NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2024, 04:00 PM
Gary

Default Who's going to Chantilly?

The next Chantilly show is April 5-7.

I managed to get a day's layover in DC from a business trip, so I'll be able to attend the Chantilly show on Sat Apr 6th. I'm wondering if there'll be any other net54ers around?
Old 04-06-2024, 05:27 AM
Gary

I got zippo responses to this but I thought I'd try again since the show is today.

I'm at Chantilly today. If anyone's around it'd be great to say hi.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:41 AM

Don’t take it personally. I don’t be there (out of town), but as one who almost always goes, I promise there will be plenty of eye candy and many Net54 peeps walking the floor
Old 04-06-2024, 06:42 AM
Jim Reynolds

If I didn’t get stuck at work today, I would’ve been there
Old 04-06-2024, 09:34 AM
Hank Thomas

I was there for a couple hours yesterday, and found it to be a ton of fun and very exciting. It's been four years since I've been there and eight since I set up, and it struck me as almost a completely different show now. In 20 years of doing the Chantilly show, I never remember a Friday with this kind of crowd and buzz. There are also more dealers, with entire sections of the floor that never had tables before. As for vintage, I saw a fair amount in the limited time I spent checking out the room. But mostly it seemed as though the generational shift underway is almost complete, with a new definition of "vintage" cards, autographs, etc., sought after by younger cohorts than me and my fellow dinosaurs. And that's great, just as it should be. From now on the really old stuff will be found almost entirely in auctions and premier shows like the National and Philly, I think. It was great to run into one of the small group of fellow Senators/Nationals collectors from the good old days of the 90s, Charlie Descalzi, and we spent an hour or so alternating between laughing at our antics from the wonderful times we had to reminiscing and grieving over the many dear friends we've lost. So it goes. For some specifics that grabbed my attention, stalwart Net54er Howard Chasser is keeping the prewar and postwar vintage lamp lit with several tables of terrific early stuff of all kinds, including some really beautiful old cards. He had the nicest WaJo "1" I've ever seen, with beautiful deep rich colors and perfect registration in the image, everything I'd want in a card with a very reasonable price tag. If I wasn't downsizing, that card would have been going home with me! Tom Spiker from Baltimore, one of the reliably great dealers doing the Chantilly show for decades had the prettiest Walter Johnson For Congress primary pin I've ever seen--it would grade a 9 or 10, I'll bet--at a ridiculously fair price, which is how Tom has always rolled. His gorgeous Baltimore Bullets dishware set made me wish I was a fan of that franchise so I could put those on display in my "office." Sooner than I would have liked, my Winchester buddy reminded me it was time to test out what I had been telling him about Willard's B-B-Q and we were off to have what he described later as "The best sandwich I've ever had in my life." He had the brisket, and I had the open turkey, the best of that kind I've ever eaten. What a great day, then it was back into the mountains until the next show.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the report, Hank. Our good friend Howard Chasser is doing a little work for me, so I'm happy with his shout out. Glad you had a great time, and food as well.

Gary, I couldn't make it in from northern Indiana, but I sure would have wanted to meet you! Have a great time, and I hope God blesses you with some marvelous finds. Make a lot of nice memories, sir. --- Brian Powell
Old 04-06-2024, 02:45 PM
Melissa

Good event with a variety of cards and several booths/tables with vintage, incl non-sport cards. I went early this morning and there was still a long line to get in late morning/midday when I headed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2024, 05:11 PM
Don

Was packed today.

Good seeing plenty of Net54ers in person
Old 04-06-2024, 05:35 PM
Gary

I managed to bump into a few Net54ers at the show. (I think my bright orange Net54 t-shirt helped). It was a great show. I flew in last night and with jetlag still working in my favor, I was waiting in the expo lobby at 8am. It was getting crowded in there until they opened the doors at 9am
Not 858am....not 859am...it was exactly 9am.

I made my way to the PSA stand first to get 3 autos certified. But they weren't doing encapsulations on site so I had to settle for a take away submission. Hopefully my nerves will hold out until my Jimmie Foxx auto shows up in the PSA tracking.

There was a good mix of vintage (pre and post war), memorabilia and shiny modern. I saw a food smattering of goudeys, t205s, T3s, t206s. I mostly picked up post war vintage as well as a bunch of 1934 diamond matchbooks and some 1940 playball.as well.as this Ted Williams pennant.

Most of all it was great getting to chat with collector's and dealers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240406_190055.jpg (222.4 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by UKCardGuy; 04-06-2024 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I mostly picked up post war vintage as well as a bunch of 1934 diamond matchbooks and some 1940 playball.as well.as this Ted Williams pennant.
Gorgeous!
Old 04-07-2024, 08:21 AM
Jeff P

Default Chantilly

I was there on Friday from 3-7. I wouldn't say it was crazy busy for a Friday, but there was a steady stream of traffic that picked up once people got out of work.

Around 3:30 or so I stood in the middle and took a photo in all four directions. EDIT: not sure why the 4th photo is not showing up. Maybe a limit of some sort on Net54???

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 04-07-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:24 AM
Jeff P

Fourth photo.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 04-07-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 08:44 AM
qualitycards

Jeff thanks for posting the photos, looks like a great show
Old 04-07-2024, 08:48 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I went Friday. It was fun and there was a good selection, but I am struggling to get my head around the new pricing. Everything seemed insanely priced...but it could be me. I think I spent about $50.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:06 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I went Friday. It was fun and there was a good selection, but I am struggling to get my head around the new pricing. Everything seemed insanely priced...but it could be me. I think I spent about $50.
I’m right there with you, Todd. You spent $50 more than I did. I might need to win Powerball before handling recent pricing.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:18 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Met my son (he lives in Bethesda) there on Saturday around 11:00 and we stayed until closing. The crowd on Saturday was bigger than any I'd seen before as we had to park at the Walmart. Didn't make any big purchases, but did add quite a few 196Xs Reds for my team collection and made progress on the 53T set I'm working. Lots and lots of new, shiny cards in flips and guys walking around with metal cases. But still enough pre and post war vintage to make it a good show.

