NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2019, 06:41 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have spoken with a half a dozen board members (hobby friends) the last few days. None of them had realized Manny (Setbuilder), the OP, has been banned for not being who he says he is, or at a minimum, not being able or wanting to prove his identity. Kind of weird. My guess is one id issue isn't related to the other autograph forgery issues. My guess, and this is only a guess, is this imposter might have uncovered a fraud situation without being involved other than outing it. Which is sort of the MO of who this is believed to be, or associated with. A positive id always has, and will be, required for membership here.

I obviously don't know all the 'inner" details why Manny was banned but if you were a guy responsible for outing a "huge" fake signature/forgery scam, would you really want your name out there this day and age?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I obviously don't know all the 'inner" details why Manny was banned but if you were a guy responsible for outing a "huge" fake signature/forgery scam, would you really want your name out there this day and age?
He found pictures of the unsigned cards on the internet and matched them to pictures of the signed cards. This was all public information that anyone could’ve stumbled across. I’m not minimizing the good detective work, however it’s not like he was an informant blowing the whistle. To assert he would be in some sort of danger for pointing out pictures on public websites is a bit melodramatic.

And secondly, Leon has stated repeatedly that his name would not become public.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:08 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
He found pictures of the unsigned cards on the internet and matched them to pictures of the signed cards. This was all public information that anyone could’ve stumbled across. I’m not minimizing the good detective work, however it’s not like he was an informant blowing the whistle. To assert he would be in some sort of danger for pointing out pictures on public websites is a bit melodramatic.

But nobody noticed it, or at least brought it forward but Manny?

Like I said in my above post, I don't know all the "Inner" details but if I were Manny, I don't think I'd want my full name known either. Unlike you, I happen to think a lot of money and reputations were lost on this scam being exposed, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by irv; 03-12-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Unlike you, I happen to think a lot of money and reputations were lost on this scam being exposed, but that's just my opinion.
Where did I state this?

This is why you can't rationally debate a point on the internet. People just make stuff up.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 03-13-2019 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-13-2019, 07:03 AM
Brendan Mullen

To assert he would be in some sort of danger for pointing out pictures on public websites is a bit melodramatic.

What was exposed could potentially cost the forgers tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars. People have been harmed/killed for way less. I'm not trying to be dramatic at all, but many people don't appreciate someone messing with their money; illegally gained or not. I can certainly see his hesitation in giving all of his information.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Quote:
Where did I state this?

This is why you can't rationally debate a point on the internet. People just make stuff up.
Right above in the bolded section. The same bolded section I highlighted in my original reply to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
To assert he would be in some sort of danger for pointing out pictures on public websites is a bit melodramatic.

What was exposed could potentially cost the forgers tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars. People have been harmed/killed for way less. I'm not trying to be dramatic at all, but many people don't appreciate someone messing with their money; illegally gained or not. I can certainly see his hesitation in giving all of his information.
Some get it some don't I guess, Brendan.

Last edited by irv; 03-13-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Right above in the bolded section. The same bolded section I highlighted in my original reply to you.

Some get it some don't I guess, Brendan.
I never stated money and reputations were NOT lost by exposing this scam. Of course they were. I just don't believe "Manny" is in danger for doing so. No more so than Chris Williams, Steve Cyrkin and other hobby crusaders who have been exposing these criminals for years.

I'm not going to waste my time reviewing my resume of exposing fakes and forgers over the past 20+ years, but I've done it all under my own name -- Steve Zarelli. And I've never lost a minutes sleep worrying about it.

Dale Irvin, I'm not going to give you anything else to mischaracterize or twist, so I'm out.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Fred

Does anybody remember the sitcom "Soap" that ran from 1977 - 1981?

This reminds me of that sitcom....

I have to believe that most of us don't care who the perp is at this time.

We'd just like to be re-assured that something is being done about it.

If the auction houses that sell these items only eat the losses and do nothing else because they don't want to spend the time required to resolve the issue, then that pretty much tells us the state of this hobby.

If I find out that auction houses are doing that and I find out which auction houses have done that, then I WILL NOT BID IN THEIR AUCTIONS ANY MORE. Simple as that. Unfortunately, we couldn't get a united front on that because nobody seems to give a shit....
Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Yes, I care. This is a hobby that has given me so much