NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I am with Ted. Looking forward to seeing those near mint cards in holders.

Until then I am not convinced these two jokers are totally out to make their business great again....
So far we only have updates from people who do not care if their cards are graded correctly or they won items that were worth a few bucks each. Nobody here has admitted to having bought one of Candiman's higher dollar cards.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
Look out, look out the Candyman, Here he comes and he's gone again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvbHdlplEvw

Very nice SlipK1068. BIG fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default Candiman Update

I placed some bids on cards I felt comfortable with. Overall, I still don't feel real comfortable with them, but I can't bash the cards themselves. But I didn't buy any high dollar NM cards either. I felt kind of dirty bidding and winning cards from them and still do. Maybe that's fair or not, but it's reality.

1. I paid quickly on Sunday when I got my invoice. Didn't hear anything back from them and there was no update in status in the My Account Section. I emailed Tuesday evening asking for an expected ship date and if their website would update with tracking info. Got crickets. Emailed again on Friday and they replied stating they would send me tracking info the next day. They sent the tracking info, but didn't tell me it was FedEx so all weekend I kept wondering if I got a bogus tracking #. Monday night I got an email from FedEx stating the expected delivery. Would have liked to see a little quicker communication even if just an expected ship date or more timely updates on their site.
2. Cards were packed okay with one exception. I won 8 individual cards + 1 20 card low/mid grade lot of 1955 Topps commons, so 28 cards total. Cards packed in a oversized box with lots of peanuts. Inside was a smaller box with the cards. Individual cards were in either Card Saver I's or top loaders. Graded Cards (3) in a team bag together. The 20 1955's were in a plastic baggie with no other protection. Wasn't a fan of that, but they were packed in the box tightly so I doubt there was any damage. Hell they were lower grade, I wouldn't know anyway.
3. The only "expensive" card I won was a 1953 Topps Satchel Paige VGEX. I could pretty much tell it wasn't VGEX from the pic and bid accordingly. I checked and it measured correctly. I figure it will grade a PSA 2 - PSA 3. I can make a few bucks if it grades a 2, and do okay if it gets a 3. But there is no way in hell it will see a 4. Pic attached. Note the back was fine and similar to the front.
4. The other cards I got were:
- A beater '54 Bowman Pee Wee Reese which I picked up for $5 for a friend.
- 1972 Pete Rose NMMT (I'll have it graded). Card looks nice, but I expect a 7.
- 1984 Fleer Don Mattingly - Mint+ - I grew up a big Mattingly fan so I took a flyer. It's a sharp card, so I could see a nice 8 or 9. I'll send it to PSA, but it's a PC card for sure.
- 1985 Mark McGwire - 1 raw NMMT+ - again, nice card. I could see anything from a 7-9.
Bought 3 low dollar graded cards as well.
So overall, I can't say they did a bad job, but I think they still have a long way to go to win over someone like me who was and is still very skeptical. I know they were busy preparing a lot of orders to ship, but they were also taking the time to buy a lot of cards at the same time. So expect more raw cards in their next auction. More to come on that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Topps Satchel Paige.jpg (77.4 KB, 746 views)
Old 03-22-2018, 08:48 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The Paige has decent eye appeal. I would guess a 2.5 or 3.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
That's what I'm hoping. The crease in his cap is more of a wrinkle as you can't see or feel anything from it on the back. The biggest thing that will hurt it is the rounded corners. My guess because of the centering and eye appeal is a 2.5. I probably won't send it in until next month (see what April specials are available) on a 10+ card $10 bulk. But that is a 50-day turnaround now, so it will be awhile before I get results.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Dan Bretta

Stuff trumps all.

The end.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
I placed some bids on cards I felt comfortable with. Overall, I still don't feel real comfortable with them, but I can't bash the cards themselves. But I didn't buy any high dollar NM cards either. I felt kind of dirty bidding and winning cards from them and still do. Maybe that's fair or not, but it's reality.

1. I paid quickly on Sunday when I got my invoice. Didn't hear anything back from them and there was no update in status in the My Account Section. I emailed Tuesday evening asking for an expected ship date and if their website would update with tracking info. Got crickets. Emailed again on Friday and they replied stating they would send me tracking info the next day. They sent the tracking info, but didn't tell me it was FedEx so all weekend I kept wondering if I got a bogus tracking #. Monday night I got an email from FedEx stating the expected delivery. Would have liked to see a little quicker communication even if just an expected ship date or more timely updates on their site.

