NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default Why our autograph experts are often silent

Edited to add: Yes, in my OPINION, this is a forgery.

Unless someone who has more expertise on Ruth autographs than me, says anything to the contrary, and as of February, 6, 2015 at 7:28 a.m. Pacific, no such person had even participated in this thread, my opinion will continue to be that it is a forgery.

The original post follows.

...now these ebay creeps are throwing out Kevin Keating's name as certifying their forgeries: ebay Ruth ball forgery

Last edited by Runscott; 02-06-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just to play "devil's advocate"....

I think it's likely authentic. Looks almost identical to the Ruth signature on a 1926 Yankees Team Ball I once had and consigned to Leland's.

Also....

* Ted K. (pugskiddo) is a former major leaguer, and a trusted ebay seller for many many years. Definitely not one of ebay's sleezebag dealers, or a "fly by night" guy.

* I see nothing to dispel Kevin Keating's authentication of the ball. I believe it did pass Keating's authentication process.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by perezfan; 02-04-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Just to play "devil's advocate"....

I think it's likely authentic. Looks almost identical to the Ruth signature on a 1926 Yankees Team Ball I once had and consigned to Leland's.
Then show it, or any that look like this. If it's real, it's real, but I have never seen a Ruth signature that looks like this and would need an example to convince me.

Quote:
Also....

* Ted K. (pugskiddo) is a former major leaguer, and a trusted ebay seller for many many years. Definitely not one of ebay's sleezebag dealers, or a "fly by night" guy.
Also, it's great that he's not a sleezebag dealer, but being a former major leaguer doesn't add credibility to his autograph authentication abilities.

Last edited by Runscott; 02-04-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The listing/image no longer resides on Leland's site. Guess it's too early a listing. The ball was part of a trade to Brock L. and then later I believe was sold to Paul (Shoeless Moe), both Forum members here. I could be mistaken on the latter. Perhaps one of them still has an image, and can post a picture of the 1926 Yankees Ball.

Also of note.... the shellac appears vintage and of the era, and the Ruth signature is underneath the shellac. So if it's a forgery, it is an extremely early one. I still say it's real, and authenticated by Keating.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
The listing/image no longer resides on Leland's site. Guess it's too early a listing. The ball was part of a trade to Brock L. and then later I believe was sold to Paul (Shoeless Moe), both Forum members here. I could be mistaken on the latter. Perhaps one of them still has an image, and can post a picture of the 1926 Yankees Ball.

Also of note.... the shellac appears vintage and of the era, and the Ruth signature is underneath the shellac. So if it's a forgery, it is an extremely early one. I still say it's real, and authenticated by Keating.
If it's real, there should be others out there that look like it - I haven't seen any.

The shellac thing is unconvincing - I've seen plenty of Ruth forgeries beneath similar-looking shellac, with the predictable chips.

I don't believe it's real, but have no problem changing my mind if someone can convince me. Nothing so far.

Last edited by Runscott; 02-04-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Also, it's great that he's not a sleezebag dealer, but being a former major leaguer doesn't add credibility to his autograph authentication abilities.[/QUOTE]

The fact that he's a former major leaguer is a side-note, and has no bearing on his authentic skills.... that's correct. I included that info in response to labeling him one of "these ebay creeps". He has been a reputable seller for many years (perhaps since ebay's inception), and I know many people on this forum have successfully bought/sold/traded with Ted over the years.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

The fact that he's a former major leaguer is a side-note, and has no bearing on his authentic skills.... that's correct. I included that info in response to labeling him one of "these ebay creeps". He has been a reputable seller for many years (perhaps since ebay's inception), and I know many people on this forum have successfully bought/sold/traded with Ted over the years.
I heard you. Just to make sure you understand that I heard you: he's a reputable seller, has been around a long time, and has had many great deals with people you know. I get it - he's not a creep. That doesn't mean he can't sell a forgery.

Last edited by Runscott; 02-04-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Ok Scott... a healthy debate, and I respect your opinion. Debate/disagreement is a good thing on this forum.

That said.... where the hell is everyone else

Last edited by perezfan; 02-04-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM
J@son.K

Interesting post, Scott. I'm just curious, as I've only recently been really scrutinizing Ruth balls, but what do you think is so off about this signed Ruth ball? What are some of the subtleties (or not so subtle) tip-offs that should be looked at? I'm referring to the first ball pic you posted, of course. Thanks.

Last edited by djson1; 02-05-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

Jason, compare:

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:29 PM
J@son.K

Thanks for the pics, Scott. I still think the signed ball in the original pic looks very close, IMO. I see that the "R" is slightly different (ie- the loop part doesn't touch top to bottom like the samples you show), but it's still seems like the same flow. Maybe I just don't have a very good eye for those things. I have a hard time with Ted Williams, Joe D, and Mantle's even.

Last edited by djson1; 02-05-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Does Kevin Keating ever frequent this board? Would be nice to hear his perspective, and interested to know whether or not his name/LOA was really implicated without consent.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Hank Thomas

I sent Kevin the link, but he's in Phoenix and away from his Net54 password so he won't be able to respond until next week. He said he did authenticate a number of items in the collection of the former major league player who is selling this ball on eBay, but didn't remember this ball specifically.

Speaking for myself, I actually find the title of this thread to be bordering on libelous. Unless Scott has proof that this ball is a forgery, (and assuming that Kevin did write a letter for it), it's just his opinion against Kevin's. Needless to say, under those circumstances I would take Kevin's word for it a thousand times out of a thousand over Scott's or anyone else's for that matter.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
I see that the "R" is slightly different (ie- the loop part doesn't touch top to bottom like the samples you show), but it's still seems like the same flow.
I don't have a response to this other than thanks for taking part in the discussion.

