NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Championship Rings - Primarily Sports

Old 01-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Default Rating the Super Bowl Rings

This being Super Bowl week, I thought I would offer my thoughts …

Most Beautiful Super Bowl Ring_ 1.) 1971 Dallas Cowboys. A gorgeous design that is timeless. The diamond-studded blue star surrounded by diamonds is mesmerizing. This ring is as stunning now as the day it was issued. 2). 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers. A classic and tasteful ring. The five trophy setting against the backdrop of the black onyx makes this ring the most beautiful of the team’s six Super Bowl rings. 3). Tie between 2009 New Orleans Saints. Understated elegance. This ring is an example of a team logo that was made for a championship ring .. and 1986 New York Giants. The next to last Super Bowl ring to feature a large highlight stone, the diamond-studded trophy set against the blue stone makes for a classic appearance.

Ugliest Super Bowl Ring_ 1). I hate to criticize any ring but the 2000 Baltimore Ravens has to top the list. Some logos are just not meant to be the centerpiece of a ring, even worse when the logo is studded with jewels. The Ravens’ logo is cartoon-ish at best and detracts from the beauty of the rest of the ring. 2). 2011 New York Giants. This style just does nothing for me. Innovation gone bad. 3). 1997 and 1998 Denver Broncos. Though not as bad as the Ravens’ ring, these two suffer from the bad logo syndrome.

Most Disappointing Super Bowl Ring_ 1). A tie between the 1981 San Francisco 49ers and the 1982 Washington Redskins. The cross-finger football-shaped design had been used to death by 1981. While both rings are beautiful in their own way, the basic designs lacked originality. 3). 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers. I have a salesman sample of this ring and I can attest it is a beautiful ring. The disappointment is that after waiting 42 years for a championship, team management chose a solitaire diamond design, eschewing the multiple-diamonds effect that had become standard by 1974. This ring is the last Super Bowl championship ring to contain a single diamond.

Silliest Super Bowl Ring_ 1). 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers. I call this the Scattershot Ring because it looks like a jeweler threw a handful of diamonds at the ring and set them wherever they landed. In the Age of Excess, this is excess gone bad. 2). 1990 New York Giants. Two football-shaped diamonds set within a blue football makes for a clumsy design. 3). Tie ’89 and ’94 San Francisco 49ers and ’92, ’93 and ’95 Dallas Cowboys. All of them are beautiful rings. I pick these only because the ring tops only feature the team name and not the title won. At least the Dallas rings include the entire team name; the Niners didn’t even go that far.

All Time Ugliest Championship Ring Ever Made_ Though not a Super Bowl ring, the 1978 Dallas Cowboys NFC championship ring is nonpareil for ugliness. Too ugly to describe. WHAT were they thinking? It is as if management was punishing the team for not winning back-to-back Super Bowls.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Wow, what a great topic and a lot of thought obviously went into your selections:

We all see things differently, but I agree with a lot of what you said.

I love the Cowboys Super Bowl XII ring, it is a balance of elegance but has a lot of bling and is actually a nice size so the ring can be worn comfortably.

To me, the most classic Super Bowl ring is the Colts Super Bowl V ring. So simple, yet beautiful and classic.

My least favorites, like you, are the Steelers last ring (who designed that one???) and Packers Super Bowl II ring.

An interesting story about the Steelers Super Bowl XL ring that you like - the ring is so small, the players were quite upset that the ring was so much smaller than the rings other teams were issuing and that's one reason their ring, three seasons later, was so darn huge.

Another favorite ring of mine is the Patriots Super Bowl XXXIX ring. It's like those million dollar Farrarris - so impractical but amazing to look at!

Here are some of the rings we are discussing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00020201.jpg (28.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 00075801.jpg (29.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 00004801.jpg (29.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 00000301.jpg (39.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 00134601.jpg (30.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 00305601.jpg (29.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 00203101.jpg (24.1 KB, 29 views)