NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2014, 04:36 AM
Mike

Default Exposing an eBay Reprint Listing is One Thing...

Many of us here have exposed eBay listings of reprints being sold as original cards. We have put the word out, at the least, alerting and educating fellow board members. More than a few times, we have even succeeded in getting the listings removed, either by informing the seller of his mistake or reporting them to eBay. That is the easy part. My question is whether or not anyone here has ever successfully won or bought a card that was listed as a reprint by a stand-up seller who wasn't sure, because you correctly identified the card as the real deal? That would take balls of brass based on a scan. Saying it is a reprint and not buying it is one thing. Saying, correctly, that it is not a reprint, when it is being offered as one and laying out the cash, is another. Any brass balls on the board? I have come close but never pulled the trigger.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 05-03-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I wake up this fine morning and the first two posts on the board greeting me concern brass balls and floppy TaTa's. Is this really the image we want to project to the lurkers? Lets upgrade this forum to a rotating flop house swiveling on high grade ball bearings.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:03 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I wake up this fine morning and the first two posts on the board greeting me concern brass balls and floppy TaTa's. Is this really the image we want to project to the lurkers? Lets upgrade this forum to a rotating flop house swiveling on high grade ball bearings.
Don't forget to mention Kate Upton in a wet tee shirt on the " What card or set has kept your excitement for collecting going strong?" thread.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Frank,
Back in the glory days of ebay, I took several chances on cards with listings like "unknown" and "possible reprint". Back then, I actually had a saved search for "unknown" because people would list things that they knew nothing about or were unsure of. I bought a delong Klein listed as a "new gum card"...very happy when I got it and it was real.

Several w and e-cards came to me this way as well...

with better scans, more knowledgeable collectors, and more reprint sellers, I dont take the chance or the time to search and rarely see anything listed incorrectly as a reprint anymore.

joshua
Old 05-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Don't forget to mention Kate Upton in a wet tee shirt on the " What card or set has kept your excitement for collecting going strong?" thread.

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 05-03-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
What page is that on again?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Marc

I won this card on eBay, listed as a reprint, for $1.26. It was raw at the time, of course. The seller was former MLB player, Spook Jacobs, interestingly enough. Apparently he was a collector, but for some reason identified this one as a reprint. Good scan and everything (better than mine )...I was shocked that there were not more bids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206bush 001.jpg (69.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg t206bush 002.jpg (73.0 KB, 231 views)
Old 05-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
OK, am I the only one who went over to that thread just now??
Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Frank,
Back in the glory days of ebay, I took several chances on cards with listings like "unknown" and "possible reprint". Back then, I actually had a saved search for "unknown" because people would list things that they knew nothing about or were unsure of. I bought a delong Klein listed as a "new gum card"...very happy when I got it and it was real.

Several w and e-cards came to me this way as well...

with better scans, more knowledgeable collectors, and more reprint sellers, I dont take the chance or the time to search and rarely see anything listed incorrectly as a reprint anymore.

joshua

Yup, those were the days. I picked up a lot of about 15 Fan Craze cards, including several HOF'ers, for a song back in the day, listed as unknown playing cards.

Been a long while since stuff like that was possible for me.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
OK, am I the only one who went over to that thread just now??
No, just the only one to return
Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've had some good luck on Ebay. Not necessarily cards, but I did have a few good buys on odd listings.

Pretty beat George C Miller that was listed as "old baseball card" And described as "maybe from the 30's?" Yes, that was the whole description. And I was the only bidder

Recently, a T206 listed as trimmed that almost certainly isn't. It's short, but the edges seem factory, and it's VG with no odd wear, just typically rounded corners.

Now with bicycles and stamps I've done very well spotting stuff that's been listed very poorly, often as a BIN.

A batch of bike parts that showed three parts, but said in the listing pumphead(235)each dropout set(50) each etc, So I asked if it was just what was shown, or if it was actually 235 of one part and 50 of the other. The answer - Yes, 235 of one, 50 of another, plus some other stuff and a few partial dropout sets. All for I think 250 BIN and 25 shipping. About 3-4K retail.

The stuff I've picked up for my collection has been more fun though. And I'm often the only bidder.

Steve B