NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SGC

Posted By: Dan Mathewson 

I thought this might add some interesting discussion on the ongoing topic of whether "PSA Graded cards demand great dollars at auction than SGC cards do"... (Links to the auctions I'm referring to are at bottom).

Here are two of the same card...a 1905 Matty E95 Philadelphia Caramel Card. One is a PSA-2, one is a SGC 30 (2). Both auctions ran virtually concurrent, ending less than a day apart.

Both look qite similar, but from the discussions here, if one is a PSA-2 and one is an SGC-2, one would expect the SGC-2 to be AT LEAST as good at the PSA card, if not better, but more strictly graded (I'm just going based on what people say here on this board).

Interesting that the SGC graded card commanded a high bid of $148, while the PSA graded card commanded a high bid almost 40% more at $204.

Just thought I'd toss this out for discussion, as I have heard many comments about this topic for so long, and several folks here have mentioned an interest in seeing more directly comparable examples. The auction links are below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=2712941446&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=2712495713&rd=1

Cheers! -dan

Old 03-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SGC

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Only 2 common bidders. Also, no bidding on the sgc card for 6 days--and then only after the PSA auction had ended.
I guess people could tolerate that nasty stain more than that nasty crease, but weren't all that interested in either card (or at least were not interested enough).
Todd

Old 03-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SGC

Posted By: jeff s

as always, there are so many variables that complicate these discussions.

First off, especially in lower-end grades, there is are large differences between cards of a certain grade. It would not surprise me if, for instance, both of these cards were SGC 30 and they still bid up to approximately the same prices.

As for as the scans indicate, the PSA card is quite a bit nicer -- I prefer SGC, but I'd spend more on the PSA card in this case. As far as I can tell from the kinda small/blurry scans, the PSA card is almost worth a "3" and the SGC card is just barely better than a "20."

It seems that, rather than preferring one company to another, bidders may be bidding on the card, not the case. Or maybe the PSA bidders are banking on that company's inconsistency, hoping to resubmit for a better grade.

Old 03-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SGC

Posted By: scott brockelman

i don't think the comparison everyone strives for will ever gel. in this case, as it should be in every case, buy the card not the holder. the psa card had a slight stain but no creases(at least that i could see) and a nice image. the sgc card was heavily creased in the corner and not as nice appearing. IF the cards were raw and laying side by side, i would have paid more for the psa example, and if they were graded 2, i would have done the same. you can not blindly buy a card based on the numeric grade. you have to see it and determine for yourself the asthetic value. had the cards been flip flopped in their respective holders the nicer card would have still brought more.

scott

Old 03-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SGC

Posted By: BcD

I have an SGC 80 & 84 and a psa 5 of this card and the SGC ones are much nicer! By the way, SGC will be history in a few months! POOF!!! They will become GAI leon.....GAI

Old 03-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SGC

Posted By: leonl

very subliminal of you....that story is all yours....(maybe so ....maybe not...is my guess)......later

Old 03-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SGC

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

So, is it possible that SGC overgraded this card? This has been an interesting topic to follow on this board, as I follow several of he conversations comparing the two services.

I constantly hear it stated that SGC grades tougher and more consistently than PSA does. And, that an SGC-5 is consistently a better quality card than a PSA-5 (and so on, up and down the scale...)

I've actually been curious to see if this is true, and I've kinda waited for a comparison like this to come up on eBay to check it out. I am curious about others' opinions...

(I haven't been on the board much lately, been traveling quite a bit, and I'm in Anchorage right now freezing my baseballs off...)

-dan

Old 03-07-2003, 12:26 AM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SGC

Posted By: jay behrens

I have not looked at the cards in questions, but when you get into the lower grades (VG/Ex and lower), you can get a huge variance in the quality of the card within a a given grade. Sounds like this is the case. This is my only real serious gripe with grading system, not enough differeniation in the lower grades.

I like SGC's system simply because they have not limted themselves to a 1-10 scale, but I really wish they would make full use of the 1-100 scale they use. Is it really that hard to grade a card in, say, 4 areas (centering, corners, register, surface) and rate each on on a 1-25 scale then total them up for a final grade?

Jay

Old 03-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Default PSA vs. SGC

Posted By: runscott

Dan,

here are two cards given the save grade by SGC, the one on the left for rounded corners and stains, though no creases. The one on the right is a near-perfect card, but has the slightest surface wrinkle on the back, that is nearly impossible to see now that it's behind plastic; however, ANY wrinkle, no matter how small, prohibits a card from grading 'EX'.

As the other Scott pointed out, you should be buying the card rather than the assigned grade.