NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default Bring on those damn Yankees!

Posted By: Scott Elkins

Yanks, BoSox, Astros or Braves - NONE of them can hold the Cardinals' Jockey Straps (as the GREAT Ty Cobb would say)! I have been telling my Die Hard Red Sox uncle this since July! He will see. But wait, that team has to make it past the Yankees first - don't they!?!? The ONLY sad thing for me about the Cards winning it all this year is that McGwire couldn't still be playing for them!

Old 10-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Mayer

everyone has an opinion, but we will know the answers in a week or so,,,yes, we know the yanks are flawed,,,the sox are perfect and unflawed..I get it,,,

lets play the games and we shall see,,,as for the best team money can buy stuff, it's old,,,the yanks break no rules, and every team in the league loves playing them and the money that comes from it...in fact the yanks are good for baseball as they put money in the bank and fans in the seats,,,

and by the way, who had the second highest payroll? the redsox so lets not be hypocrytes...the salary thing is old,,,and Redsox why don't you log in, so we all know who you are...

Old 10-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Just back from the game. I was already to take all of Sunday off to watch the Vikes and the Twins, but to my horror Juan Rincon had one of his worst outings of the year. hats off to the Yanks, they beat the best part of our team, the bullpen. I wouldn't get to high hopes yankees fans, Santana was not at his best and we should have won 3 out of 4. I see the Yankees winning one in the ALCS if they are lucky enough to get good starting pitching. The Twins had alot of hits off the Yanks and they aren't close to as good of hitters as the Red Sox.

Red Sox vs. Astros, Clemens vs. Schilling Game 1.

The Twins had a nice year with alot of young players and you won't see the last of them they'll be back.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I was at Game 5 of the 1996 ALCS, Yankees-in Camden Yards. I was wearing my Yankee hat and jersey. After the Yanks clinched, an Orioles fan got in my face and said, "I can't wait to see the Cardinals kick your ass in the World Series." You see, the Cardinals were up 3-1 on the Braves in the 1996 NLCS. But the Cardinals couldn't get it done and the Braves faced the Yankees in the World Series that year and the rest, as they say, is history. The moral of the story, for me anyway, is that when your team gets eliminated it's in your nature to want to say that the team that beat you will get eliminated soon, too. But really, the Twins should be rooting for the Yanks to go all the way so they can say they got beat by the best. At least, that's how I've always looked at it.

You just never know.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Lohse did a helluva job in his stint coming out of the pen. Twins fans forget had it not been for Lohse we would not have been in the playoffs in 2001 and 2002, especially 2002 when he carried the team in the middle of the year. If our sorry excuse for a manager had not had another brain fart and jerked Blanco with 2 outs and nobody on (yes I know Kubel hit a double, then died on base, instead of being used as a pinch hitter with men on base where he could have been effective), we wouldn't have had the oldest catcher in the history of baseball not shifting his body and trying to backhand everything with the winning runner on 3rd and costing us the game. Easy to see why no major league team the last couple of years wanted Pat Borders. Blanco had hit a home run and a single and yet was pulled. No way Blanco lets that ball get by him. You let Blanco hit with 2 outs and no one on. If there had been a baserunner in scoring position, I can see pinch hitting Kubel. As a manager, Gardenslug is a good coach. He pushed all the wrong buttons today and in the series. The Twins will never win a World Series with Gardo at the helm.
Lee I am with you, the Twins will be back, that is if they get rid of the deadwood, Jacque .240 Jones, Corey my back hurts all the time Koskie, Christian I don't give a damn about playing hard Guzman (wouldn't he look great in a Cubs uniform?), Luis ditto with Guzman Rivas, Pat Borders, Terry Mulholland and LeCroy. I believe all will be free agents or in their option years next year. Get rid of them. Adios! Terry Tiffe at 3rd, Mike Cuddyer at ss, Justin Morneau at 1st, Kubel in right, Lew Ford in left, Torii in center and Mauer behind the plate. The rotation is Santana, Radke, Durbin, Lohse and Silva. Trade Shannon Stewart while he still has value along with a couple of the other deadheads listed above and that will bring aboard a shortstop and a #2 or 3 pitcher.
I'm sorry his father passed away but Frenchie Jones has to go. He'd look great in a Mets uniform. If I see him laugh and smile after striking out one more time I will scream. And I love his quote after Game 2 that he had no idea Jeter might tag and try to score. Sheesh...

