NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-14-2021, 03:44 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Snowman the man! re "Probstein F'd me....."

Quote:
He's not trying to scam you. Just email him. He will fix it. I guarantee it. His email is: rickprobstein1@gmail.com
Thank you Snowman. Your guarantee was spot on!

This email worked and Rick actually answered yesterday.
He asked for a day to look into which he was granted. He requested eBay provide a refund, which is terrific. I confirmed this with eBay and because it is North of $1,000 they need 24-48 hours to review it. That said, they confirmed it will be refunded.

Exhausted for sure. Spent hours and hours trying to communicate to Probstein and eBay. N 54 and member Snowman came thru. I thank Leon and the community as well. Nice to know there is support here from all of us nerdy collectors...we don't ever like anybody getting scammed or screwed.

Lastly, always beware of eBay and their total lack of understanding and support. They are not a well run company IMO.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:45 PM
Paul Lehr

Good to hear everything worked out for you.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:51 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Awesome! Only sad thing is what happened to the card itself. A friend had an issue with a Jackie 48 that never arrived. Buyer and seller both worked it out thankfully but sad to think a card might be lost for good.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:53 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Glad to hear this is being resolved.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:21 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Wow love a happy ending

Snowman comes thru. Thanks for helping a fellow board member.

And the Email and communication comes thru

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-14-2021, 04:26 PM
Eric Bea.chley

If possible, drop a scan of the card into this thread in case it shows up some day and you (or Probstein) can prove ownership.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:32 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
Lastly, always beware of eBay and their total lack of understanding and support. They are not a well run company IMO.
You pays your monies and you takes your chances. Caveat Emptor.

eBay is always a risk. Buying and selling.

Glad this was a happy ending.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:39 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default The missing Reggie

s-l1600.jpg
Old 10-14-2021, 04:51 PM
Robert J. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Wow love a happy ending

Snowman comes thru. Thanks for helping a fellow board member.

And the Email and communication comes thru
So does Robert Kraft
Old 10-14-2021, 05:51 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
So does Robert Kraft
The OPs happy ending saved him over $1000. Kraft's happy ending cost him over $1000 (not including the bad publicity).
Old 10-14-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Jumpin' Jehoshaphats! Glad that it worked out, but dang...a mint 1979 Reggie goes for over $1000? I spent all of 2 cents on my copy. I should dig mine out and see if it is centered and still in perfect minty fresh condition like the one you tried to purchase!

Brian
Old 10-14-2021, 06:13 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Probstein is a bit of an enigma to be sure, and his communication sucks at times, but if he was half the crook people on this board make him out to be it's sort of unlikely he would have 383 MILLION in eBay sales. Just sayin.

He is what he is. If you don't like it plenty of other places to go shopping.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-14-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:24 PM
Fred

That's awesome. It's so good to see the walls aren't totally crumbling down in the hobby.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:00 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Quote:
Thank you Snowman. Your guarantee was spot on!

This email worked and Rick actually answered yesterday.
He asked for a day to look into which he was granted. He requested eBay provide a refund, which is terrific. I confirmed this with eBay and because it is North of $1,000 they need 24-48 hours to review it. That said, they confirmed it will be refunded.

Exhausted for sure. Spent hours and hours trying to communicate to Probstein and eBay. N 54 and member Snowman came thru. I thank Leon and the community as well. Nice to know there is support here from all of us nerdy collectors...we don't ever like anybody getting scammed or screwed.

Good to hear, Rick is a good dude and his staff is probably overwhelmed with PWCC leaving eBay. With that volume mistakes are bound to happen.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:13 PM
Eric Pugh

It only took weeks of ghosting from Rick and then a public online flogging to garner a response. Nicely done Rick - you’re a true pro.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:04 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

"What it does mean, is eBay is either protecting their biggest sports card client (now that PWCC was given the boot) or they have a loophole. I will be taking advantage of this loophole to recapture my $1,100. I (or you, or anyone) can just sell multiple items to a single buyer on eBay. Short pack a USPS Priority Flat Rate box intentionally, and require a signature. Then just ignore any/all communication from the outraged buyer, then ignore eBay communication for the one week period and be done with it."

