NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Default Mordecai Brown autograph question

Posted By: Scott Sarian

Hi,

I own the pictured Mordecai Brown autograph, which I've owned (bought framed and matted as seen) for probably 15-20 years.

I am contemplating selling it at this time, and have a couple of questions:

1.) For vintage autographs such as this, which is the best choice for authentication? PSA/DNA vs SGC vs Spence?

2.) Have any similar cut sigs from Brown sold at all recently? I haven't been able to locate any similar items for sale.

3.) Is anyone here familiar enough with his signature to give me your educated opinion?

Thanks!
Scott

Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Coach's Corner purchase?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Administrator

I didn't buy it from there, but I can't vouch for where it came from before I owned it. I hope it's not from CC, but can't swear either way.

Any tell-tale signs that it might be from the dreaded Coach's Corner??

Old 01-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Curtis

Old 01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Scott:

I am afraid it's a fake as well. Not even close, really. I would not waste the $$ even submitting this one. Where did you obtain this?

If you want to view an authentic one, you can check lot #292 of the current Sotheby's/SCP Auction. It will sell for $800 - $1,000. Sorry for the bad news

Old 01-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator

I haven't seen the one in SCP yet, but, unless it's covered with tape or enhanced, will put a wager on that it will sell for even more that your estimate. 1908 Cubbies have all dramatically risen in value over the last year, with the HOFers skyrocketing as we speak!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info, although Jodi - not sure I understand the Wikipedia link?

I had questions about this one - thought it looked OK but didn't have a lot of faith - but am glad you can confirm for me.

Scott

Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

You're probably right, Jodi...

No tape or any other distractions. It is perfectly centered and is signed, "Mordecai Brown A Cub". It is a Standard Index Card, encapsulated by PSA, and Graded "8".

I was estimating, using previous prices realized, but I bet you are right about it going higher. These have just become so darned scarce. Last time one of these was offered, I had to drop out at $800.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

I guess it will go for about $1800. I saw a nice cut go at auction for that price less than a year ago. An index card should fetch that.