my senior year, we needed to beat Palisades to get into the playoffs. We were losing by three going into the bottom of the seventh (the games were seven Innings). We loaded the bases, and Pali brought their third baseman to the mound to relieve. First batter he faced hit a walk-off grand slam for the win and postseason berth. Who was that Pali player who served it up? Some guy named Steve Kerr. Wonder whatever became of him.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:53 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Exactly. The league where one batter in nine isn't essentially an automatic out.
Giants pitcher Logan Webb just hit a two run shot to increase their lead 9-1.

-
Old 10-03-2021, 03:00 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

chevychasenomath.jpg

“It was my understanding that there would be no math.”

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 10-03-2021 at 03:25 PM.