NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2022, 05:49 PM
Scott Russell

A related concept is a HOF'er who has NEVER been appreciated. Monte Irvin cards were immediately passed in the hobby by Minnie Minoso as soon as he was elected to the hall. Irvin is about the only early black MLB HOF'er whose prices didn't move with the spike most of those players saw after Aaron died.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-16-2022, 06:03 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
A related concept is a HOF'er who has NEVER been appreciated. Monte Irvin cards were immediately passed in the hobby by Minnie Minoso as soon as he was elected to the hall. Irvin is about the only early black MLB HOF'er whose prices didn't move with the spike most of those players saw after Aaron died.
Would like to see Irvin get some love from collectors. Maybe after Mays' HBO documentary comes out.

There was a nice write-up about Irvin after he passed in 2016.

As it points out, Irvin was 30 by the time he finally got a chance to play in the Majors in '49, after a great career in the Negro Leagues. Unfortunately, after a strong year for the Giants in '51 when he lead the league in RBIs and finished 3rd in MVP, he fractured his ankle sliding into 2nd, causing him to miss most of the '52 season and hindering his MLB career.

He was a mentor to Willie Mays, and along with Hank Thompson, formed the first all black outfield. RMY had an amazing picture of them in their most recent auction.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-16-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:12 AM
Michael

My 2-cents: For the legends - Ruth, Gehrig, Mays, Cobb, Mantle, Jackie, etc. their value mainly increases since awareness of their exploits continues from generation to generation.

For others, it takes a story/movie to bring them into the consciousness of current collectors. I haven't tracked it, but I wonder if the 2018 movie about Moe Berg led to an increase in the value of his cards.

Some HoF-ers just don't have the appeal of others. Consider Al Kaline, who according to recent eBay sales, has autos that go for <$10. So for some they might be over-exposed among current cards, and therefore their allure suffers from a lack of overall card rarity (even if their playing-day cards have a relatively low pop or are in a desirable set).

Just being in the HoF is no longer what it once was. Consider that Tris Speaker (#9 in career overall WAR) was not a first-ballot HoF-er, or that it took Eddie Collins 4 votes to be inducted. The recent induction of Harold Baines seems to have dropped the standard quite a bit.

But many of the players mentioned in this thread are legends, under appreciated by the overall market as they may be. Clearly they are not under appreciated here on Net54!
Old 05-17-2022, 06:23 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

I think Hank Greenberg might fit the bill. His '34 Goudey card has soared in recent years. After the Gehrig cards, his card is the next most expensive card in that set. It didn't used to be.

And the nice thing is, he deserves it. He was a good guy and a genuine hero in so many ways.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:53 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Would like to see Irvin get some love from collectors. Maybe after Mays' HBO documentary comes out.

As it points out, Irvin was 30 by the time he finally got a chance to play in the Majors in '49, after a great career in the Negro Leagues. Unfortunately, after a strong year for the Giants in '51 when he lead the league in RBIs and finished 3rd in MVP, he fractured his ankle sliding into 2nd, causing him to miss most of the '52 season and hindering his MLB career.

He was a mentor to Willie Mays, and along with Hank Thompson, formed the first all black outfield. RMY had an amazing picture of them in their most recent auction.
I can only go by the 52 Topps cards of Monte Irvin that I have watched/followed through eBay but I have noticed a somewhat decent uptick lately regarding that card.
Not saying it has followed Minoso's uptick, but it has risen somewhat for the last little while.
https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...irvin-26/22925
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monte Irvin BB.jpg (127.9 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by irv; 05-17-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:42 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I can only go by the 52 Topps cards of Irvin that I have watched/followed through eBay but I have noticed a somewhat decent uptick lately regarding that card.
Not saying it has followed Minoso's uptick, but it has risen somewhat for the last little while.
https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...irvin-26/22925
I have been a fan of Monte Irvin for decades. One reason was his mentorship of Willie Mays. One of my first old cards was a 1954 Topps Monte Irvin. Here's a photo of Willie Mays, Lou Chiozza and Hank Thompson in Memphis in the early 1950s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mays-Chiozza-Thompson.jpg (191.7 KB, 195 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 05-17-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:50 AM
J@mes In.gram

1954 Topps Monte Irvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600~2.jpg (158.4 KB, 190 views)

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 05-17-2022, 09:25 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I think Hank Greenberg might fit the bill. His '34 Goudey card has soared in recent years. After the Gehrig cards, his card is the next most expensive card in that set. It didn't used to be.

And the nice thing is, he deserves it. He was a good guy and a genuine hero in so many ways.
His Diamond Star price just set a record (by far). It was the first time the card has come up for sale post-pandemic, which probably helped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (24.1 KB, 178 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I have been a fan of Monte Irvin for decades. One reason was his mentorship of Willie Mays. One of my first old cards was a 1954 Topps Monte Irvin. Here's a photo of Willie Mays, Lou Chiozza and Hank Thompson in Memphis in the early 1950s.
Monte Irvin also mentored Roberto Clemente.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post

Is it possible you could copy and paste that article as it asks to join the NY Times when I go to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Unfortunately, the only card (decal) Monte and Willie are on together is the 1952 Star Cal decal.
And it also doesn't look like there is card available, despite the 3 of them being the first AA's ever to play in the outfield together, of Monte, Willie and Hank.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:35 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

Posts like this are why we need a "like" button. Spot on.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-19-2022, 07:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
His Diamond Star price just set a record (by far). It was the first time the card has come up for sale post-pandemic, which probably helped.
That's a price increase!

I am going with Rogers Hornsby as under appreciated...and his prices have risen some lately.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:12 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Default Under appreciated Hall of Famers

Exactly Leon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ezez420; 05-19-2022 at 07:13 PM.