NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2021, 09:39 PM
Joe M.

Default Selling $10,000 + sale on ebay

How to handle $10,000 + sales on eBay. Anyone sold items for this amount on eBay & how to handle payments.? Any Suggestions appreciated. Thanks Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 10-15-2021, 10:52 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I've always just accepted whatever payment method eBay offers the buyer. I think I've only ever sold items over $10k via 'Buy-it-now' which requires immediate payment. However, if it were an auction listing and the buyer wanted to send a check or bitcoin or whatever, I would accept that too. Just ensure the funds have been cleared first before shipping. And before shipping, I recommend you have some sort of private insurance policy (like CIS) to cover you in case there are any issues during shipping, because despite them offering you "shipping insurance", USPS, FedEx, and UPS will all screw you over if the package gets lost (the fine print in your insurance agreement with them limits you to $1,000 worth of coverage despite the fact that you paid for much more than that). Also, some people try to avoid accepting wire transfers for large payments because they don't like giving out their account numbers. Just be sure that you're comfortable with whatever risks you take on when receiving payment, and ask your bank if you have any questions. But all-in-all, it's usually pretty easy. Most buyers pay with a credit card or PayPal. As far as shipping goes, be sure to require a signature for delivery, and I recommend sending the package via Express mail, whether that's through FedEx or USPS. It's worth paying the premium for IMO. Those packages receive better care and attention in my experience.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:40 AM

that level of sale, i'd probably use a 3rd party to sell it. takes all the risk out of your hands and assume the fees aren't much different than you're giving ebay.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:36 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

My fear has always been that someone will pay pal me the funds, I will go mail it, and then 30 minutes later I will get a message that they canceled the transaction. Has never happened but those sorts of shenanigans do worry me. As soon as the money hits my paypal it's transferred to the bank.

Frankly I think a lot of folks don't feel comfortable doing that level of transaction over eBay. I'd give it to one of the AHs that advertise here. A nice presentation by an AH can go a long way.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:53 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
My fear has always been that someone will pay pal me the funds, I will go mail it, and then 30 minutes later I will get a message that they canceled the transaction. Has never happened but those sorts of shenanigans do worry me. As soon as the money hits my paypal it's transferred to the bank.

Frankly I think a lot of folks don't feel comfortable doing that level of transaction over eBay. I'd give it to one of the AHs that advertise here. A nice presentation by an AH can go a long way.
From stories told here on Net54, I agree wouldn't sell a $10k item on ebay. Especially if you are doing it in immediate future. It's getting close to holiday shipping season, and last year hundreds of Net54 members were sharing stories of lost packages, or packages sitting not being unloaded. Every major news service is already running stories that consumers should expect the same problems this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-16-2021, 07:55 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I have never had an issue at that level buying or selling cards on ebay.

However, at that level I would rather sell at an auction house mainly because of the potential for more people with those funds looking and potentially bidding on it and potentially getting in a bidding war(or caught up in it) and you getting a higher prices then you would have.

The fee is higher at the Auction House but IMO it is worth it for the reasons I mentioned and the cleaner financial and shipping transactions that that Auction House handles for you

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-16-2021, 08:14 AM
Joe M.

Thanks for all the input, I will probably go with AH. I have sold high price items via AH before. I was curious because I saw an item that sold for $12,000.00. I have a similar item I am thinking of selling. I messaged the seller about the sale price, but no answer yet. Joe

N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 10-16-2021, 08:19 AM
Fred

How much are the ebay fees or a $10K transaction? If it were sold via an auction house then it could be a 15% fee ($1,500).

I used to sell things on ebay and never got burned as a seller but that was a long time ago.

Last edited by Fred; 10-16-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:52 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
How much are the ebay fees or a $10K transaction? If it were sold via an auction house then it could be a 15% fee ($1,500).

I used to sell things on ebay and never got burned as a seller but that was a long time ago.
Sports memorabilia is 12.35% up to $7500 and 2.35% of the portion above $7500. The fee on $10000 would be $985.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:55 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Just a FYI, Ebay changed their policy on sports cards returns, buyers now have 3 days to return a sports card if the seller doesn't offer returns instead of the old 30 days.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:03 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

And I don’t know any auction houses that will charge you a selling commission on a $10,000 item! I would certainly never use this auction house?
Old 10-16-2021, 10:12 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
And I don’t know any auction houses that will charge you a selling commission on a $10,000 item! I would certainly never use this auction house?
Agreed

usually on high end/value cards the Auction House will waive the fee (They may not give points back that is usually for higher end/value cards but it never hurts to ask)

Thus it is cheaper then ebay fee wise and you get the other potential benefits already mentioned.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-16-2021, 10:17 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
It's really odd. I had an over 6 figure card that I sold with an AH earlier this year. Knew 99% who I wanted to sell it with anyway, but had a few discussions with AH's I've purchased from in the past. With one of them had a perfectly odd conversation where the owner was like "I can see what I can possibly do to reduce the seller's commission . . ." The whole point of my call was to see how much over 100% I could negotiate. It's just a weird dance. I'm not saying they are trying to take advantage of uninformed sellers, but it definitely seems like they are trying to see how much you know. Like walking into a car dealership. Call of course went nowhere and I sent the card to the AH I wanted to use all long. Guy didn't help him self with the cagey poker routine.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-16-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:56 AM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Default Interesting

Quote:
It's really odd. I had an over 6 figure card that I sold with an AH earlier this year. Knew 99% who I wanted to sell it with anyway, but had a few discussions with AH's I've purchased from in the past. With one of them had a perfectly odd conversation where the owner was like "I can see what I can possibly do to reduce the seller's commission . . ." The whole point of my call was to see how much over 100% I could negotiate. It's just a weird dance. I'm not saying they are trying to take advantage of uninformed sellers, but it definitely seems like they are trying to see how much you know. Like walking into a car dealership. Call of course went nowhere and I sent the card to the AH I wanted to use all long. Guy didn't help him self with the cagey poker routine.