2. Cards were packed okay with one exception. I won 8 individual cards + 1 20 card low/mid grade lot of 1955 Topps commons, so 28 cards total. Cards packed in a oversized box with lots of peanuts. Inside was a smaller box with the cards. Individual cards were in either Card Saver I's or top loaders. Graded Cards (3) in a team bag together. The 20 1955's were in a plastic baggie with no other protection. Wasn't a fan of that, but they were packed in the box tightly so I doubt there was any damage. Hell they were lower grade, I wouldn't know anyway.

3. The only "expensive" card I won was a 1953 Topps Satchel Paige VGEX. I could pretty much tell it wasn't VGEX from the pic and bid accordingly. I checked and it measured correctly. I figure it will grade a PSA 2 - PSA 3. I can make a few bucks if it grades a 2, and do okay if it gets a 3. But there is no way in hell it will see a 4. Pic attached. Note the back was fine and similar to the front.

4. The other cards I got were:

- A beater '54 Bowman Pee Wee Reese which I picked up for $5 for a friend.

- 1972 Pete Rose NMMT (I'll have it graded). Card looks nice, but I expect a 7.

- 1984 Fleer Don Mattingly - Mint+ - I grew up a big Mattingly fan so I took a flyer. It's a sharp card, so I could see a nice 8 or 9. I'll send it to PSA, but it's a PC card for sure.

- 1985 Mark McGwire - 1 raw NMMT+ - again, nice card. I could see anything from a 7-9.

Bought 3 low dollar graded cards as well.

So overall, I can't say they did a bad job, but I think they still have a long way to go to win over someone like me who was and is still very skeptical. I know they were busy preparing a lot of orders to ship, but they were also taking the time to buy a lot of cards at the same time. So expect more raw cards in their next auction. More to come on that...

How do you know they were buying a lot of raw cards?

Old 03-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I was an underbidder on that Paige. I just didn't see it getting higher than a '2' if it was unaltered, and with the backstory on the cards, the odds were pretty good that some of those might come back "A". I bid accordingly.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:41 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I just didn't see it getting higher than a '2' if it was unaltered
I'm not sure how they would grade that right border. Would that be considered paper loss or chipping? If they consider it chipping, I can see it getting a 3, maybe even a 3.5. If it's paper loss, maybe even as low as a 1.5. I don't submit to PSA, so I'm not familiar with their grading standards.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:18 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I'm not sure how they would grade that right border. Would that be considered paper loss or chipping? If they consider it chipping, I can see it getting a 3, maybe even a 3.5. If it's paper loss, maybe even as low as a 1.5. I don't submit to PSA, so I'm not familiar with their grading standards.
They consider it "chipping", but I was looking at the four corners and the creased corner on the bottom right. They are too fuzzy. I bet money it would grade a '2', give or take a half. No way was it a '4' like they described. Plus it has a wrinkle running from the top down thru his cap. If the card '3's, I would sell it as quick as I could before the grader changed his mind.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 03-23-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:06 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
They consider it "chipping", but I was looking at the four corners and the creased corner on the bottom right. They are too fuzzy. I bet money it would grade a '2', give or take a half. No way was it a '4' like they described. Plus it has a wrinkle running from the top down thru his cap. If the card '3's, I would sell it as quick as I could before the grader changed his mind.
so you are saying they didnt describe the card accurately at all to say its a 4..with zero chance to be a 4...or at least 99 out of a 100 chance.....
Old 03-23-2018, 03:15 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
so you are saying they didnt describe the card accurately at all to say its a 4..with zero chance to be a 4...or at least 99 out of a 100 chance.....
I'm saying that card will not '4'. It will probably '2'...the winning bidder thinks it will '2' and would be pleased with a '3' grade. Based upon where they got the cards from, let's hope the cards grade at all. Not a knock against Candiman, but their relatives were pure shysters. No, I'm not a professional grader, but I have sent enough cards to PSA that I know what they look for.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 03-23-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
I'm saying that card will not '4'. It will probably '2'...the winning bidder thinks it will '2' and would be pleased with a '3' grade. Based upon where they got the cards from, let's hope the cards grade at all. Not a knock against Candiman, but their relatives were pure shysters. No, I'm not a professional grader, but I have sent enough cards to PSA that I know what they look for.
In response to the previous poster you replied to, I would say yeah, they over graded the card. I see 0% of a chance it will grade a 4. The corners are just too rounded. I bid and paid figuring I would be okay if it graded a 2, but hopeful for a 2.5 or 3. I'd be shocked and very happy if it sees a 3.5, but that is not my expectation. The chipping, the wrinkle, the rounding corners, etc all fit within PSA's guidelines for a 3. But add them all up and it could easily see a 2 or 2.5 because it is well centered and the surface and color is actually pretty nice.

