NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Default Beckett's Graded Card Investor Magazine

Does anyone here subscribe to Graded Card Investor (GCI)?

I just received a copy of Beckett's Sports Card Monthly (SCM), with a notice that GCI has been discontinued "due to increasing paper & postage costs, as well as a limited reader base." They've converted all GCI subscriptions, to SCM subscriptions.

So, it looks like SMR is the only remaining publication devoted to graded and/or vintage card prices.

As for me, I immediately fired off an email to Beckett, cancelling my subscription and requesting a refund. I have absolutely no use for SCM, as I collect limited football, don't collect basketball or hockey at all, and don't collect the new shiny stuff. SCM only shows prices for post-1980 cards.

Steve
Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Jason Albregts

I guess that explains why I couldn't find a copy of GCI in the bookstore today. They should refund your money, SCM is a a poor excuse for a price guide.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:22 PM
FredYoung

Sorry to hear that--I thought GCI was alot better than SMR.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 PM
John Hanssen

Default to bad

I liked that Mag - found the pricing info a lot of help - and really enjoyed the writting about vintage issues. That is were I found a great write-up on Leon and Net54 that helped me find this site. Page 20 Sept/Oct 2008 pictured with his daughter and talkinga about 1922 T231 Frank Baker.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
I That is were I found a great write-up on Leon and Net54 that helped me find this site. Page 20 Sept/Oct 2008 pictured with his daughter and talkinga about 1922 T231 Frank Baker.
That's probably why it went under.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
That's probably why it went under.
Probably....
Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Brian T.

I was a subscriber until yesterday when I received the same notice. I too immediately called Beckett to cancel. No worries though, I should have my refund check in 60-90 days.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

This happens a lot with Beckett; I recall Beckett Vintage bit the dust the minute I subscribed and it got converted to some shiny card price guide. It's all about the digital edition now with liquid product like vintage cards. This is why I use VCP and not a two month out of date magazine.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM

As the photo advisor, Beckett gave me a free year's subscription to their general sports card magazine. It was about the modern stuff, but I thought it was an entertaining read. I enjoyed it. I also got a subscription to the graded magazine, but I didn't have personal use for the price guide so can't judge.

Last edited by drc; 07-09-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Bill

I had sent a check in a few months back to subscribe for the first time and a few weeks ago they sent my check back with a letter stating they are discontinuing the magazine and will be incorporating some of the graded stuff into their other existing monthlies. I was a little bummed. I was hoping for a graded price guide in magazine format other than SMR.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default got the new mag

I got the new mag in the mail a few days ago. I have a very limited interest in new cards but will check it out and see.....
Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ok...

So I went through the magazine and it's actually not bad at all. It's just written for a different audience than the mag it is replacing. Being that I am now getting a bit more knowledge of the new card market, through my endeavors, it is good magazine for that part of the hobby, imo. It is much different than GCI and the old Vintage mag. If I didn't have an interest in the new card market I wouldn't care too much for it. There was a good section on the Industry conference that was held in Las Vegas. (I believe)

The new folks at that magazine just better not interview me as it will be the kiss of death if they do .

PS...btw, the Beckett guys did proactively offer a refund if anyone doesn't want the new magazine. I have seen worse ways of doing things.

Last edited by Leon; 07-11-2010 at 09:16 AM.