Interesting...I am not a big user of AH but will be using one for a couple of items I have. I knew most would waive the fee or don't charge any for sellers...but wasn't aware you could negotiate to get (essentially) part of the buyer's premium as well. Thanks
Old 10-16-2021, 10:58 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
OVER 6 figures??? So it as a million dollar card?? Can I ask what card it was?
Old 10-16-2021, 11:25 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
OVER 6 figures??? So it as a million dollar card?? Can I ask what card it was?
That would be seven figures
Old 10-16-2021, 03:02 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
That would be seven figures
Technically, over six figures would be seven figures, right? LOL.

I think that we all know that the OP meant $100K+ with his comment.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:08 PM
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Just a FYI, Ebay changed their policy on sports cards returns, buyers now have 3 days to return a sports card if the seller doesn't offer returns instead of the old 30 days.
a buyer can still file a chargeback with their credit card
Old 10-16-2021, 03:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
When my brothers and I sold a couple of my parents' paintings I talked first to Christie's. They acted all surprised when I asked about the buyer's premium, like why would I possibly be concerned with that?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:57 PM

Default Christie's :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
When my brothers and I sold a couple of my parents' paintings I talked first to Christie's. They acted all surprised when I asked about the buyer's premium, like why would I possibly be concerned with that?

....Alphonse , show this peasant to the door.....

Old 10-17-2021, 02:27 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Sports memorabilia is 12.35% up to $7500 and 2.35% of the portion above $7500. The fee on $10000 would be $985.
The fees are a lot lower if you have an eBay "store" (which is pretty inexpensive to get).

11.5% on total amount of the sale up to $2,500 calculated per item
2.35% on the portion of the sale over $2,500

I recently sold a card for $8650. The eBay fees were $432.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:31 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
The buyer's premium is a pretty hefty commission though. I would almost never consider selling a card through a major auction house unless it was a 6 figure card or more. The fees are ridiculously high, and the prices realized are often a huge gamble.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:37 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
Technically, over six figures would be seven figures, right? LOL.

I think that we all know that the OP meant $100K+ with his comment.
Ha, yes it was a six figure card. I will it was 7.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-17-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:05 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Thanks for all the input, I will probably go with AH. I have sold high price items via AH before. I was curious because I saw an item that sold for $12,000.00. I have a similar item I am thinking of selling. I messaged the seller about the sale price, but no answer yet. Joe
Seller answered back, sold the item for $11,000.00

Old 10-17-2021, 01:28 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Agreed

usually on high end/value cards the Auction House will waive the fee (They may not give points back that is usually for higher end/value cards but it never hurts to ask)

Thus it is cheaper then ebay fee wise and you get the other potential benefits already mentioned.
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. The “fee” you are charged by an auction house is the reduction from the final selling price. Suppose an item in an auction hammers for $10,000. If the auction has a 20% buyers commission then the final price is $12,000. Even if you have no sellers commission you will only receive $10,000 so your effective fee is $2000. This is more than ebay would charge you. The only way to equalize the two is to also get part of the buyers commission. In the above example I am assuming that the card would also realize $12,000 on eBay. If you think the auction house would do better than eBay then you need to work that into your calculation.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:00 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. The “fee” you are charged by an auction house is the reduction from the final selling price. Suppose an item in an auction hammers for $10,000. If the auction has a 20% buyers commission then the final price is $12,000. Even if you have no sellers commission you will only receive $10,000 so your effective fee is $2000. This is more than ebay would charge you. The only way to equalize the two is to also get part of the buyers commission. In the above example I am assuming that the card would also realize $12,000 on eBay. If you think the auction house would do better than eBay then you need to work that into your calculation.
+1
...whatever I want
Old 10-17-2021, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that people do not understand the real world effect of AH fees regardless of whether they are deemed buyers' premiums or sellers' fees. Unless you believe people bid without regard to buyers' premiums and are like OMG WTF just happened when they get added on for the 1000th time, the effect is to depress hammer price and therefore they cost the seller, not the buyer. We've been over this 100 times.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-17-2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:26 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Shameless Plug!

I accept select private consignments of higher-end cards - I sell at shows across the east coast and have a large and growing private client list. 10% commission for cards/sets/lots $1k+, 8% for $10K+. See some feedback in my signature line and PM me or call me at 516-991-5535 to discuss particulars.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:23 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I accept select private consignments of higher-end cards - I sell at shows across the east coast and have a large and growing private client list. 10% commission for cards/sets/lots $1k+, 8% for $10K+. See some feedback in my signature line and PM me or call me at 516-991-5535 to discuss particulars.
Shameless Plugs are good

and good to know

And that 1933 #144 Goudey Ruth that you have is very nice

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth