NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Richard L.

Default Deans cards?graded for free by their expert?

Sorry if this has been posted in the past. What a strange business model? One of their experts "professionally" accesses a grade for every card. And creates their own special flip? Am I alone in thinking this is weird? More than healthy prices to boot! They have a total of 87,000+ cards in their inventory (some are psa,sgc) with 32 feedbacks in the last month.

http://tinyurl.com/lmkdjz7
Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
They have a total of 87,000+ cards in their inventory (some are psa,sgc) with 32 feedbacks in the last month.
Lol! 1 sale a day. Their prices are just absolutely ridiculous.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Lol! 1 sale a day. Their prices are just absolutely ridiculous.
In September they have sold close to 80 items in 20 days. Still not a lot of sales for 90k items.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 PM
Archive

I met Dean this year at the National and he seemed like a nice guy and interested in helping me with my collecting needs.

We talked for a few minutes about baseball cards and after taking one of his business cards, I walked away pleased to have met him.

As far as his Ebay auctions, I recently purchased a card from him and I must say his customer service was flawless and his description of the card's condition was honest.

I'll bet if there is a card you are interested in, maybe contact him and see if he will work with you on a better price. He was willing to work with me on prices at the National.

My two cents.

Jantz
Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Default Deans Cards

Last Christmas my wife snuck one of my "needs" list and used Deans to finish out a set. I was surprised and pleased as well. She couldn't stop talking about how he helped her and the excellent customer service...

The cards were in the VGish range, a little less than I wanted (my wife has no clue and does not care, lol) so I asked her how much she spent. She refused at first, but after looking at some of his stuff on ebay and his website, I HAD to know. Well...she spent at NM+ pricing and was totally taken. I could have got the cards for easily 1/3rd on BINs in better shape. I lied to my wife and said all was good thanking her deeply for caring enough about my hobby (the gesture is AWESOME) and secretly replaced all the cards.

In my eyes...he took advantage of my wife, he can go f himself. Just my .02$. He knew he had a clueless wife, and acted accordingly. They spoke direct on the phone.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 09-21-2013, 03:43 AM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Last Christmas my wife snuck one of my "needs" list and used Deans to finish out a set. I was surprised and pleased as well. She couldn't stop talking about how he helped her and the excellent customer service...

The cards were in the VGish range, a little less than I wanted (my wife has no clue and does not care, lol) so I asked her how much she spent. She refused at first, but after looking at some of his stuff on ebay and his website, I HAD to know. Well...she spent at NM+ pricing and was totally taken. I could have got the cards for easily 1/3rd on BINs in better shape. I lied to my wife and said all was good thanking her deeply for caring enough about my hobby (the gesture is AWESOME) and secretly replaced all the cards.

In my eyes...he took advantage of my wife, he can go f himself. Just my .02$. He knew he had a clueless wife, and acted accordingly. They spoke direct on the phone.
Wow, did you ever call and address this issue with him? Seems like it would be worth a discussion that should give him a chance to to the right thing.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 09-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post

I am sorry that this happened to you ...as a collector, I realize my wife wants to help my collection also. To avoid something like this from happening, I ask for paypal gift certificates. Wife still feels like she helped, I pick the cards.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Robert Klevens

I don't think it is strange. Before there were grading companies the only way to advertise a card was for the seller to give it a grade. We used to buy cards from price lists, The Trader Speaks or SCD and cards were graded Vg/Ex, Ex/Mt and so on and this was without seeing an image of the card. My comment was in regards to their grading style and nothing to do with their prices.

Last edited by prestigecollectibles; 09-20-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added final sentence
Old 09-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Jason Wells

One cool thing about there flip is you can scan it with a smartphone or tablet and upload the scans.I have purchased a few cards from them recently and agree with the assessed grade.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
One cool thing about there flip is you can scan it with a smartphone or tablet and upload the scans.I have purchased a few cards from them recently and agree with the assessed grade.
Are they accessible without using the QR code?

I think they're on to something with that. The reason grading in coins got any traction was the old certificates didn't even have pictures. Swapping coins was common. About the time slabbing came around the people doing the certs started adding pictures.
Slabbing worked well for coins, the holders were a bit better than most. It was also a natural for cards since many people put the better cards in screwdown holders. It didn't work for stamps. It's just too hard to put the slab into an album. They still grade, but with a cert that has a picture added.

A minimal holder with an available scan wouldn't be bad at all. But if it's only the QR code it's just too easy for someone to have their own and direct it to a fake website.

I'm not a big fan of having the huge sticker obscuring half of the card back though, even if it is on the holder.

Something in between could work very well.

Steve B
Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaddict View Post
Sorry if this has been posted in the past. What a strange business model? One of their experts "professionally" accesses a grade for every card. And creates their own special flip? Am I alone in thinking this is weird? More than healthy prices to boot! They have a total of 87,000+ cards in their inventory (some are psa,sgc) with 32 feedbacks in the last month.

http://tinyurl.com/lmkdjz7
77k of their listings are auctions...ebay is offering 1M free auction listings from 9/15 through 9/25, thus their current high inventory level.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 09-20-2013 at 09:03 PM.