NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Default Beckett Graded Card Investor

Posted By: James Gallo

I recently picked up the second issue of this mag and was impressed. I thought the coverage of sets was great. The listed key sales of all the grading companies and listed a lot of sets not in SMR.

I enjoyed the article on the 1953 topps set as well as the M101-4/5 article.

I am wondering with Beckett pushing this new vintage angle and with the new joining with JSA is beckett trying to push up the ladder in the vintage market as well.

Why do people look down on vintage Beckett cards?

Just some thoughts on this crazy week.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

James,

I liked it. I also think their pricing is more accurate overall than the SMR. Certainly more aggressive.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

James, How does the M101-5/4 article look? I think one of the upcoming issues of Old Cardboard will have a Sporting News article too.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Holt

I sometimes enjoy their magazines but don't think much of their grading for the reason that they grade cards, publish prices for their graded cards, and sell their graded cards. Their conflicts of interest have conflicts. I've bought Beckett graded cards but then quickly cracked them out (sending plastic shrapnel throughout my house as their holders are semi bombproof) and sent them to PSA or SGC depending on the set.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I really like Beckett's grading system.

It is nice to see opinions on four criteria and then an overall grade.
And the slabs have a nice feel to them.

What I dislike is the little baggie inside the slab making it very difficult /
or impossible to scan without distortion.

Its annoying - and I am sure it hurts efforts to resell the cards.
And it definitely hurts the 'free advertising' they would get when people would share scans.

They should consider eliminating that baggie.

Until then - I will have to cross this card at some point.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Gorgeous card - goes without saying.

What is the point of that baggie? Is it UV protected? Is it waterproof in case you drop your slab in the toilet?

Old 11-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

The thought of the baggie is 2 fold. The card does not bang against the hard edge of a holder. The main reason was to have the edge of the card visible. I believe that I was told that it water proof also. Beckett has dropped the four individual grades for vintage cards. I have not given them any cards for grading after the first six months of their BVG start up. BVG does not have the respect of the vintage collectors, with a few minor exceptions.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I have no idea what the 'grand idea' behind the baggie is.

but, I would assume a vast majority of the transactions of graded cards in this hobby are done based on a scan (eBay, Auction Houses, N54, emails, etc.). (80% + of transactions? just a guess)

To have an issue with your slab's 'scan-ability' is something that I would consider a must-fix problem.

Whatever the benefit of the baggie is, I think the lack of scan-ability is outweighing its importance.

edit: Marty - I did not see your post when I was posting... thanks for the info/reasoning behind the baggie. I still think they should scrap the baggie idea.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I don't see how the baggie stops the cards from hitting the edges - look at the Johnson above - the left side is flush.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Regarding the baggie in the Beckett holders...in looking at a couple of mine, it appears that another reason for them may be cost. The inner area for the card on both holders is the same size, even though the items (a "regular size" Topps card and a 1" disk) are drastically different sizes. The baggie is then sealed around each item to obtain a snug fit.

So with the baggie, Beckett can make all their holders the exact same size, and allow for different sized cards by sealing the baggie in different places according to the cards size.

Steve