Old 10-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Cardinals didn't look that unbeatable today against KC castoff Jose Lima. There is no series in sports better than the Yankees vs the Red Sox in the post season. My prediction is that the team that learns how to manufacture runs, not just hit homers to score, will win. Sheffield swinging so hard that he almost falls down with A-Rod on second, no outs, and the Yankees needing one run, won't do it.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

but let's not get carried away with them. Tim McCarver said last night they were "maybe the best lineup ever." They didn't score!!!!

Old 10-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

I never thought a Yankee fan so sensitive..The Sox are better this year but the Yankees will win. These are the 2 best teams in the AL and SHOULD face each other in the LCS...
The Cardinals have TOO great an expectation to win. Houstons momentum can tip the scale in their favor..No clear cut winners in the field this year, and it makes for fun Baseball..

Old 10-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

1. Yankees - $184 million
2. Red Sox - $127 million
3. Angels - $100 million
4. Dodgers - $92 million
5. Braves - $90 million
6. Cardinals - $83 million
7. Astros - $75 million
8. Twins - $53 million

Outside of the Red Sox and the Angels, the Yankees spent literally TWICE as much as any other team, and more than 3 times as much as the Twins! And STILL, $57 million more than the Red Sox is not an insignificant gap by any stretch. It's gonna be awfully embarrassing for Steinbrenner if they don't make it all the way again, and lucky for them they weren't bested in the first series by a team that spent a staggering $131 million less than them this year. I know it's not just about money, but these are pretty dramatic and telling numbers.

The Yankees definitely bring in a lot of money at home and to visiting teams when they play them, and they sure better considering how much money they spend, but they will still always be the enemy for so many people come World Series time because of their outrageous spending, their amazing arrogance and because they've won the damn thing just too many times.

The baseball world doesn't revolve around the New York Yankees and every other team has a following who prays their team will win as opposed to just expecting they'll win as some kind of God-given right. Sorry to all the Yankee fans, it's just the way it is.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

The Yankees draw fans when visiting other parks, but how games sell out when other teams visit? If there was some balance to the teams, races could be closer and teams wouldn't fade away the first month of the season. I would think this would be good for baseball and make more money overall. Or they could just go for the quick fix and add more wildcard spots and another round of playoffs...

Old 10-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Basball needs a big bad establishment hate target just like the rest of the world..

Old 10-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 10-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Hey Gary, no one is putting a gun to other owner's heads and preventing them from spending money to build a competitive team. BTW, the Yankees actually spend more than the $180 million since they have to provide handouts to all the low payroll teams. Also, when the Yankees come to town they bring big crowds into local ballparks which also enrich the coffers of these other clubs. I understand that some teams don't have the fan base and the TV revenue to support big payrolls. However, some like the Chicago teams, the LA teams, the Houston and Dallas teams, Red Sox etc do. Steinbrenner is a great owner because he wants to build a winning product. He spent money to make money. He is the best thing ever to happen to Yankee fans. I admire the Twins and the A's because on a small budget year in and year out they put a great product on the field. Hats off to their management. The teams that annoy me are the White Sox and the Dodgers who have a fan base and a TV base to spend big bucks to build a superior team and year in and year out still stink(Dodgers will be gone today).

Old 10-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Administrator

yes it does seem the baseball world revolves around the yankees...

they bring in big revenue to every city they go to,,,a rivalry with the yankees is unlike any rivalry in the world....

trust me the best thing that could ever happen to the sox is their hatred for the yankees...

also a sox fan complaining about salaries is insane,,,,look how much money the sox spend,,,

its not like they are a small market team,,,

i repect the a's and twins,,their management rocks,,,until this year Boston's problem wasn't salary, it was bad baseball decisions,,,

i think lately they have done a better job, but they have bought a team, just like the yankees do,,,in fact the yanks at least have some homegrown guys,,,,boston has very few....

by the way at least Boston imports good team players and well respected humans into their communities,,,

I would love Pedro, and Manny and Damon on my team, such clean cut well mannered young men,,,,
<br />

Old 10-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Administrator

everyone's taking me so seriously.