Still planning to be that guy?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-15-2021, 12:21 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Omg.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Jumpin' Jehoshaphats! Glad that it worked out, but dang...a mint 1979 Reggie goes for over $1000? I spent all of 2 cents on my copy. I should dig mine out and see if it is centered and still in perfect minty fresh condition like the one you tried to purchase!

Brian
Brian,

If you have a centered copy it would be so much better than this diamond cut (I exaggerate a bit but its there) $5 version of a PSA 10. This card could be in a PSA 8 holder and you'd be at a show going......awwww, what's a little diamond in the rough, here's my $20 and you'd second guess yourself that night! lol Honestly, PSA 8, PSA 9, PSA 10.......spin that wheel!

Wow!

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 10-15-2021 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:04 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Glad to see things worked out. eBay's messaging system is the worst messaging system I've ever encountered online. It's ridiculously buggy. If the seller uses email, that's often a better way to communicate.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
"What it does mean, is eBay is either protecting their biggest sports card client (now that PWCC was given the boot) or they have a loophole. I will be taking advantage of this loophole to recapture my $1,100. I (or you, or anyone) can just sell multiple items to a single buyer on eBay. Short pack a USPS Priority Flat Rate box intentionally, and require a signature. Then just ignore any/all communication from the outraged buyer, then ignore eBay communication for the one week period and be done with it."

I agree Phil. The OP (thought) he got screwed. So the response is to screw the next guy to make himself whole? Someone else’s eye for an eye….. now thems interesting (non)ethics.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:01 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Brian
I have one of those also. I don't have much junk wax, but I inherited some 1970s-80s-90s from 2 of my nephews. This Reggie, a Stadium Club Jeter, and some others are in there.

And yes, Snowman is a pretty decent fellow for truly helping a brother out.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:51 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I agree Phil. The OP (thought) he got screwed. So the response is to screw the next guy to make himself whole? Someone else’s eye for an eye….. now thems interesting (non)ethics.
I read that part as the OP being sarcastic not that he was really going to do it.

I do wonder if he would purchase from Problemstien again.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:58 AM
J@mes In.gram

Okay, here I go with another dumb question:

Why does a slabbed 1979 Topps Reggie Jackson #700 sell for $1000 and others for even more, and unslabbed / raw, same card, same condition can be bought right now for $2 or $3? WTF? What am I missing here?
Old 10-15-2021, 10:02 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post

Why does a slabbed 1979 Topps Reggie Jackson #700 sell for $1000 and others for even more, and unslabbed / raw, same card, same condition can be bought right now for $2 or $3? WTF? What am I missing here?
Where have u been?
Old 10-15-2021, 10:27 AM
Ben North

Quote:

Easy answer. Those plastic slabs are the strongest most addictive drug known to man. They can make an otherwise intelligent person pay easily several hundred times the price of the same exact card without the slab. PSA has by far the strongest drug(slab). I myself became a slab junkie for a couple years. I was lucky and got addicted to the slightly weaker SGC version. Happy to say I have been drug(slab) free for 2 years 5 months and 21 days.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

It's not what you are missing.... you are just exercising common sense. I think the people willing to pay that amount for the same exact card inside a slab are missing a chromosome or two.

Is that card even rare in Mint Condition? To each his own, I suppose.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:10 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Easy answer. Those plastic slabs are the strongest most addictive drug known to man. They can make an otherwise intelligent person pay easily several hundred times the price of the same exact card without the slab. PSA has by far the strongest drug(slab). I myself became a slab junkie for a couple years. I was lucky and got addicted to the slightly weaker SGC version. Happy to say I have been drug(slab) free for 2 years 5 months and 21 days.
Well done! I hope you got your 2 year chip. Those CA (Cards Anonymous) fellowship meetings have really helped me.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:12 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Before I go way off track briefly, I'm glad Snowman providing the contact info helped this all work out as well as it could have. Sad the card is now in limbo somewhere.

Anyway, what makes people pay silly money for a card, and buy it from whoever has it no matter what?

The competition to have the biggest....sorry, best set possible for a particular set.