I did drop off 17 cards at the SGC booth including a Koufax RC and a Nolan RC - fingers crossed on the return.

Lots of folks there just for autos as they had quite the football lineup present.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:31 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Lots of folks there just for autos as they had quite the football lineup present.
Speaking of the autographs, the promoters had a loud PA system where they kept calling out announcements about the autos. "ViP ticket holders can now have their photo taken with Barry Sanders." "VIP and regular ticket holders can ger their photo taken with Barry Sanders." "Anyone wh wants their photo taken with Barry Sanders come forwardnow" and on and on it went. It was like living under an airport flypath. Near constant noise that made it hard to speak to people in the main show area. I love Barry Sanders but after the 15th announcement, they can just f*** off.

I spoke to a few dealers about it and it seemed like it llthe near constant PA announcements were universally hated but they were resigned to it as a part of life.

Does that happen at all large shows? It would be good for promoters to find a better way.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:12 AM
Scott Russell

Yes every major show is like for the most part. Dealer's would love a solution but I can't come up with one.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-10-2024, 01:23 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Yes every major show is like for the most part. Dealer's would love a solution but I can't come up with one.
At the few Nationals I have attended, if you were not near the Tri-Star autograph area, nothing much was heard. Granted, the National is massive and has substantial crowd noise. Frankly, as one who collects autographs, I like a good PA system. I have attended a few shows were the PA system sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher. At Chantilly, I can walk the floor and not have to stand in the autograph area waiting for my number to be called. It is interesting that a collector with a ticket number in the 300's will wait at the autograph entrance for fear of missing out on the player.

I have heard this more than once - "Chantilly is an autograph show with the added bonus of dealers selling cards". Thoughts?

Last edited by Huck; 04-10-2024 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:45 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
At the few Nationals I have attended, if you were not near the Tri-Star autograph area, nothing much was heard. Granted, the National is massive and has substantial crowd noise. Frankly, as one who collects autographs, I like a good PA system. I have attended a few shows were the PA system sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher. At Chantilly, I can walk the floor and not have to stand in the autograph area waiting for my number to be called. It is interesting that a collector with a ticket number in the 300's will wait at the autograph entrance for fear of missing out on the player.

I have heard this more than once - "Chantilly is an autograph show with the added bonus of dealers selling cards". Thoughts?
I have heard this quite often. The main draw at this show is autographs.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:51 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I have heard this quite often. The main draw at this show is autographs.
No doubt and much to my chagrin baseball guests are thin. Have a look see behind the curtain where the mail order and bulk sales get signed. The amount of material in the back is unbelievable. That is where the $$$ is made.

Did anyone take issue with the $20 entrance fee? Granted prices are up all over the board, but $20 to gain entrance to a card, err autograph show? Yeah, yeah, the pre-show price was $15, but still. Whew.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:52 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
No doubt and much to my chagrin baseball guests are thin. Have a look see behind the curtain where the mail order and bulk sales get signed. The amount of material in the back is unbelievable. That is where the $$$ is made.

Did anyone take issue with the $20 entrance fee? Granted prices are up all over the board, but $20 to gain entrance to a card, err autograph show? Yeah, yeah, the pre-show price was $15, but still. Whew.
If you think that is bad, take a look at dealer fees. Yikes!
Old 04-10-2024, 02:13 PM

I sent in my John Elway Oneonta Yankees card for this show. I seriously can't wait to get it back in the mail. I've been waiting quite a while for Elway to do another signing and was thrilled to see him at this one.

Just wish I could have been there in person.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:58 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
If you think that is bad, take a look at dealer fees. Yikes!
My toxic trait, thinks I could drop the $500 or $650 for the entry level tables and over three days make some money.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
My toxic trait, thinks I could drop the $500 or $650 for the entry level tables and over three days make some money.
OMG! Far cry from the old days when Marco would let you take extra tables for free, extra passes for your buddies, configure your setup for tons of space, etc. Supply and demand, I guess. Total cost would be around $225 for early payment. Great show then, great show now, just different. Hobby has changed a lot, and shows with it.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:55 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Did anyone see photos of Tyson who was there signing autos? For some reason, he decided to go shirtless while meeting folks and signing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAE
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:41 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I usually find nothing that interests me at that show as I do not collect the major 4 sports. This was the first time I went to that show and paid for autographs. I got a 1976 Olympic gold medal match ticket signed by Sugar Ray Leonard and a 1988 Olympic gold medal match ticket signed by Lennox Lewis which was already signed by Roy Jones, Jr. As Ray was signing the ticket there was this person standing there saying he wanted a photo of the ticket and I was saying to myself 'My property you cannot have a photo'. After it was signed he asked if he could take a picture of it so I said 'Ten bucks!'. It was only then that they explained that he worked for Ray. I guess there is a photo of Ray and ugly me holding the ticket on his social media. I don't do so-meds so I am not sure. Ray recognized me from the Boxing Hall of Fame as I had given him a photo he had never seen before of him with 4 other Maryland Olympians after the 1976 games.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-11-2024, 11:14 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
OMG! Far cry from the old days when Marco would let you take extra tables for free, extra passes for your buddies, configure your setup for tons of space, etc. Supply and demand, I guess. Total cost would be around $225 for early payment. Great show then, great show now, just different. Hobby has changed a lot, and shows with it.
Marco was a great guy. I just wish the new crew would bring in some baseball guests. I understand that football is king, but reruns of Cowboys and Steelers grows tiresome.