I will certainly report back when I get it back from PSA, but unfortunately that's probably 3 months from now. Of course there is worry it doesn't grade. If it doesn't then we will truly see if they will back their words.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:56 PM
Jeff Lar.son

I wouldn't worry about that card not grading. It doesn't fit the Battlefield standard for cracked auths. For that situation they pretty much stuck to cards that looked NM or better.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:37 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batpig View Post
I wouldn't worry about that card not grading. It doesn't fit the Battlefield standard for cracked auths. For that situation they pretty much stuck to cards that looked NM or better.
That was pretty much my thinking when I bid on it. Of course, one never knows.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think 2.5, gets the half grade for nice centering. Good luck to you.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-23-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:47 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Doesn't mean the lower edge hasn't been touched up. It's hard to tell if there is bleeding to the edge. Did you blacklight it?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-28-2018, 06:40 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Agree with Peter. 2.5 and not more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

I had hoped there would be more feedback on the cards, particularly the higher end ones. I don't feel that at this point, I know any more than I did before the auction.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I had hoped there would be more feedback on the cards, particularly the higher end ones. I don't feel that at this point, I know any more than I did before the auction.
Personally, I chose to stay away from the NM/MT specimens. I am curious as well though, but I'm sure people won't know until they come back from PSA. In 4-5 months, I expect results to come trickling in.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Personally, I chose to stay away from the NM/MT specimens. I am curious as well though, but I'm sure people won't know until they come back from PSA. In 4-5 months, I expect results to come trickling in.
I am sure many if not most guys here can detect an obvious flaw that wasn't apparent from the scan, without needing PSA to tell them about it. I might not be able to detect expert microtrimming, but I could certainly tell if corners had more wear than the scan and grade suggested, or if there were wrinkles or stains, etc. etc.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-28-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:19 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Peter, I think you're right. I gave the feedback I could, but I didn't delve into any of the higher end stuff. I did make a roughly $300 bid for one of the 1960 raw Mantle's but got outbid late. My only purchase where there could be good feedback is on that '53 Satchell Paige, but even that is limited. I participated, but still don't feel comfortable jumping in with both feet with them.

I'll wait until April 7 and see what they are offering in their next auction and I may have some good info for you on the cards they may offer. I have some info but I would rather wait to see what cards they post and how they list them before going deeper.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:27 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
The only NMMT cards I won were a 1972 Pete Rose, 1984 Fleer Don Mattingly and 1985 Topps McGwire. I'd be surprised if any grades less than a 7, so I would have to give them a pass there, but those are low dollar "newer" cards.

I'll be submitting those 3 and the '53 Paige early in April. So we'll know by maybe late July?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Scott Russell

Like a lot of others I only bid on lower end stuff. I won most of the Berk Ross cards.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Eric
Eric

Maybe someone will go to a show and get a card graded on site, but unlikely due to on-site fees
Old 03-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Ben North

I will say as one of the morons who stuck up for Daniel I STILL have not received my cards or even a tracking # that they are on the way.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Really? I thought he was good sending out to people. I got mine no problem

Old 03-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I will say as one of the morons who stuck up for Daniel I STILL have not received my cards or even a tracking # that they are on the way.
Ben sorry to hear that. Have you called or written?

Old 03-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Ben sorry to hear that. Have you called or written?
Emailed with no response yet.

EDIT: Just heard back and they are being sent out tomorrow. I sent a check and knew it would be delayed but didn't figure it would be this long.

Last edited by bnorth; 03-28-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Emailed with no response yet.

EDIT: Just heard back and they are being sent out tomorrow. I sent a check and knew it would be delayed but didn't figure it would be this long.
Good.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

cross reference

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253180

Old 03-30-2018, 06:41 AM
Al Richter

heh