I'm just complaining about the Yankees to have something to talk about. Not like I'm not sincere, but it's just harmless talk and conversation.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ChuckkieB

... when one is discussing the EVIL EMPIRE! :D

Not a Sox fan, but I'm rooting for "The Curse" to be broken this year.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Administrator

I agree its all in fun.

note to self,,

do not comment on redsox
do not comment on yankees
do not post after more than 3 beers. haha..

i love my yanks, but i need to get a life,,,I wish gary and the sox good luck...

Old 10-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

What made the Yankees great for this decade is the fact they had 5 great prospects of their own: Jeter, Williams, Petitte, Rivera and Posada. Where would the "Dynasty be without there likes on the team.

They kept all their good prospects and traded off the questionable ones. How many Yankee prospects in the 10 years even start for a team. Guzman, Milton, Lowell, those are all I can come up with. Heck the Twins have 2 of them and you know they have good prospects themselves so they might know a thing or 2 about prospects.

They could afford to keep each and everyone of these prospects plus plug in All-Stars around them. Don't you think the Twins would have had a better chance in Game 3 with Eric Milton on the mound and Eddie and LaTroy in the bullpen to go woth the kids and maybe afford to keep Kenny Rogers for another year? Heck, Don't you think the A's would be awesome if they could have afforded to keep Giambi and Tejeda.

That is what's wrong with the system today you can grow your own prosecpts and in a couple years you can only pick and choose the ones you would like to keep.

That's my beef on the state of baseball,

Lee

Old 10-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Administrator

but what choice am I left with? It might just be time to give up the masochist urge to see the Red Sox make it all the way - all Boston has given it's fans is decades of despair and bitter dissapointment.

Old 10-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: murcerfan

.........would the Babe have let the final tally tonight be 19to8

Old 10-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Administrator

?

Old 10-16-2004, 11:39 PM
Administrator

?

Old 10-17-2004, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

A 19 - 8 flogging seems less like karma and more like bad pitching and stupid baserunning.

Now if there was really a curse, the Red Sox would have lost by a single run. Ramiro Mendoza would have given up the lead run in the top of the ninth with his brain fart balk and Manny Ramirez would have gotten thrown out at third to end the bottom of the inning.

As it is, Babe is laughing knowing full well he didn't need to pull any strings last night.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: murcerfan

I suppose 19-18 would have been more obvious

that's 1918.....get it?

Old 10-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Administrator

The Red Sox are going to have a difficult time fulfilling SABR's prediction if they can't even get INTO the World Series...

Old 10-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Administrator

I had always thought of the curse as being getting SO close, i.e. the winning game is in the bag and a they blow it big time, but I'm expanding my definitions. Making it handily through the first round of the playoffs and then getting destroyed by the Yankees in the Championship series is enough for me. The whole gist of the curse for me is that they NEVER win the World Series no matter what, and this certainly qualifies, even if it isn't as dramatic as say 1986.

I know the Yankees still have to win one more game and I speak of the Red Sox as if they've already lost, but come on, who are we kidding here? I think we have about as much chance as the Red Sox winning 4 in a row and then winning the World Series as we do of the government admitting the existence of extra-terrestrials.

Since making it to the World Series and winning it seems to be the pinnacle and ultimate goal of any ballplayer, I think it's a miracle that the Sox get the good players they do have. Why would anyone want to join a team where you're virtually guaranteed of never making it all the way no matter how great a line-up you have? Jeez, even the Marlins won it twice and the Diamondbacks won it once and they're like little tiny babies next to the Red Sox.

What a waste of energy it is being a fan. And for those who want to think I'm just whining and complaining, I am.

Old 10-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DENNIS

with that yankee pitching anything can happen.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I didn't want to make the reference too obvious. I'm glad someone read between the lines!

Old 10-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards

It is interesting...
Ted Williams & Yaz were 2 great players that combined played from the late 30's to the 80's and neither won a World Series - But Luis Sojo a journeyman utility infielder has a few rings.
Was Boggs & Clemens losers in Boston, but since they won World Series (Boggs 1, Clemens 2)w/ the Yankees they are now considered winners?
I'm not sure what to make of it all...But it is interesting!

Old 10-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Administrator

if someone wants to have a shot at winning the world series, they have to look outside of the red sox in order to do it.

Old 10-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tim mayer

" with the yankees pitching anything can happen"

the pitching looked pretty good to me,,,nobody ever wants to give credit when its due,,,,

everyone wants to bash the pitching, but obviously it was good enough as we are one game from the world series,,,even if the yankees win the whole thing, so yankee hate will try and taint it,,,

was the sox pitching better? not,,,Twins? Not!

nough said

Old 10-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Administrator

but the Yankees won convincingly.