We should pin this or make it a banner or something. (Ok, Leon probably wouldn't allow it as a banner, and I probably can't afford that anyway... )

Old 10-15-2021, 11:22 AM
Al Richter

Old 10-15-2021, 11:34 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds
Old 10-15-2021, 03:30 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Was hoping the OP would post his EBay ID on here so I can block him. I wouldn’t want to win an auction from him and “be that guy”.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:59 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

It may be kind of crazy to pay big bucks for a 8 or a 9, when 6s and 7s look just fine …. But on the other hand most of us will eventually sell some or all of our collection… or someone will sell it when we’re gone … and the crazy price someone pays today “for the flip” may equate to a truly insane sale in a decade. May or course.
Best advice I ever got in my life was buy the nicest house you can afford. The $200,000 house may be just as livable as the $2 million dollar house, but I bet you in 20 years the $2M house has appreciated more in value. Always another big shot looking to buy the biggest house on the block or the 1 of 1 card PSA 10.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-15-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:11 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
It may be kind of crazy to pay big bucks for a 8 or a 9, when 6s and 7s look just fine …. But on the other hand most of us will eventually sell some or all of our collection… or someone will sell it when we’re gone … and the crazy price someone pays today “for the flip” may equate to a truly insane sale in a decade. May or course.
Best advice I ever got in my life was buy the nicest house you can afford. The $200,000 house may be just as livable as the $2 million dollar house, but I bet you in 20 years the $2M house has appreciated more in value. Always another big shot looking to buy the biggest house on the block or the 1 of 1 card PSA 10.
The big money isn't in paying silly money for a PSA graded card to sell in the distant future. You are paying full price and to get full price at resale you will need to upgrade it to the latest greatest slab/flip. Buying raw and grading before selling is how you make the truly insane cash.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:16 PM
Andrew

Quote:

It’s basic science: The slabbed one makes your dick bigger.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Is it because the plastic of the slab has a magnifying effect?

Brian
Old 10-16-2021, 03:18 PM
Fred

Well Brian, someone finally figured it out...
Old 10-16-2021, 04:53 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Only 72 of these I think and they have sold consistently over 1000. Solid long term card I would think. Tough to get a 10.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:26 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Chicks dig the slabbed cards!
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 10-16-2021, 10:45 PM
Mike P.ap

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Only 72 of these I think and they have sold consistently over 1000. Solid long term card I would think. Tough to get a 10.
10th year Reggie. 72 of them? So rare......

I'm thinking T206 Wagner numbers here! lol

Mike

PS Somebody is sitting on some Reggies! lol
Old 10-17-2021, 08:33 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
10th year Reggie. 72 of them? So rare......

I'm thinking T206 Wagner numbers here! lol

Mike

PS Somebody is sitting on some Reggies! lol
You seem to be going out of your way to make fun of the original poster’s purchase. Leaving aside that it seems a bit mean, what’s the support for it being a bad purchase?
Old 10-17-2021, 11:54 AM
Mike P.ap

Default No....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
You seem to be going out of your way to make fun of the original poster’s purchase. Leaving aside that it seems a bit mean, what’s the support for it being a bad purchase?
I'm just surprised at your comparison that this card is like a blue chip investment with 72 copies. I pulled these out of packs in 1979. I don't think it's a solid investment but we differ in that opinion. To each his own. I feel that someone will pay $1000 or more for the card and their money will be dead for years. Kind of like buying Govt Securities. No fun or pun intended.

It was not a bad purchase as he got his money back in full after albeit some pressure from others. He got a bit lucky and I'm glad for him. No one wants to be robbed by anyone!

In the comparison of the 1979 Set, the Reggie card is ranked 10th in terms of PSA 10s meaning there are only 9 other cards that have a higher PSA 10 Pop. In an almost 700 card set, that seems to be a bit high. 10th highest PSA 10 Pop and the pop number 72 is not a rare number when you are talking 1979 Topps Baseball. T206 Wagner ? Yes that's rare. Admittedly there is a 1.5 million dollar difference in the 2 so apples to oranges! lol, my bad!

I'd park my money elsewhere. Thats all. That's me! To each his own!

Peace and Thanks! Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 10-17-2021 at 07:16 PM.