It's you, Mark and Keating's proxy: 3 for, and me 1 against.

I guess that makes it real. Having said that, and given what Babe Ruth signed balls go for in such condition, it is clearly a steal. I recommend offering the seller about $500 less and becoming the proud possessor of a single-signed Babe Ruth baseball.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Andrew L@Vine

I will chime in and say that I too have doubts about the signature being Ruth's. I cannot say that it is not authentic, but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable purchasing based on what I have seen/heard. Kudos to Scott for changing the title of the thread as I think it was misleading. Until Kevin can chime in and give his position, I think that was a responsible thing to do.

Last edited by RelicSports; 02-06-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: edit
Old 02-06-2015, 05:06 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I don't have a response to this other than thanks for taking part in the discussion.

It's you, Mark and Keating's proxy: 3 for, and me 1 against.

I guess that makes it real. Having said that, and given what Babe Ruth signed balls go for in such condition, it is clearly a steal. I recommend offering the seller about $500 less and becoming the proud possessor of a single-signed Babe Ruth baseball.

Good luck.
Scott, I usually value your opinions and comments on here, but your comment above is pretty snide. I was asking as you didn't provide any reason for why you thought it was not authentic and I was genuinely asking because I like to learn the "why"s from others on here. It's not about you, me, versus them. And who said that just because it's 3 vs 1 that "makes it real"?

It's funny when we see some people on here getting so sensitive when people ask them questions of their opinions. We're all on here trying to learn from each other on here and not all of us are as sharp when it comes to spotting the fakes.

Last edited by djson1; 02-06-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks, David. If it did not have the aged varnish, would your opinion be more definite? I refinish antique pool cues and have both lacquer and Bullseye shellac handy. I suspect that if I am able to replicate the aged look, I could write 'Babe Ruth' on the ball myself and get away with it.

Given the prior responses here, I won't need much encouragement to try. David and Jay can vouch for this
Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

I was able to quickly find to examples that matched one almost perfectly in terms of aging - not commenting on authenticity of the actual signatures, but one was discussed here a month ago and the other is a Mears 1928 Yankees team-signed ball. That is the look I will be going for.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:20 PM

If you can duplicate that patina, Scott, it would certainly reshape my thinking about signed balls.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

The guy who provided the provenance also owned a Sports Card Shop: Saybrook Sports Cards.

According to him, when he was 8 or 9 (he died in 2003 at age 75), Babe Ruth walked into a hotel where a breakfast was being held for a 'Father and Son get together', and the boy's father had to ask him "who the man was" "I couldn't believe he didn't know who Babe Ruth was." Apparently young Bill and his father attended this event with his father somehow being unaware that Babe Ruth would be attending.

I'm sorry, but this stinks.

Last edited by Runscott; 02-06-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:52 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I find it hard to believe that any adult , or anyone over 10 years old in the USA did not know who Babe Ruth was in the 1930s when this supposed breakfast occurred. Especially in Conn. where this occurred since it is in the New York proximity.
Again a story that does not quite mesh in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Here is another fake item this supposedly 'good guy' is selling. If he's such a nice guy, he needs to at least see an eye doctor before he loses all credibility:

http://net54baseball.com/showpost.ph...66&postcount=1

Old 02-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Mi.ke Fost.er

Quote:
Here is another fake item this supposedly 'good guy' is selling. If he's such a nice guy, he needs to at least see an eye doctor before he loses all credibility:

Other than the C. Anson at the bottom looking odd, what else tells u this is a fake? Just asking, as I'm not schooled on these old cards. Thank you in advance for your response.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Mi.ke Fost.er

Quote:

Sorry, just hit the link you provided. Missed it earlier
Old 02-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAYankee View Post
Sorry, just hit the link you provided. Missed it earlier
Nothing personal but if you can't immediately, in literally one second, see that this card is really, really bad, you probably don't collect pre-war cards. I don't collect autographs so understand not knowing what I don't collect..... On that card Anson's image is as fuzzy as my beard after 2 weeks. It's horribly fake.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Leon, the funny thing is that I feel the same way about the Ruth ball he is selling.

To put it in perspective, people post bad Mantle and Williams autographs all the time, and people who know those autographs pop in and immediately say how horrible they are. Not me - I really can't tell the difference between a halfway-decent 1980's Mantle or Williams forgery and a real one. I'm sure that if one of the experts here pointed out what was wrong with them, I could learn pretty quickly, but I was given the advice that spreading myself out too thin would dilute my expertise on particular signatures that I know/am learning, and I think that is good advice.

So I get it that a few people here see similarities between this Ruth signature and a real one. I also think the shellac job is tainting their thinking.

One thing I'm sure about: given that this seller sells a lot of legitimate stuff, but we've seen two forged items from differing hobby areas in the last two weeks, we will see more bad stuff from him. I doubt he's doing it on purpose - I think he just doesn't know cards or autographs, selling so many different baseball-related things that he has not become an expert on many, if any.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Seller disclosed the concerns, and subsequently pulled the auction. He isn't a "card guy" but admittedly should have performed due diligence with this one before posting it (as it is dreadful...)

Bottom line is that he wasn't likely trying to deceive, or "pull a fast one". He employed Kevin Keating to authenticate the autographs he's selling. If the Babe Ruth Ball is still a major concern, then the person who should comment here is Keating (who provided the LOA).
Old 02-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Mi.ke Fost.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Nothing personal but if you can't immediately, in literally one second, see that this card is really, really bad, you probably don't collect pre-war cards. I don't collect autographs so understand not knowing what I don't collect..... On that card Anson's image is as fuzzy as my beard after 2 weeks. It's horribly fake.
Correct, I do not collect Pre-war cards. Have always had an interest, just never pursued it.