Old 10-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

If El-Duque is back into form, he could really take advantage of the confused Boston hitters. He is very crafty and entertaining IMO.

Lowe on the other hand has been ineffective against NY, especially Matsui, Sheffield and Bernie.

I expect one or the other to get lit up early.

.....but I also expected a 7 game, extra innings, no holds barred epic struggle.

....and yes, send more cigars

Old 10-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Old 10-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ChuckkieB

The Yankees pitching is suspect. Lieber pitched the game of his life in game 2. I wouldn't expect the same next time around. This is the weakest staff the Yankees have had in years and yet they're coasting to the World Series. Unbelievable.

Old 10-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

what a hitting team...certainly better than past Yankee teams...apparently makes up for the suspect pitching.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: honus3415

Is this the start of the greatest comback in ALCS history????

or just another cruel joke played on their fans by the Red Sox???

Guess we'll have to wait and see....my guess is it's a joke.

Hope not....but I do believe in the "Curse of the Bambino".

Old 10-18-2004, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Better than Red Sox win no games...

Old 10-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

"Is this the start of the greatest comback in ALCS history????
or just another cruel joke played on their fans by the Red Sox???"

I fear it's the latter, just stringing us along a little more before they lose again, trying to get us excited about a miracle comeback that won't happen. On the other hand, if they were going to break the curse, they couldn't do it any more dramatically then winning 4 straight after being down 3-0 by the Yankees, but, like hoping against hope that they'll actually win a World Series some day it's only a wistful fantasy.

To quote Mr. William Joel:

"It's just a fantasy,
It's not the real thing"

Old 10-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

...it's an extra game of intense baseball we get to see. Last year's NLCS and ALCS might have been more of cliff-hangers, but this is still good baseball. The Red Sox just have to take it a game at a time, and put together a 4-game win streak.

Old 10-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Administrator

...it only starts getting interesting when it get to a "Do or Die" situtation in any series.

When my team loses out, I only start paying attention when it gets to that point in a series. It's only then that the true character of a team shows.

I'd loan Mickey Lolich to Boston if I could. The '68 Tigers was my greatest favorite team comback. It happen just as I was entering my sports prime....oh how I wanted to follow in the steps of Al Kaline.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Two games is better than no games...

Old 10-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Administrator

fourteen innings and the red sox FINALLY win. now if the red sox were ever going to break the curse, being the first team ever to come back from 3-0 to beat the yankees would certainly be doing it in style.

of course then they would still have to beat the cardinals, i mean the astros, i mean the cardinals - well, one of those teams anyway.

now if the curse is especially cruel, the red sox WILL come back from beating the yankees and the blow the series. oy, the stress!

still skeptical (but with hope still vaguely stirring),
gary

Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Administrator

I'd sure hate to be a Yankee player\fan and have to explain to the Bambino messing up his "Curse".

Teams have to hate it, when the pressure is on them because the other team has nothing to loose.

Great game 5 by all four teams last night. Bartender, I'll take two more of the same.

Is it just me or does Ortiz remind anyone else of a left-handed George Scott?

Old 10-19-2004, 05:46 AM
Administrator

"Is it just me or does Ortiz remind anyone else of a left-handed George Scott?"
He reminds me a hulluva lot of Mo Vaughn

Old 10-19-2004, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Guys,
This is the curse at it's finest! Instilling false hope in the Sox and there fans is the whole essence of the "Curse". The Yanks will probably lose another close one at the stadium and then cruely steal the 7th on a Ruben Sierra homerun. Enjoy the comeback while it last. Be well Brian

Old 10-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Yankees vs Red Sox in game 7 is baseball at it's best.

Old 10-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Administrator

....with the "Curse of the Bambino" riding on the line.

Hmmmm..not sure I like this home field advantage thing.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Three games better than no games...

Old 10-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Administrator

will be over if Boston wins a World series, not if they just beat the Yankees, although the red sox organization and its fans would love it none the less. In the '86 World Series they lost in 7 games to the Mets, in '75 they lost in 7 games to the Reds and the Yankees weren't even part of the equation. Its been 86 years since they won a World Series - will this be their year?
Looking foward to Game 7 - Brown vrs Wakefield